Wested Legacy series announced

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Legacy series announced

Post by tomek9210 »

Probably 25 inch back would look better on you.

This leather kinda reminds me the old horsehide from Wested. Of course it was thicker, but feeling was similiar. Too bad they don't offer dark brown lambskin as it was pretty thin.

I will try to post photos today or tomorrow.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

tomek9210 wrote:Probably 25 inch back would look better on you.
Yeah, I'm sadly realizing that, but still very happy. But if I could do it again, I'd have gone an inch shorter.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Hedji wrote:
Yeah, I'm sadly realizing that, but still very happy. But if I could do it again, I'd have gone an inch shorter.
Don't worry too much about it, it can shrink a tad bit the more you use it. Plus better a tad bit longer than a tad too short. You'd be able to wear it with your shirt untucked.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I went a bit shorter on the back than I was really comfortable with and I was actually really pleased with it. Bad part about it is that I have 3 other jackets that I now think are too long ](*,) I still like all of them, but I just chalk it up to the trials and tribulations of the hobby. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

A rule of thumb is to try on a collared shirt that fits well and tuck it in. Have someone measure from the bottom of the collar stand to somewhere below the belt, a length that you prefer. Usually, is an inch or 2 below the bottom edge of the belt.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

LostRaider25 wrote:
Hedji wrote:
Don't worry too much about it, it can shrink a tad bit the more you use it. Plus better a tad bit longer than a tad too short. You'd be able to wear it with your shirt untucked.
Thank you. Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it. Of course, it gives me an excuse to look at getting a S & J truck jacket fit to more screen accurate length. :lol:

But I love my Legacy jacket and am in it more often than not. Happy the cooler weather here in NY has allowed for lots of use.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thank you. Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it. Of course, it gives me an excuse to look at getting a S & J truck jacket fit to more screen accurate length. :lol:

But I love my Legacy jacket and am in it more often than not. Happy the cooler weather here in NY has allowed for lots of use.
We're the opposite haha, my first jacket from S&J is more of a screen accurate fit, and I recently had another one ordered for a more conventional casual fit. The screen accurate fit is very beautiful, but I can only wear certain garments in a certain way, like I always have to tuck my shirt in or wear middle rise pants whenever I wear it. I wanted to have another one though where I can wear it when my shirt untucked, or where I can have it layered. If you plan on getting another one, then S&J is a perfect option, especially if screen accuracy is what you're aiming for.

Either way, your legacy jacket looks great as it is!
Last edited by LostRaider25 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Hedji wrote:
You'll be grateful in two years time when it's a half inch shorter from wear and use. Nothing worse than ordering the perfect length brand new and then having the jacket become too short after a couple of years. Been there, done that, learned the lesson.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

xmasters wrote:
Hedji wrote:
You'll be grateful in two years time when it's a half inch shorter from wear and use. Nothing worse than ordering the perfect length brand new and then having the jacket become too short after a couple of years. Been there, done that, learned the lesson.
Agree! I’ve worn mine a ton over the last few months and it is shorter, and also much softer! They break in beautifully.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone. You guys are awesome. :notworthy: :clap:
chris.jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by chris.jones »

Lockdown time was research time for me also. So I started a new journey for a perfect Raiders Jacket, again :lol:
The Wested Legacy Raiders was a nobrianer. But as always there is this thing with the size at Wested. After owning a Standard Wested Lambskin in 42 and a Cowhide also in 42 ( Both a bit different in size) and collecting all kinds of informations about the sizing
I decided to stay at that 42 chest size. This should really be a perfect copy of the iconic Raiders Jacket from the original maker. So I took the measurements from Ford that Tony Nowak shared with us, made the extra inches on the back an the arms to fit a size 42.
And threw it into the Wested lottery. Right now I am at the same age like Ford at the time when he did Raiders. I do have nearly the same size like him ( ok I am a bit bigger than 6,1' and also have some Covid Lockdown weight on my hips right now)
the idea was to find out if I would fit in the Raiders Costume....kind of. And here you see the results. I am more then happy with the Jacket. The quality, the smell, the weight everything is perfect. Personally I think it is a bit short but when I compare it to
Screenshot I think it is quite close to what Ford was wearing on screen. It also ads that kind of bulky look that Deborah Noodleman was talking about. What do you think?

Sorry for the bad pictures. No natural light and also not the newest Iphone. And Vader says hi too ;)

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Very nice fit, man these Legacy really look awesome.
Just needs some breaking in / distressing and it’ll be perfect.

Also nice gear pic’s, I love doing cosplay pictures. Lots of fun.

Wear that one in good health, and I’m assuming it’s everything you wanted in “the” jacket.

Croft :mrgreen:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

It seems like they are making these Wested jackets longer than they used to? An OTR at 27" or so is quite long for this style.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Texan Scott wrote:It seems like they are making these Wested jackets longer than they used to? An OTR at 27" or so is quite long for this style.
The legacy series is custom order only. I don't know about OTR but the picture proportions of the OTR don't look any diffferent to how they usually make them.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Cool jacket - if they offer a pre-distressed version, I'd be more inclined to opt for one.

As a side note, however, as much as I love both the ROLA and LC jackets (I'm very anxious to see the Legacy LC jacket though), I'm leaning towards their Legacy ToD jacket. Reason being, with my being tall / thin, the ToD jacket may look more proportionate on my particular frame. Again, if I were to opt for a lambskin jacket for any of these Legacy versions, if a pre-distressed option was available it'd be more appealing for me to take the plunge, personally. Surprisingly, the Raider's looks to have a more tailored / more trim of a waist than the TodD based on their comparison pics...

Overall - wonderful to see Wested working to perfect their product. I respect that, :tup: :tup:
bantufo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bantufo »

Ordered this on the longer side as I think it's among one of the only Indy jackets one can order in terms of preferred specs vs. defaulted and decisively generalized specs among most Indy jackets that, to me, look too "Bespin" short or "Tuxedo front without the tails - ish" for either screen-accurate attempts (especially for everyday wear when paired with jeans) with the rest of the gear. Most Raiders jackets just tend to look a bit too "Penguin" to me.

On the additional plus side this jacket (leather choice) IS THE STUFF in terms of how it weathers down and looks once "wardrobe departmentalized." Wested's leather offering for the legacy is about as close as any's going to get for film reaction and result once treated as the costume department did. This jacket is 92% there! Action back and pleats are cut WAY TOO GENEROUS in general, and about the only downfall for this jacket not hitting the mark on EVERY aspect of the Raiders jacket - save for the pocket flaps being equal-sized to the pockets and not slightly wider than the hand warmer pouches.

Leather: Spongy; smells like chemical Wasabi out of the bag, and that's all fine and tolerable; FINISHES, displays and weathers like the film jacket!

BIGGEST FLAW: Action pleats (center panel) cut too large and seem geared toward accommodating possibly a heavier crowd at the loss of fit accuracy - I can't imagine who the extra room in this area is intended to fit. That's not just what I noticed on my jacket but somewhat consistently on others' as well. If Wested's Legacy ever corrects this segment of the jacket to fit appropriately and not to adapt to also appease the general mass maybe, it's an OUT OF THE PARK Raiders!

Satisfied? I LOVE IT yet hate it for that singular minute detail. It is still by far one of the best Raiders jackets I've seen. The order met my measurement requests to the letter. No complaints there. Default pattern is just too wide at the center panel making the action back pleats more conspicuous and prominent in profile when worn than they need to be. That's about it. SO CLOSE! So close. A kudos to Wested though and I hope they're open to minute adjustments to fix. Leather and mood of the jacket overall? PURE RAIDERS GOODNESS.

*It's also brand new and has been folded up in shipping for a bit so this area may settle and relax over some time.

Got the X-box stitching instead; just like the reinforced strap stitching for longevity's sake.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Wested announced the Last Crusade Legacy jacket - https://www.wested.com/the-legacy-last- ... 4831-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

tomek9210 wrote:Wested announced the Last Crusade Legacy jacket - https://www.wested.com/the-legacy-last- ... 4831-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it just me or does the back panel look way better on the Crusade than the Raiders or Temple jackets? Might just be the wider shoulders in that pattern making it look the way we’ve all been saying we wanted the Raiders to look, but it’s hard to tell without pics of the arms outstretched to the sides to see where the seems line up.

Also, odd that the color looks SO much lighter when they’re saying it’s the same leather as the other two Legacy jackets… I’m sure it’s just lighting though.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It's likely a different batch since the LC leather was a lighter, more chocolate brown than the Raiders. That was probably what the wait was for.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Chose Poorly wrote:
tomek9210 wrote:Wested announced the Last Crusade Legacy jacket - https://www.wested.com/the-legacy-last- ... 4831-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it just me or does the back panel look way better on the Crusade than the Raiders or Temple jackets? Might just be the wider shoulders in that pattern making it look the way we’ve all been saying we wanted the Raiders to look, but it’s hard to tell without pics of the arms outstretched to the sides to see where the seems line up.

Also, odd that the color looks SO much lighter when they’re saying it’s the same leather as the other two Legacy jackets… I’m sure it’s just lighting though.
It's just the lighting. The Legacy is one of the darkest Raiders jackets I've ever owned.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

so let me know understand this legacy LC, is it the same pattern from Hero one with more screen-accuracy lambskin??
And all three jackets from legacy range are using same batch of lambskin?
Thanks
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes it's not the same leather used for the other two legacy jackets. One of the reasons for the later release of this jacket was getting the leather perfected. Apparently.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

For those that own both a Raiders Hero made in the past several years and the Legacy Raiders: Does the legacy jacket still have the shoulder/sleeve seam hanging far off the shoulder onto each arm?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

xmasters wrote:Yes it's not the same leather used for the other two legacy jackets. One of the reasons for the later release of this jacket was getting the leather perfected. Apparently.
Wait, what? So Legacy LC is a different leather from Raiders, ToD?
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

indy1936 wrote:For those that own both a Raiders Hero made in the past several years and the Legacy Raiders: Does the legacy jacket still have the shoulder/sleeve seam hanging far off the shoulder onto each arm?
I had a Hero jacket from 2012 in size 38 and the off-the-shoulders effect was way more pronounced in that jacket than in my current Legacy from 2021 in size 40.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

tomek9210 wrote:
indy1936 wrote:For those that own both a Raiders Hero made in the past several years and the Legacy Raiders: Does the legacy jacket still have the shoulder/sleeve seam hanging far off the shoulder onto each arm?
I had a Hero jacket from 2012 in size 38 and the off-the-shoulders effect was way more pronounced in that jacket than in my current Legacy from 2021 in size 40.
That's very surprising. So they've decided that the Hero went too far?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Wested has quietly tweaked the Hero pattern the past few years since Peter passed. They eased up on the overly generous shoulder cut and shortened the straps and seem to have lessened the taper in the body and sleeves some. This version they've produced the past maybe 2 years is a marked improvement over the ones from maybe 5+ years ago.

I *strongly* suspect they took some cues from BK and/or S&J in that regard. And now especially regarding the hardware. Hence what the Legacy jackets now use.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Kokopelli wrote:
xmasters wrote:Yes it's not the same leather used for the other two legacy jackets. One of the reasons for the later release of this jacket was getting the leather perfected. Apparently.
Wait, what? So Legacy LC is a different leather from Raiders, ToD?
Yes, it's not the same lambskin leather that is on the Legacy Raiders and ToD. It's different.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

I have a Raiders Hero from early 2018. Wondering if the legacy is different enough to warrant another purchase. :-k ;)
Last edited by indy1936 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

indy1936 wrote:I have a Raiders Hero from early 2018. Wondering if the legend is different enough to warrant another purchase. :-k ;)
Depends on what the difference you're looking for is. In terms of the leather, definitely. In terms of the cut and fit...maybe?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

bantufo wrote:
*It's also brand new and has been folded up in shipping for a bit so this area may settle and relax over some time.

Got the X-box stitching instead; just like the reinforced strap stitching for longevity's sake.
What was your process for weathing the jacket? I like the look of this.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Placed an order for a Legacy Raiders. I'll compare it to the 2018 Hero version of the same size when it arrives.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

indy1936 wrote:Placed an order for a Legacy Raiders. I'll compare it to the 2018 Hero version of the same size when it arrives.
I'm eager to see the comparison in a few weeks. I had a heck of a time trying to get a Hero to fit years ago, but I tried a friend's Legacy in my size and it was a MUCH better fit and without some of those silly things about it that I remember from earlier. It really felt a lot more like my BK.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Illinois_Jones wrote:
indy1936 wrote:Placed an order for a Legacy Raiders. I'll compare it to the 2018 Hero version of the same size when it arrives.
I'm eager to see the comparison in a few weeks. I had a heck of a time trying to get a Hero to fit years ago, but I tried a friend's Legacy in my size and it was a MUCH better fit and without some of those silly things about it that I remember from earlier. It really felt a lot more like my BK.
I'm especially curious as to how the shoulders/arms will fit. The sleeves came out maybe 1.5" too long on my 2018 hero even though my sleeve measurement was accurate based on how they request the measurement and on other Wested's I've had. If the shoulder pattern on the new legacy hero are modified this may affect things.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

indy1936 wrote:
Illinois_Jones wrote:
I'm especially curious as to how the shoulders/arms will fit. The sleeves came out maybe 1.5" too long on my 2018 hero even though my sleeve measurement was accurate based on how they request the measurement and on other Wested's I've had. If the shoulder pattern on the new legacy hero are modified this may affect things.
Yeah, the old Hero had a quality to it that I always said was a caricature of the film jacket. Peter I think exaggerated some features of the jacket at the behest of some of the fans. It was like an amalgamation of tweaks he made over the years to make people happy, except they never really were happy. I remember Diego at S&J had a good observation of the Wested Hero pattern being kind of a mess because it was formed sort of piecemeal instead of holistically, I guess you could say. It was sort of a Frankenstein of suggestions accumulated over the years.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

chris.jones wrote:Lockdown time was research time for me also. So I started a new journey for a perfect Raiders Jacket, again :lol:
The Wested Legacy Raiders was a nobrianer. But as always there is this thing with the size at Wested. After owning a Standard Wested Lambskin in 42 and a Cowhide also in 42 ( Both a bit different in size) and collecting all kinds of informations about the sizing
I decided to stay at that 42 chest size. This should really be a perfect copy of the iconic Raiders Jacket from the original maker. So I took the measurements from Ford that Tony Nowak shared with us, made the extra inches on the back an the arms to fit a size 42.
And threw it into the Wested lottery. Right now I am at the same age like Ford at the time when he did Raiders. I do have nearly the same size like him ( ok I am a bit bigger than 6,1' and also have some Covid Lockdown weight on my hips right now)
the idea was to find out if I would fit in the Raiders Costume....kind of. And here you see the results. I am more then happy with the Jacket. The quality, the smell, the weight everything is perfect. Personally I think it is a bit short but when I compare it to
Screenshot I think it is quite close to what Ford was wearing on screen. It also ads that kind of bulky look that Deborah Noodleman was talking about. What do you think?

Sorry for the bad pictures. No natural light and also not the newest Iphone. And Vader says hi too ;)

Great jacket and pics! \:D/
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Has this new leather the same greenish/greysh undertones of the classic standard raiders lambskin? I think you all know what I mean... :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Indiana Strones wrote:Has this new leather the same greenish/greysh undertones of the classic standard raiders lambskin? I think you all know what I mean... :TOH:
It doesn't. The new Legacy leathers have more correct looking movie colour undertones, as it says on the wested page.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

xmasters wrote:
Indiana Strones wrote:Has this new leather the same greenish/greysh undertones of the classic standard raiders lambskin? I think you all know what I mean... :TOH:
It doesn't. The new Legacy leathers have more correct looking movie colour undertones, as it says on the wested page.
Thanks! :notworthy: :TOH:
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

It's time to order a new jacket I think.. :-k
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

If you feel the need to update yours, might as well go for it :TOH:
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Jacket should be here this week. That was fast turnaround. :-k
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Has anyone ordered a Legacy Last Crusade yet? I'd like to see how that came out as I'm interested in ordering that one possibly. I'm happy with my Raiders Hero in washed lamb and my Bill Kelso Relic Hunter, so I want to venture into the Last Crusade next.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

LostRaider25 wrote:If you feel the need to update yours, might as well go for it :TOH:
:tup:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The legacy leather is nice to wear on my Raiders, hard to explain, but it feels quality. I'm thinking of distressing it in the same areas as the Indy V jacket, from the pictures that are available so far. Seeing as it looks like the Indy V jacket is the same fit and pattern as Wested's legacy Raiders jacket...hmm. (don't think it's the same leather though).
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

xmasters wrote:The legacy leather is nice to wear on my Raiders, hard to explain, but it feels quality. I'm thinking of distressing it in the same areas as the Indy V jacket, from the pictures that are available so far. Seeing as it looks like the Indy V jacket is the same fit and pattern as Wested's legacy Raiders jacket...hmm. (don't think it's the same leather though).
Would you mind share some pics of the leather? thanks
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

What sizing adjustments need to be made between the Raiders Hero (Legacy) fit and the LC Hero (Legacy) fit?

Stick with the same body length and sleeves or adjust slightly?
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Ordered on the 10th and it arrived on the 16th. I definitely like the color better on the legacy than the 2018 lamb hero I have. :o It also doesn’t have the exaggerated hang off the neck and shoulders like before. Which is good in my opinion.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

marker2037 wrote:What sizing adjustments need to be made between the Raiders Hero (Legacy) fit and the LC Hero (Legacy) fit?

LC jacket I wouldn't order shorter than 25" back. It doesn't have thhe same hang that the Raiders jacket does. I'd order my normal sleeve length.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

xmasters wrote:
marker2037 wrote:What sizing adjustments need to be made between the Raiders Hero (Legacy) fit and the LC Hero (Legacy) fit?

LC jacket I wouldn't order shorter than 25" back. It doesn't have thhe same hang that the Raiders jacket does. I'd order my normal sleeve length.
Well saying a 25" back is relative to the wearer. I don't know what you wear on a Raiders Hero or Kelso. I have a 23.5" Kelso and my Wested is also 23.5" more or less (ordered 24", but measuring can differ).

I don't like long jackets. I despise long jackets.