A little advice on certain routes or a cheap prop gun

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Shawn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

A little advice on certain routes or a cheap prop gun

Post by Shawn »

I have gone over many threads and have come down to a few choices. First off I only want the gun to fill the holster and give the belt the droop that the weight of a gun would. I don't want to spend much so of course the cheaper the better, but then there is too cheap to really enjoy.

I have the route that is located in this thread;
viewtopic.php?t=16462&highlight=toy+gun

It would cost me $15 to get 2 of the guns shipped to me. (2 so I don't have to worry about messing one up and spending the money on shipping again) And I will have to work on getting it weighted and better looking.

Then there is the next step up which has 2 options:

http://gamesfantasy.com/gnb-131.html
and
http://www.shortyusa.com/airsoft.html?h ... 1159380373
I like the fact that these are heavier, but I also am not too sure if they are the same ones. the Shorty site says what parts are metal and the gun weighs almost 1 lb. But the other site is $10 bucks cheaper and doesn't say what the gun is made of and yet it is slightly heavier.

Does anyone know if there is adifference?

then there is the final choice, although the cost is really not where I am prepared to go now and probably later. I just really want this one.

viewtopic.php?t=15850&highlight=

So I have a choice of $15 and some work for so so, $50-60 for a weighted decent looking prop (that has movement too) and finally, over $100 for closest in looks not so sure of the weight and just really out of my expense league.

What do you all think out there?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I'd say go with the last choice. Save up the cash for it. If you get one the other ones,(if you are anything like me) you'll always be looking at that awesome repro and wishing that you got that one. He will make you a 'heavyweight' version if you ask, that's what he did for me. It's not as heavy as a real one, but heavy enough for the 'droop' you are looking for. Ask him if he'll work out a 'payment' deal with you, so you can make a commitment to send cash to him and get the gun when paid in full, that way you can make a conscious effort to get it quicker. Maybe he'll work with ya!

Just my opinion, friend! The ultimate decision is yours! :wink:

TR
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Both the ShortyUSA and Gamesfantasy guns are the same gun. I bought mine from Gamesfantasy because they had the lowest price I'd found. However, my gun was packed horribly, with everything just bouncing around loose inside of a larger box. It was also missing two shells, only coming with four. I emailed them asking about getting the two missing shells and they told me I'd have to BUY more.

The gun itself is pretty good...It does have a good feel to it, since it has a fair amount of metal on it, plus you can dry fire it, open the cylinder, remove the shells, etc...

Here's mine after a bit of repainting:

Now, because it's based on a .38, not a .45, it's a little smaller than Indy's gun, but it's a great "close enough."
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

WinstonWolf359 wrote:Both the ShortyUSA and Gamesfantasy guns are the same gun. I bought mine from Gamesfantasy because they had the lowest price I'd found. However, my gun was packed horribly, with everything just bouncing around loose inside of a larger box. It was also missing two shells, only coming with four. I emailed them asking about getting the two missing shells and they told me I'd have to BUY more.

The gun itself is pretty good...It does have a good feel to it, since it has a fair amount of metal on it, plus you can dry fire it, open the cylinder, remove the shells, etc...

Here's mine after a bit of repainting:

Now, because it's based on a .38, not a .45, it's a little smaller than Indy's gun, but it's a great "close enough."
Do you have a website for them? Thats a good close enough gun if the price is right.
masa
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by masa »

In the first post.
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

For the airsoft one, though the other place is cheaper, I'd reccomend getting it from shorty USA. First of all, the customer service is fantastic. I've done business with them several times and they always answer my questions quickly and honestly. Two, thye wil ALWAYS ship your item between one and three business days without charging you for the extra shipping. If the gun breaks, e-mail them and just be honest. If there is no evidence of the gun being mishandled and that it is a mechanical problem, they will refund your money or send you a new one, even if it is no longer under warranty. Other sites I've been on have just said "Sorry, not our problem."
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I just bought the Airsoft revolver as well and it's about as close as your going to get to a replica of Indy's gun without going over $100. Once you start getting up past $100 you might as well save up and buy a real gun.....which is what I'm planning on doing.

Here's some shots of mine. By the way the revolver comes with an extra grip piece that takes about 30 seconds to remove and the tip of the barrel is painted orange which can be fixed with a little paint.

Shawn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Shawn »

Well I was pretty confident in the Shorty site and the comments here bolstered that thought. I ordered mine last night and we'll see what happens when it comes in. That much closer to a full close enough set-up!
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

Pitfall,

That "extra grip piece", is it by chance actually aluminum with metal retention clips?
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

carebear wrote:Pitfall,

That "extra grip piece", is it by chance actually aluminum with metal retention clips?
nope. Its just a peice of plastic with an attached clip on the bottom that clips into a hole in the grips.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, it's pretty useless if you ask me. I don't see why they even put it on there. I think the grip is just as comfortable with it off as it is on. :?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Those grip fillers were REAL popular back in the late 50's/early 60's, and were the way to go for folks with big hands. The grip area on the Smith and Colts were pretty small in those days, and there were no specialty grip producers until the late 60's like Pachmyer and the like. That filler allows someone with a large had to have a better hold on the gun, rather that wrap their fingers over themselves on a small framed gun.

My hands are pretty big, and I've shot Colt Detective .38's with a filler grip in place, and it does indeed allow for a LOT more control over the gun.

Regards! Michaelson
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I use a Tyler T-grip on my Model 22.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Michaelson wrote:Those grip fillers were REAL popular back in the late 50's/early 60's, and were the way to go for folks with big hands. The grip area on the Smith and Colts were pretty small in those days, and there were no specialty grip producers until the late 60's like Pachmyer and the like. That filler allows someone with a large had to have a better hold on the gun, rather that wrap their fingers over themselves on a small framed gun.

My hands are pretty big, and I've shot Colt Detective .38's with a filler grip in place, and it does indeed allow for a LOT more control over the gun.

Regards! Michaelson

Ah, now I see.....Thanks for that bit of info. :wink:

I'm really new to the whole "gun market" so I had no idea how that extra grip piece was supposed to help.

I've got big hands myself and I could see where that might come in useful if I was firing a real gun but since I'm basically using this as a prop piece it's just in the way.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

pigirondan wrote:I use a Tyler T-grip on my Model 22.
THAT'S the name of the grip! #-o
Thanks, pigiron! I went brain dead when I was typing that!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

I was maneuvering to buy that Tyler for cheap (or free) if it were real. :wink:

Thank's for blowing my scam. :D
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Now here's a question - can you cross state lines legally with an airsoft? After all, there are Indy Summits to go to!
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

I don't think they're actually banned anywhere, but they aren't protected in transit regardless of state or local laws by FOPA like real firearms are.
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Your best bet is treat it like a real weapon, that is to say keep it a locked gun/pistol case, or in the holster in your luggage. There are a few places in the US where airsoft is "illegal," (cities/counties) but unless you're waving it around you shouldn't have any issues.

Russ