New Alden/Orvis Charles Lindbergh Aviator Boot

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Hammer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

New Alden/Orvis Charles Lindbergh Aviator Boot

Post by Hammer »

Like Alden?

Want a brown work boot?

Orvis brings us the Alden Lindy Boot! No moc-toe stitching, but a nice change of pace from the standard Indy boot.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoic ... 719&bhcp=1
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

what a great looking boot......nice find!

it does not state if it has the true-balance last though. i wish they put the moc toe stitching on it :cry:
Gunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gunk »

that is a classic looking boot, too bad im already set on a pair of indys
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Lucky Lindy's Boots

Post by YARVTON »

They do look terrific. And much better than the 405, though I'm obviously not an Indy-Fundamentalist.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

it looks to me that these are the 405 design, minus the moc toe and all the orthopedic metal (i'm guessing).....and of course, the BETTER colour......do you hear me ALDEN president......for the love of god, change your leather on the 405's!!!! i'm tired of wearing red boots with brown gear.....ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

sorry...needed to get that off my chest.....i'll take my meds now.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Loving that boot

Post by IndianaGeo »

I´m loving that Lindbergh boot. If someone out there has a pair, would love to see a review on them. I can´t seem to find any reviews on the web. Are these brand new in the market?
Hammer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hammer »

I'm pretty sure these are brand new. I have a friend at Orvis who knew the instant he saw me in my 405s that I was a gear-head. He forwarded the link to me earlier this week.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Wow - I really like those boots....
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

Nice looking pair of boots.....Great find, thanks for the post!!!
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Lindy Boots

Post by IndianaGeo »

What I like about these boots is they´re no nonsense and they look rugged. They look like something a real Indy would wear. They appear quite authentic and Made in the U.S.A by Alden is a big plus in my book. I´m seriously thinking of getting a pair. I´m also debating on the RedWing Gentleman Traveler shoes which are quite nice as well.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Nice boot.....great color. But for $375, I rather buy the real thing. (If you want a great looking Alden alternative that's super cheap, Rockport Farnums are still the ones to beat in my book).
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Lindy Alden

Post by YARVTON »

Plusses: No Moc-Toe Stitching -- a problem for some. Great color, unless you happen to be a clown and need that Pumpkin 405. Dressier so can be worn with tweeds, cords, and flannels for Classic Casual style.

Cons: Price/Price/Price -- though very likely worth every penny.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

on the fence

Post by IndianaGeo »

I´m so on the fence now.. Gentleman Travelers by Red Wing or the Lindbergh´s by Orvis. The Orvis look a bit less dressy and seem a bit "generic" to me now, although they are classic. The GT´s seems a bit more "shiny" if you will. I have this flaw sometimes that I think that because something is more expensive, it must be better. Thus, of course, the Orvis boot would "win." Wish there was a review out there somewhere on those boots. I just can´t buy a pair of cheapies made in Asia or somewhere, however decent they might be.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Those are indeed nice. I hope they stay for a while. Orvis has a tendency to have "here today, gone tomorrow" clothes.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Orvis Lindy boots

Post by YARVTON »

These are NOT CHEAPO-CHINA-MADE! Made in USA by ALDEN. Just want everyone to be clear on this point.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Where made

Post by IndianaGeo »

Yarvton,
Looking back to my post, I certainly was not very clear. I didn´t mean to imply the Alden, or the Red Wings for that matter, were made anywhere but the USA. I was referring to the Rockport Farnums, which I suspect are imported from somewhere. I believe the Rockports are a little over $100 if I´m not mistaken so I´d be surprised quite frankly to find a high quality shoe made in the USA for that price. Please correct me if I´m wrong. I´m not sure they´re made in China per se but it´s a good guess seeing that around 99% of shoes in the US are made there.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I got my Rockports for $70. For that price, I could care less where they were made.....they're comfortable, light-weight, rugged, waterproof, and look the part.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Rockports for $70

Post by YARVTON »

That's a good price for any decent boot. Of course, they problem cost less than 70 cents to manufacture. Can't remember the scandalous markup Nike has, but if I do exaggerate, I don't by very much. As to country of origin, there's been a lot of wailing and moaning lately about Wested's off-the-rack jacket.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Origins

Post by IndianaGeo »

Yes, some people don´t care where their things are made, but I do. I don´t believe in paying foreign workers in a country that has had appalling human rights record. Not to mention that my country (the US) has economic trouble at present. So I choose to vote with my dollar (or pound since I now live in London, England). I can´t always buy from where I want, but I do my best.

YARV, yes, a big deal was made of Wested´s OTRs on this board and rightly so since they advertise their jackets to be Made in the U.K., up until that was changed on the website. I credit Peter for doing the right thing and making that change so that the consumer is aware of what he/she is getting.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

Look like WW2 US Roughout boots........
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I can't always buy from where I want, but I do my best.

Post by YARVTON »

A very sensible policy, particularly since I agree with it wholeheartedly. For dress shoes I buy Allen Edmonds -- pricey, but one can find some discounts and sales. Dress clothes I buy at J. Press -- everything made in USA or Canada. And my casual trousers are by Bill's Khakis. I neither want nor need 50 pairs of anything, so I'm not shopping by price -- though obviously Quality on Sale is always enticing.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Buying in US

Post by IndianaGeo »

Hi Yarv,
Glad you agree.. and yes, I love the Allen Edmond´s line of shoes. Great quality. I think they´re made in Wisconsin. Thanks for the tip on Bill´s Khaki´s.. never heard of them, but I´m going to check ´em out. Speaking of "quality on sale", I once bought a pair of Ferragamo (Italian) shoes for $80 which listed at $400 at Nordstrom Rack (the overstock store of Nordstrom). Deal of the century for me.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Bills Khakis

Post by YARVTON »

billskhakis.com
You can tell that the guy was in advertising when he opens with this: "As fascinated as we are with the future, our hearts lie in the past". Regards.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Marv wrote:Look like WW2 US Roughout boots........
At the sight of these shoes I've just about fainted. :lol:

They look AMAZING.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Me too

Post by IndianaGeo »

Mola Ram wrote:
Marv wrote:Look like WW2 US Roughout boots........
At the sight of these shoes I've just about fainted. :lol:

They look AMAZING.
I know what you mean. I´m seriously considering a pair. But oh the price is out of this world. I ponder this decision every day. Can someone talk me into or out of this please?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

geo.....what if you die tomorrow? then you'll be up at st. peter's gates saying.....MAN! I KNEW I SHOULD OF ORDERED THOSE BOOTS!!!

or howz about: if you don't order soon, they'll run out of your size and you'll never see them again for at least 6 months if at all.

or, it's either these or wait 6 months and pay twice this much for the AB aldens.

or, you can wait until the end of the year for alden of carmel to get their AF64's back in with the ugly soles and non-eyelet lace holes.

in all seriousness, i feel for you so let me share this with you. earlier this summer EVIL KITTLEMIER :wink: shared with me a pic of the snuff suede indy's that leather soul hawaii offered. i pondered long and hard on it and then when i was ready to place my order, they ran out of my size. i was told that they will probably never offer these boots again. i was crushed. as a concelation, i bought the tan suede 405's....to ease the pain :lol: i'm an advocate for: if you really want them, buy them, cuz you only live once :D

good enough arguement for ya?
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Nice work

Post by IndianaGeo »

Indiana G,
Ha! Nicely done! ALL of your arguments hold a LOT of water. You´re convincing me, my friend. Instead of looking for the reasons NOT to get them, now I´m rationalising why I SHOULD get them. I live in London, England now (originally from Chicago) so I´m making pounds which is a good thing with the exchange rate and all. A pair of shoes not 1/2 as good as the Orvis Lindy´s will cost just as much as those. So now I´m getting the itchy index finger... wanting to hit that "buy" button. Thanks for your help!
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Kicking Self

Post by IndianaGeo »

Okay, Guess what? They´re out of my size now!!! ARGH!!!! Lesson Learned.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Kicking Self

Post by Indiana G »

IndianaGeo wrote:Okay, Guess what? They´re out of my size now!!! ARGH!!!! Lesson Learned.
i'm sorry to hear that geo....and believe me, i know exactly how you feel. i had confirmed my size was at the hawaii shop and i debated getting them for over a week. when i was ready, they were gone and i was told by the owner that i may never see those again. :cry:

i hope you find your boots someday my friend. it kinda ***** we have to learn our lessons like this........but the silver lining is, now you've got $375 to blow on whatever you want :wink:
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Origins

Post by Serial Hero »

IndianaGeo wrote:Yes, some people don´t care where their things are made, but I do. I don´t believe in paying foreign workers in a country that has had appalling human rights record. Not to mention that my country (the US) has economic trouble at present. So I choose to vote with my dollar (or pound since I now live in London, England). I can´t always buy from where I want, but I do my best.

YARV, yes, a big deal was made of Wested´s OTRs on this board and rightly so since they advertise their jackets to be Made in the U.K., up until that was changed on the website. I credit Peter for doing the right thing and making that change so that the consumer is aware of what he/she is getting.
Just because it says "Made in the USA" doesn't mean it is.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_78728651
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Here you go. WWII roughout shoes- $110.00

http://www.atthefront.com/

For that price you can buy three pair :wink:
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Kicking Self

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

IndianaGeo wrote:Okay, Guess what? They´re out of my size now!!! ARGH!!!! Lesson Learned.
10.5? :-) I got a pair in this size yesterday and today it says "not available" ...
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Got one?

Post by IndianaGeo »

FedoraGuy,
Are you pulling my leg?? :shock: or did you really get the last pair of 10.5s? If so, you´re one lucky guy.

Serial Hero, I understand what you´re saying about Made in the U.S.A. Sometimes things aren´t what they seem. I wouldn´t be surprised if greedy corporations are setting up in the Mariana Islands to exploit a loop hole. That´s globalisation for ya.
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Got one?

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

IndianaGeo wrote:FedoraGuy,
Are you pulling my leg?? :shock: or did you really get the last pair of 10.5s? If so, you´re one lucky guy.

Serial Hero, I understand what you´re saying about Made in the U.S.A. Sometimes things aren´t what they seem. I wouldn´t be surprised if greedy corporations are setting up in the Mariana Islands to exploit a loop hole. That´s globalisation for ya.
IG, I ordered mine somewhen last week on www.orvis.com, they arrived Friday (! to Europe!) but I was not home and had to arrange a 2nd delivery so I got them just yesterday. Well today I checked the Orvis page again and they say the 10.5 are sold out... Sorry mate :-(

BTW I personally think they are as american made as the standard 405s since everything is the same but the upper leather. Sole and heel construction is exactly the same than the 405s, packing and shoe bags are exactly the same than the AF64 or the black cordovan shell Indy boot. There is even the "Alden Foot Balance" print on them.

BTW2, I think they are made of dark brown nubuck leather (you know the one which leaves marks if you touch it).
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Review

Post by IndianaGeo »

Hi Fedora,
Thanks for the condolences, but I have to say that I´m glad that one of those last pairs is in the hands of someone who appreciates and deserves them.

Was wondering if you can give a more in depth opinion of them? Are they what you expected? Are they casual or dressy or could they be both at any given time? Is the leather to your liking, is it thick and/or durable?

I don´t want to hijack your day, but would love to hear a bit more about them as there´s not much I´ve seen on the web so far. Cheers from London.
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Review

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

IndianaGeo wrote:Was wondering if you can give a more in depth opinion of them? Are they what you expected? Are they casual or dressy or could they be both at any given time? Is the leather to your liking, is it thick and/or durable?
IG, I'll see what I can do :-) First, they are exactly what I expected, a different type of 405s with a different type of leather and no moc toe. The picture in post #1 is pretty much how they really do look after unpacking them (would have made my own pics but I just shut down my flickr account). As they are made of soft nubuck leather (I think) I'd go more towards "dressy" than "casual" but I would not go as far to call them "dress shoes". More dressy than 405s for sure ;-) For the durability I don't know since they are just new but I could imagine that the glossy brick-red 405 leather is more durable. Don't know how the Lindy boot looks like once they are full of scratches, and I'm also not sure if Pecards is the right treatment for that kind of leather. Well, what else to say.. they come in a green Alden box (405s are shipped in a black one), no extra laces (!) but shoe bags which is quite nice. Fit exactly the same as 405s of the same size. - A great alternative boot for Indy-style boot lovers and collectors. - IG, I honestly hope they'll get another shipment of 10.5's.. Ah, almost forgot, in the boot's lining is a printing "Alden of New England", I guess they are exclusively made by them as the AF64 for example are exclusively made by Alden of Carmel. Maybe it's worth dropping them an email..?

Oh, one last thing, I owned three pair of standard 405s in my life and the Lindy's boot quality just seems to be better to me (stitching-wise, esp. the big white thread on top of the welt, the whole finish looks a bit better).

Best Regards
TFG.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks

Post by IndianaGeo »

TFG,
Thanks much for the review! I think those boots sound great and fit the niche between dress and work books. It´s a nice place to be and would be a great choice for any real Indy or Lindy. Well done. I´ll be looking into a pair of Red Wing Gentleman Traveler boots in the meantime. When the Aldens come up again on Orvis I might pull the trigger on those too. Take care.
IG
Mola Ram
Vendor

Re: Got one?

Post by Mola Ram »

TheFedoraGuy wrote:
IndianaGeo wrote:FedoraGuy,

IG, I ordered mine somewhen last week on www.orvis.com, they arrived Friday (! to Europe!) but I was not home and had to arrange a 2nd delivery so I got them just yesterday. Well today I checked the Orvis page again and they say the 10.5 are sold out... Sorry mate :-(

BTW I personally think they are as american made as the standard 405s since everything is the same but the upper leather. Sole and heel construction is exactly the same than the 405s, packing and shoe bags are exactly the same than the AF64 or the black cordovan shell Indy boot. There is even the "Alden Foot Balance" print on them.

BTW2, I think they are made of dark brown nubuck leather (you know the one which leaves marks if you touch it).
All alden shoes that exist in the world are made at the factory in MA. They don't have any other factories...

Runs just like this one, are done custom, and have about a 7-10 month wait. Just like the Carmel orders, and the Soul orders. These probably won't be back for a long time. Looks like they sold out fast.. :(

The 10.5 (what I wear) was gone when i first looked at them...so I couldn't really fall into buying them... :lol: