The Gambler OR pimping my (grey) Henry

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Marc
Vendor

The Gambler OR pimping my (grey) Henry

Post by Marc »

Hi guys,

after I had managed to finish what was planned for the week yesterday and Stefan not being here until tomorrow, I figured "heck, I might work a little on the dark grey Henry prototype - just for the fun of it". What was meant to be a little fun project, turned out to **** up round about 10 hours!!!

First of all I took the hat completely apart. Being a size 58 and me at 57.5cm I placeted to re-size it and while I was at it, I could as well take one of the brown sweatbands that we use on the brown Henrys. Just to add a little contrast. So, I cut the sweatband to 57.5cm, put it together, creased the hat, put in the sweatband and then the pain started with that bow. I knew I placeted something different, I just didn't know what exactly. So, I pulled out my ribbons incl. a few vintage ribbons that Steve gave to me and chose a vintage 1 1/2" ribbon, that I thought would look cool on the hat. Fast forward SEVERAL hours and four bows later, I finally had something that suits the hat.

I really like how this Henry turned out at the end and even though it cost me an entire day, I'm sure this hat will see a lot of wear.

Here's two quick pictures for you to see:

The second one is completely "over flashed" but at least you can see the bow that caused me so much pain LOL.

Regards,

Marc
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The Gambler OR pimping my (grey) Henry

Post by Hollowpond »

I love that hat! Your little signature crown crease is awesome. I'd like that hat, a double old fashioned glass with two pieces of ice filled with that Gentleman John Daniels*, and one of those cigars right now.

Travis
*When you've known him as long as I have...its John.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

*When you've known him as long as I have...its John.
LOVE the movie ;)

Thanks Travis!

The cigars are a Dom. Rep. and a Cuban right out of my humidor (no, I don't EVER smoke in the hat shop or even close by - neither does Steve).

Regards,

Marc
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Most people never recognize that quote Marc. What do you call that crown crease? You are the only one I have ever seen use a crease that looks like this. I think its awesome.

Travis
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Great job as always. You know I'm getting sick and tired of your fantastic work. Ok, all kidding aside. This one of the reasons I like your work Marc, you will always work a hat no matter the time spent until it's just perfect. My hats off to you. Now send those bad things called cigars over to me so I can keep them for you.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

What do you call that crown crease? You are the only one I have ever seen use a crease that looks like this. I think its awesome.
Thanks again Travis. I invented that crease for my father's hat (http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/gallery1.php), so if this crease has a name, it must be Eckart ;)

Thanks John. I'll do as commanded ;)

Regards,

Marc
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

That's a great bash and that ribbon looks awesome.
Wulfgang
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wulfgang »

I am really starting to like the gray the more I see it. Great job!
Wulfie
who also really enjoys Islay malts, including Bowmore..(though right now I am tasting through Spey Side malts!)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I've tried to like Scotch, but it just tastes like someone burnt good whiskey! :-0 sorry! back on topic now. AWESOME hat. :clap:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

First off, great looking hat Marc. I likes.
I've tried to like Scotch, but it just tastes like someone burnt good whiskey! sorry! back on topic now. AWESOME hat.
Oh no!! :lol: I have always hated the way American whisky tasted. I hate the stuff. But, many years ago, I relented and tried Scotch, a blend, Chiva Regal. It was the only whiskey that I loved how it tasted. I could not believe it was whiskey!

Back when I was a kid, my grandparents had an old oak barrel that caught rainwater, that my aunts had used to wash their hair with, way back in the old days. They would draw some out, and use it. I recall being thirsty and grabbing a dipper and got myself a drink of this rain barrel water. I tasted the wood in the water, and it was a pleasant taste to me.

After I grew up, and found that I detested the taste of American whiskey, and tried Scotch whiskey, the first thing I noticed was it tasted like that old barrel of rain water, except with a kick. I immediately became a Scotch drinker!

These days, I only drink single malt Scotch. And the older, the better. Marc sent me some old Scotch a few years ago, which I really enjoyed. But, these days, I do it Epicurean style. I drink seldom, but when I do, it is very expensive single malt, and I relish each sip. Just pour it over a bed of ice and go at it!! It just don't get any better! Fedora
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

First: Marc, now that's an interesting and nice hat! The bash looks a bit uncommon (it's the "Eckart" one you created, right?), but I'm convinced now to need another - grey - hat. ;)
Fedora wrote:I have always hated the way American whisky tasted. I hate the stuff. But, many years ago, I relented and tried Scotch, a blend, Chiva Regal. It was the only whiskey that I loved how it tasted. I could not believe it was whiskey!
Hear what this Gentleman has to say! :notworthy: I'm definitely in your camp with this opinion. ;)
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

As usual... An amazing lookin hat. Friend, I hope to be as good as you someday.
Regards
-Alfonso