Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by Indiana Croft »

These are wicked nice jackets, love how depending on the lighting what the color looks like.

But is the hat brown or grey :CR:

And speaking of S&J truck chase.

If this look like the grail jacket, well it is for me

Croft :mrgreen:
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

Indiana Croft wrote:These are wicked nice jackets, love how depending on the lighting what the color looks like.

But is the hat brown or grey :CR:

And speaking of S&J truck chase.

If this look like the grail jacket, well it is for me

Now those...are some frame-worthy photos. Nice work, Croft!

Carolina
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Croft, your jacket is superb. Been looking at your previous posts while waiting for my turn to be sized. Most spot on Indy jacket I’ve seen. Looks like you’re wearing the truck jacket to search for the golden idol in those shots. Watch out for the boulder :CR:

Will get mine with minimal distressing only though so I can let it naturally age as I wear it, same time wouldn’t want it to look brand new.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks guys, I'm going to post more in my thread.
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 15#p925415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were taken at the Flume in NH

But this is a Wested thread, my Hero doesn't see as much wear as it use to, wonder why :-k
But I'll never bid rid of it, it's the first Wested that fits and is distressing nicely.

Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Indiana Croft wrote:Thanks guys, I'm going to post more in my thread.
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 15#p925415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were taken at the Flume in NH

But this is a Wested thread, my Hero doesn't see as much wear as it use to, wonder why :-k
But I'll never bid rid of it, it's the first Wested that fits and is distressing nicely.

What are the details on that Hero Croft, if you don't mind me asking?
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

Ah! Mr Croft ,since you have posted all these beautiful pictures from Diego jackets,both temple and truck,it's become more and more difficult to me to not break my troth to be reasonnable and not order another Indy jacket and be happy with the jackets i already have (even i'm still looking for a for a Temple Nowak and a Belstaff Bison hero..). ;)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

KEN
Well, I'm not sure what spec's your looking for.
It's the Hero version, but you knew that.
Leather is authentic brown lambskin.
But it's dark brown and depending on lighting very dark brown.
Size was 40r, I'm 5'5" and about (in this pic) about 165lb, funny thing is my Truck Chase was 38, I was nervous about that, but Diego said not to worry, it was a perfect fit, guy knows his stuff.

So let me know what else you want and I'll bring into the cave a take measurement's.
I'd say the only issue is the straps, way to long, but other have noted this.

AND...................
indymassilia
I've had goat, but they are built tough and I tend to baby my jackets, even if I do hit it with water and VERY light sand paper, less is more to me, subtle.
Never had a want for a Novak or Belstaff, but the future is always in motion.

Croft :mrgreen: .
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

You covered everything! I love the colour in that photograph! It's really dark - looks great.

Ken
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Just got back from the Black Lagoon and I would like to show-off my "Hero" jacket I ordered almost a month ago! I opted for authentic lambskin, chest 42, sleeve length 24.5", and back 24". My height is about 5'11", and I think I nailed the measurements. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Indy89 that’s one nice lookin jacket, reminds me of mine from long ago.

Wear it good health.

Stay safe, Croft :mrgreen:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Very nice! Great fit. Is Wested using new buckles on the side straps, or did you supply those?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

If they are it looks like they also fixed the strap length issue.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Very nice! Great fit. Is Wested using new buckles on the side straps, or did you supply those?
I forgot to mention that I ordered the black buckles from MakeItJones in the UK.

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Ah. Good choice!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

That's about as good of a Wested as I've seen. The leather looks good, too. All of the "authentic" lambs I've seen over the years have had that almost ruddy tone to it, but that looks different and more accurate it seems.

And I HOPE they fixed the long strap issue. They got to the point that they were almost comically long the past few years.
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Texan Scott wrote:To commemorate the 30th Anniversary release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, I decided to buy a Wested Hero jacket. It was made in original dark goat with a few modifications: antique brass fittings and the ever present hidden press stud anchored firmly to the bottom of the storm flap. Could this iteration actually be the jacket that you always wanted Wested to make?

For comparison's sake, the first two images are of the Raiders dark brown lamb that was made for me around 1 1/2 year ago:

Wested dark brown lamb:

Raiders HERO (just received):

Just thought I’d update some pics on this original Hero. I bought it from Scott back in 2013 and wear it in rotation. The goat is tough but supple. Fits perfectly still!

https://imgur.com/a/fkiXOGy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Draxel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Draxel »

I have a Wested LC Hero I’m willing to part with if anyone is interested.

Size: 44 chest, 26.5 back, sleeve 26.5
In Dark Brown Novapelle

Not sure on price. Open to offers. Only tried on. Decided it was too short for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Is the Wested LC/CS more of a LC, or a CS jacket? I'm not super in the know when it comes to the details on the jackets. Like is it a combo with pick and chosen details and whatnot? Also, what skins would be the best for each of the movies?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It's more of a CS. The straps are shorter, the pockets and collar are CS, the hem is stitched, etc. In fact, IIRC, it was Wested's bid to get the movie contract that went to Tony.

You'll get varying thoughts on the leather. I'm of the opinion that their cowhides look better for LC, even though the LC film jacket was lamb. Novapelle has a dusty look that works well for LC, but the distressing will be a bit off because the undertone is more grey and not that rust color like the movie. The CS jacket was a pre-distressed cowhide, so obviously that would work best.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thank you for the concise answer, would you say there are any parts not accurate to the CS jacket? Also, do you think Bernie Pollack told the jacket makers to do those certain specs for the jacket, or do you just think it was a coincidence that Nowak and Wested hit pretty much the same specs?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

As I recall, Bernie pulled a LC jacket from the LFL Archives to use as a basis for the new jackets for CS the TNO would have been based on a Wested jacket.

That being said, in the 12 years since CS came out, all of the jacket manufacturers have had opportunities to examine each others jackets and patterns have trended toward a middle point.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Indiana Jeff wrote:As I recall, Bernie pulled a LC jacket from the LFL Archives to use as a basis for the new jackets for CS the TNO would have been based on a Wested jacket.

That being said, in the 12 years since CS came out, all of the jacket manufacturers have had opportunities to examine each others jackets and patterns have trended toward a middle point.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I thought that maybe the CS was based on Disney/Cooper pattern. No joke, as they are remarkably similar.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Indiana Jeff wrote:As I recall, Bernie pulled a LC jacket from the LFL Archives to use as a basis for the new jackets for CS the TNO would have been based on a Wested jacket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Yeah, if I remember, Tony had access to one of Peter's original LC jackets. The CS really is an LC pattern with the quirks removed and a more "everyday" fit.

I can't really remember Wested's standard LC pre-2007 as I only had their Raiders back then, so I don't know how their commercial offering compared to after CS and Tony's jackets hit the market. From what I've seen they did incorporate a lot of Tony's jacket into the LC/CS they offer now.

Basically, Wested's LC/CS works for either movie.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I thought that maybe the CS was based on Disney/Cooper pattern. No joke, as they are remarkably similar.
It was evident that it wasn't a movie jacket. The double tramline arm hole stitch and cowhide pointed, in hindsight, as you note to the Korean Disney jackets. They can still be picked up on ebay and look, as you've noted remarkably like the CS jacket.

Image Image Image
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Kt Templar wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
It was evident that it wasn't a movie jacket. The double tramline arm hole stitch and cowhide pointed, in hindsight, as you note to the Korean Disney jackets. They can still be picked up on ebay and look, as you've noted remarkably like the CS jacket.

Image Image Image
Bingo. That is what I was thinking about. Pretty weird that they went with a copy of a commercial jacket for the fans.
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Here's a few more pics of one of the first Hero jackets made. Again, it's the lightweight goat that I bought from TexasScott. Its now 10 years old. Lots of graining and character, not a lot of wear, but its tough as nails and still fairly thing and lightweight. I really enjoy wearing it.

indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

So I wasn't completely satisfied with the Hero in lambskin that I received a few months ago, so I thought I give it another go, but in goatskin. I received the new Hero two days ago and Wested really hit it out of the park this time! I kept the same measurements: 42 chest, 24 back, and shortened the sleeves from 24.5 to 24. Although I requested the same measurements (except the sleeves), Wested's measurement inconsistencies worked in my favor this time around. The shoulders on my new jacket are shorter and the back measures 1/2" longer than the lambskin Hero. It's simply a better fit for me; the front of the jacket even appears longer. I also requested black sliders for the sidestraps and no signature label on the inside pocket. I can confidently say that I'm 100% happy with this new jacket. I already gave it the cold shower treatment and it looks and fits great! Gear photos will be taken soon!ImageImage

Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Very nice! I know what you mean by the sometimes random good fortune with Wested. Every now and again lightning strikes and its just perfect. One curiosity I think unique to Wested, is they get the side panels right. The original always had a bit of extra rumpled leather between the back pleats and front panels. Most Indy jackets tailor those a bit too much ... nice but slightly off.

Love the look of that goatskin.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

That looks great! Wested nailed it.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

that looks great! ....
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

How exactly do you do the shower treatment? Is there a thread dedicated to it?
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

IJJTM wrote:How exactly do you do the shower treatment? Is there a thread dedicated to it?
I just hang the jacket on a durable coat hanger, zip up the jacket, and give the jacket a cold shower for 3-5 minutes. Then shake off the excess water, throw on the jacket and go about your business. This will help the jacket form to your body as well as wrinkling up in all the right places. If the jacket is still damp when you need to hang it up, hang it from the loop on the inside.

I wasn't able to take full gear photos this weekend, so breakroom pictures will have to do ImageImageImageImage

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thank you very much.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Hi everyone, I am going to buy a Raiders Hero soon in washed lamb.

I am 5'6" but with the way my legs are short you could consider me more like 5'9/5'10 when considering my measurements.

I have a US Wings Indy jacket - one from a pattern newer than the ones they had before like 2010. I feel like I remember it being a newer pattern based on the actual jacket. It is a VERY heavy and thick leather jacket. I want a Wested Hero mainly so I can have a very lightweight thin leather. I like the idea that if the sleeves are long I can bunch them up and they'll stay bunched up - otherwise I don't like long sleeves. My US Wings jacket sleeves are too long. From the very top of the sleeve at the seam to the bottom it's 26". They're at LEAST an inch too long for my comfort and the sleeves hang off the shoulders very similar to the hero jacket. Back length is just right. From top of yoke to bottom is 26".

Also the US Wings is a size large and fits slightly loose. I think a 44 would be good for the Wested Hero.

My sleeve length measured is around 24", my back length is around 25".

If you aren't confused enough, can anyone make recommendations please?

Edit: My suit jacket's sleeve length from the very top of the sleeve (As it meets the seam/shoulder pad) is 23.5" which is a perfect fit and what I had it tailored too.

Should I order a 24" so that I can get a slightly longer length, account for bunching and shrinkage?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

indy89 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 pm
IJJTM wrote:How exactly do you do the shower treatment? Is there a thread dedicated to it?
I just hang the jacket on a durable coat hanger, zip up the jacket, and give the jacket a cold shower for 3-5 minutes. Then shake off the excess water, throw on the jacket and go about your business. This will help the jacket form to your body as well as wrinkling up in all the right places. If the jacket is still damp when you need to hang it up, hang it from the loop on the inside.

I wasn't able to take full gear photos this weekend, so breakroom pictures will have to do ImageImageImageImage

Good job! :TOH:
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

SFGiant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:49 am Hi everyone, I am going to buy a Raiders Hero soon in washed lamb.

I am 5'6" but with the way my legs are short you could consider me more like 5'9/5'10 when considering my measurements.

I have a US Wings Indy jacket - one from a pattern newer than the ones they had before like 2010. I feel like I remember it being a newer pattern based on the actual jacket. It is a VERY heavy and thick leather jacket. I want a Wested Hero mainly so I can have a very lightweight thin leather. I like the idea that if the sleeves are long I can bunch them up and they'll stay bunched up - otherwise I don't like long sleeves. My US Wings jacket sleeves are too long. From the very top of the sleeve at the seam to the bottom it's 26". They're at LEAST an inch too long for my comfort and the sleeves hang off the shoulders very similar to the hero jacket. Back length is just right. From top of yoke to bottom is 26".

Also the US Wings is a size large and fits slightly loose. I think a 44 would be good for the Wested Hero.

My sleeve length measured is around 24", my back length is around 25".

If you aren't confused enough, can anyone make recommendations please?

Edit: My suit jacket's sleeve length from the very top of the sleeve (As it meets the seam/shoulder pad) is 23.5" which is a perfect fit and what I had it tailored too.

Should I order a 24" so that I can get a slightly longer length, account for bunching and shrinkage?
The sleeves aren't going to be your biggest issue; in the end they're the easiest thing to get fixed if they're too long. Besides, with the shoulders of the Hero the sleeves will almost certainly be longer than your USW.

Your biggest concern will be back length, and possibly, depending on your body, chest and waist. It's important to understand back length in the Hero needs to be considered differently from other jackets because of how the collar is cut. A 26" back in the Hero will hang more like a 28" jacket.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Outstanding fit… great job. Just need to go get dirty
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Alright so here is the crucial advice I need.

I’ve decided my regular Raiders 27.5” back length should have been 25”. Would I be ok with a 23.5” in a hero? I’m ok with it being a bit long but not too short.

More importantly my regular Raiders with 23.5” sleeves are perfect length. I assume they might shrink or coil a bit. With a hero I wouldn’t want them to hang any longer at all. Should I go 22.5” or 22”?

Thank you.

Actually another concern. If the jacket hangs lower in the back because it sits lower, wouldn’t it have the opposite effect on the front and pull the front up? I wouldn’t want the front to look too short.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Typically I get the Hero about an inch and a half shorter in the back than the regular cut, so that sounds about right. I don’t think there’s much difference in the shoulder width between a Raiders and a Hero, so I wouldn’t fiddle with the sleeve length.
As to the back and front lengths, they cut the front panels differently to accommodate the off-the-shoulder design in the Hero, so no, the front won’t be too long. I have a goatskin Raiders with a 25” back and a washed lamb Hero with a 23” back. The Hero wears a smidge longer in both front and back and I’m 6’1”
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Good day all, I have a question about the wested Hero LC jacket. Is the back bottom panel stitched or is it folded over like the legacy LC?
I’m on the fence about which one to get. I plan on getting it in goat skin.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Heyjude7 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:12 pm Good day all, I have a question about the wested Hero LC jacket. Is the back bottom panel stitched or is it folded over like the legacy LC?
I’m on the fence about which one to get. I plan on getting it in goat skin.
Yes, the film jacket did not have a stitched hem on the back, thus the LC Hero doesn't. There's no difference in the pattern between the regular Hero and the Legacy, just the leather.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Thank you for the quick reply. The hero pics on their site have the hem sewn. I want that accuracy detail on it.
I have a Nowak Raiders but It has gotten a tad snug these days and I am gonna give it to my son. I got it the year he was born (2009) and now he can fit it. 13 years old and shot up to my size when I ordered it hahaha
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Heyjude7 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:49 pm Thank you for the quick reply. The hero pics on their site have the hem sewn. I want that accuracy detail on it.
I have a Nowak Raiders but It has gotten a tad snug these days and I am gonna give it to my son. I got it the year he was born (2009) and now he can fit it. 13 years old and shot up to my size when I ordered it hahaha
The photos on the site for the regular LC Hero uses a mix of photos from different iterations. I think when they first released the jacket a few years ago they either overlooked it or thought people would prefer the stitched hem for reinforcement, but that wasn't the case. Same with the pocket flaps, which you can see are different in the photos. That was a major sticking point with some people when the first ones started coming out. I can't remember, but they may have been attaching the straps the "standard" way as well instead of the screen accurate way. Basically they've had to keep up with S&J's direct knowledge of the actual jackets instead of the "good enough" versions they've relied on for so long. The Raiders Hero they've also quietly tweaked in the last few years.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

So is it safe to say they got the details right and ordering the hero would include these details or I’d have to request them?
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Tibor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:49 am Typically I get the Hero about an inch and a half shorter in the back than the regular cut, so that sounds about right. I don’t think there’s much difference in the shoulder width between a Raiders and a Hero, so I wouldn’t fiddle with the sleeve length.
As to the back and front lengths, they cut the front panels differently to accommodate the off-the-shoulder design in the Hero, so no, the front won’t be too long. I have a goatskin Raiders with a 25” back and a washed lamb Hero with a 23” back. The Hero wears a smidge longer in both front and back and I’m 6’1”
Wow so you went 2" shorter and it still hangs lower? Ok I won't be so insecure about 23.5" then. But you have a 23" back at 6'1"... does it feel short on you?

Good to know they adjust the front. I think for sleeves I'll go with 22.5" because if they did end up looking an inch short I'd like that anyway, so safe either way.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well, I bought both jackets secondhand, so it wasn't really intentional. The hero is just below the belt, and just at the top of pocket flaps. It’s very accurate to the Raiders look (in some scenes :TOH: ). It’s shorter than the Imam scenes, but perfect for clearing the whip, bag and holster as was originally intended.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Heyjude7 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:11 pm So is it safe to say they got the details right and ordering the hero would include these details or I’d have to request them?
If you order a Hero it will be the same pattern as the Legacy, the only difference being the leather. So if you want goat in the Legacy pattern, order a Hero in goat. Do be aware that goat will basically never age though, it's tough stuff. The legacy LC leather is quite robust if you ask me, with the extra positives being it weathers absolutely beautifully and screen accurate.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Ken wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:45 am
LostRaider25 wrote:Here are details of the shrunken lamb hero I got.

Back then I got a 36 but I felt it was too snug on me so I opted for a custom 37 since 38 might be too big for me. Wanted something a little more loose since the raiders jacker was a loose fit.

I like the leather on this one. Was really surprised to see that it's got some subtle striations around and after giving it a wash, grain popped out a lot more. And yes, it's shrunken lamb, resembles the washed due to the striations.

I just find the fit around the sleeves too loose. I already gave it a shower and a tumble dry and it wouldn't really narrow down. What do you guys think?

Here are some close up details:

Pocket details

Back striations and grain

Ribbyness texture popped out after wash

Collar

Here's the fit:
Image (front)
Image (back)
Image (side)
Image (arm fit)
That looks fantastic on you and love the texture. How recently did you get this?

Ken
Does your shrunken lamb have a cotton lining? Mine does and I'm afraid it'll make the fit weird if the leather shrinks after a shower.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Mine does have a cotton lining. The lining sort of bunched up inside but not too bad that it can be seen from the outside or that it's uncomfortable
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

LostRaider25 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:05 am Mine does have a cotton lining. The lining sort of bunched up inside but not too bad that it can be seen from the outside or that it's uncomfortable
Thanks. I gave it a warm shower and it didn't shrink at all. I think I'll continue to spray the arms though to give it more wrinkles. More grain has popped out on the arms, nothing on the body though.