Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by SFGiant »

marker2037 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:59 pm I wouldn't go with the LC leather for Raiders. It's not the right leather for that look. It's a great leather, just not great for Raiders if you want accuracy.

Yeah I agree, too matte I think? I will get a LC jacket next year and weather it. What I really want right now is a Raiders/ToD jacket (that can fill in as a LC/5 jacket too), that is medium brown or lighter than legacy raiders lamb, with some character but still new condition. Not sure I want to artificially weather it but would be fine with natural weathering. Would the basic default brown lambskin work?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

SFGiant wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:18 am
marker2037 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:59 pm I wouldn't go with the LC leather for Raiders. It's not the right leather for that look. It's a great leather, just not great for Raiders if you want accuracy.

Yeah I agree, too matte I think? I will get a LC jacket next year and weather it. What I really want right now is a Raiders/ToD jacket (that can fill in as a LC/5 jacket too), that is medium brown or lighter than legacy raiders lamb, with some character but still new condition. Not sure I want to artificially weather it but would be fine with natural weathering. Would the basic default brown lambskin work?
Way too matte/dusty and it doesn't crease the same as good Raiders leathers need to. I can't speak for any other leathers than what I have from Wested myself which is the washed lamb for Raiders Hero and the Legacy for LC, but I think if you want a lighter brown than the Legacy and washed lamb then I think Authentic Brown is the way to go. From my observations it's usually slightly lighter in color.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

To everyone who helped me on my questions THANK YOU. I AM going to get a Legacy Raiders, but now I’m thinking about getting a standard Raiders first (I’ll explain more soon). It was one of those things where I refused to consider it until I hypothetically thought about it and all of a sudden I’m way more excited about it. I also feel like if I plan on losing 60+ pounds it might be worth it to hold off just a little bit and see where my muscles and frame settle.

My only concern is that Wested said they only have a limited supply of those two prong buckles. So I kind of have fomo. Will the two prong buckles really be extinct soon? Anyone have another source for those?

Also does anyone know what the 100% screen accurate measurements for what the Last Crusade jacket was?
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

SFGiant wrote:To everyone who helped me on my questions THANK YOU. I AM going to get a Legacy Raiders, but now I’m thinking about getting a standard Raiders first (I’ll explain more soon). It was one of those things where I refused to consider it until I hypothetically thought about it and all of a sudden I’m way more excited about it. I also feel like if I plan on losing 60+ pounds it might be worth it to hold off just a little bit and see where my muscles and frame settle.

My only concern is that Wested said they only have a limited supply of those two prong buckles. So I kind of have fomo. Will the two prong buckles really be extinct soon? Anyone have another source for those?

Also does anyone know what the 100% screen accurate measurements for what the Last Crusade jacket was?
If anyone would, it would be Diego from Steele and Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:29 pm

The other piece of advice I would have is to truly consider getting a standard Wested Raiders jacket first instead of the Hero. It's more easy to dial in good measurements since it's made to fit more like a normal jacket, especially if your size is not the usual OTR sizing and you always have trouble getting things that fit such as being a size large chest but small arms, etc. Then you can go from there. Maybe you'll love it and you'll be satiated, or maybe it can be a beater jacket, or maybe once you've gotten a good idea of your measurements in a standard you'll be better able to get a Hero since in my experience the measurement adjustment from the standard to the Hero is fairly straightforward and you can sell it on ebay and put it toward a Hero. Ultimately the thing about the Indy jacket is that it kind of takes experience to find what you're truly looking for. It's kind of like you don't really know until you know.
LOL turns out that’s EXACTLY what I ended up ordering! I am just really stubborn and hard headed and it takes a bit of my self conscience nagging at me before I consider other options. Long story short I realized the standard is what I had wanted for the longest time and was had just been swayed by the need for the new screen accurate Legacy jacket. But it would have just been a costume jacket with long length and short arms so it kind of defeated the purpose. I really did want an everyday everything jacket. I wanted an Indy jacket that represented all the movies not just the one. But I will still get the legacy some day, and you’re right having the standard will help me decide sizing on the Legacy plus it frees me to get it shorter than I would for an everyday jacket.

I’m thinking my next jacket might be the Legacy Last Crusade though it looks amazingly accurate. Especially after weathering.

Again still have fomo about the buckles but I’m sure in a year or so they’ll be available somewhere I hope.

They were also out of stock of gas mask bags, I ordered their leather version which is something I wanted anyway. Should be fun to use day to day. Still need a costume bag though.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Does the Legacy included a Wested/dedication patch somewhere on the jacket? I might have to request that not be placed to maintain screen accuracy..not sure.

If I were to buy a Legacy Raiders meant to be a collectible, an exact replica, what would you guess for the measurements to be close enough to how the jacket was when first picked up by Debra N from Wested? Before weathering, shrinkage etc?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

No, the Legacy jackets don't have a dedication patch.

But if you want as close to an exact replica of the actual jacket, talk to Diego at S&J. They've had access to some of the remaining jackets and he knows the dimensions and would be able to replicate one better than anyone.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

My legacy raiders has a Wested label hidden in the inside pocket.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Are the straps still too long on these (both Raiders and Last Crusade) jackets? I saw some pics on the Hero thread and they were really too long. Should they still be requested to be shortened?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

No they're not long any more.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I’m thinking about getting the Legacy but in shrunken lamb. I really just want a chocolate brown looking jacket. Would it be silly to ask for it with a brass zipper?

My standard Raiders in a 44 fits well. It fits like a tailored jacket, trim fit. Like if it’s zipped up it feels like a slight slim fit (because I’m fat). Reaching the inside pockets isn’t the easiest to do. But I will lose a lot of weight in the near future (I have to for health reasons). Should I order the Legacy in a 44?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

The Legacy leather is very dark…

The shrunken lamb I’ve had had the odd characteristic of not really wrinkling, and it has the reputation for being a bit more fragile (softer and tear-able) than other leathers. It is definitely browner.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Tibor wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:25 pm The Legacy leather is very dark…

Yeah. I like it because it looks like the movie in some scenes, but for now I really want a medium chocolate brown and their shrunken seems to be the only one with that. On yours does it look truly brown or does it look gray?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well, I sold this back in 2021, but it wasn’t really gray. It is really dark brown, almost black but I didn't get gray vibes. The lining is dark brown, and the contrast is pretty significant.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

xmasters wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:04 am No they're not long any more.
I have to order the Hero version to get SL. So I’m wondering what is the exact right length of side straps to request?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

You don't. The straps are shorter on all the jackets now.

I see Wested have just put their prices up. Hero in Shrunken is now £265 before shipping.

Their off the rack jackets are £225 now. Custom Indy jackets start at £245 before adding different leathers or extras (having to pay £10 extra for gussets when they should be on a Raiders jacket by default is a rip off). Honestly this makes it hard to reccomend any of their jackets now beside the legacy range which are still £245 each.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

They're still cheaper than any other decent Indy jacket maker though aren't they? I can't blame them for putting their prices up in the current climate.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

If you order a legacy jacket yes, but If you wanted a custom Raiders jacket (non Hero fit) in Shrunken lamb it's gonna cost £285 (if you also select gussets and x-box stitch) So that's £40 more than a legacy jacket, and oddly £20 more than a hero in shrunken lamb. At that point I would sooner put the £285 toward an S&J or BK jacket personally.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wow, they certainly did crank up prices this week. The OTR jackets had been £175-185 for a *long* time, then £195 this year, then £205 a month or two ago, and now they just added another 10% and they're £225. Not surprising since they have to source so much internationally and the GBP doesn't exactly buy what it used to. The only thing keeping them in the market is the concurrent strength of the USD/EUR mirroring sterling's depreciation making the relative price for Americans and Europeans etc roughly what it was like a year ago.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

TBH with the way the £ has tanked I don't blame them.

Buying from overseas sellers will be equally more expensive because of the poor exchange rate, it's a lose-lose if you are a £ customer.
xmasters wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:13 am You don't. The straps are shorter on all the jackets now.

I see Wested have just put their prices up. Hero in Shrunken is now £265 before shipping.

Their off the rack jackets are £225 now. Custom Indy jackets start at £245 before adding different leathers or extras (having to pay £10 extra for gussets when they should be on a Raiders jacket by default is a rip off). Honestly this makes it hard to reccomend any of their jackets now beside the legacy range which are still £245 each.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Anticipating this sort of global situation I put an order in for a Relic Hunter in April.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Hi all,

I’m looking for some opinions. I just received my Wested legacy and I’m surprised at how it fits. Not sure if I’m going to keep this or not. Apologies for the basement shots in advance.

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Yeah kinda looks long. What are your measurements you ordered? What are your measurements for other jackets?
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

SFGiant wrote:Yeah kinda looks long. What are your measurements you ordered? What are your measurements for other jackets?
I thought it was too short. Back was 24” and sleeves were 26.5”. Size 40.

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That looks fine to me. Good length. Pretty much how it looks on Ford at the start of the movie as he's going inside the temple.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Looks fine to me. Good for everyday wear. The general rubric of going *just* past the belt and to the tops of the pockets etc. isn't necessarily for everyone.
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

xmasters wrote:That looks fine to me. Good length. Pretty much how it looks on Ford at the start of the movie as he's going inside the temple.
Thank you! Im relieved.

MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

Illinois_Jones wrote:Looks fine to me. Good for everyday wear. The general rubric of going *just* past the belt and to the tops of the pockets etc. isn't necessarily for everyone.
Much appreciated!

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

MikeMac wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:41 pm
SFGiant wrote:Yeah kinda looks long. What are your measurements you ordered? What are your measurements for other jackets?

Oh lol then you’re good. Not too short at all. How tall are you?
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

SFGiant wrote:

I’m 5’11”. I think I’m just used to longer jackets?

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

MikeMac wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:23 pm
SFGiant wrote:

I like longer jackets too but my next jacket will be more close to Indy’s length. I was thinking 24” but maybe that’s too long as I’m 5’6.

Does it feel short because the back flap isn’t connected to the front ?
MikeMac
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MikeMac »

SFGiant wrote:
MikeMac wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:23 pm
SFGiant wrote:

I like longer jackets too but my next jacket will be more close to Indy’s length. I was thinking 24” but maybe that’s too long as I’m 5’6.

Does it feel short because the back flap isn’t connected to the front ?
That could be it. It almost feels as though nothing is there. I can PM you with more details if you want.

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Reading through all the threads it seems as if to the original screen used jacket was measured by Tony Nowak at 23 inches in the back. Is there no possibility that it was originally 23 1/2 or even 24 and it shrunk over the years and with water exposure?
Last edited by SFGiant on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes it's quite possible. All the jackets I have typically lose at least half an inch from wear. Nowak measured a jacket that was 28 years old.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I’m watching Raiders right now and the (possibly) 24” seemed pretty short on him. So I’m hoping that means it won’t look too long on me.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wested Legacy series announced

Post by Thunderspy »

xmasters wrote:If you order a legacy jacket yes, but If you wanted a custom Raiders jacket (non Hero fit) in Shrunken lamb it's gonna cost £285 (if you also select gussets and x-box stitch) So that's £40 more than a legacy jacket, and oddly £20 more than a hero in shrunken lamb. At that point I would sooner put the £285 toward an S&J or BK jacket personally.
Well that’s fair enough, but you’d still only just be over halfway to the cost of one of those, so they’re still the cheapest.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

I'm looking at Aeros and they're very expensive, but I think the difference is they use high quality brand name horsehides. It seems to me Wested might source whatever leather is available and don't concern themselves with particular brands of leather etc, but at the pricepoint they are very very nice.

Anyway to anyone with a Legacy Raiders (or Temple if it's the same exact leather) - how shiny and soft (both smooth to the touch and non-stiff when moving it around in your fingers) is the leather when first new? I am starting to really feel like Wested's Authentic brown lambskin is perfect except for the gray undertone. I wouldn't really want to sacrifice the shiny or softness.
indyrex
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by indyrex »

SFGiant wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:59 am I'm looking at Aeros and they're very expensive, but I think the difference is they use high quality brand name horsehides. It seems to me Wested might source whatever leather is available and don't concern themselves with particular brands of leather etc, but at the pricepoint they are very very nice.

Anyway to anyone with a Legacy Raiders (or Temple if it's the same exact leather) - how shiny and soft (both smooth to the touch and non-stiff when moving it around in your fingers) is the leather when first new? I am starting to really feel like Wested's Authentic brown lambskin is perfect except for the gray undertone. I wouldn't really want to sacrifice the shiny or softness.
Since I snagged the Legacy Raiders and LC last month when the pound tanked and I've got a few Wested jackets and I took a picture for comparison, I figured I'd chime in.

From "dullest" to "shiniest"

https://imgur.com/a/Otj5YYn

I'd say the Legacy Raiders and LC are at a mid-point in terms of "shine" when new.

The B3 and distressed hide standard LC are a very dull matte; the Hero LC I distressed is now a dull dark-chocolate, but prior to distressing it had a notable shine to it the finish that looked like a dark chocolate version of the shiny Layer Cake jacket - but grainier. (It also made that "new leather" sound for years before distressing).

In terms of stiffness, the standard LC is relatively stiff - it's 3+ years old, had been my daily driver for most of it and it has virtually no wrinkles; the Legacy LC feels almost as stiff but it's soft enough to wrinkle - the Legacy Raiders is even softer and "thinner" leather that feels easier to wear and wrinkle. The B3 and Layer Cake jackets aren't stiff at all.

In terms of grain/smoothness? The legacy jackets are also both at a mid-point for grain and smoothness. You can see and feel the texture, but compared to the B3 and pre-distressed hide? The grain is subtle. At the far end of that is the Layer Cake jacket which feels somewhat "high-fashion" so it's extremely subtle.

Hope that helps!
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Thank you for the pictures!!

I am wondering if authentic brown would be good and just touched up with leather dye. I am always confused.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

So I have a question.
I have a Hero (non-legacy that fits pretty well, but would love a little more room in the chest area.
Regarding sleeve length, is this from the jacket shoulder seam to cuff, or your shoulder to cuff length.

So I can take measurements off my Hero and use them, but the sleeve length has always been the tricky part.
Don't want them to short.
Ya, I need another jacket like a hole in the head, but I'd probably sell another jacket I have to help fund it.

Croft :mrgreen:
MadCardigan
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by MadCardigan »

Just bit the bullet on a Legacy Raiders Hero!
Sleeves were tricky, I tried measuring some other jackets I had for reference and they were surprisingly wildly different. I ended up ordering a size 40, all cotton lining, 23.5” back, 25” sleeves, 2-prongs, no x-stitching, no extra inside pocket.

Any advice on double checking my sizing? Does the above seem to be screen accurate for Raiders?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

SFGiant wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:12 am Reading through all the threads it seems as if to the original screen used jacket was measured by Tony Nowak at 23 inches in the back. Is there no possibility that it was originally 23 1/2 or even 24 and it shrunk over the years and with water exposure?
I would think so. And wasn't the jacket also the one that may have gotten wet and had possible shrinkage?