The mos PERFECT jacket (for me)!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Marc
Vendor

The mos PERFECT jacket (for me)!!!

Post by Marc »

Hi gang,

I can finally announce that the jacket of my dreams has become reality and is now mine :)

When I saw the horsehide jacket of my buddy Jens during the last European summit at Peter's place, I knew I had to have one. So I talked to Peter to see if he could make one to my specs. (i.e. smaller pockets than standard, different inner pocket facing and all the other funny things I can come up with). Peter aggreed and I went back to Germany after a great summit again.

Fast forward some months and I found a small plastic bag in front of my door when I came home (I was quite surprised to see that I was supposed to have signed for the parcel on the internet the very next day, simply because I never did...) and I tore it open.

First impression: boy this is heavy. Almost like wearing an armor. Later I compared to my Wested goatskin instead of my Barbour wax cotton jacket and compared to that, it's not THAT heavy, but you won't forget that you're wearing it though ;)

Second impression: man that thing is stiff!!! Again: compared to the Barbour wax cotton jacket - which makes everything seems rather stiff. Compared to my goatskin, it was still stiff, but it has losened up considerable since (I've had it for two weeks now) and I think in 2-3 years it'll drape really nicely :) I know that to some this would be completely out of range, but going by my preferences of "what would a guy like Indy - if he had existed - chose for his adventures?" - rather than the thought of a replica of a costume, this is EXACTLY what I want. If you should ever feel the need to be drugged behind a truck, this would be the jacket to chose.

I'm extremely pleased to see that Peter nailed all the details asked for and that I can put this quest to rest without going through the trouble to make it myself ;D

Here are the pictures:

and of course the standard pictures of the jacket worn:

Thank you SO much for this truly wonderfull jacket Peter!!! :clap:

HIGH regards,

Marc
Last edited by Marc on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

WOW :shock: That is a very beautiful jacket Marc :notworthy:
I think I´ll ask you some time for the special patterns etc. to get such a nice Wested as well :wink:
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Marc

WOW! Those pocket flaps are the best example I have seen! Are those a specific detail you asked for? They appear to be patterned on PLATON's pocket specs...

Very nice! I think I am going to have to break down and order a HH wested, too! :lol:

C3
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Thats absolutely an awesome looking jacket Marc, congrats! And I agree those pockets are the best, that's how I want mine to look. These HH Indy's will definately be some of the best looking jackets when they get good and old.

Doug C
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Very nice jacket Marc...I have to get off my ..... and order one like that. I've been debating it for a long time....I can't wait any longer.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Perfect!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Perfect! :clap:
It really is perfect even in fit. Would I be correct to assume this is a Raiders fit?

There is just something about a Wested! I'm due for a new one soon if I can't reduce the amount of distressing I've accumulated.
Because I wear it with a shirt tie and AB, I need it to look dressier at times.
I really should have got one for work, and one for the bush.

As for stiffness, I think Michaelson has a trick for softening it up in a dryer.
"With no heat" I think he put his in a pillow case and put it in for some time on tumble.

Now that's just what I remember but I'd check with him just in case. My memory can be sketchy at times eh! Sorry...

Cheers
Kilgour Trout
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, that's _'s trick, and works wonders with a stiff jacket.

It's been done successfully with stiff cowhide, goatskin AND horsehide.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

marc, that's one of the best fitting wested's i've seen bar none. congrats :D

one thing i did notice though is that peter placed the arm seam above the yoke seam. typically i've seen them dead even with this seam for some of their regular fit jackets and of course below the seam for 80's cut......was this something you requested?

regardless the fit is spot on.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Thanks for the kind feedback guys :D It's nice to see how other gearheads share my joy over this jacket!
Those pocket flaps are the best example I have seen! Are those a specific detail you asked for? They appear to be patterned on PLATON's pocket specs...
I gave Peter a pattern for the pockets incl. the distance to the hem.
It really is perfect even in fit. Would I be correct to assume this is a Raiders fit?
Yes, absolutely. All my gear is Raiders, so the same with the jacket.
one thing i did notice though is that peter placed the arm seam above the yoke seam. typically i've seen them dead even with this seam for some of their regular fit jackets and of course below the seam for 80's cut......was this something you requested?
I requested the seams being even, but I'm not gonna send it back because of that 8)

Regards,

Marc
JEEP
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JEEP »

Nice jacket there buddy :D:tup:

Can't wait to see it close-up.

Regards.

Jakob
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Congrats Marc,
Is the HH smooth like the lamb or grainy?
Can you provide a scan of the leather?

brgds,
PLATON
Ace
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ace »

Cool new jacket there Marc.
We need to test it behind a real truck ASAP :D but I guess you're right....It will stand the beatings.

Regards
Ace
Niob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Niob »

Fantastic lookin Wested Marc. I think i have to order a HH from Wested, too. :D
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Marc been following that from it's inception way back at the eurosummit. Nice proportions and fab leather. That horse has got a bit of heft to it, eh?

Enjoy! Those pocket flaps are already picking up some nice creases.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Very nice! You gonna keep the D-rings?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Is the HH smooth like the lamb or grainy?
Can you provide a scan of the leather?
It's quite smooth. If you look at the picture of the underarm gusset, it'll give you a good idea of the texture.
Marc been following that from it's inception way back at the eurosummit.
It's been some days, but I've told Peter that I'm not in a hurry and I truly wasn't. Besides: THAT jacket is worth QUITE a wait IMO.

I'll most probably exchange the D-rings with some square ones sooner or later. But since they're black it doesn't bother me as much as the brass ones would do.

Regards,

Marc
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Horsehide! The grainy texture is gorgeous.

Wow, it looks heavy. :shock: I think that lends a vintage look that thinner, lighter jackets just can’t. It brings to mind a quality A2 repro.

Congratulations! :tup:

- Mac
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

:-k Hmmm. I'm not sure I like this jacket at all.
You see if I admitted that I liked it I WOULD HAVE TO GET ONE ALSO!
#-o now I did it, sigh have to save up now.

Congrats my friend, looks just as great as when I saw it for 30 secs. on Vejle railroad station.

Best regards,
Kim
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Marc I'm taking the plunge based on your post :shock:
It looks too good - I've already posted Gemma that it's a go. I'll definitely be posting when it arrives....
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Yeah - HH Wested wearers of the world unite!

Congrats on the jacket Marc!! Glad everything went smoothly with your order. I see you also went for the no-leather-facings. I think this is a big factor in drape.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

After the TREMENDOUES response on that jacket, I called up Peter yesterday, to discuss how to handle this the best. We agreed that posting 4 pages of specs. wouldn't help any, as some would simply copy and paste this, without even knowing what exactly they're ordering (no pun intended, but just yesterday I mentioned a few changes to a fellow fans and he didn't understand beans of what I was saying).

So I offered Peter to send HIM the specs. again together with the patterns of the pockets etc. He agreed and I'm not sure if he wants to modify his patterns in general or if he wants to offer a "Marc's specs." jacket or whatever, but at least you should then have the possibility to order one just alike.
sigh have to save up now.
I'd wait until Peter announce that it's a go. I haven't scrapped all the specs. together yet and I need to make a new pocket pattern.

Nick, I cannot comment for the other hides. A horsehide jacket however has CERTAINLY enough "body" to keep the zip from grapping the liner by itself.

Oh! Another thing yet. The fit that I ordered is "for shirts only". If I'd want to wear a pullover underneath, it wouldn't fly. This add a little to the "80's cut fit" IMO.

Regards,

Marc
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Although the HH looks great, I'd love to see a lambskin with these specs.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Marc,

Did you ask any mods on the sleeves? or are they standard?

Thanks,
Platon
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

They are a little narrower than on my last Wested and the opening for the sleeves on the jacket are a bit higher. That - combined with the underarm gussets - prevent the jacket from doing any "squirl effects".

Regards,

Marc
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Thanks Marc,

Can you please let me know

1. what size is your jacket
2. what is the measurement of the sleeve at the elbow
3. what is the measurement of the cuff opening (i.e. what the end of sleeve measures 'across' with the sleeve laying flat with the end stretching out the cuff)

Thanks and regards,
Platon
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

No problem:

These measurements were taken from Peter:

Chest: 40“, Waist: 36“, Sleeve: 25“, Neck to shoulder: 7“, Back length: 25“, Neck: 16“

Measuring "flat" the sleeve is 19.4cm at the elbow (7.638") and 13.1cm in the cuff opening (5.157").

Regards,

Marc
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

That's interesting Marc - In Gemma's email to me she states it would be no problem doing a jacket like yours....maybe I should call and talk to Peter directly to make sure they know what I'm talking about.
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Yeah :o looks really good Marc!I like the color very much.Mine is an similar one.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

No problem:

These measurements were taken from Peter:

Chest: 40“, Waist: 36“, Sleeve: 25“, Neck to shoulder: 7“, Back length: 25“, Neck: 16“

Measuring "flat" the sleeve is 19.4cm at the elbow (7.638") and 13.1cm in the cuff opening (5.157").

Regards,

Marc
Last night I measured the sleeve of my standard 40R and it measures 19cm at the elbow and 14cm at the cuff opening.

So, if yours is 'tapered' means that it's tapered from the elbow and down? Because my idea of SA sleeve is a narrower sleeve without the excess leather around the elbow. Welcome your comments.

Also, I notice that the sleeve of your jacket measures the same as the back i.e. 25 inches.

This is how your jacket compares to the standard

Standard Marc's
Sleeve 24.25 25
Back 25 25

So what you actually did was order 0.75 inch longer sleeve.

Yet, in the photo below

judging from your right arm, it seems to me that your sleeve is short (or that you have long arms). In my standard jacket the sleeves appear longer and the distance from end of cuff to bottom of jacket is 2.36 inches and seems a lot less to the eye than what I see in your above photo.

What's your distance there?

I mean, look at the distance between end of sleeve end of jacket here

The color of your jacket is great by the way.
Travner Ravenweird
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travner Ravenweird »

Dang it! I think that's the jacket I want! I'm torn between this one and the US wings VIP
I gotta sell some of my junk......
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, comparing the two, keep in mind that the Wings VIP is physically a very heavy weight jacket. Key word, 'heavy'. I have one, and love it, but it's a one season jacket for me.It's the perfect winter cold weather storm jacket.

The Wested HH jacket, on the other hand will be stronger due to the fact it is horsehide, but physically lighter in felt weight.

Just depends on what you're needing your jacket to do.

Regards! Michaelson
Travner Ravenweird
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travner Ravenweird »

Michaelson wrote:Well, comparing the two, keep in mind that the Wings VIP is physically a very heavy weight jacket. Key word, 'heavy'. I have one, and love it, but it's a one season jacket for me.It's the perfect winter cold weather storm jacket.

The Wested HH jacket, on the other hand will be stronger due to the fact it is horsehide, but physically lighter in felt weight.

Just depends on what you're needing your jacket to do.

Regards! Michaelson
Look good, be tough, and last a long time.
I guess I'm used to heavier cow hide jackets due to the ones I've owned in the past. Maybe I'm a little afraid of lighter hides like lamb or goat because I don't really have any 'wear experience' with them. I do know I'd like something to last me through the two jacket seasons up here (Mid September to mid December and March through mid May) and will keep a blast of North wind off when that comes around but not nessisarily a 'coat weight' jacket like my old Minneapolis Police jacket. I don't know, is that asking too much?

I wish there was a sample ring, like one would choose paint or wall paper samples, with all the leather types and fabric types from the various vendors that could be checked out or passed around so one could feel the differences with thier own fingers. Actually in typing this I wonder if Wilson's has something like that already in their mall stores. Just so I could get an idea.
Also, I wonder if and when someone like Minnesota Jones switches from Indy jacket to coat in the winter up here? I guess I could email him and ask, I wonder if he would remember me from ROTLA the Adaptation last year?
(sigh) Decisions decisions.
I do need to raise the cash first though.
Philipp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Philipp »

Hi, does anyone know if it is indeed possible to order a "Marc's specs" at Wested or not?

Does Wested accept custom orders (beyond their order form) again?