Indy's flash light. New Gear.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

SixfootJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Indy's flash light. New Gear.

Post by SixfootJedi »

This looks like a great torch at a great price. Has anyone who has purchased one of these had a go at the paint job? I'm wondering if you get any paint run down the grooves or if there is a way to minimise this? Is taping and then a spray can the best approach??

Cheers
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I have painted five of these flashlights and the grooves are a problem. I did use the spray paint and tape method. I found if you spray paint the flashlight standing in a vertical position you will get runs because of the grooves. It is best to paint in a horizonal position and rotate it as you spray. Hope this helps.

Gailen
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

One more thing. Don't try and paint it all at once. Put a light coat of paint on and wait 10 minutes and then finish it. If you try and do it all at once chances are you'll get runs. I speak through experience.

Gailen
SixfootJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SixfootJedi »

Thanks Gailen, it sounds like a delicate operation not to be rushed!
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

yes, I had to do two over because I rushed it and got runs. The worst part is the masking tape job.

Gailen
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Indy is such a trendsetter

Post by InexorableTash »

InexorableTash wrote:http://www.restorationhardware.com/cata ... rod1730080

As near as I can tell, the Small size is identical to the style identified in this thread as the basis for the prop, but fitted for 3 LEDs.
It looks like these have vanished from the Restoration Hardware site, just as I was wanting to pick up a second one.

Has anyone found them from other vendors, or still have the packaging to see who RH sourced them from?
SixfootJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SixfootJedi »

Hi
My packaging details are: United Pacific CF013 Flashlight - http://www.uapac.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Chrome Vintage Flashlight.
Good luck in the hunt!
Cheers
SixFootJedi
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

I too wish I had bought a couple extra LED flashlights from restoration hardware; at least I got one.
Here is the incandescent version at the cheapest price I've found:

http://macsautoparts.com/search.asp?sb= ... ht&x=0&y=0
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

FYI, I've gotten in touch with someone from United Pacific Industries. They still manufacture the LED flashlight, even though Restoration Hardware is no longer a distributor.

The challenge is that they're stuck in the 20th Century - they don't do direct sales. The closest retailer they could refer me to given my location in San Francisco is a hot rod garage east of Los Angeles, also stuck in the 20th Century. I've fired off an email to see if they have them in stock.

For reference, it appears that the flashlights are manufactured/marketed as vintage car accessories. That may help narrow down the search.
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Restoration Hardware didn't offer the metal torches this year, unfortunately, but here's a retro style flashlight available at Target right now.
It's not as nice as my RH one and it has a weird green plastic ring around the lens. I didn't fiddle around with it long enough to see if the plastic comes off since I was in the middle of the store. I'm sure the price will be marked down after Christmas.
:)
tgalahad
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by tgalahad »

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/5363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Found this one through the above link, pretty close without the paint.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

I bought a close enough vintage Eveready on eBay for about $20 and replaced the internals with one from an old mag light with a halogen bulb. Works great and is a perfect fit in my Indy bag.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Rayovac has released a "close enough" LED vintage flashlight for their 100th anniversary. I picked one up at my local Walmart for 5 bucks, and I'm pretty happy with it. The flashlight isn't as heavy-duty as my grandpa's ol' Rayovac Sportsman, but it sure is brighter! If all goes well, I'll be taking a camping trip next weekend and maybe I can test the flashlight's durability. I couldn't find much info about it, just this page on a flashlight forum.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/29311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Found these on Amazon.... they're LED and not the right paint colours but still pretty cool. Once they come in I'll see if they're worth the 9 bucks......

http://www.amazon.com/The-Swiss-Colony- ... flashlight
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Just am update - the torches I ordered off Amazon are amazing. LED and ran of D batteries, and no paint design so really not Film accurate... but great looking period pieces.

You receive one 12' one and a 6' one for 9 bucks. I plan to keep the small one in my Mrk VII and the large one in my German rucksack.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Any tips as to which type of paint to use?

Kyle
lostinperiphery
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lostinperiphery »

I recently acquired a pair of vintage flashlights, one of which is too small to be Indy’s light (but otherwise relatively looks the part), but the other looks like a very close match to the screenshots. It lacks the faceted bezel that the reproduction has, but I honestly have a hard time telling if the screenshots show a faceted bezel, or smooth? What do you guys think? Could The prop department have used a vintage light and not a reproduction?

The larger of these two is made by “tiger head brand”, and the smaller is “555”. I know little about either of these, but snagged them because of their similarity to the prop.

Planning to paint them, just haven’t gotten around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

Just adding another wrinkle to the Flashlight conspiracy theories out there... :Plymouth:

I was catching up on the Amazon series "The Man in the High Castle" and in the final episode of Season 2 the Smith family is having an emotional discussion in the family living room. There is camping equipment scattered about by Smith Jr. for an upcoming expedition, and right on the coffee table front and center is a very familiar looking flashlight, with a black paint job very much like the one you guys are trying to replicate... I wonder if it is a prop that has been recycled by the film industry, or if there is still a yet to be discovered source for this illusive design of flashlight that prop departments know of that we do not?
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

I purchased a Rose Brand (Hong Kong) flashlight exactly like this one off of ebay. I think it is VERY close to being screen accurate IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Workin ... :rk:2:pf:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

After I received the flashlight, I ordered an LED bulb for it off of Amazon. Works great! Here are the pictures of it:
Attachments
rose3.jpg
rose2.jpg
rose1.jpg
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Was the brand and model of flashlight ever confirmed? I just scanned through the 4 pages and there were flashlights all over the place.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

SixfootJedi wrote:Hi
My packaging details are: United Pacific CF013 Flashlight - http://www.uapac.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Chrome Vintage Flashlight.
Good luck in the hunt!
Cheers
SixFootJedi
Should that number be C5013? C5013 is coming up all over the place or was CF013 a special model no longer made?

What LED kit did https://rh.com/catalog/product/product. ... yId=search put into this light?

https://upcarparts.com/chrome-vintage-style-flashlight
SixfootJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SixfootJedi »

Hi lantzn
I googled C5013 and it looks like mine. Maybe my typo from 2012!
Here’s what mine looks like painted. I replaced the normal bulb with an led bulb - no special kit just a simple bulb replacement.
Cheers

SixfootJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SixfootJedi »

InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

lantzn wrote: What LED kit did https://rh.com/catalog/product/product. ... yId=search put into this light?
They were manufactured to take LEDs/AA batteries, RH didn't modify them. I bought several different lengths, as they were quite handy back in the days before phones were more convenient, always-present flashlights. I don't think the manufacturer makes them any more, alas.
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

Not even close to SA, but I ran across these similarly retro-styled flashlights at my motorcycle shop. They are gorgeous and very bright.

https://www.nebotools.com/p/The-Classic/636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I went ahead with the Parrot model off eBay.
Attachments
3AAEA101-24C5-422B-96D2-38C85B155770.jpeg
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

SixfootJedi wrote:Hi lantzn
I googled C5013 and it looks like mine. Maybe my typo from 2012!
Here’s what mine looks like painted. I replaced the normal bulb with an led bulb - no special kit just a simple bulb replacement.
Cheers
United Pacific finally started selling online.
https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-C ... B07BKR5LPZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

What about this model from the 80s?
I’ve bought a couple Kaida brand flashlights from different eras. My later model has “softer” letters on the end cap where my 80s model has very distinct letters with sharp edges. The threads for the end cap also are much more prominent from the outside making far more noticeable lines.
This looks very close to the film version.
Attachments
8B59C92C-B203-426C-AF25-0F876E4E1B9B.jpeg
8B59C92C-B203-426C-AF25-0F876E4E1B9B.jpeg (13.93 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
313401ED-333A-4419-ADFA-4681C06820C2.png
313401ED-333A-4419-ADFA-4681C06820C2.png (62.96 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
AEE46452-FD85-46F9-8FE9-8D346D133A5A.png
55B5A85A-851F-49B0-8739-6483EC156042.png
835DB7A7-8146-4B4E-8148-6054C5CA3D28.png
835DB7A7-8146-4B4E-8148-6054C5CA3D28.png (81.16 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
EBC92F7F-4F92-4661-AFF5-3F9716751DDF.png
EBC92F7F-4F92-4661-AFF5-3F9716751DDF.png (80.97 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Forgot to mention, that one left facing side shot is a reverse og the right. The left has some damage, which I rather like, and I thought the other would look better when comparing. Here’s the real images.
Attachments
E3DB7126-E42B-433C-880F-5404AA7572C4.png
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

At the risk of necro posting, I just picked up this close enough CS flashlight to use while exploring the Widow Jane mine next weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VR ... UTF8&psc=1
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

That's not just close enough, it's the same one. Just have to paint it. I spotted those back in 2020, guess I only posted it on the RPF.
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

So... what about the lantern-type in DoD in the cave?
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

LNBright wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:22 am So... what about the lantern-type in DoD in the cave?
Different thread

https://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=72852

(Eveready Space Beam)
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Lightning wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:42 pm That's not just close enough, it's the same one. Just have to paint it. I spotted those back in 2020, guess I only posted it on the RPF.
Really? This is the screen used flashlight? That's so cool! How'd you figure that out?

Do you know of any good tutorials for painting these? I see that folks are using tape and spray paint, but I'd be interested to know the width of the tape people used for the different stripes as well as any tips for spacing the stripes out nicely along the flashlight.

Thanks!
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

mr_alex wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:31 am
Lightning wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:42 pm That's not just close enough, it's the same one. Just have to paint it. I spotted those back in 2020, guess I only posted it on the RPF.
Really? This is the screen used flashlight? That's so cool! How'd you figure that out?

Do you know of any good tutorials for painting these? I see that folks are using tape and spray paint, but I'd be interested to know the width of the tape people used for the different stripes as well as any tips for spacing the stripes out nicely along the flashlight.

Thanks!
I just now spotted lantzn's post from 2020, with the now dead amazon link, that I had forgotten I'd read. So he posted about it here first,then I relayed to the RPF. Anyway, some Chinese factory has been churning these out for a couple decades to sell as retro flashlights, the model number changes periodically. For stripes your best bet is just eyeballing it from screencaps, I'd err on narrower rather than wider. The real trick is getting the tape in all the grooves, just really tedious.
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

Lightning wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:10 am
LNBright wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:22 am So... what about the lantern-type in DoD in the cave?
Different thread

https://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=72852

(Eveready Space Beam)

Thanks!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Lightning wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:51 pm
mr_alex wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:31 am

Thanks!
I just now spotted lantzn's post from 2020, with the now dead amazon link, that I had forgotten I'd read. So he posted about it here first,then I relayed to the RPF. Anyway, some Chinese factory has been churning these out for a couple decades to sell as retro flashlights, the model number changes periodically. For stripes your best bet is just eyeballing it from screencaps, I'd err on narrower rather than wider. The real trick is getting the tape in all the grooves, just really tedious.
The Amazon link I posted was the correct reproduction but with the old style bulb. The newer ink posted above is their newer version with an LED bulb, same flashlight different bulbs.

Here is my photo library on the flashlight with some history. Each photo has some text info.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 917&type=3