Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Leather - Legacy Last Crusade Jacket

Post by Aveo133 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, but wanted to get your thoughts on the Wested Leather Legacy Last Crusade jacket.

I have a Raiders Hero jacket from Wested, and while I greatly adore it, it does feel rather long and baggy on me (despite doing what I thought were the proper measurements). Only after I purchased the jacket did I learn that the Raiders Hero jacket is an odd fit because it's based on the original jacket that was hastily made for Harrison Ford in 2 weeks. Oh well, lesson learned, but on that note, I do want to get another jacket. This time, a Last Crusade one!

I have my eye on the Legacy LC jacket, but before I order it, I wanted to get your thoughts. Therefore, my question is: how's the Legacy LC fit? Typically, I'm a size 44 with a back size of about 27 (I'm 5ft, 10in, too). I know Wested is kinda weird with their sizing, so I wanted to see if some of you could potentially help me out here.
In your experience, do you recommend I order my normal size, or should I adjust some sections (ex: adjust the back/sleeve length)? I want it to look screen accurate, but at the same time, also want to wear it as an everyday jacket. At the end of the day, I just really don't want another long & baggy leather jacket, so any advice/tips you can provide would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

-Avery
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Leather - Legacy Last Crusade Jacket

Post by tomek9210 »

I think that 27 inch back would be at least two inches too long for you if you are 5'11".
Sempre Avanti
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sempre Avanti »

Hey Avery,

I’m 5’10, 175 pounds and wear a size 46 regular. My typical measurements are a 24 inch sleeve and 26 inch back length.

This has been what I call “the sweet spot” of measurements for me in regards to Wested’s Last Crusade jackets. I’ve had at least ten of them over the years and currently have 3 at the moment.

My best fit with Wested came when I took the exact measurements they asked for, and provided measurements where I actually wanted to see the jacket fall… meaning if I wanted the sleeves to rest right above my knuckles, that’s the measurement I gave them. Back length, the same. They have been, for the most part accurate in my experience.

My advice is to do the same.

That’s the trick with these jackets… getting your best measurements, where you want the sleeve length and back length to rest, what looks best on you.

Hope this helps!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Im 6'2'' and wear a 44 with 27 inch backlenght. :TOH:

Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aveo133 »

tomek9210 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 am I think that 27 inch back would be at least two inches too long for you if you are 5'11".
Thanks for the suggestion! Really appreciate it. So, would you recommend a back size of about 25 or 26 then?
Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aveo133 »

Thanks for the reference photos. Is that the Wested Legacy? Your jacket fits you great! Also, fantastic job on the weathering! Looks like it came right out of the movie.
Am I correct to assume with the 27 back, the jacket sits just below your beltline (AKA the "ideal spot")? It looks like it, but can't really tell for certain. I'm wondering, given my height at 5 FT, 10 IN, if I should go for a 26 back, maybe? 27 will probably be too long for me. What do you think?
Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aveo133 »

Sempre Avanti wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 pm Hey Avery,

I’m 5’10, 175 pounds and wear a size 46 regular. My typical measurements are a 24 inch sleeve and 26 inch back length.

This has been what I call “the sweet spot” of measurements for me in regards to Wested’s Last Crusade jackets. I’ve had at least ten of them over the years and currently have 3 at the moment.

My best fit with Wested came when I took the exact measurements they asked for, and provided measurements where I actually wanted to see the jacket fall… meaning if I wanted the sleeves to rest right above my knuckles, that’s the measurement I gave them. Back length, the same. They have been, for the most part accurate in my experience.

My advice is to do the same.

That’s the trick with these jackets… getting your best measurements, where you want the sleeve length and back length to rest, what looks best on you.

Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks for the lengthy reply! For me, I want it to sit right at, or slightly below my beltline. However, I don't know if that will be too short, or not. Where does your sit on you? You're almost the same size as me, except I'm just over 200 LBS.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Aveo133 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:08 pm
tomek9210 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 am I think that 27 inch back would be at least two inches too long for you if you are 5'11".
Thanks for the suggestion! Really appreciate it. So, would you recommend a back size of about 25 or 26 then?
Yes, probably 25 inch would work for your height. Maybe 25.5.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

Don’t wish to confuse the issue any further , but are you aware the LC jacket pattern differs from the raiders pattern in that the armhole placement is lower on the torso. I have the Wested legacy ,a great jacket , until you zip it up and try to raise your arms - you get that ‘bat wing’ or ‘flying squirrel’ look. Not an issue if you wear it unzipped but it bugged me. I am sure other more knowledgeable members can advise you better on this. Good luck in your jacket quest.
Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aveo133 »

donovan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:14 am Don’t wish to confuse the issue any further , but are you aware the LC jacket pattern differs from the raiders pattern in that the armhole placement is lower on the torso. I have the Wested legacy ,a great jacket , until you zip it up and try to raise your arms - you get that ‘bat wing’ or ‘flying squirrel’ look. Not an issue if you wear it unzipped but it bugged me. I am sure other more knowledgeable members can advise you better on this. Good luck in your jacket quest.
Thanks for the tip! I was aware there were some differences, but didn't know it was related to the armhole placement. Does that mean the sleeves would be longer/shorter, depending on where I measure it? Perhaps I could request gussets to be added to the jacket when I order it, so that way it might help with that a little bit. That said, I seldom zip my jackets up, unless it's freezing cold out. In that case, I just retire my leather jacket until the spring. In your humble opinion, do you like the LC Legacy jacket, or do you prefer another cut, like the Temple? Once again, thanks.
Aveo133
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aveo133 »

tomek9210 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:44 am
Aveo133 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:08 pm
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

Yes, probably 25 inch would work for your height. Maybe 25.5.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

Each to their own and obviously it depends on what ‘look’ you’re going for - but if you’re going to wear it as an everyday jacket I personally favour the raiders pattern. The higher armhole placement enables you to have more freedom of movement in your arms when the jacket is zipped up.In my experience when you zip up the Last crusade jacket and raise your arms you get that ‘batwing’ effect and the jacket rides up your torso. Again this is only my experience,other members may not have this problem. Gussets may be a solution to this . I love the LC jacket but for me the raiders is more comfortable. The temple is another option it ,like the raiders, has the armholes placed higher but is a more ‘fitted’ style jacket. Hope this helps.
lankywookiee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lankywookiee »

Great work Holt, the fit looks perfect!
I’m building up to ordering my third attempt at getting the size right… first one I ordered was too long, second too short! ](*,)
At least I’ve got spares to practice the ageing on I guess, hopefully I get it looking as good as yours once I’m done!
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

donovan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:09 am Each to their own and obviously it depends on what ‘look’ you’re going for - but if you’re going to wear it as an everyday jacket I personally favour the raiders pattern. The higher armhole placement enables you to have more freedom of movement in your arms when the jacket is zipped up.In my experience when you zip up the Last crusade jacket and raise your arms you get that ‘batwing’ effect and the jacket rides up your torso. Again this is only my experience,other members may not have this problem. Gussets may be a solution to this . I love the LC jacket but for me the raiders is more comfortable. The temple is another option it ,like the raiders, has the armholes placed higher but is a more ‘fitted’ style jacket. Hope this helps.
I can agree with you on the LC fit. Zipped up even 1/3rd of the way, it was pretty restrictive for me. Maybe I'll have to get a TOD jacket some time.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

Prodigal Son - the temple is a good option for an everyday jacket , maybe go up a size as it’s a more fitted style. Harrison Ford may have experienced the same issue with the Last Crusade jacket during filming as it’s rarely seen zipped up ( I think it’s only seen zipped during the airship/bi-plane scene) . :TOH:
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

donovan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:13 am Prodigal Son - the temple is a good option for an everyday jacket , maybe go up a size as it’s a more fitted style. Harrison Ford may have experienced the same issue with the Last Crusade jacket during filming as it’s rarely seen zipped up ( I think it’s only seen zipped during the airship/bi-plane scene) . :TOH:
What are the sleeves like? Are they tighter than the Raiders off-the-rack jacket? I just looked at the size charts for the ToD and Raiders. For a 44, it's only 1" less on the pit-to-pit. Is the ToD slimmer at the bottom? What I mean to ask, is the torso on the ToD tapered (whereas the Raiders is just square)? What I mean, is does it get narrower (slimmer) toward the bottom than it is at the pit-to-pit area?
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

I have an ‘off the rack’ Temple and it is a more slimmer fit jacket compared to the raiders . The Temple sleeves are narrower and although the torso is slimmer mine doesn’t taper towards the waist. I have it in lambskin and generally only wear it during the summer months (unzipped - like in the film) as being a slimmer fit doesn’t allow for any layering in colder weather but as it’s only worn in hotter temperatures this isn’t a problem - personally with its chunky zipper I think it looks better unzipped anyway. Hope this helps.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

donovan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:32 pm I have an ‘off the rack’ Temple and it is a more slimmer fit jacket compared to the raiders . The Temple sleeves are narrower and although the torso is slimmer mine doesn’t taper towards the waist. I have it in lambskin and generally only wear it during the summer months (unzipped - like in the film) as being a slimmer fit doesn’t allow for any layering in colder weather but as it’s only worn in hotter temperatures this isn’t a problem - personally with its chunky zipper I think it looks better unzipped anyway. Hope this helps.
That does help. Thank you.
Darthbauer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Darthbauer »

It’s wild that Holt is an Inch taller than me and rocks a back length of 27 but if I’m measuring correctly, I need a 29. I measured myself multiple times and also measured another jacket that fits me perfectly the way I’d like my Indy jacket to fit and it’s 29 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Darthbauer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 pm It’s wild that Holt is an Inch taller than me and rocks a back length of 27 but if I’m measuring correctly, I need a 29. I measured myself multiple times and also measured another jacket that fits me perfectly the way I’d like my Indy jacket to fit and it’s 29 inches.
I am six two and wear a back length of 26 inches. I do think some people like their Indy jackets long. 29 inches would be close to a 3/4 length coat for me.
Darthbauer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Darthbauer »

CM wrote:
Darthbauer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 pm It’s wild that Holt is an Inch taller than me and rocks a back length of 27 but if I’m measuring correctly, I need a 29. I measured myself multiple times and also measured another jacket that fits me perfectly the way I’d like my Indy jacket to fit and it’s 29 inches.
I am six two and wear a back length of 26 inches. I do think some people like their Indy jackets long. 29 inches would be close to a 3/4 length coat for me.
I think I’m just a freak with a long torso and long arms. I got a jacket with a 24 inch back and it’s well above my waist and looks like a brown leather waiter’s jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lankywookiee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by lankywookiee »

Finally reordered a slightly longer jacket and finally got the sizing just right, only disappointment is that I left it too long to get the Fiocchi studs.

I noticed they weren’t on the jacket and reached out to Wested and they’ve run out :(
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I think this is a good image for measuring yourself if you want it to fit like the movie...

https://ibb.co/K6MkRPQ