Gibson & Barnes Expedition: Was This a Good Buy?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Gibson & Barnes Expedition: Was This a Good Buy?

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Today I bought a 44T Expedition on eBay… there were only two pictures on the listing. I asked the seller for a few more and they sent a few more. I have no clue about the hide, the lining does look really good, and I’m excited to get my hands on it after reading nothing but great things about G&B.

Anyone here with a 44 able to tell me the measurements?

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/bL16a2A
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Gibson & Barnes Expedition: Was This a Good Buy?

Post by Michaelson »

Any G&B Expo acquisition is a great buy, depending on how much you paid.
Congratulations!
You need to determine if it is an off the rack or made to measure. They sold both versions.
The ‘T’ had a longer body than the standard by about 2” or so.

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Looks like goat. If so that thing is a TANK. Assuming the fit is what you want, that is a fantastic buy!
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Michaelson wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:54 am Any G&B Expo acquisition is a great buy, depending on how much you paid.
Congratulations!
You need to determine if it is an off the rack or made to measure. They sold both versions.
The ‘T’ had a longer body than the standard by about 2” or so.

Regards! Michaelson
Interesting, the seller really didn’t know much about it. They had a basic “nice leather bomber jacket” description. No measurements or anything, so it is a gamble. As someone who is pretty tall, I’m hoping it fits well. Sleeves will be my main concern. I’m hoping that since G&B made them to milspec it’ll be fine. Back in my uniform days I wore large-long tops and bottoms.
Hollowpond wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:34 pm Looks like goat. If so that thing is a TANK. Assuming the fit is what you want, that is a fantastic buy!
I thought goat as well, but wasn’t sure. I’m hoping so, because I’m aware of the legendary status their goat has. For less than $200, I think it’s worth the try. If I don’t like it, I’ll either throw it on the bazar or eBay or something!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If you got it for less than $200, you got a steal!

I have a G&B goat that had been through several owners, Michaelson included, and it is my favorite Indy jacket.

I hope the sizing works out for you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Western New York Indy »

Wow! That's a really cool find! I don't know much about these jackets, since they probably predate my Indygear journey by quite a bit. But I have heard good things about them. I've seen a few of these on Ebay, but they were always something like $900.

I hope it ends up fitting you, congratulations on a great find! :TOH:

-WNY Indy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My daughter has one of the prototypes that came out of my collection, and I have one in black lambskin. Great jackets!

Regards! M
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

In what was probably the quickest shipment I’ve ever had from eBay, the G&B arrived today! I bought it Saturday night, seller shipped yesterday morning, arrived earlier this afternoon!

I do agree that it’s goatskin, and I can confirm the legends: they’re built like tanks. All in all the fit is good I think, I’m a bit heavier than I’d like, but it still fits well. Sleeves are just a hair shorter than I’d like, but for an OTR 44L… I couldn’t be happier.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/AYyjMi5

The best part? The seller didn’t check the pockets, so I got $3 and a receipt for ice cream. That makes the grand total about $185
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Double reply to say: I’ve never seen goat be so receptive to conditioner. I used some Leather CPR (similar to Bick 4) on it and it SOAKED in. For how little this thing seems to have been worn, it was apparently very dry. Is this common with the G&B goat? Also, is there any way to determine age?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Pretty unusual for any goat, but if it will take it, feed it. As to age, not really. Dave Marshall pretty much stayed with the exact same pattern after all the prototypes were examined and checked off.

Looks great on you!

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It looks brand new and it does look great on you, you have a winner!

Check for any serial number on the tags, if you can find one (I have no idea if there is one to be found) you could try contacting G&B and see if they could determine an age.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I did not know about this maker until your post. Great looking jacket, what a nice find, congrats. :clap:

And the fit looks perfect!

Cheers,
Bear
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yup. You got a winner there!!! Congrats and well done! :clap: