Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by xmasters »

Hedji wrote:
Does anything look glaringly wrong here?

I wouldn't order the x-stitch. Just selecting the prong Buckles by itself gets you a rectangular K stitch which is closer to screen accurate.

The measurements look fine, your backlength is the most I would push it, but at 6'2" you're taller than Ford so it should be fine.

Lining is preference but I like my all satin dark brown lining, the jacket really bounces around on my torso in a way it doesn't with cotton.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

xmasters wrote:
Hedji wrote:

I wouldn't order the x-stitch. Just selecting the prong Buckles by itself gets you a rectangular K stitch which is closer to screen accurate.

The measurements look fine, your backlength is the most I would push it, but at 6'2" you're taller than Ford so it should be fine.

Lining is preference but I like my all satin dark brown lining, the jacket really bounces around on my torso in a way it doesn't with cotton.
Agree on the stitching. I would’ve skipped it if I knew they would do a K stitch as standard. The X box is secure, but a K is also plenty secure compared to a regular box stitch. Feels like something they should’ve made clearer in pictures or description, especially on a jacket a lot of people are ordering purely to have a screen accurate jacket.

I love the cotton liner, but I was very focused on breathability there.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

How would you guys distress this particular leather? It looks pretty tough to me.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I just got my Raiders legacy yesterday.

I'm 6'4" (might be closer to 6'3" if I've settled as a friend had told me), and got the 25.5" back length, seems fine for me. I wanted a "shorter" Indy jacket. I love the leather!
Tough for a lambskin, and actually slept in it last night lol, first time I've ever done that. I love the all cloth lining, wish I had gotten that sooner with other jackets being here in FL. I got the X-box stitching, ah well I'm not going to worry about it. I guess I wanted the extra stitch durability. Will post pics later. Again I'm so happy with this! Looking forward to their LC jacket.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

xmasters wrote:
Hedji wrote:

I actually haven't ordered... YET. Does my back length of 65" seem too long? How about 65.5" for the sleeves? I wanted to allow for extra sleeve to crinkle and shrink, and was thinking the cotton liner would make the sleeves "stickier" inside, so that they could be bunched up a bit.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:
xmasters wrote:
Hedji wrote:

I actually haven't ordered... YET. Does my back length of 65" seem too long? How about 65.5" for the sleeves? I wanted to allow for extra sleeve to crinkle and shrink, and was thinking the cotton liner would make the sleeves "stickier" inside, so that they could be bunched up a bit.
Well JC went with 25.5” at 6’4”, which is the same length I went with at 6’1”, and mine is more fit to me than fit to be screen accurate, so it depends what you’re after. 26” will probably fit you like mine fits which you’ve seen in photos. If you want something a bit shorter and more screen accurate, you might want to try 25.5” or even 25” back length. Still think 26.5” sleeves sounds right for you, and yes, the cotton is stickier for sure.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I keep second guessing my back length....

Silly question: Where is the "Nape of the neck"? And to where do you want it to fall? I was thinking nape is the hard protruding bone where the neck meets the shoulder and the bottom of the jacket should fall to around the top of the pockets of your pants.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:I keep second guessing my back length....

Silly question: Where is the "Nape of the neck"? And to where do you want it to fall? I was thinking nape is the hard protruding bone where the neck meets the shoulder and the bottom of the jacket should fall to around the top of the pockets of your pants.
You have the nape right. The bottom is hard because all bodies, and all pants, are different. If you’re wearing Indy style pants in the traditional way, around your true waist, and you’re purely aiming for a SA fit, then it should land right at the top of your back pockets based on all the screengrabs. Mine hits the top of my back pockets in modern pants/jeans worn a bit below the true waist, so it’s cut longer to fit my style.

What are you after fit-wise?

JC1972 - Any pics of your jacket on that might help show a shorter jacket?
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Fit wise, I'd like to be screen accurate, but for my proportions, if that makes sense.

Here are some photos of me with shirt tucked in and out with where I am measuring from. Any advice would be most appreciated.

These may not be the best, since the pants might not be pulled high enough.

Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

The jacket falls back off the neck a bit, further down than you’ve started your tape measure. At 6’1’, typically a 34’ inseam in pants, I go with 24.5” in Legacy or Hero. With the different jackets used in Raiders, do you prefer the shorter look or the longer look seen in the Imam scene?

I think I’d lean towards 25” for you max. I think you’d feel like 26” is too long.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Agree. Based on those pics I would suggest 24”-24.5”.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Pics later tonight, doing errands and such
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thank you guys for the feedback in back length. I think I will go with 25". I really appreciate it, truly.... it means so much to me that this community steps in to support a relative new guy with so much help.

Is my logic on 26.5" for sleeve length sound, that longer is better and would provide more of that "crinkle" up the arm? I don't want it to be constantly slipping down my fingers, but I do want enough length to get the horizontal crinkles.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Thank you guys for the feedback in back length. I think I will go with 25". I really appreciate it, truly.... it means so much to me that this community steps in to support a relative new guy with so much help.

Is my logic on 26.5" for sleeve length sound, that longer is better and would provide more of that "crinkle" up the arm? I don't want it to be constantly slipping down my fingers, but I do want enough length to get the horizontal crinkles.
I think so. Mine are 25.5” and you’re a bit taller than me and saying you measured at 26”. Plus, worst case scenario, sleeves are the easiet thing to have a tailor shorten.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Chose Poorly wrote:Plus, worst case scenario, sleeves are the easiet thing to have a tailor shorten.
That was precisely my thinking also.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hedji wrote:Thank you guys for the feedback in back length. I think I will go with 25". I really appreciate it, truly.... it means so much to me that this community steps in to support a relative new guy with so much help.

Based on the picture I was going to say stay at 26" back. You could go with 25.5 back"
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Here are pics. I did them quick and I was tired. Again this I'm around 6'3"-6'4" with 45" chest; this is a 46, 26.5 sleeves and 25.5 back,. I'm back running so I hope to lose some pounds soon. Let me know if any questions, hope this helps anyone.

http://imgur.com/gallery/tX9Q38I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That link is broken I'm afraid.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

xmasters wrote:You're 6'3" . Definitely go with 26" back then. You have to allow for the jacket coming in a little bit less than what you order. Also once the jacket gets broken in and crinkled up you lose a bit more.
Well I already got it, did you see the pics? I had 26.5 in my Hero and it seemed a bit long for me. I'm happy with it as it is. Maybe I'll get 26 for my TOD or LC
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

xmasters wrote:That link is broken I'm afraid.
Oh, try it now. I had it hidden after I initially had it public as people were making idiotic comments. I'm still new to imgur, I miss Photobucket

https://imgur.com/gallery/tX9Q38I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

JC1972 wrote:
Oh, try it now. I had it hidden after I initially had it public as people were making idiotic comments. I'm still new to imgur, I miss Photobucket

https://imgur.com/gallery/tX9Q38I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like a great fit JC. And you got lucky in the pocket flap department! Did you ask them to make sure your pockets were prominently scalloped, or just get a good batch?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Chose Poorly wrote:
JC1972 wrote:

Looks like a great fit JC. And you got lucky in the pocket flap department! Did you ask them to make sure your pockets were prominently scalloped, or just get a good batch?
Thank you CP! I'm quite pleased with it. No I didn't, just got lucky.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

JC1972 wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:
JC1972 wrote:

Thank you CP! I'm quite pleased with it. No I didn't, just got lucky.
Good for you! I was hoping for slightly better pockets.

Also noticed some “lazy” stitching where the liner meets the top of the zipper on mine. Nothing structurally concerning, but I have a tendency to like straight lines. QC ain’t what it used to be I suppose.
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hello there. Here's my distressed Legacy Raiders.
I've used sandpaper and leather dye to achieve this look.
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/6lca.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/cx3g.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/amf1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/3g25.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/akmp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

ltfoley wrote:Hello there. Here's my distressed Legacy Raiders.
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/6lca.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/cx3g.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/amf1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/3g25.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://zupimages.net/up/21/12/akmp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought the whole purpose of this new legacy skin is to have the correct undertones as the skin is practically black to begin with. Do you have any photos of the original undertone before using the leather dye?
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Thee wrote:
ltfoley wrote:Hello there. Here's my distressed Legacy Raiders.
I thought the whole purpose of this new legacy skin is to have the correct undertones as the skin is practically black to begin with. Do you have any photos of the original undertone before using the leather dye?
Unfortunately no, and i wasn't satisfied with the undertone after only a little "sanding", so i followed the advice of a member on another thread and went the dye route. I don't regret it.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Thee wrote: I thought the whole purpose of this new legacy skin is to have the correct undertones as the skin is practically black to begin with. Do you have any photos of the original undertone before using the leather dye?
To my eye, the leather is quite dark on these Legacy jackets. I know it is all subjective, but I see the Raiders jacket as a chocolate brown. Regardless, everyone has personal preferences for what looks best on them.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Full disclosure... I am agonizing over my measurements for sleeve length and back length.
I plan to wear with full gear, but also in daily life.
I love the idea of the crinkled sleeves, and want extra length to hopefully achieve that. But how long is too long? Do I measure to the thumb knuckle or finger knuckle?
I compiled some shots that I think best show back and sleeves. I'm aware they are not all the same jacket, but it is interesting to see the amount of crinkle and the lower extremes to where the cuff falls on Ford's hand.
I keep going back and forth on back length and sleeve length, and I'm not sure how to resolve it, but if these pictures spur on any discussion, then it was worth a few minutes to compile them.

I'm not sure how these pics of the back help, if at all. Odd how in both the Imam shots, the jacket appears "boxy" in back, compared to the left 2 jungle shots.

Pic on left in the temple seems to be the lowest the cuff falls, and you still get that crinkle. I would be overjoyed to achieve this look.

First idol snatch pic shows cuff very low. Then Ford literally snaps his right arm to raise the cuff as he brings his hand up to his face.
First Raven Bar shot shows how cuff moves up with action. Second Raven Bar shot shows a nice long cuff. Raven bar shot on far right shows great crinkling, but still a long cuff.

If anyone wants these bigger, let me know.

If anyone wants to offer more sleeve or back measuring advice, let me know. I'm feeling like I need to just "take out the Arab swordsman and move on."
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Hedji, I hear you about wondering what size to get. It's not easy, especially for us tall guys. I've always measured to thumb knuckle. So I would suggest the 26.5 sleeves. For back length, I'd say 25. You're about an inch or so shorter than me and I got 25.5 back length. I don't know if you saw the pics link I had posted above of me with my legacy jacket. And being in Rochester, yes I would recommend the satin sleeves. I lived 36 years up north on Long Island, which of course is not as brutal as upstate. I'm just glad I got the all cotton now being here in Florida, and being easier for me to wear here. Good luck with your decisions, and I hope you get to make one soon. I know it can be agonizing.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Measure to the first knuckle of your thumb (closest to your wrist).
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji measured at 26" to the first thumb knuckle. If you're looking for that little bit of extra length, you shouldn't need more than 0.5". Go with 26.5" man!

I measured at 25" and made the exact same adjustment for the exact same reason, and the 25.5" sleeves are perfect.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Measure your arm length to the first knuckle and then add 1" onto that measurment. The sleeve wrinkle can be achieved with water etc, but some leather just does that wrinkle naturally. I'm not sure if the 'legacy leather' is ideal for the sleeve wrinkle, it's on the thick side, mine is anyway.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

xmasters wrote:Measure your arm length to the first knuckle and then add 1" onto that measurment. The sleeve wrinkle can be achieved with water etc, but some leather just does that wrinkle naturally. I'm not sure if the 'legacy leather' is ideal for the sleeve wrinkle, it's on the thick side, mine is anyway.
If he did that his sleeves would be comically long on wested's hero cut which hangs way to far off the shoulders for a accurate raiders jacket.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Distressed Legacy jacket. Click picture for larger.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

So... Crazy question, and I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome...But

For a tall and somewhat slim person like me, is the Temple of Doom jacket a better choice? Is it sacrilege to mix a TOD jacket with a Raiders fedora?

Does anyone have any photo examples of the more tailored look of the TOD?

And, would I use the same measurements?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I personally don't know much about the TOD jacket, but was wondering about that as my next jacket choice.
Maybe if you ask Michaelson, he knows his stuff. Don't know what other jacket gurus are out there, I'm just getting back into it on here after a hiatus. Maybe KT Templar too.
Maybe make your own thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle here.

Sacrilege? Wear whatever makes you happy. Only true Indy gearheads would know. I am in the 501st Legion, which is a Star Wars costuming group. You wouldn't believe how many times a tie fighter pilot gets called Darth Vader by the general public. Or Kylo Ren gets called Darth Vader. Oy! ](*,)

Have you tried to do some research? Maybe try using the search function if it's feasible. That's what I try to do first. Good luck with your quest! :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hedji wrote:So... Crazy question, and I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome...But

For a tall and somewhat slim person like me, is the Temple of Doom jacket a better choice? Is it sacrilege to mix a TOD jacket with a Raiders fedora?

Does anyone have any photo examples of the more tailored look of the TOD?

And, would I use the same measurements?

Temple of Doom jacket is more normal measurments. I would go with 26" sleeves and back for you. It's more tailored around the gut area, but that's not a problem for you. Just watch the movie to see how the jacket fits differently, it's pretty obvious. It's a tighter fit. Honestly I prefer it. Wish I'd ordered a ToD now.

The hat style thing is preference. I prefer to stick to a 'look' from one of the films.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thank you, xmasters! Is it correct that the TOD sleeves are also narrower? My arms are on the thin side.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hedji wrote:Thank you, xmasters! Is it correct that the TOD sleeves are also narrower? My arms are on the thin side.
I'm not sure if I'd say narrower, but well tailored. For the chest order your exact closest size.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

xmasters wrote:
Hedji wrote:Thank you, xmasters! Is it correct that the TOD sleeves are also narrower? My arms are on the thin side.
I'm not sure if I'd say narrower, but well tailored. For the chest order your exact closest size.
Decent repost of a customer’s ToD pic on Wested’s Twitter if you haven’t seen already:
https://twitter.com/mlbukowski/status/1 ... 29888?s=21

Maybe that’s your ticket, Hedji? I put my hands in my pockets a lot, so I don’t think I could do it, personally... unless I was holding little doll hands like that Kristen Wiig SNL character. That and I like the range of motion for my arms and shoulders in the Raiders. You look somewhat broad in the shoulders and narrow in the waist. Could also be worth holding out for an LC jacket?
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Ordered! \:D/

After much thought and weighing advice from family, friends, and of course COW members, I went with

Raiders, 42" chest, 26" back, 26.5" sleeves, all cotton lining, K-stitch double prong, and an inner pocket

I decided I need this jacket to look good on my particular body shape, and I think a little longer works for my frame. I can always water treat it to shorten it if needed. :lol:

Thank you everyone for weighing in. I'll of course post pictures. Now the waiting.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:Ordered! \:D/

After much thought and weighing advice from family, friends, and of course COW members, I went with

Raiders, 42" chest, 26" back, 26.5" sleeves, all cotton lining, K-stitch double prong, and an inner pocket

I decided I need this jacket to look good on my particular body shape, and I think a little longer works for my frame. I can always water treat it to shorten it if needed. :lol:

Thank you everyone for weighing in. I'll of course post pictures. Now the waiting.
Awesome, dude! I think you made the right call. Congrats on getting the order in.

Now, after all your agonizing, the even worse part... WAITING! #-o
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Chose Poorly wrote:
xmasters wrote:
Decent repost of a customer’s ToD pic on Wested’s Twitter if you haven’t seen already:
https://twitter.com/mlbukowski/status/1 ... 29888?s=21

Maybe that’s your ticket, Hedji? I put my hands in my pockets a lot, so I don’t think I could do it, personally... unless I was holding little doll hands like that Kristen Wiig SNL character. That and I like the range of motion for my arms and shoulders in the Raiders. You look somewhat broad in the shoulders and narrow in the waist. Could also be worth holding out for an LC jacket?
Ah just get all 3! You know you want to....

:CR:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hedji wrote:Ordered! \:D/

Congrats on the order, you won't be disapointed.

Careful with the water treatment as the leather shrinks differently than fabric, and sometimes the fabric shrinks more than the leather does, which implies that the lining is retailored... Big mess. Happened to me once.

:[
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

TOTALLY agree with this advice. :M: :tup:

Before you delve into the 'black arts' of distressing (which I don't practice myself), think long and hard before doing anything to a rather expensive non-replaceable item, then once deciding to do so, go slow. Once you go down that path, if you mess up you can't send it back.

There have been too many 'regrets' posted here over the years, and little can be offered but 'sorry to hear about that' and 'put a heavy coating of Pecards on it and hope for the best!' :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Getting caught in a light rain shower I think is better than intentionally soaking the jacket, IMO. ;)
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Much appreciated sage wisdom, Michaelson. :notworthy:

My distressing advice... put it on and never take it off again (except in the shower, ironically).
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thank you all for the sage advice.

I won't take the leap from the lion's head without serious, serious time and consideration. You've probably noticed I don't make decisions easily. :lol:
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I know I may be in the minority here, but I couldn't bear to give this jacket a shower. I love the look and feel of it just as it is.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Like Michaelson, I'm personally not an artificial distresser myself. Partly it's a fear of damage and partly it's a desire to give the jacket my own "story" via wear. But to each his own.

But having seen and felt one of these Legacy jackets in person the other day, I definitely wouldn't distress it. It reminded me a lot of a lamb version of BK's Liberty hide. That stuff will take a natural patina very quickly.