Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by Holt »

Yes, the raiders should have that.

The LC should not. Looks like the LC has them.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Oh yep, I see them in IndianaSmitty's photos of his LC. I thought all screen used jackets from all films did not have them, but they are added for usability. Am I mistaken, did the Raiders jacket have gussets?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, the Raiders jackets did, or at least the hero jacket definitely did.

One of the most 'studied' photograph used when recreating the jacket for the G&B Expedition was the one used for the 'Stars' book back years ago. You can clearly see the gussets in that photo, which (at the time) no one was aware existed on the Raiders hero jacket. The jackets that Wested was making at that time did not include gussets, so the Expedition included them in their pattern.

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wow, that is strange that it has gussets standard. I went back and looked at the order page on the site thinking maybe they had a gusset option since they do offer some odd options on the regular LC Hero like the buckles since they released it a few years ago, but nope, no gussets option. Perhaps they figure most people would want them or that they may help address the winging problem most Wested LCs are known for. Though Wested's gussets tend to be more for looks than function.

But yeah, most of the Raiders jackets seem to have gussets and the ToD also had them. Why LC didn't is a mystery to me. Only thing I can think of is the bigger armholes and boxier fit made them moot.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Thank you for the information, that's good info. I had no idea the screen used Raiders jackets had gussets, that makes me very happy with my Legacy Raiders jacket. My S&J LC does not have gussets, which makes sense given their quest for screen accuracy.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

tubasthebest wrote:Thank you for the information, that's good info. I had no idea the screen used Raiders jackets had gussets, that makes me very happy with my Legacy Raiders jacket. My S&J LC does not have gussets, which makes sense given their quest for screen accuracy.
Neither did WE until we studied that aforementioned photo, then 'got our hands' on Terry Leonard's stunt jacket that was in a private collection in California! It, too, had gussets. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

My Last Crusade Legacy doesn't have gussets. Must be a manufacturing mistake on the jacket posted above, or maybe he asked for them.

Mine on the day I got it, after ten minutes wear. click the links.
https://imgur.com/eahxkpc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After a couple of hours.
https://imgur.com/Bbl7hsy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, I was going to say that if they were standard that people would have raised he!! a few years ago when the LC Hero was released. Perhaps Smitty asked for them, otherwise it's one heck of a manufacturing error in which case I'd be going over it with a fine comb to look for other possible errors and make sure they didn't halfway make a Raiders and realize their goof and patch together an LC.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Hey all,

A little update “gusset-gate.” Another member here put me in touch with Mick at Wested. To he clear, I did NOT order the jacket with gussets… I wanted and expected a fairly screen accurate jacket.

Mick told me that another customer ordered the exact same size as me but DID request gussets they sent me his jacket by mistake. The rub now is that I’ve distressed the jacket, so it is not returnable. Now to be fair, I didn’t know the gussets are not accurate for this jacket. So I guess It could argued that I shouldn’t be bothered. But it does bother me now that I know. I paid a premium for screen accuracy and did not get it. We’ll see how Mick responds. Yes, I know what the return policy is and Wested can certainly tell me that it’s too bad that they goofed up, but since I distressed the jacket, they won’t do anything. I’d prefer a new jacket, made accurately, but a partial refund would satisfy me. I suspect I’ll get neither, which would be very disappointing.

Having said that, I am otherwise very happy with the jacket. If I could just “unknow” that the gussets are wrong, I’d be happy.

Edit: Mick has offered to pay for a local tailor to correct the error. He says that if the gussets are removed, the sleeve will be identical to what it would been. I’m going to check around to see if someone locally can do it. If that works out, I will be satisfied.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The Legacy LC is the best LC jacket wested ever has produced. But its not 100% screen accurate. With or without gussets. Doesnt matter. there are other details that are wrong.

Some might say, who are you and how do you know? Well,my name is Holt and I have studied this jacket for 2 decades and it is THE indy jacket for me.

I could point out what's wrong but frankly I dont bother and it should not matter. I think people should enjoy what wested offers now. We have never been as close as this! It looks great and it screams LC! So to the untrained eye it is very screen accurate!

Enjoy it!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well they don't really detract from the jacket and if anything they are a value add of sorts.

Personally I'd keep it as long as it fits right; just get the tape measure out and really go over it to make sure it's the dimensions you ordered, etc. Your only other option is to put it on Ebay or post it here on the Bazaar and use the proceeds toward another jacket.
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m leaning towards leaving it as it is. I’m pretty happy with it, really, and put a few hours into distressing it, which I like the look of.
eporium
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by eporium »

IndianaSmitty wrote:

Mick told me that another customer ordered the exact same size as me but DID request gussets they sent me his jacket by mistake.
If the other customer doesn't want the gussetless jacket and returns it to Wested then maybe Wested will let you have it for a reduced price?
IndianaSmitty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndianaSmitty »

eporium wrote:
IndianaSmitty wrote:

Mick told me that another customer ordered the exact same size as me but DID request gussets they sent me his jacket by mistake.
If the other customer doesn't want the gussetless jacket and returns it to Wested then maybe Wested will let you have it for a reduced price?
That’s a good question. I’ll ask him.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Raiders Legacy on order.

I havent bought a Raiders jacket since 2011. Its gonna be my happy 40th an. Indy jacket. So this will be fun.

Im usually a 44 but the hero is a tighter fit so I went one size up. Two reasons for that. One reason is the fact the raiders jacket is a loose/baggy fit and 2, I lift weights quite a bit, and here up north we layer when it gets polarbear weather. Need some extra room in the jacket.

I also went one inch shorter as usual in sleeve and back length.

Height 6'2''
Size 46. ( usually 44)
Sleeve 24.5'' ( usally 25.5)
backlength 24'' ( usually 25 )
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Could you switch the jacket with the other guy who ordered?
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Holt wrote:

Im usually a 44 but the hero is a tighter fit so I went one size up. Two reasons for that. One reason is the fact the raiders jacket is a loose/baggy fit and 2, I lift weights quite a bit, and here up north we layer when it gets polarbear weather. Need some extra room in the jacket.
Good call on sizing up! Usually my sized up Indy Jackets fit me better as well. Wested's standard though has a lot more space (6 inches of breathing space I believe) which won't require you to size up.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Recieved my Legacy crusade jacket. Its a great jacket. Good details. They could be alittle better but thats just my stitch nazi mind speaking. However, its the best LC jacket wested ever has produced. Love the B&N tag, the accurate gold zipper and the accurate snaps. Love the collar! Dig how they got the inside backpanel corners correct. Great pocket size. The diary fits perfectly in it. Those who know me know I am the diary guy around here and the LC jacket SHOULD have pockets wide enough for the diary! ;)

Now, this is a special order. I asked nicely if they could make me one in dark novapelle which they did. I did this to cross it over to crystal scull. :D

I also asked if they could do a rectangular zipper pull, which they also did. :tup:

I ordered it 1'' longer from the screen accurate length which is 26''. So mine is 27''. I did this because I am obsessed with the castle of Brunwald jacket which to me allways seemed alittle longer then the one he has in the tank scenes. You can really see the baginess and longness of the jacket when he looks out the window after Henry hits him in the head. Or when he enters the room with his hands cuffed to his back. Or when he looks for the exit and falls down the steps. The jacket looks pretty long and baggy. Lovez it!

I allready put the jacket under a hot water shower to tighten and shrinken it up alittle. To force the grain out. After this it will be treated with a couple coats of brown tinted pecards.

Another Legacy LC in Legacy lambskin on the way. Looking forward seeing the skin.

Will post pictures. :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I started some distressing on my LC Legacy. It's actually really easy, with very little effort using just a green kitchen sponge the undertone comes through.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

So, after a few days of wearing it and giving it some brown tinted pecards I took some pictures of it.

This is a Legacy Last crusade cut in dark brown novapelle.

The cowhide is supple yet feels like a jacket that Indy would wear. You can feel it has some weight when picking it up but as soon as you put it on you cant feel the weight anymore. Feels like lambskin wearing it.

The jacket has a 27'' backlength. Original jacket is at 26'' backlength. I went one inch longer since I am 6'2'' and Ford is about 6' tall.

Also the Castle Brunwald jacket allways seemed alittle longer to me, then all the other jackets he has on during the movie. I dunno.. it might be not the case but when I see INdy enters the rom with his hands cuffed to his back the jacket looks pretty long. Also, when he looks out the window after being hit in the head by Henry, the jacket looks long to me. Anyways, its all in the eye of the beholder right? ;)

Did I say I am obsessed witht he Brunwald jacket? Well, I AM!! So everything Brunwald I am replicating! :lol:

Bear in mind the jacket is still slighly 'wet' from the pecards and hasn't fully dried up.

What do you guys think? Dont pay attention to the gear, I put it on to get an idea how the jacket wil look when having the real LC gear on.

All in all, I like the jacket, it has great details. The best LC wested ever has produced! Great pockets and placement, The pocket placement is extremely important to get the LC jacket correct. Pocket flaps are good too! The collar looks great. The cut overall screams LC. But I can not for the love of God stand those straps! I wish they could just have that detail in order! Ah well, its still one fabulous jacket!

If you look at the overall cut of the jacket and the boxy shoulders you can tell its a dead ringer for the jacket Indy wears here.
ImageImage

I may be selling this one and order a pre-distressed hide instead. Not sure yet... I need some time to think about it.
Last edited by Holt on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Fantastic!!

What is the sleeve length, and chest?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks!

SLeeve is at 25.75'' and chest is 44.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Looking great, Holt. I love the hat! The richer chestnut color of the felt with the duller grey-brown of the ribbon are fantastic! And the shape is gorgeous. :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

That’s one nice looking jacket, to bad I’m 5’5”, I snag that.
You wear it well, just needs some distressing.

Croft :mrgreen:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Beautiful jacket! A little off-topic but what kind of hat is that?
Thee
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Thee »

Could someone explain what exactly is wrong with Holts straps. They look fine to me but I am not an expert on the LC jacket.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

From the photo the straps look good... just really long. :oops:
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

That jacket looks amazing it and it's a perfect fit on you! On point :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Well the straps itself are good, its the strap anchoring that are wrong. They are too long and not accuratly sewn. It should have a small folded edge.

The hat is a fanmade hat gifted to me by a COW member about 13 years ago. 100% pure beaver. Since then I have reblocked it with my block, trimmed down the brim to match LC and replaced the ribbon with a garrison ribbon. :TOH: Yes, I love it.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

The jacket looks awesome, Holt! The whole outfit is incredible! :clap:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

So, the legacy crusade in their ''accruate lambskin'' arrived today.

First impression: I have never felt this kind of Lambskin from wested before. Its feels kinda rubbery if that makes sence? The surface is kinda matt? I dunno, hard to explain. Does not look or feel like cheap leather. Second impression. The leather is not THAT thick. It kinda feels like the leather weight you get on the of the rack wested jackets. Feels like it can take a beating tho. The color is not authentic brown lamb. Looks like medium chocolate brown.

It distresses like normal lambskin. No difference there.

However, the jacket in legacy lambskin is awesome! It has a dullish brown surface with a rusty undertone. It will distress exactly like the original I am sure.

So, one in novapelle, one in Lambskin, both are jackets that I'm gonna wear..

And Im getting another one to distress the corona out of it .
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

So....

As many of you may or may not know, Im a black magic jacket performer! (To Michaelson big frustration :lol: )

I soaked the Legacy lambskin jacket, let it drie up to about 70%, then I threw it in the drier for about 4-5 minutes. Medium hot air. And when it came out, voila, one piece of awesome Last crusade jacket. I cannot believe what it did to the leather. :D :tup:

now, I do NOT recommend doing this if you dont have any experience with it. You just really have to know what you are doing here as leather, water and hot air do not mix well.... in the long run. Small baby steps are needed here. I talk with alot of failed experience here guys. :lol:

However, this leather reacted very well to the black magic. The leather maby shrunk and tightend up about lets say 7%?. The leather feels different. Beef jerky comes to mind. lol.

It kinda became puffy looking and it brought out a few striations we see on the original LC jacket :tup: :tup:

I love the skin. There is just something about having lambskin on an Indy jacket. Keeping it original.

The novapelle pictured above will be the jacket I will let age naturally. And this black magic lamsbkin will also be a day to day wearable jacket..

However, another LC Legacy is on the way for distressing!!

And soon the Steel and Jones jacket!!!
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

:WLWOP:

I'm curious how the soaking and drying process changed the leather.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Pictures will come up soon when it dries completley up. ;)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ya, but did the straps shrunk up. :D

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here is the jacket fully dried up. Shrunk about 8% or so, which to me is good. It brings out the life, you can see the striations it brought out here and there. Exactly liek we see on the original crusade jacket. So happy with that! Leather feels somewhat harder and tougher to the touch which will probably go away after I completley destroy this jacket.

In the end, you wont even recognize this anymore. I am going to recreate the Last crusade jacket using this one. I got this at a special price so it only makes sence to destroy this one. I have a new one on the way so... and I got my awesome novapelle jacket.. so I'm good for a while.

Anyway, aging wise, this is going to be inspired by the Cichago jacket since that jacket allways screemd at me. I love the look dearly! You see that jacket at the beach, the Zeppling and the motorcycle chase.

The leather amazing. Undertone is very accurate!

Edit. new pictures will come
Last edited by Holt on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

:) Very accurate Lego Indy hands :TOH:
Holt wrote: ImageImage
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

LMAO! I knew someone would catch that at one point!! :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Ok, so after a few days wearing the Legacy Lambskin I have compared every known shot of the movie jacket to my jacket. I have starred at myself in the mirror hour after hour moving the jacket around and comparing every angle and honestly the cut (not details but cut) of the new wested Legacy is IDENTICAL to the original LC jacket. It moves and behaves the exact same way. I have studied the original jacket for almsot two decades now and the LC is the only true indy jacket to me. So I know what I am looking for and the new legacy scratches my itch. No other LC jacket from wested has behaved and moved like this one does. None!

I talked to Mick at wested today and he told me they had an original jacket in hand at one point and it really shows in this new jacket.

I am very impressed. Next stop will be the weathering. I have aged the underside of the collar and the undertones are perfect.

I will create a new thread on the legacy lamb soon and I will do a comparison between my jacket and the LC jacket. Like I did with the temple of doom jacket a few years ago. You might remember?
Last edited by Holt on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Looking forward to your comparisons and more photos!
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Exceedingly late to the party here but a really superb jacket Holt. The colour and leather look brilliant.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Holt wrote:Ok, so after a few days wearing the Legacy Lambskin I have compared every known shot of the movie jacket to my jacket. I have starred at myself in the mirror hour after hour moving the jacket around and comparing every angle and honestly the cut (not details but cut) of the new wested Legacy is IDENTICAL to the original LC jacket. It moves and behaves the exact same way. I have studied the original jacket for almsot two decades now and the LC is the only true indy jacket to me. So I know what I am looking for and the new legacy scratches my itch. No other LC jacket from wested has behaved and moved like this one does. None!

I talked to Mick at wested today and he told me they had an original jacket in hand at one point and it really shows in this new jacket.

I am very impressed. Next stop will be the weathering. I have aged the underside of the collar and the undertones are perfect.

I will create a new thread on the legacy lamb soon and I will do a comparison between my jacket and the LC jacket. Like I did with the temple of doom jacket a few years ago. You might remember?

Weird question Holt - how high are you wearing your pants here? I know that makes a big difference in how long the jacket appears to be. I usually wear mine lower so sometimes jackets looks significantly shorter than I'd like. This one looks the perfect length on you though.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I totally agree with Holt on this one. I bought a Legacy a few weeks ago, when I got it I was a little surprised at the colour, it looked a lot like the slightly grey milk chocolate authentic brown from about 10 years ago.

Contacted Mick to make sure it was the right "legacy" lamb leather, the answer was roughly "Trust me" :)

So I went ahead and distressed it, lovely warm tones came out and the un distressed parts warmed up, the leather also thickend up, this is a keeper folks.

Straight out of the bag:

After a little warm water and scourer TLC:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nice job, that looks awesome.
I’m such a huge fan of distressed.
These jackets are built so well, there distressing take far longer than I’ll be kickin around.

Wear that one in good health, and pictures in gear if your into that vs just pictures of you wearing.

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Kt Templar wrote:I totally agree with Holt on this one. I bought a Legacy a few weeks ago, when I got it I was a little surprised at the colour, it looked a lot like the slightly grey milk chocolate authentic brown from about 10 years ago.

Contacted Mick to make sure it was the right "legacy" lamb leather, the answer was roughly "Trust me" :)

So I went ahead and distressed it, lovely warm tones came out and the un distressed parts warmed up, the leather also thickend up, this is a keeper folks.

Straight out of the bag:

Wow... nice jacket Kt. Amazing how the leather actually looks more formidable and substantial when it isn't shiny and new.

How does that leather compare in weight and firmness to the standard Wested lamb?
bantufo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bantufo »

Very nice jacket, KT.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

CM wrote: Wow... nice jacket Kt. Amazing how the leather actually looks more formidable and substantial when it isn't shiny and new.

How does that leather compare in weight and firmness to the standard Wested lamb?
Thank you, it's actually a lightweight leather, it may even be lighter than regular lamb, but it has a body to it once wetted and distressed.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Kt Templar wrote:I totally agree with Holt on this one. I bought a Legacy a few weeks ago, when I got it I was a little surprised at the colour, it looked a lot like the slightly grey milk chocolate authentic brown from about 10 years ago.

Straight out of the bag:

Is this the same leather and colour of the Raiders legacy jacket? :-k
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

No, the Last Crusade Legacy jacket was released much later as they were still sourcing the leather. The Legacy Raiders is different.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

They are different.

The Raiders Legacy is darker and slightly heavier weight.

post pics