Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fortysixandtwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

Post by fortysixandtwo »

I've been going through so many older posts, reading about other hat makers who are making raiders hats since HJ of old wasn't making them or lost the blocks??
Long story short is HJ the hat to get in 2020? Would you still go with Penman, AB, advinture, fed iv, etc instead now?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

Post by Mulceber »

A Penman? Absolutely. Also probably an S&J. I would take the Penman over the HJ any day as I think the construction is better, and either of them over the HJ if I was looking to replicate a specific scene, as I don't think HJ has really mastered that. HJ has the pedigree and their materials are top notch, but I wouldn't call them the holy grail of Indy fedoras. They're another dog in the pack.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Especially depending on rabbit versus beaver.

Considering you can get a Penman Everyman Indy that's 20% beaver and still cheaper than an HJ is pretty good to me even if it's not custom.
:TOH:
fortysixandtwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fortysixandtwo »

Yeah I didn't really follow recent events in the last couple years but I've heard of Penman, AB, Steel and Jones, Advintage, Husvud and others were making great custom fedoras, pretty dead on. Also the everyman/advintage factory models look great. I was unsure about H&J because for the longest they weren't on the radar until the last couple years. Forgive me, I was catching up on threads and reading about finding the old blocks, reading about the company struggles, etc...
It's good to read that other fedora owners still like these other hat makers with the addition of HJ back in the game..
Cheers,
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I am curious about this also and would ask if anyone has a hat from all or most of these makers. Including a current HJ. I only have one hat so I can’t add to this discussion but I’m thinking about getting another and so therefore the curiosity.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Money being no object: I'd go with Penman.

On a budget: Advintage Harrison in Raiders Sable (more accurate color than Everyman and cheaper. Same hat otherwise).

HJ? Yes, but I'm still skeptical of accuracy. Those crowns look a tad too tall for my taste. Price is high and I like Penman's work.

Holy Grail: Vintage HJ (Good luck!!) There was a pretty good one on ebay a few weeks ago, listed for $200. I emailed the seller about size and he just said large. I passed, but am kicking myself as good vintage examples are super hard to come by.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I would say not.

I don’t own a current HJ, but I have two older ones including one of the Magnoli hats that Steve Delk re-blocked. The ordinary HI shrunk and tapered for the point it was unrecognizable. The Magnoli is a nice hat, but has not seen much use.

I have several Adventurebilts, a Garrison, and a number of Penmans in both Rabbit and Beaver (14 at last count including 2 ABLs)

I’ve seen and handled a newer HJ and while they are nice, I think Penman’s workmanship is better than either the old or newer HJ. If I were buying a new hat I’d go with Penman over HJ without hesitation.

(As full disclosure I have read good things about S&J and AdVintage but don’t own either and have never seen one in person.)
Garrett
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Garrett »

I've heard good things about the HJ reboot (FEPSA felt, etc.) and Michelle's work looks to be top notch.
Last edited by Garrett on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:I would say not.

I don’t own a current HJ, but I have two older ones including one of the Magnoli hats that Steve Delk re-blocked. The ordinary HI shrunk and tapered for the point it was unrecognizable. The Magnoli is a nice hat, but has not seen much use.

I have several Adventurebilts, a Garrison, and a number of Penmans in both Rabbit and Beaver (14 at last count including 2 ABLs)

I’ve seen and handled a newer HJ and while they are nice, I think Penman’s workmanship is better than either the old or newer HJ. If I were buying a new hat I’d go with Penman over HJ without hesitation.

(As full disclosure I have read good things about S&J and AdVintage but don’t own either and have never seen one in person.)
Thanks, I appreciate that you have 1st hand experience with so many varieties.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I've also owned a bunch of these: ABL legacy from Penman, HJ reboot in rabbit by Jack, a couple original ABs, and a couple garrison hats. Of them, Penman tops out my list. HJ was a good hat, but the crown was too tall no matter how I bashed it.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Wow! I have had many a 'fedora' from back and then to now, but nothing, nothing; beats a Penman! My two cents, for what it's worth! Call, talk to John and tell him exactly the look, the feel and type of fedora you want -- and low and behold, he will provide said! That simple... that said :tup: :tup: ! W>
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

in my opinion HJ made nowadays by Michelle are awesome, and most importantly she is a great person.
I’m a custom hatter too at Tognarelli vintage fedoras (on Facebook) and hope you ll take a look at my page; but if I have to speak about the current HJ I have to spend only good words
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

IMHO, the HJ is the best looking hat. But I'm judging only from pics and can't speak to build quality.

I would opt for FEPSA felt over Winchester any day of the week.
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

I was lucky enough to win a HJ at the Adventurers Summit. On the advice of Vic Armstrong I went with a Last Crusade model. It really is a great hat, and I believe that it is blocked on the same block they used for the ones used in the Last Crusade.

For my Raiders Indy I have a Penman Everyman. So as far as I am concerned, I really have the best of both worlds.
:D
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

My money's with Hufvud and Advintage, but nothing wrong with a Penman, he's still the one to base the modern standard on, if you can afford it, go for it. To answer the original question, my opinion is that Herbert Johnson would be good for a generic, amorphous Indiana Jones look, just wouldn't rely on them for something like a Streets of Cairo hat, unless you are a master hatter yourself and can replicate the bash. Don't think Streets of Cairo would compute for Herbert Johnson, although I could be wrong. (Ok, reading of the posts it looks like others have expressed similar thoughts.)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Mulceber wrote:I've also owned a bunch of these: ABL legacy from Penman, HJ reboot in rabbit by Jack, a couple original ABs, and a couple garrison hats. Of them, Penman tops out my list. HJ was a good hat, but the crown was too tall no matter how I bashed it.
Could you possibly post a picture with your Penman, ABL, and HJ together?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

IJJTM wrote:
Mulceber wrote:I've also owned a bunch of these: ABL legacy from Penman, HJ reboot in rabbit by Jack, a couple original ABs, and a couple garrison hats. Of them, Penman tops out my list. HJ was a good hat, but the crown was too tall no matter how I bashed it.
I actually can't because my Penman and ABL are one and the same, and I sold the Herbert Johnson late last year. Here are a couple separate photos of the ABL and HJ though:

Herbert Johnson:

Penman ABL:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Mulceber wrote:
IJJTM wrote:
I actually can't because my Penman and ABL are one and the same, and I sold the Herbert Johnson late last year. Here are a couple separate photos of the ABL and HJ though:

Herbert Johnson:

Penman ABL:
Thank you for that, and are there any other reasons you prefer the ABL over the HJ, besides crown height?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It also nails the Raiders bash far better than the HJ, imho, and the construction is more solid. The materials are of about equal quality.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Mulceber wrote:It also nails the Raiders bash far better than the HJ, imho, and the construction is more solid. The materials are of about equal quality.
Thanks for the help.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Not sure what you mean by "Holy Grail," as the HJ, as well as all the others mentioned above, are readily available. If you refer to who has or who lost the original Raiders block, with Jack's death that question probably is now muddied beyond any hope of eventual clarification. All the above vendors have received excellent reviews, and I'm sure they've all had their share of dissatisfied customers as well. It comes down to personal taste and budget. Just do your homework before pulling the trigger. ;)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

eazybox wrote:Not sure what you mean by "Holy Grail," as the HJ, as well as all the others mentioned above, are readily available. If you refer to who has or who lost the original Raiders block, with Jack's death that question probably is now muddied beyond any hope of eventual clarification. All the above vendors have received excellent reviews, and I'm sure they've all had their share of dissatisfied customers as well. It comes down to personal taste and budget. Just do your homework before pulling the trigger. ;)
Well said. :TOH:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Mulceber wrote:
eazybox wrote:Not sure what you mean by "Holy Grail," as the HJ, as well as all the others mentioned above, are readily available. If you refer to who has or who lost the original Raiders block, with Jack's death that question probably is now muddied beyond any hope of eventual clarification. All the above vendors have received excellent reviews, and I'm sure they've all had their share of dissatisfied customers as well. It comes down to personal taste and budget. Just do your homework before pulling the trigger. ;)
Well said. :TOH:
Thanks, Mulceber.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Interestingly, Christy's still makes the Adventurer. An 80/20 blend is the right balance for me.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Texan Scott wrote:Interestingly, Christy's still makes the Adventurer. An 80/20 blend is the right balance for me.
Christy's is 80/20?

I'm not sure how I never knew that.... :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

no, I was only making reference to the fact that Christy's still made the Adventurer, and 'might' be a consideration for a beater, along with the Fed, etc. Christy used to be reasonably priced, but these new offerings are approaching $200, these days. They used to sell the light sable, sable and cork color, which had reddish undertones. But that was then:

https://www.christys-hats.com/adventure ... fedora-hat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 80/20, Adv. Henry and subsequent offerings from other vendors, such as the Everyman, Advintage makes one, etc., after experimenting some, I found that for my needs, the 80/20 was the right balance for me, that is.

Adv. offered a charcoal gray travel type hat that was a fine offering for the then $250. It was only for a few years, though.
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

I am enjoying this thread. I personally feel that anytime an Indy fan receives excellent customer service and a fedora that meets or exceeds his/her expectations, and can wear it confidently and continuously - he/she has found his/her Holy Grail.

My experience with all of the above named vendors has provided me with such a discovery ONCE I managed to identify my true hat size with allowances made for hat-band shrinkage, from which all hats suffer.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Texan Scott wrote:no, I was only making reference to the fact that Christy's still made the Adventurer, and 'might' be a consideration for a beater, along with the Fed, etc. Christy used to be reasonably priced, but these new offerings are approaching $200, these days. They used to sell the light sable, sable and cork color, which had reddish undertones. But that was then:

https://www.christys-hats.com/adventure ... fedora-hat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 80/20, Adv. Henry and subsequent offerings from other vendors, such as the Everyman, Advintage makes one, etc., after experimenting some, I found that for my needs, the 80/20 was the right balance for me, that is.

Adv. offered a charcoal gray travel type hat that was a fine offering for the then $250. It was only for a few years, though.
Ah okay, sorry, I was confused there for a moment because, as you said, I was always under the impression that Christy's was a beater. I thought for a second that they had either upped the ante or for years I had misread.

Thanks. :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

As far as we know, did the Raiders or TOD Fedoras have a liner, because I haven’t seen anything that indicates as such and the prop store fedora lacked one.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Mulceber wrote:
IJJTM wrote:

Herbert Johnson:

Penman ABL:
Anyone ever tell you you're a dead ringer for Tarantino? ;)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

They have, actually! I had a friend in college who nicknamed me Tarantino.
IndianaSkywalker
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by IndianaSkywalker »

I’ve been out of the IndyGear game for awhile but I’ve gotten back into it again recently. I was even apart of the forum here way back when, but had to create a new account because I have no idea what my password was :lol: I wanted a new Indy hat, but I wasn’t quite ready to pay the price of a full custom. After doing my research here on COW, I followed so many members’ recommendations and went with a Penman Everyman. Great hat for the money, no question. I’ve enjoyed it and I received a heck of a lot of attention when I wore it to Disney World last fall.

Having always wanted an HJ because of the connection to the original films, I reached out to them to ask a few questions about what style would fit me best (between ROTLA and LC) and the differences between their rabbit and beaver options. I wasn’t necessarily looking to order, having just purchased my Everyman, but the customer service and input that I received from Michelle was beyond words. I purchased a Raiders Poet in rabbit and then ended up purchasing a Clipper Poet after that. She was even kind enough to send me photos of my hats in the different stages of the creation process. Made the wait, which wasn’t even that long, so much shorter! The color and texture of the felt is fantastic and has the perfect amount of floppy-ness. For the quality of the product and the stellar customer service that I received, for me, it was worth the price. The HJ was my holy grail and thanks to Michelle and the team at Herbert Johnson, I chose wisely. Now I need a new jacket...
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Fantastic review, thank you sharing! I'm on the fence of ordering one to serve as a backup hat should anything ever happen to my trusty old AB, and this really swayed my vote.

Question though- how well do the new beaver HJs hold up to shrinkage when compared to ABs? I know my 08 AB is built like a tank, and I've worn it for a decade now in rain and snow without any appreciable taper or shrinkage. All this with no preventative measures (ie scotchgard) applied, though granted I use it mainly as long-walks-in-the-city headwear, and save the torrential downpours for my western hats. This has spoiled me forever on hats, and anything I replace my old ABs would need to meet that bar.

Does anyone with a beaver HJ know how they compare?
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Fantastic review, thank you sharing! I'm on the fence of ordering one to serve as a backup hat should anything ever happen to my trusty old AB, and this really swayed my vote.

Question though- how well do the new beaver HJs hold up to shrinkage when compared to ABs? I know my 08 AB is built like a tank, and I've worn it for a decade now in rain and snow without any appreciable taper or shrinkage. All this with no preventative measures (ie scotchgard) applied, though granted I use it mainly as long-walks-in-the-city headwear, and save the torrential downpours for my western hats. This has spoiled me forever on hats, and anything I replace my old ABs would need to meet that bar.

Does anyone with a beaver HJ know how they compare?
My pleasure! Unfortunately, I cannot be of much help on how well the beaver Poets fair as both of mine are rabbit. I will say that I have worn mine in the rain (moderate, not downpour) and, with normal air drying, I have not had any shrinkage.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

I'd buy the HJ if low on funds and really really want the logo/sense of authenticity from the "makers of the original". But if I had money, I'd go with Penman/Adventurebilt.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Thank you Indiana_Nate! That does put my mind to ease then, and definitely firmly puts me in the HJ camp! They did have plenty of teething issues early on with their rabbits shrinking severely, but looks like they've really upped their methods since their "reboot." If you don't mind me asking though, how long have you had your HJ for though, and is it a daily wear piece (season permitting)?

And thank you zaynecarrick for your thoughts as well. I'm not sure I'd agree though, because while HJ used to be the more economical choice, I think that even with the exchange rate being what it is, Penman/AB hats are pretty comparable to the current HJ offerings. Granted, I've been out of the loop lately though, so I might be way off on this one...?

With that said, I do have a stockpile of AB fedoras that I bought from Steve over the years, which is why I never had a desire to go with HJ given the quality that they had then. But now, especially with Steve and Marc out of the game, I'm curious to see how the newly reinvented HJ fares in comparison. But yeah, Nate might just have me convinced. ;)
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Thank you Indiana_Nate! That does put my mind to ease then, and definitely firmly puts me in the HJ camp! They did have plenty of teething issues early on with their rabbits shrinking severely, but looks like they've really upped their methods since their "reboot." If you don't mind me asking though, how long have you had your HJ for though, and is it a daily wear piece (season permitting)?

And thank you zaynecarrick for your thoughts as well. I'm not sure I'd agree though, because while HJ used to be the more economical choice, I think that even with the exchange rate being what it is, Penman/AB hats are pretty comparable to the current HJ offerings. Granted, I've been out of the loop lately though, so I might be way off on this one...?

With that said, I do have a stockpile of AB fedoras that I bought from Steve over the years, which is why I never had a desire to go with HJ given the quality that they had then. But now, especially with Steve and Marc out of the game, I'm curious to see how the newly reinvented HJ fares in comparison. But yeah, Nate might just have me convinced. ;)
My Penman Everyman feels a bit thicker and heavier than my HJ's, but the crown on my Everyman has started to taper. At some point I would like to pick up a true Penman or AB Legacy to add to my collection, but I really do love the fit and block of the HJ's. I received my first in late November last year, so roughly 4 months. I have worn it literally every day since, regardless of the weather. It has never been soaked, but it is no stranger to water, either. I just make sure to shake off the excess water and let it air dry. My Clipper Poet came at the end of January, but I tend to only wear that on more formal occasions. If the quality of the rabbit is any indication, the beaver should be phenomenal. Reach out to Michelle with any questions (workshop@herbert-johnson.co.uk). I really cannot praise her enough!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That Portuguese felt is amazing, isn't it?

Regards! Michaelson
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

I recently received a Last Crusade style beaver felt Poet from Michelle. It is wonderful and durable. Moreover, the turn over time from placing the order to receiving the finished product (aka work of art) was impressively fast.

My HJ has certainly become my Holy Grail and I wear it everyday as I venture out into this new world.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

AttyOzzy wrote:I recently received a Last Crusade style beaver felt Poet from Michelle. It is wonderful and durable. Moreover, the turn over time from placing the order to receiving the finished product (aka work of art) was impressively fast.

My HJ has certainly become my Holy Grail and I wear it everyday as I venture out into this new world.
I couldn't agree more AttyOzzy. Funny that you mention this, because an LC Poet in beaver is on the short list for my next hat. Ideally, I would love to take a "pilgrimage" to London and pick it up personally to truly make it my "holy grail" :lol: . Hopefully I will have that opportunity. Until then, my "Ark of the Covenant" Raiders Poet will remain firmly planted atop my head.
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

My new beaver Raiders “Raven bar” Herbert Johnson arrived today. Took it for a walk tonight and fits wonderfully!

You all probably know this about H J, but for those who don’t, the ordering process was easy, precise, and Michelle was very responsive to my inquiries and style requests. The speed with which my hat was made and delivered was very expeditious.

The hat itself is a very nice marriage of durability and lightness on one’s head. I am eager for the world to open up because this hat and I have places to see!

Thank you once again Michelle! First rate.

https://imgur.com/gallery/azHj6Ki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NoBadDates
Vendor

Post by NoBadDates »

Thanks for the lovely review and shout out AttyOzzy! I so love this photo of you too! :D

My pleasure as always to create for you my friend.

If anyone wants to reach me to discuss an order or even just chat all things Indy then you can reach me on the work email here:
workshop@herbert-johnson.co.uk

Edit: Just seen your lovely comments Indiana_Nate so thank you also for your review and support! :TOH: :TOH: :TOH:
Also a big thank you to IndianaSkywalker! It was an absolute pleasure my friend. Thank you for your lovely words and for sharing your experience. :TOH: :TOH: :TOH:

Wishing you all safe home adventuring in this lockdown. Be well beautiful people!

Michelle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Thank YOU as well, Michelle, for staying active here.

It's ALWAYS good to know our vendors keep tabs on us and can correct/add to information as it occurs! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

AttyOzzy wrote:My new beaver Raiders “Raven bar” Herbert Johnson arrived today. Took it for a walk tonight and fits wonderfully!

You all probably know this about H J, but for those who don’t, the ordering process was easy, precise, and Michelle was very responsive to my inquiries and style requests. The speed with which my hat was made and delivered was very expeditious.

The hat itself is a very nice marriage of durability and lightness on one’s head. I am eager for the world to open up because this hat and I have places to see!

https://imgur.com/gallery/azHj6Ki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LOVE the hat Ozzy! The beaver felt looks fantastic! Michelle hit another home run on that one. I had to chuckle at the comment on your photo: "Nice hat and jacket but I don't think they really go together." :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the jacket looks great, it is a Wested?

And I have to second everything you said about Michelle. It is always such a pleasure to work with her and the quality is top notch. Anyone who ever wanted or considered purchasing a Herbert Johnson should reach out to her. You will not be disappointed!

Fortune and Glory!
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

Indiana_Nate wrote:
AttyOzzy wrote:My new beaver Raiders “Raven bar” Herbert Johnson arrived today. Took it for a walk tonight and fits wonderfully!

LOVE the hat Ozzy! The beaver felt looks fantastic! Michelle hit another home run on that one. I had to chuckle at the comment on your photo: "Nice hat and jacket but I don't think they really go together." :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the jacket looks great, it is a Wested?

And I have to second everything you said about Michelle. It is always such a pleasure to work with her and the quality is top notch. Anyone who ever wanted or considered purchasing a Herbert Johnson should reach out to her. You will not be disappointed!

Fortune and Glory!

Lol! Yes Indiana Nate, that comment made me laugh too! At first I thought one of our learned hobbyists was rightfully calling me out for wearing a Last Crusade Jacket (beautifully made by Steele & Jones with their more substantial horsehide) with a Raiders hat!

Then I realized I had forgotten to turn off comments and it was just some Igur pedestrians who think I apparently should either be wearing cloth frock coats with the hat or leather sombreros with the jacket! Makes me wonder if the younger folks have forgotten about Dr. Jones :-k . I get more cowboy references than I ever do IJ. Which is fine too, I suppose.

Either way made me chuckle, and is not intended to take away from the purpose of this post, which is to acknowledge the great work done on and joy received from my HJ Raiders! Happy Saturday all!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

You know, if the younger folk have forgotten about Indy, all the better for us then! Freedom from the shackles of conformity for the more self aware among us.. No longer shall we hear the sound of the Raiders March being hummed Raiders as we walk down the street... or maybe that's just my wife... ;)

But seriously, I just picked up my first HJ after all these rave reviews, and the declining GBP. And my god, it is fantastic. Certainly gives AB a run for their money. You know, I never put much faith in HJ before, especially since I care little for legacy provenance if a company doesn't still live up to its former standards. I'd rather have a Dorfman if it were well made (it's not) than a HJ if it were mass produced badly.

So it was with a lot of hesitation that I placed my order for a poet. When asked what look I wanted recreated, I shrugged and requested the idol grab scene, more curious to see what the overall quality would be.

When I received the hat, my first observation was that the felt is not what I expected. I received a rabbit Raiders, and it has kind of a rough texture. I'd say it's almost scratchy, almost like a wool sweater. Not that you'd be able to see anything weird visually about it, nor feel it when it's on your head, but in his it just feels... scratchy.

I'd equate this to how a soft tee shirt feels after being in a dryer for a bit too long. This is a first for me, I have several rabbit fedora, and none of them feel like this. Not a knock, just an observation. It's just different from what I'm used to.

Speaking of soft, this hat is like butter in conforming to your head. The last few years, I've been wearing western beaver hats more often than dress fedora, and so maybe I'm not the best judge here, but wow, is it soft. It makes my western hats feel like hard hats in comparison, and it's definitely floppy, so get one NOW!!! if you're into that. Very Raiders, and I almost forgot I had it on after a while. Even my Delk ABs are more rigid than this, which puzzles me as to how the HJ hold its beautiful shape effortlessly.

Honestly, besides the one observation about the rough felt, I have nothing but positive things to say about this hat. And even then, the texture observation is just an observation.

But my absolute favorite thing about this? Twofold.

First, customer service was impeccable. Yes, everyone says that, but it's absolutely true. I was kept updated every step of the way, and what a short journey it was!

Second, it captures the nuance of the idol grab fedora (my requested look) so well, that when I received it, I thought the brim was messed up in shipping. I've had plenty of hats suffer that fate, so I was unsurprised, just a little dejected. But on a whim, I checked the photos Michelle had sent me of the completed hat. I paused, surprised to see the same brim deformities. This hat was made with a misshapen brim? Then it struck me. I Googled images of the the Idol Grab fedora. Sure enough, every odd crease on Ford's head was replicated in front of me, courtesy of Michelle to shocking perfection. Please prepare the torches, for she, sir, is a witch!!! ;) I've never seen this insane level of detail to attention before, so this blew my mind.

If you are on the fence, I urge you to take my advice and order one. I'm fighting hard not to order another one just yet, so if they get too busy making hats, maybe I'll use that as my excuse for holding off for now! ;) That's how good HJ is.

I never thought I'd say this, considering what a bad reputation they had when I joined this community, but wow. Just... wow. To be perfectly honest, a HJ from this new chapter of the company should be everyone's grail.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:You know, if the younger folk have forgotten about Indy, all the better for us then! Freedom from the shackles of conformity for the more self aware among us.. No longer shall we hear the sound of the Raiders March being hummed Raiders as we walk down the street... or maybe that's just my wife... ;)

But seriously, I just picked up my first HJ after all these rave reviews, and the declining GBP. And my god, it is fantastic. Certainly gives AB a run for their money. You know, I never put much faith in HJ before, especially since I care little for legacy provenance if a company doesn't still live up to its former standards. I'd rather have a Dorfman if it were well made (it's not) than a HJ if it were mass produced badly.

So it was with a lot of hesitation that I placed my order for a poet. When asked what look I wanted recreated, I shrugged and requested the idol grab scene, more curious to see what the overall quality would be.

When I received the hat, my first observation was that the felt is not what I expected. I received a rabbit Raiders, and it has kind of a rough texture. I'd say it's almost scratchy, almost like a wool sweater. Not that you'd be able to see anything weird visually about it, nor feel it when it's on your head, but in his it just feels... scratchy.

I'd equate this to how a soft tee shirt feels after being in a dryer for a bit too long. This is a first for me, I have several rabbit fedora, and none of them feel like this. Not a knock, just an observation. It's just different from what I'm used to.

Speaking of soft, this hat is like butter in conforming to your head. The last few years, I've been wearing western beaver hats more often than dress fedora, and so maybe I'm not the best judge here, but wow, is it soft. It makes my western hats feel like hard hats in comparison, and it's definitely floppy, so get one NOW!!! if you're into that. Very Raiders, and I almost forgot I had it on after a while. Even my Delk ABs are more rigid than this, which puzzles me as to how the HJ hold its beautiful shape effortlessly.

Honestly, besides the one observation about the rough felt, I have nothing but positive things to say about this hat. And even then, the texture observation is just an observation.

First, customer service was impeccable. Yes, everyone says that, but it's absolutely true. I was kept updated every step of the way, and what a short journey it was!

Second, it captures the nuance of the idol grab fedora (my requested look) so well, that when I received it, I thought the brim was messed up in shipping. I've had plenty of hats suffer that fate, so I was unsurprised, just a little dejected. But on a whim, I checked the photos Michelle had sent me of the completed hat. I paused, surprised to see the same brim deformities. This hat was made with a misshapen brim? Then it struck me. I Googled images of the the Idol Grab fedora. Sure enough, every odd crease on Ford's head was replicated in front of me, courtesy of Michelle to shocking perfection. Please prepare the torches, for she, sir, is a witch!!! ;) I've never seen this insane level of detail to attention before, so this blew my mind.

If you are on the fence, I urge you to take my advice and order one. I'm fighting hard not to order another one just yet, so if they get too busy making hats, maybe I'll use that as my excuse for holding off for now! ;) That's how good HJ is.

I never thought I'd say this, considering what a bad reputation they had when I joined this community, but wow. Just... wow. To be perfectly honest, a HJ from this new chapter of the company should be everyone's grail.
AMEN to that!!! Castor, I've been fighting the urge to order my 3rd and your review may have been the last bit of convincing that I was trying to avoid. ;) Now the question is do I go for the Raiders w/ the turn in beaver or the Last Crusade in rabbit? :-k
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:You know, if the younger folk have forgotten about Indy, all the better for us then! Freedom from the shackles of conformity for the more self aware among us.. No longer shall we hear the sound of the Raiders March being hummed Raiders as we walk down the street... or maybe that's just my wife... ;)

Could you share a picture of your idol grab fedora?
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

^^THIS ^^

After, that stellar review we need pics!!