Simple question about GUN BELTS

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: Where am I at? The University of Chicago Where am I from? Strait out of Pennsylvania!

Simple question about GUN BELTS

Post by Gregoire Defense »

How do you wear a gun belt? Do you put it through the loops?
How did Indy wear his?

-GImage
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AppalachiaJones »

I'm running into you a lot on here huh? lol From everything I've seen Indy wears the gunbelt over everything else, not through belt loops or anything. When I get all my gear together I always wear it like this.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: Where am I at? The University of Chicago Where am I from? Strait out of Pennsylvania!

:lol: Hey :)
You know what is going on!

Cool,

How does it stay on?
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Well I'm not sure, I guess theoretically, it could just slide off but I think The key thing is to keep the belt tight enough so that won't happen but not so tight that it looks weird. One thing that helps is having a weighted pistol(real or fake) in your holster. This will kind of keep some tension on the belt. You'll notice the belt has a tendancy to hang more to the right rather than being straight across.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

The web belt is through the loops...the gunbelt is cinched tight just under it:

-Rabittooth
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I just had another little brainstorm. I have never seen anything to make me believe Indy did this but, if you have one of the slide on whip holders, you could probably put your web belt and your leather belt through the whip holder creating a kind of a belt keeper on the left side. Just a thought.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I have a thought.

You could put the gun belt through one of your belt loops. That way it will stay on. :)
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I like it :) Good idea.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Way back when...when you would wear a gunbelt, it's was usually loose, as in the photo above. Now days you wear "keepers" to keep it tight along your belt line. For myself, I like the looseness of the Indy look. It's much easier on your back. You wear a gunbelt tight around your waist for a day and by the end of the day your back is very tight. Since I doubt anyone will be doing any fast draws with their Indy gear, the loose look is fine.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

I still don't understand how some think that the gunbelt will slip off. Has this actually happened to anyone??!!

-Rabittooth
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Uh.... NO, EVER! :shock:
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Hey Rabittooth, they don't slip off. What they do, when they are loose like Indys, is that they move around. When you reach for your gun, you want the holster to always be in the same position and to be fairly anchored there. When they are loose like that, the holster has a tendancy to not be in the same place each time. Also, when you are pulling your gun out, it will sometimes hangup (however slightly) on the holster and since the holster isn't anchored on your hip, the holster will rise up and your free hand will usually come across and hold it down. Am I making that clear?
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Rabittooth wrote:I still don't understand how some think that the gunbelt will slip off. Has this actually happened to anyone??!!
What prevents it from sliping off?
The way you guys talk about it, it seems like you just put the belt around your waist with some slack to the right side. It this is the case, a little bit of pressure on the right side you cause the belt to slip, also if you are running or spinning and things like that, the belt would probably be around your ankles. :)

-GImage
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Gregoire Defense wrote:What prevents it from sliping off?
The way you guys talk about it, it seems like you just put the belt around your waist with some slack to the right side. It this is the case, a little bit of pressure on the right side you cause the belt to slip, also if you are running or spinning and things like that, the belt would probably be around your ankles. :)

-G
I never said there should be any slack on the right side. There was almost no slack in Raiders.

Why don't Policemen's gunbelts slip off?
Why don't Western-type six shooter gunbelts slip off?
Why don't Military equiptment belts slipoff?

None of those belts are attached to the pants as far as I know.

I think they don't slipoff because you make them tight enough that they won't. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

-Rabittooth
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Cool.
It's all good. :)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Rabittooth:
Police officers gunbelts are attached to pants belt. They are secured by "keepers". Keepers go around the gunbelt and the pants belt and hold the gunbelt tight against the waist.

Ever see an old western where the gun belt is pretty loose? Look and see where the holster is tied down to the gunfighters leg. That keeps the holster tight against his leg so it won't flop around and is always in the same place when the gunfighter reaches and pulls the gun out.

If your wearing your Indy gear and have your gun in it's holster and are running around, that holster is going to flap around all over the place. Plus when you sit down and just do the various things you do, the holster will be in front of you one minute, behind you the next and so on.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Since I doubt anyone will be doing any fast draws with their Indy gear, the loose look is fine.
Don't be so sure... as you can read in the Thread under the Fedora Forum: "The Real Reason We Must Bomb Iraq!!!"... some of us are banning together and forming our oun "Raider Militia".

In all honesty, I would like to know how practical wearing a gunbelt would be. I plan on wearing my gunbelt and holster in such a fashion when A)I get the right holster. B)When I get a gun that fits the holster.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Imahomer wrote:Rabittooth:
Police officers gunbelts are attached to pants belt. They are secured by "keepers". Keepers go around the gunbelt and the pants belt and hold the gunbelt tight against the waist.
Cool...one good reason why a cop's belt won't slip down around his knees.
Imahomer wrote: Ever see an old western where the gun belt is pretty loose? Look and see where the holster is tied down to the gunfighters leg. That keeps the holster tight against his leg so it won't flop around and is always in the same place when the gunfighter reaches and pulls the gun out.
If your wearing your Indy gear and have your gun in it's holster and are running around, that holster is going to flap around all over the place. Plus when you sit down and just do the various things you do, the holster will be in front of you one minute, behind you the next and so on.
Right...ok...I never said the holster wouldn't flap around. But that's not what's in question here.
What I want to know is...does anyone here honestly believe that when a grown intelligent man puts on a gunbelt tight enough to seem reasonable to him...without attaching it to the pants...that with (even very vigorous activity)...it will fall around his knees?
Does anybody think they need to attach the gunbelt to the pants or anywhere else to keep it from falling down??!!!

-Rabittooth

(POST-SCRIPTUM- Fisk...man...you have 800 posts and you joined 3 1/2 months ago!!! Do you do anything else? That's phenomenal!)
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

It's interesting when you compare the thought of doing something to actually doing it. When I sit here and think about it, a man tends to get progressivly smaller in form the farther down the body you go and that makes you wonder, what does hold the belt up? Yet, at the same time I have run around with gun belts on ever since I was a little kid(lol) and I have never had one fall off. Fascinating :!:
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

"What I want to know is...does anyone here honestly believe that when a grown intelligent man puts on a gunbelt tight enough to seem reasonable to him...without attaching it to the pants...that with (even very vigorous activity)...it will fall around his knees?"

Simple and direct question and like I said before, the answer is no. I can't believe anyone would really think that it would.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Imahomer wrote:I can't believe anyone would really think that it would.
Why not? I am really interested in the reasoning for this! :D I am not trying to give you a hard time. I am honestly interested in knowing why a gun belt would not slip of your waist when doing vigorous activity!

If you think about it, in all acounts, the gun belt could possibly slip and fall to your ankles and trip you up or do other things. I mean, most men, do not have very broad hips. :D
But this does not happen. Does anybody have a logical explaination for this?

-G
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Gregoire Defense wrote:...Why not?... Does anybody have a logical explaination for this?
-G
I guess not...at least not one that shouldn't already be obvious if you factor in common sense and some small degree of experience living in the physical reality that we all share.

8)

-Rabittooth
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Okay Rabittoth :wink: You are smarter than the rest of us. And it is common sense to you. Great :wink:

But for the rest of us, that do not know why this happens, you are not helping.

-G
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I have to go along with rabittooth. It's pretty basic stuff. Perhaps more for me because I've worn a gunbelt for 20+ years. Unless you are a little kid wearing your fathers gunbelt, or your the village idiot and don't know how to put on a belt... it's not going to fall down.

Look at it like this. If you've got the gunbelt on so loose that it's going to fall down around your ankles, it will do that before you have a chance to walk out the door. It won't wait for you to do some big time running around.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Okay. Personally I have never worn a gun belt. I am preparing to buy one though.

I was just wondering. So if that's the way it is, then I will find out once I get my gun belt.

-G
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

"If you think about it, in all acounts, the gun belt could possibly slip and fall to your ankles and trip you up or do other things."

What accounts? I can't believe I'm even responding to this post! Does it really make that much difference why it doesn't slip down? Just know that it doesn't and we can all talk about something else.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I'm curious, aight? Please. If you don't got something good to respond with then just don't post.

Just because you are more experinced with gun belts then I am, doesn't mean anything. Can I ask questions? Can I live?

:D

Okay.
I was just saying that (I thought) a gunbelt could slip of your waist as easily as a regular belt could slip of your waist. (If it was not in the loops)

But, I will just find out for myself when I get my own gunbelt.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Imahomer wrote:I have to go along with rabittooth. It's pretty basic stuff. Perhaps more for me because I've worn a gunbelt for 20+ years. Unless you are a little kid wearing your fathers gunbelt, or your the village idiot and don't know how to put on a belt... it's not going to fall down.
Look at it like this. If you've got the gunbelt on so loose that it's going to fall down around your ankles, it will do that before you have a chance to walk out the door. It won't wait for you to do some big time running around.
Thanks soooo much Imahomer...I thought I had fallen into a bizarro world or something with this thread. Seriously...Thank God you chimed in. I thought I was going to have to argue the effectiveness of a BELT. This is not high tech stuff...sheesh...what a goofy thread. I can't believe I got this involved in it. :roll:
But I mean...it's a BELT!!! It's used to hold up your pants...not the other way around!!!!!!
*sigh*
I fear for the future sometimes.

:P

-Rabittooth
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Guys, you're missing what Greg is trying to say. We all already know that the gunbelt does not slide off, in fact we no longer care. Now we are wondering Why the belt stays on. On a simple level the answer is "it just does" but when you go up a step and think a little higher you begin to wonder Why it stays on. Logically it should just fall down but alas! it doesn't. Why :?:
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

IndyJones wrote:...we are wondering Why the belt stays on. On a simple level the answer is "it just does" but when you go up a step and think a little higher you begin to wonder Why it stays on. Logically it should just fall down but alas! it doesn't. Why :?:
Because...a...belt...is...designed...to...hold...your....pants...up....

Your pants....are...not...designed...to...hold...your...belt...up.

The whole purpose of a belt is to hold your pants up...that's why it's there. A belt is a thing that you use to keep your pants from falling down.
Your pants are not things you use to keep a belt from falling down.

-Rabittooth
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The Indy gunbelt is worn a little below the waist. It isn't positioned on the body like the trouser belt. Besides, pants have beltloops don't they?
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Thanks IndyJones.

Rabbittooth,
What the heck are you talking about? It is amazing how obnoxious you are. Do you have any idea what the topic of this thread is? Why are you making yourself look stupid by doing this to yourself? You aready proved that you are smarter than the average person here because to you it is "common sence" and "obvious" why a gun belt stays up.

Don't do it.
Don't do this to yourself bruh.

Anyway, forget it, I will find out myself. BTW, Do you know Chicago? Do you really know the University of Chicago? How you luv that? :lol: :wink:

Quit it man.

-G
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Rabbittooth,

We are talking about gun belts bruh. Not pants belts. :lol:
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Amazing. Thank you for explaining how a belt works. I was wondering why my pants kept falling down. Now that the age old riddle of using a belt is solved, maybe we can move onto the actual question: Why does a belt, not supported by anything(i.e BELTLOOPS), with weight on it not slide down? Perhaps they are unfamiliar with the concept of Gravity

Maybe this isn't getting through. It's called thinking outside the box. We already knowfor a fact(!) that belts do not fall down. We are wondering what the reason is. Obviously, there must be some tension somewhere because the gunbelt is loose enough to slide over the trouse belt. So, how about if, like, you don't know the answer, you don't give one! Booyeah.[/i]
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

IndyJones wrote:Amazing. Thank you for explaining how a belt works. I was wondering why my pants kept falling down. Now that the age old riddle of using a belt is solved, maybe we can move onto the actual question: Why does a belt, not supported by anything(i.e BELTLOOPS), with weight on it not slide down? Perhaps they are unfamiliar with the concept of Gravity.
Yes guys..I deeply apologize. You're absolutely right. I don't know what was wrong with me. Without beltloops, belts fall down. Pants have beltloops so that your belts don't fall down. Belts are not for the purpose of holding your pants up via tightening them around your waist.
I dunno...maybe it's "the Force" that keeps them up?
"Belt Angels!!!!" No wait...gremlins!
I'm very sorry to have troubled you with my stupidity.
I surrender to your wisdom M'man.
I can't keep up with you guys. I can't be involved in this debate...
Why don't belts fall down? Hmmmmmm.
Must be that they are held up by the loops in the pants that the belt is designed to hold up by tightening it. But wait.....
I dunno guys...I'm gonna go with...."it's a miracle".

Very valid question though...not dumb at all...
Somebody reanimate Einstein...we got a question for him.

Brilliant guys....keep up the good work.

:wink:

-Rabittooth
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Rabittooth,

It's okay bruh. You don't need to know the answer to everything. :)
IndyJones wrote: So, how about if, like, you don't know the answer, you don't give one!
-G
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

You seem to have a little trouble grasping the concept of Why. When you start thinking you'll find that you ask why a lot. Not because you need to know but because you want to know. I could just go back and copy and paste but I'll go to the trouble of typing it. Why does a loose belt with weight on it not fall down? Before you get fired up and start typing, we already know that it doesn't. Again, we don't care. The question is Why? It could be an interesting discussion if you could control yourself enough to think about it before you answer.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Let's think about what Indiana Jones did.

Did he wedge his gun belt into his web belt?
Probably not, because it would just slip out.

Did he put it in one of the belt loops?
I don't know.

If anybody knows how Indy wore his gun belt, I would like to know. So I will not what to do when I get mine.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

IndyJones wrote:Why does a loose belt with weight on it not fall down? Before you get fired up and start typing, we already know that it doesn't. Again, we don't care. The question is Why? It could be an interesting discussion if you could control yourself enough to think about it before you answer.
Dude...seriously...it's because it's not loose...at least not loose enough to fall off. Y'see : on a belt...there's these little holes on one end. There's a buckle on the other. You advance the buckle far enough along the holes until the belt is tight enough not to fall down. If there's more weight on the belt...make it a bit more snug.
This goes for ANY belt. Gunbelt...pants belt. With loops in the pants...without loops in the pants. Heck...you don't even have to be wearing pants.
In fact...alot of folks wear belts to tighten their pants against the waist using this system.
I think that's why they don't fall down...because MOST of the folks who use them aren't hopelessly retarded and can tighten them so that they don't.
Belts...those amazing gravity combatants, huh?
This is a great thread. I honestly haven't had this much fun here in a while.
You guys are the best.
Seriously...if yer ever in NYC..gimme a buzz...I'll but you a drink "Bruh".
What do you want to talk about next?
Shoelaces?

-Rabittooth

Next on COW: Why don't shoelaces fly off your feet and blind passers-by when you run? :wink:
Last edited by Rabittooth on Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

LoL I don't know or care if you were serious about not having this much fun on here in a while but I have to agree, LoL. This is a funny post. All we are doing is beating around the bush. We all three know how a belt works. Greg and I are exagerating the looseness of it while you are pretending not to consider that it could be loose enough to fall off. LoL This was fun.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Okay "bruh."

But if you ever in Chicago, don't look me up mista. I'll clean you out.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

IndyJones wrote:LoL I don't know or care if you were serious about not having this much fun on here in a while but I have to agree, LoL. This is a funny post. All we are doing is beating around the bush. We all three know how a belt works. Greg and I are exagerating the looseness of it while you are pretending not to consider that it could be loose enough to fall off. LoL This was fun.
I'm ###### serious Dakota...this is great.

-Rabittooth
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Gregoire Defense wrote:Okay "bruh."

But if you ever in Chicago, don't look me up mista. I'll clean you out.
That's good man..thanks. I need a good cleaning out. It's getting kinda dusty in here. I appreciate the offer. 8)

-Rabittooth
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

By the way dude, that is one awesome collage you have on your website. Booyeah!
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

IndyJones wrote:By the way dude, that is one awesome collage you have on your website. Booyeah!
Dakota...You on there man? If not...Send me a pic of you in gear and I'll throw it on. The more the merrier.
Hey Greg...you should check out the collage. There's all these pics of belts staying put...it'll be educational for ya. Y'know...Like scientific evidence before you get your gunbelt and see how it works.

-Rabittooth

(PS- I'm not sure the other guy was "exagerating" :roll: )
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Geezus, where are the moderators, this is getting ALMOST as bad as op/ing an IRC Channel on DALnet or EFnet. If you like agruing, thats the place to be, of course don't show up on any channels I'm associated with if you don't want to be "kicked." :evil:

Thought better of you guys! :(

Oh, btw, I'm ALMOST serious. ;)
AppalachiaJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

No, actually I don't even have a pic of myself yet. Thanks a lot though. As soon as I get one I'll let you know. I'd like to get a whip before I take it , that's really the only thing lacking. (The sooner Lee gets back to me about that, the better)
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Nice collage Rabbitooth. :)
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Rixter wrote:Geezus, where are the moderators, this is getting ALMOST as bad as op/ing an IRC Channel on DALnet or EFnet. If you like agruing, thats the place to be, of course don't show up on any channels I'm associated with if you don't want to be "kicked." :evil:
Thought better of you guys! :(
Oh, btw, I'm ALMOST serious. ;)
Sorry Rixter...Perhaps I did get carried away. I'm just concerned for the planet when people who are apparently attending University question how a belt stays on. But, to be fair... the guy offered to do some cleaning for me, so I guess he's alright after all. :wink:

-Rabittooth
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Gregoire Defense wrote:Nice collage Rabbitooth. :)
Thank you Sir. 8) Can't take too much credit, just piecing together the great Indygear work of others.

-Rabittooth