Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Wested Legacy series announced

Post by Michaelson »

https://www.wested.com/the-new-wested-l ... -111-c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by Kokopelli »

Very interesting...
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, I knew they were working on something. I got wind they were working on a new leather, and *someone* had been procuring snaps and buckles and it wasn't S&J or BK.

I'm glad they went back to the drawing board and it looks like a quality jacket at certainly a good price. I always felt the Hero was more of a caricature with several exaggerations. But now comes the myriad fit questions.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Based on their posts, it looks like the same pattern of the hero jacket. Notable differences would be the leather and hardware. I might be wrong though.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, we'll have to see. I will say it seems they may have been making some subtle adjustments to the Hero pattern over the past year. One of the most obvious I've seen on newer Heroes looks like they finally shortened the strap. The pocket flaps look like they've been tweaked as well and possibly the fit to be a less exaggerated taper, though it could also be the form it's on. At least that's my hope. No doubt they're well aware of the detailed photos of the truck jacket we've all got now and the S&J offering.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

:-k
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

So, any idea of how this new offering compares to other jackets? I currently own one of their standard stock Raiders and I was thinking about upgrading.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Wested’s posting on Facebook shows some interesting pre-distressing. I think it gives it a really phenomenal look. I’m curious to see if it will be offered that way.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

I am giving this heavy consideration.

My jacket is a 1989 LC jacket I got from J. Riggings Back in the day, and I’ve been wanting a Raiders upgrade.

Any advice on how to do the back measurement for proper length?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I have one, these are straight out of the box, the jacket has nice acurate hardware: 2 prong buckles, n*pple style poppers and a white metal zipper, the Berman's label is sewn onto the liner minus the leather patch they normally use and there's and embroidered dedication sewn inside the pocket.

The pocket flaps are nicely curved and the straps seem shorter, fit of the jacket seems the same as my other hero of the same size.

The new leather is very nice, it's normal smooth lambskin, dark brown in colour and looking at others that have arrived it distresses well. Weight is like my lamb from 2005 ish.

Thank you Mick and Sally and the crew, fab jacket.

Please excuse the awkward face. :)

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I might get one. If I was in the market for a Wested Hero jacket amidst this announcement I would definitely buy this.

I might get the Doom legacy jacket.

Edit: Wested have just annouced that due to a big Covid outbreak in London they are having staff shortages in their London factory. They've pulled all custom jacket pages off the site for the time being. Orders already placed will be done as soon as possible.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Interesting, the link from Michaelson is no longer active and a search of Wested does not produce any information for Legacy jackets. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Interesting, the link from Michaelson is no longer active and a search of Wested does not produce any information for Legacy jackets. :-k

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
They shut the entire custom section of their site down for the time being. In addition to the lockdown it seems they may have had a covid outbreak in the factory. My guess is it'll be a month at least. I mean Scotland is going on total lockdown for the month, too. I just hope everyone stays healthy and safe.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Though it doesn’t say it on their website, on their FB page it says custom and Legacy orders are being taken again, so this thread is reopened for business.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I ordered one. 8)
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Could you give us a review once you get it?
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Yes please add a review when you get it! I am kicking myself for not waiting. I assumed they would be closed down for longer than they were, and now have ordered jackets from Magnoli and S&J. I’m sure I will be happy with them, but this option looks great.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

I wonder if the new skin they are using for these jackets is veg tanned as per the jackets used in the film.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Kt Templar wrote:I have one, these are straight out of the box, the jacket has nice acurate hardware: 2 prong buckles, n*pple style poppers and a white metal zipper, the Berman's label is sewn onto the liner minus the leather patch they normally use and there's and embroidered dedication sewn inside the pocket.

The pocket flaps are nicely curved and the straps seem shorter, fit of the jacket seems the same as my other hero of the same size.

The new leather is very nice, it's normal smooth lambskin, dark brown in colour and looking at others that have arrived it distresses well. Weight is like my lamb from 2005 ish.

Thank you Mick and Sally and the crew, fab jacket.

Please excuse the awkward face. :)

Is that an LC jacket? The pocket flaps look very broad.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I don’t see any snaps on it.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The pocket flaps are not particularly deep, though you should know I have a shortened jacket as I'm so short myself.

Starting to work on the distressing, though more work is needed.

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I have a Raiders Hero that’s not even a year old in the classic brown lambskin. Short of the buckles and snaps, how different is this new lambskin from the traditional offering? As much as I want this jacket, i have to justify it with the wife somehow. :lol:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Would getting the TOD justify it enough?
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

I ordered a TOD legacy the minute they opened orders and it arrived a few days ago and I absolutely love it.

My only other Indy jacket is a shrunken lamb Hero I got early last year. Oh, and I have a standard Raiders in lamb that I got on eBay which doesn’t fit me well (so I need to get around to selling it).

Anyway: the lamb on this feels different than the standard lamb I got last year. It’s heavier and feels more substantial somehow (it also smells quite different, in a good way!).

I’m having a hard time convincing myself to even do the hot water trick on it because I love the flexibility of this jacket (my Hero got kind of shell-like after hot water, though I love how it made the grain pop).
I’m not sure if there’s a way to eliminate the shininess because I would do that, but I’m in love with everything else about this jacket.

I don’t know how this feels so different to me, but in some ways, I like this better than the Hero.
I think part of it is that I mostly wear vintage 40s and 50s jackets every day and this fits me much more like one of those. (I also ordered it a bit short because I wear fairly high-waisted vintage trousers and I like a short jacket.)
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Also, I should mention the difference in the leather, because it’s a big deal to me.

My Hero (in shrunken lamb) is amazing. I love it.
I got a second hand (but basically brand new) standard Raiders in lamb shortly afterward, because it was a good deal and I wanted to compare.

The leather in the standard felt kind of...not exactly cheap, but...”fashion”-ish? Haha. I know that doesn’t make much sense. But it’s so smooth and shiny. Practically grainless. Which, I know, a water treatment would probably go a long way on that. The fit wasn’t really right, and since I plan to sell it, I didn’t want to do that.

Anyway: the lamb on this Legacy jacket is something else. It’s heavier, and it has some grain, right out of the box. It just feels way more substantial and I can’t say enough how much I love it. This feels like what Indy’s jacket always looked like to me.

Pics below. On the left is the Legacy, on the right is the Standard.
Again, this is the Legacy out of the box. It’s nice and heavy but it’s so soft that the collar lays down in a nice way thanks to the weight and suppleness. Could not be less stiff.

Also, I know the tags shouldn’t make a big difference, but boy do I love the Bermans and Nathans tag plainly stitched in there. Also, there’s a very small cloth hanger for a coat hook - much smaller than my Hero or Standard.
Attachments
A8C56A3C-4AB0-4E5D-8688-65B567CFDAF5.jpeg
BB736624-49BE-4E9B-AEA1-9A93C8D1C12D.jpeg
BB736624-49BE-4E9B-AEA1-9A93C8D1C12D.jpeg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 29961 times
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Very nice; if you get the chance, could you post more images of it?
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Seconded and hopefully KT will show us his distressed end results in time as well
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Sure, I can post some more pics when I get home tonight.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

havershaw wrote:Also, I should mention the difference in the leather, because it’s a big deal to me.

I got a second hand (but basically brand new) standard Raiders in lamb shortly afterward, because it was a good deal and I wanted to compare.

The leather in the standard felt kind of...not exactly cheap, but...”fashion”-ish? Haha. I know that doesn’t make much sense. But it’s so smooth and shiny. Practically grainless. Which, I know, a water treatment would probably go a long way on that. The fit wasn’t really right, and since I plan to sell it, I didn’t want to do that.

Anyway: the lamb on this Legacy jacket is something else. It’s heavier, and it has some grain, right out of the box. It just feels way more substantial and I can’t say enough how much I love it. This feels like what Indy’s jacket always looked like to me.

Again, this is the Legacy out of the box. It’s nice and heavy but it’s so soft that the collar lays down in a nice way thanks to the weight and suppleness. Could not be less stiff.

Also, I know the tags shouldn’t make a big difference, but boy do I love the Bermans and Nathans tag plainly stitched in there. Also, there’s a very small cloth hanger for a coat hook - much smaller than my Hero or Standard.

Havershaw, it makes perfect sense and you hit the nail on the head there. My Hero from last year, as well as an LC from over 10 years ago are both the regular lamb and both have exactly the same characteristics as you described. The LC began tearing at the warmer pockets and so I’ve been much more cautious when wearing the Hero. I’d love to have a lamb Wested that has that extra bit of sustenance to it to make it “adventure-ready”. Sounds like this might be it.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

IJJTM wrote:Very nice; if you get the chance, could you post more images of it?
Third-ed!

Sounds great! Since Wested copied the Noel Howard jacket directly, I'm not surprised it seems so good. Great to hear about the leather. Would love to see photos, especially strap hardware, attachments and bottom vent.

Cheers.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Sure, I can grab pics of whatever folks want.

Warning to IndyPurists: this jacket is gonna seem seriously short to you. Haha. I like a shorter, Eisenhower-style jacket and since I already had a Hero that I love, my whole point here was to get something that was different enough that I would have a legit reason to own 2. Otherwise, I’d just wear the one I liked all the time and the other one would sit in the closet.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

oooh....Wested's site says 'LC coming soon' \:D/
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Ahhh! “The board attachment quota has been reached”!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

](*,)
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

darn
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Bureaucratic fools! ... :CR:
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

If the leather looks good on these then I will definitely be ordering a LC version once it's revealed.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Ahhhhhh, I'm so torn! With Raider's 40th, I think it's fitting to get the Hero in the Raiders style, but I also would love an LC. ](*,) Prior to this news, I was giving strong consideration to Steele & Jones' Cazadora '38
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

havershaw wrote:Ahhh! “The board attachment quota has been reached”!
You can upload to imgur and just post into the message body using the Img links instead of attaching directly to the post/thread.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Rather reminds me of goatskin vs lamb..
havershaw wrote:Also, I should mention the difference in the leather, because it’s a big deal to me.

havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

It’s definitely lamb, but I agree with that goatskin comparison, actually. I have enough goatskin jackets that I know it isn’t goat, but there’s definitely something reminiscent of it.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

That was my first thought. The pebbling almost looks like goatskin, but less uniform and defined. It looks good.

I wonder what the LC is going to look like, supposing they are going to do a separate skin for it.. They must be doing a different, more orange undertone on it to get the right distressing. I'd be surprised if it's a heavier skin than this one is, tho.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Looking at their measuring guide...

Any rule of thumb for measuring the back length?

Or the arm length for that matter?
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Hedji wrote:Looking at their measuring guide...

If it’s cut like the hero jacket, which I believe it is, it’s a unique fit. This link helped me when I was sizing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/westedleat ... ition/amp/
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

My rule of thumb is if you own a Wested standard Raiders and you want the Hero to hit the same spot on your pants, get the back length a good 1.5" shorter. Generally speaking the cut of the Hero will make it hang a good 2" lower than a normally cut jacket of the same length.

The sleeves, well they usually hang lower as well because of the shoulders but they're also easily shortened and a lot depends on the individual's shoulders.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

The back length on this is more like my standard Raiders (but the fit is different cause it’s a TOD).

I didn’t realize the sleeve length would be different on a Hero, so I ordered the same sleeve length I did on the Hero. If I had to do it over again, I’d probably get an extra 1” or .5” in the sleeve in this TOD.

The Hero’s sleeves were really long for me, then I used some hot water and now they’re perfect. The TOD sleeves sit about where I’d want them without any shrinkage so that’s another reason I don’t want to use hot water on this jacket.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Indiana_Nate wrote:

If it’s cut like the hero jacket, which I believe it is, it’s a unique fit. This link helped me when I was sizing.

Wow! Thanks for that, Nate! Lots to consider. I am 6’2” 185 lbs and the part of that article that frightens me is:
If you’re tall and slim, the jacket will drown you.
I’m hesitant to start estimating compensations in measurements, but this would be my first (perhaps only) Wested, and I’d hate to screw it up.
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Hedji wrote:
Indiana_Nate wrote:

Wow! Thanks for that, Nate! Lots to consider. I am 6’2” 185 lbs and the part of that article that frightens me is:
If you’re tall and slim, the jacket will drown you.
I’m hesitant to start estimating compensations in measurements, but this would be my first (perhaps only) Wested, and I’d hate to screw it up.
Harrison Ford was tallish and slim, I think you would be fine with a hero.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

I’m 5’ 9”, 150 lbs and I love my Hero!
I wear a 38R and I ordered:
23” back
24.5” sleeves

But it’s still a bit of a loose jacket (as it should be). I treated it with hot water to bring the grain out, which shrunk it a bit (the sleeves were super long so they shrunk to the perfect spot).
I did the same measurements on my Legacy TOD and it’s a more fitted, true vintage-looking jacket and I love it too.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thee wrote:Harrison Ford was tallish and slim, I think you would be fine with a hero.
Thank you. According to the internet ( :-k ) We are pretty much the same height.