Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

Post by Chose Poorly »

Have any other 40th hats arrived to COW members yet? Curious to see more reviews!
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Chose Poorly wrote:Have any other 40th hats arrived to COW members yet? Curious to see more reviews!
Same :TOH:
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I’m still waiting on the shipping email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Still no 40th hats to be celebrated? Making me wonder if HJ is facing delays, or if very few were actually ordered…
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good question!

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I was delayed in ordering mine, so it’s still quite a ways off. Michelle told me recently that there’s currently a 14 week lead time, so it certainly doesn’t sound like there’s a lack of interest. With that said, I’m very interested to see some pics!

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Not my video, found from a HJ facebook group.

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Is this the 40th.
If it is, it’s to dark. And I hate these kinda of videos where they don’t put it on so we can see how it looks.
Kinda a hard pass for me.
My old HJ will be my only HJ

Croft :mrgreen:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Not my video, found from a HJ facebook group.

That’s the video tubasthebest posted for us here on the forum when he received his hat.
Indiana Croft wrote:Is this the 40th.
If it is, it’s to dark. And I hate these kinda of videos where they don’t put it on so we can see how it looks.

If you watch a few second passed him pulling the hat out of the box he adjusts the lighting on his camera. Either way, it’s just their current deep sable felt, not anything special for the 40th. So if you think HJ deep sable is too dark, the 40th will be too dark.
Last edited by Chose Poorly on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Indiana_Nate wrote:I was delayed in ordering mine, so it’s still quite a ways off. Michelle told me recently that there’s currently a 14 week lead time, so it certainly doesn’t sound like there’s a lack of interest. With that said, I’m very interested to see some pics!

I was quoted the same. Ordered a hat recently and was told early next year, which aligns with 14 weeks.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I placed an order early August and was given a lead of 13 weeks, and also sent a hat in to get reblocked last week and was given a 14 week lead time.

So they are consistently busy, but a wait of 13-14 weeks is nothing compared to the amount of time I’ve waited in the past.

Gerry
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Chose Poorly wrote: That’s the video tubasthebest posted for us here on the forum when he received his hat.
Thank you for responding to this. I thought it was funny to see my video posted again half a page after I posted it.

Croft, if you go back a few posts in this thread I posted multiple photos of how it looks. These were posted shortly after I posted the video. :TOH:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

tubasthebest wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote: That’s the video tubasthebest posted for us here on the forum when he received his hat.
Thank you for responding to this. I thought it was funny to see my video posted again half a page after I posted it.

Croft, if you go back a few posts in this thread I posted multiple photos of how it looks. These were posted shortly after I posted the video. :TOH:
Herbert Johnson also reposted your video review on their social channels, which I’m sure you saw.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Chose Poorly wrote:
Herbert Johnson also reposted your video review on their social channels, which I’m sure you saw.
Woah! Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea, as I'm not on any of the usual social media sites.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

tubasthebest wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
Woah! Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea, as I'm not on any of the usual social media sites.
Well they technically should have asked you first, not that anybody on COW would mind I assume. Your’s is only one of two reviews I’ve seen since the release. Other than thecoolmeister and Nate, I haven’t heard about a lot of orders of 40th hats. As mentioned, the 13-14 week lead time is somewhat standard, but I was also told that they received a lot of orders this year and are still behind on production due to diminished staff and shipping delays. Still playing COVID catch-up.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Sorry, tubasthebest, I had forgotten I had seen it here first on the previous page, but for some reason, not seeing it formatted with the youtube code, my brain jumbled whether I'd seen it here or on facebook. Anyways, happy to re-share it. :lol:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well given we're now 13-14 weeks from the release in mid June it makes sense they're just getting out to customers now. The lead times seem pretty consistent; a year ago they were still like 3 months. They're a larger operation than most custom hatters which are effectively one man operations and they have several hatters and apprentices working, and having a lead time over about 90 days is likely bad for business, so I imagine they work hard to keep it consistent.

As far as the popularity of the anniversary hat, I don't know. I do know there was a level of deflation on the forums given the price and that it's just a rabbit felt. As nice as the hat box is -- and TBH HJ should have *always* come with boxes -- it just doesn't seem enough of a value add for the price. Especially since you could get a regular custom in the same felt for considerably less.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sometimes you can overprice 'provenance'. :-k

I also wonder if the wind was knocked out of the sails (sales? ;) ) when Ford injured himself and all things 'Indy' kind of came to a screeching stop in the hobby?

Let's face it, we had a hurricane of discussion going on for while a while until that occurred, including the 40th discussions.....then, bang....nothing!

Regards! Michaelson
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Well given we're now 13-14 weeks from the release in mid June it makes sense they're just getting out to customers now. The lead times seem pretty consistent; a year ago they were still like 3 months. They're a larger operation than most custom hatters which are effectively one man operations and they have several hatters and apprentices working, and having a lead time over about 90 days is likely bad for business, so I imagine they work hard to keep it consistent.

As far as the popularity of the anniversary hat, I don't know. I do know there was a level of deflation on the forums given the price and that it's just a rabbit felt. As nice as the hat box is -- and TBH HJ should have *always* come with boxes -- it just doesn't seem enough of a value add for the price. Especially since you could get a regular custom in the same felt for considerably less.
Agree. I didn't get the impression that it was all that well received, especially considering all the buzz leading up to the release. It felt like people were overwhelmed by the price and underwhelmed by the extras. On top of that, you're talking about a special edition package built around a hat that they don't customize, so if you don't want the SoC shape, or if you wanted sable instead of deep sable, you're out of luck. I imagine anyone in the market for a hat from HJ would opt for something else unless the 40th hat matched everything they were looking for in an Indy hat and they really wanted a folding box and keychain. Even the voucher (with an expiration date) feels a bit useless for anyone who already saved to splurge on one HJ hat.

Case and point (at least for me), I decided I wanted an HJ but opted for their standard rabbit poet that I could have made to my own specs (shape, liner, embossing etc.) and saved a bunch of money since the box would sit in my closet, my keys at this point include a fob for my car and nothing else, and I'm certainly not going to be shelling out the money for another expensive hat from HJ within 12 months.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hope you didn’t think i was bash your hat, pardon the pun.
I did see the light adjustment and it made a huge difference.

The hat is a beaut for sure, I just don’t like the HJ, now once the 40’s start popping up, who knows.

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I finally found out why my hat has yet to ship! They said it’s due to them waiting on more hat boxes since the one my hat is coming with and many others are described as “less than perfect” haha so I’m like to #### with the box I don’t care if the box is trash lol I just want the hat. (I didn’t say it like that of course)
So once they read my response I should finally get a dhl confirmation email

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

thecoolmiester wrote:I finally found out why my hat has yet to ship! They said it’s due to them waiting on more hat boxes since the one my hat is coming with and many others are described as “less than perfect” haha so I’m like to #### with the box I don’t care if the box is trash lol I just want the hat. (I didn’t say it like that of course)
So once they read my response I should finally get a dhl confirmation email

Wow. They should just leave the hat box out altogether and give you a partial refund!
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Herbert Johnson also makes great Freddy hats lol

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

thecoolmiester wrote:Image

(Back up singers....) "Are you ready Freddy?" :rolling: !! ](*,) ...oops! Wrong movie score :roll: ! W>
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

jlee562 wrote:The reboot should not be judged by the standards of the pre-reboot hats. Those were, as confirmed by Michelle elsewhere on COW, the ones being bought in from Christy's and sold under the HJ label.
Wait, wait, wait, I've been a bit of a hermit - and am out of the loop ... so when people discovered how Christy's hats looked similar to HJ's all those years ago... at least, the so-called factory made hats, that was more than a mere coinkydink?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Travelsonic wrote:
jlee562 wrote:The reboot should not be judged by the standards of the pre-reboot hats. Those were, as confirmed by Michelle elsewhere on COW, the ones being bought in from Christy's and sold under the HJ label.
Wait, wait, wait, I've been a bit of a hermit - and am out of the loop ... so when people discovered how Christy's hats looked similar to HJ's all those years ago... at least, the so-called factory made hats, that was more than a mere coinkydink?
Correct. Christy's is the main UK manufacturer of fur felt hats.

Relevant excerpt from Michelle's post:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 05#p904605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NoBadDates wrote:Happy New Year to you all

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while as the workshop has been rather busy. Plus I have been on a wonderful trip to see 6 original Swales Indy Poets (more later)...

Ok lots of questions that I hope to answer for you by explaining the HJ Reboot origin story:

Herbert Johnson as you know has changed hands a few times and many things have changed for the brand since the times of Richard Swales and Raiders. The hatting industry in the UK has suffered badly.
HJ as you know is currently owned by Swaine Adeney Brigg. The owners and management here have been hoping for some years to move away from being the seller of one Christys made factory hat and back into being hatmakers.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Loving the horror gear is that a FvJ Jason hock in the back?
bantufo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bantufo »

Christys' Adventurer brim remains at the older 2 3/4" X 2 1/2" brim specs that the HJ sat on as default for years. Herbert Johnson modified their brim specs from 2 3/4" X 2 1/2" to be a bit wider when they went to the different hat blocks and FEPSA felt. If Christys' also made the change to the Adventurer Poet with a slightly wider brim it'd be a very close replica to the original Raiders hat also. It still looks great when styled right. But just as with the old factory HJ - longevity always a concern...
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

IJJTM wrote:

Loving the horror gear is that a FvJ Jason hock in the back?
Yeah buddy! It’s Freddy v Jason replica mask

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

First impression. Tom Cruise in Risky business and Freddy mixed together.

Love it all. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Haahah! Love it.... Clearly, you have a high end glove on the wall behind you. I forgot where I got my replica, but it is incredibly satisfying with the real metal blades.

I cute an Dorfman Pacific Indiana Jones down and it makes a GREAT Freddy hat.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Hedji wrote:Haahah! Love it.... Clearly, you have a high end glove on the wall behind you. I forgot where I got my replica, but it is incredibly satisfying with the real metal blades.

I cute an Dorfman Pacific Indiana Jones down and it makes a GREAT Freddy hat.
Yeah the glove in the back has real blades and a bit risky for a large gathering lol
Yeah dorfman is a good one! My old worn down christys was an option but I went with this one since it’s so fun to wear haha

These were my options.

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Indiana Croft wrote:First impression. Tom Cruise in Risky business and Freddy mixed together.

Love it all. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hahaha yeah I see that!
I’m freddys less burned cousin; Fredward Kroger

RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

I ordered the 40th as well and lead times are quite long atm I talked to them a few days ago and said I'm #108 on the list and I would be lucky if I see it by December so maybe January hopfully...
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Do you think HJ would be open to taking an Indy V order if I went to their physical shop late December?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Until it is publicly acknowledged by HJ or Disney that HJ is the hatter, I don’t think HJ will admit to anything nor take an order.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Maybe I could just order a hat there and by the time my number is up they’ll have announced Indy V involvement. :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That's a possibility, though depending on the type of felt being used, ect. it may not be possible to change from one hat style to another. Worth asking in a general way that if you order one type of hat can you change it to another later.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

jlee562 wrote:
Travelsonic wrote:
Correct. Christy's is the main UK manufacturer of fur felt hats.

Relevant excerpt from Michelle's post:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 05#p904605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NoBadDates wrote:Happy New Year to you all

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while as the workshop has been rather busy. Plus I have been on a wonderful trip to see 6 original Swales Indy Poets (more later)...

Ok lots of questions that I hope to answer for you by explaining the HJ Reboot origin story:

Herbert Johnson as you know has changed hands a few times and many things have changed for the brand since the times of Richard Swales and Raiders. The hatting industry in the UK has suffered badly.
HJ as you know is currently owned by Swaine Adeney Brigg. The owners and management here have been hoping for some years to move away from being the seller of one Christys made factory hat and back into being hatmakers.
Stupid question perhaps, but would this bear any relevance to the Christy's site claiming, and I quote:
The Christys' Adventurer/Poet - is the original 'Indiana Jones' hat
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

My interpretation is that there was a period of time that the Christy's and HJ Poets were nearly identical, save for the branding. HJ felt hats hadn't been made/styled in-house for quite a while at that point. Folks were essentially paying for the brand name, whereas the Christy's could be purchased for hundreds less.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I think there’s a lot of credibility there, even now I think some of the UK hats are coming from the same factory with differing levels of quality.

Bates hats also have a Poet which actually looks quite good, and some of their offerings like the Bruand remind me of the old HJ advertisement with all their hats together.

https://www.bates-hats.com/pages/fedoras" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best

Gerry
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

My takeaway was that even 40 years ago that, yeah, the felts got blocked all at the same factory and then depending would then get finished by Richard Swales et al in the shop -- brim trimming, sweat, liner, ribbon, flanging, and whatever other customizations. The blocking is the most industrial and messy step, other than making the felt, obviously, so it makes sense to streamline and scale that process accordingly. Especially since there are only so many feltmakers and everyone was sourcing the same felt anyway.

But yeah, they were all basically the same hat with different levels of finish.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Zendragon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zendragon »

I wouldn't say that they are the holy grail, but they are now a much better option than before. They have come a long way. From what I am seeing, their hats are the best that they have been since they originally made them. I do think that other makers do a better overall job and I think that has a lot to do with them being fans. There is an extra layer of passion that goes into them. People like Penman are artist as much as they are hat makers.

I am in the process of ordering one from HJ. Just because I want the name. I suspect that is how it is for many. Same for those who buy a Wested for the name. They may not be the best jacket, but there is a certain nostalgia that goes with the name.

On the note of color... they say that the dark saber is the hero accurate color. But in my conversation with them, they also noted that the regular sable looks more screen accurate depending on the light.
In this hobby we all know that "hero" accurate and "screen" accurate aren't always the same thing. Camera lens distortion and lighting, and color grading in post, can great play into what we see on screen. But hold the "hero" in your hand and it may look very different.

I will probably go dark sable. But who knows, maybe I can get them to send me a couple of swatches before I choose lol.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Zendragon wrote:I wouldn't say that they are the holy grail, but they are now a much better option than before. They have come a long way. From what I am seeing, their hats are the best that they have been since they originally made them. I do think that other makers do a better overall job and I think that has a lot to do with them being fans. There is an extra layer of passion that goes into them. People like Penman are artist as much as they are hat makers.

I am in the process of ordering one from HJ. Just because I want the name. I suspect that is how it is for many. Same for those who buy a Wested for the name. They may not be the best jacket, but there is a certain nostalgia that goes with the name.

On the note of color... they say that the dark saber is the hero accurate color. But in my conversation with them, they also noted that the regular sable looks more screen accurate depending on the light.
In this hobby we all know that "hero" accurate and "screen" accurate aren't always the same thing. Camera lens distortion and lighting, and color grading in post, can great play into what we see on screen. But hold the "hero" in your hand and it may look very different.

I will probably go dark sable. But who knows, maybe I can get them to send me a couple of swatches before I choose lol.
I'm in a similar predicament. I currently have a Deep Sable Beaver Poet on order, but I'm torn on color, and not even sure if I should have chosen HJ or gone with another hatter. I do know that I'm after a beaver felt fedora this time around, but having just come from an event with a lot of Indys in full gear, I'm still digesting the drastic differences in felt colors and other details of the various hats that were showcased there.

My S&J Explorador looked quite dark, with a mahogany red undertone compared to most of the other felts. The lightest of the proper Indy hats was probably the Garrison Raiders in his newly developed beaver felt color, which had a nice russet tone. But the spectrum was all over the place really. To me, the HJ Beaver that was there looked almost greenish, while the Fedoraiders SoC looked more gray (though heavily distressed).

Anyway, it probably hurt my decision making more than it helped! ](*,)
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Alright boys I got the Herbert Johnson 40th anniversary hat!!! And my goodness it... disappoints. Haha quite a bit :P

40th Herbert on my head:

Normal Herbert I shaped myself into SoC:

A real SoC made by Thomas at advintage:

The felt is super thin which I rather like, but it feels so thin that it’s even thinner and floppier than my christy hats that I own. And I own 6 christy adventurers in various colors. Not a fan of its shape or that the pinch was starched to death to keep it tight so is rock hard compared to the rest of the hat hahaha not a big deal but worth a mention for anyone wondering.

My Verdict:
Do NOT buy this hat unless you just want to say you have it as it’s a limited item. This is not worth $750 when you can get a far cheaper, beaver hat from the homie Thomas or Steele and Jones etc that look light years better and actually look like they were plucked from Harrison’s head from production haha
My two cents.

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Update:

Hat fixed

Started from scratch.
Nothing about the bash it came with said SoC

This is more like it.

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

What color is your SOC?
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

IJJTM wrote:What color is your SOC?
Which one?

Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

That's exactly why I've been on the fence about HJ but especially the anniversary hat. I can go for a thin felt, as long as it's dense... and that usually eliminates rabbit.

I had a very bad experience with a HJ *before* the reboot and I try not to let it color my opinion of the new iteration, but at the same time I've seen as many bad HJs as good HJs lately -- Weird crown dimensions, bad bashes, lazy ribbon work. From experience and observation I've seen far more consistent, high quality from AdVintage and other vendors to make the brand value-add of HJ rather irrelevant IMO. Especially since it's freakin rabbit. For that price the felt better be made from the killer rabbit of Caerbannog.