Movie Theater Carry

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Movie Theater Carry

Post by IndianaJustin »

Apologies in advance if this is answered already, I just couldn't find it.

As Indy V approaches I'm considering going in full gear (which would be a first for me) and wondered about the whip. Can it be carried in public, say, at the movie theater? It's hard to track down online but it seems as if it's legal to carry, in the US. Does anyone have experience with this? I was going to leave it home but if I could take it I'd like to.... :-k
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: Movie Theater Carry

Post by Indiana Croft »

I asked the manager of the theatre I’m going and I told I’d be geared up, all he said was no masks.
Told him not to worry, as Indy doesn’t wear one.

I wore mine when I went to KOTCS, and I had holster to, empty, but it was there.

So I’d wear it and worry about it only if they have an issue, just don’t uncoil it.
You can call the theater and as for the manager and ask.

Croft :mrgreen:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

It's always good to call ahead and ask but a bullwhip is not usually a problem as it's not really considered a weapon in many if not all circles.

It's always common sense of course, not to just start cracking it around folks.

Personally, I would not however wear the holster, empty or not. Not in this day and age. :TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Lol, I think you not carrying a firearm is a great "in" for carrying a bullwhip. Similar to the old trick of starting with a ridiculous request first to soften up the other party to agree to what you wanted all along! ;)

Honestly, in their eyes, I think they probably reason that a movie nerd that goes all in is probably not the same type that would start a fight... and even if they do, ...with a bullwhip? Publicity for days!!! Win-Win for them! :D
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Well, I called the theater. Twice, on 2 different days. Got 2 shoot from the hip responses. No bullwhip. A little bummed as I see others fully decked out but I'll enjoy my experience. :(
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I did think it was quite funny to see all the Indy fans at the premiere in central London, all wearing bullwhips on their belt, which I would definitely class as an offensive weapon! :D
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

The bullwhip is a tool first and foremost. I don't know of anyone that uses it as a weapon aside from fictional characters like Zorro or Indiana Jones. Unless you're Anthony Delongis, it has very little value as an actual weapon to the normal joe who would easily be tackled and/or shot when using it. You need too much room to swing it and crack it. Being in a crowded space or surrounded by people basically neuters the ability of the thing.

I'm sure there's a "florida man" article out there where it's been used and I'm sure that person didn't end up well but other than that I don't see why anyone would care. As mentioned above, the odds of an Indy fan, dressing up in full gear going nuts and deciding to whip folks would be incredibly rare.

My guess is the No's that were given were 18 year old part time kids that just say no to make sure they save themselves a hassle. I know when I worked in customer service I didn't get paid enough to deal with the crazies..... not that we're crazy or anything.... :-k :lol:
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

backstagejack wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:35 am The bullwhip is a tool first and foremost.
I guess you could say a baseball bat is sports equipment too :lol:
They can hurt people and I wouldn't wear one on the street as the police may not look kindly on it, but if you're dressed as Indy I think they'd probably understand :)
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

backstagejack wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:35 am The bullwhip is a tool first and foremost. I don't know of anyone that uses it as a weapon aside from fictional characters like Zorro or Indiana Jones. Unless you're Anthony Delongis, it has very little value as an actual weapon to the normal joe who would easily be tackled and/or shot when using it. You need too much room to swing it and crack it. Being in a crowded space or surrounded by people basically neuters the ability of the thing.

I'm sure there's a "florida man" article out there where it's been used and I'm sure that person didn't end up well but other than that I don't see why anyone would care. As mentioned above, the odds of an Indy fan, dressing up in full gear going nuts and deciding to whip folks would be incredibly rare.

My guess is the No's that were given were 18 year old part time kids that just say no to make sure they save themselves a hassle. I know when I worked in customer service I didn't get paid enough to deal with the crazies..... not that we're crazy or anything.... :-k :lol:
I agree that it was probably some young person who is erring on the side of caution and who didn’t want to bother making sure #-o
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I don’t think people will care if you just show up with it in costume. I had 3 of my Indy friends show up with them and no one batted an eye. I’m disappointed that I decided to leave mine in the car.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

No one had any problems when went in full gear.
Made them laugh when I asked for three tickets for Fast X :rolling:

Croft :mrgreen:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

My guess is the vast majority of movie theater staff wouldn't know the difference between a Disney souvenir whip and a David Morgan. I'd be more worried about getting movie snack schmutz on my gear. Have you ever put those seats under a flashlight? :-0
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Our local Alamo Drafthouse Cinema had no problem last year with my Classic Bullwhips 8 ft cowhide last year during the Father’s Day showing of LC. Nothing but compliments last night at Dial of Destiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rc325
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rc325 »

Forgiveness rather than permission on this.

Firearms/Holster... Context is everything on stuff like this but I'd air on the side of treating it the same way I would a real firearm (which is that its better concealed) when in public places.

When you are walking around dressed like Indy (or in full kilt and Scottish garb with bagpipes) my feeling is that 99% of people will just give you an odd look if they don't appreciate it and a compliment if they do.

rc325
indianajohn007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianajohn007 »

I luckily didn’t have any trouble with the bullwhip.