Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

Post by Indiana_Nate »

My Raiders Poet does not have the turn, but my Penman Everyman does. The crease on the Raiders is so sharp, I wouldn't want to have to readjust it for the turn. I feel like you would never get it all the way out. However, overall I like it with the turn. I think it adds a great dimension to the hat, makes it much more "hero like". If (more like when) I spring for the 40th I'll definitely have Michelle put the turn in. Hopefully the exchange rate goes down by then.
WarmWaves
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WarmWaves »

Indiana_Nate wrote:My Raiders Poet does not have the turn, but my Penman Everyman does. The crease on the Raiders is so sharp, I wouldn't want to have to readjust it for the turn. I feel like you would never get it all the way out. However, overall I like it with the turn. I think it adds a great dimension to the hat, makes it much more "hero like". If (more like when) I spring for the 40th I'll definitely have Michelle put the turn in. Hopefully the exchange rate goes down by then.
Yea, this is what I love about the turn and every picture I see with the turn looks like THE hat to me. She just made me a little gun-shy when she mentioned that to get the best result, she recommends putting the turn in myself to best match my face/head. I'm probably overthinking this way too much. You all made me feel much more comfortable about this, I'm going to place more order right now! Thanks everyone!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

No problem, share some pictures later if you get the chance.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

WarmWaves wrote:
Indiana_Nate wrote:My Raiders Poet does not have the turn, but my Penman Everyman does. The crease on the Raiders is so sharp, I wouldn't want to have to readjust it for the turn. I feel like you would never get it all the way out. However, overall I like it with the turn. I think it adds a great dimension to the hat, makes it much more "hero like". If (more like when) I spring for the 40th I'll definitely have Michelle put the turn in. Hopefully the exchange rate goes down by then.
Yea, this is what I love about the turn and every picture I see with the turn looks like THE hat to me. She just made me a little gun-shy when she mentioned that to get the best result, she recommends putting the turn in myself to best match my face/head. I'm probably overthinking this way too much. You all made me feel much more comfortable about this, I'm going to place more order right now! Thanks everyone!
I'm not a turn guy myself, but it's true that the best result is DIY. It just has to do with everyone's skull being shaped differently.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

I must have gotten lucky as she put mine in and it looks fantastic. No DIY needed.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I don’t think getting a turn put in by her would be bad, but putting it in yourself would be good for your own personal preference.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Trust in Michelle. She is meticulous when it comes to shaping a hat. Speaking from experience, I would have zero hesitation in letting her put the turn in.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

I will point out that mine was semi-custom as I have a very large head-size and she needed to order a longer sweatband and deep sable beaver felt I believe(?). I had sent her plenty of photos of me from all angles. The more info she has, the better. Bespoke haberdashery at it's best.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I asked HJ about the 40th anniversary, they said COVID has slowed down the supplies. Also, I thought it was interesting that they kept referring to it as a package rather than a hat. Maybe this means there will be some extra goodies included, akin to an ABL?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

IJJTM wrote:I asked HJ about the 40th anniversary, they said COVID has slowed down the supplies. Also, I thought it was interesting that they kept referring to it as a package rather than a hat. Maybe this means there will be some extra goodies included, akin to an ABL?
Well, when I mentioned hat boxes a few pages back, we did get this tease:
I hope I will have good news to bring you all on that front very soon.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Here’s hoping. \:D/
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The thing about the turn is that it's highly dependent on the wearer's head shape. The more long oval your head the less of a turn you should probably put in it. That's why I always go open crown and do it myself. I have a very long oval skull and 20+ years ago when I got my first true Indy hat I put too much turn in and wound up looking like Jed Clampett. Even my first Penman had too much turn, so I have to specify a half-turn -- I wish John would ship open crown again, but he hasn't for a long time. Michelle knows all about it, so as people have said, the more info the hatter has about your head the better.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Good to know. I had a Garrison with the turn in it and for some reason I never liked the way it sat on my head! I probably have a bit of an oval head and it never sat well with me. I don't like the turn anyways...to each his own! :D
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

jlee562 wrote:
IJJTM wrote:I asked HJ about the 40th anniversary, they said COVID has slowed down the supplies. Also, I thought it was interesting that they kept referring to it as a package rather than a hat. Maybe this means there will be some extra goodies included, akin to an ABL?
Well, when I mentioned hat boxes a few pages back, we did get this tease:
I hope I will have good news to bring you all on that front very soon.
Here's hoping! Never realized the difference that a hat box could make until I got the box with my ABL CS. Game changer.

This may be unrelated, but I remember speaking with Michelle about hat boxes awhile back. I recall her saying that she had been looking at some samples but hadn't yet gotten any approval, etc. I didn't think much of it at the time, but hearing this news about a "package" makes me think that maybe there's a connection. :-k
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indiana_Nate wrote:
Here's hoping! Never realized the difference that a hat box could make until I got the box with my ABL CS. Game changer.

This may be unrelated, but I remember speaking with Michelle about hat boxes awhile back. I recall her saying that she had been looking at some samples but hadn't yet gotten any approval, etc. I didn't think much of it at the time, but hearing this news about a "package" makes me think that maybe there's a connection. :-k
What makes you say that boxes are a game changer?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

A decent hat box can be fairly expensive. And having one on hand to store a hat even for short periods goes a long way in maintenance. Having a good box, and thematically appropriate especially in the case of the ABL, is one of the things that set a Penman apart and made the premium pricing worth it. The HJ is such a good quality hat that it really should be part of the package.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I'm hoping it won't push up the price too much.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Totally agree on 'game changer' comment, as my HJ showed up in a rather beat up cardboard box....nothing that a truly premium hat should EVER be stored in.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Don't want to get too far afield in this thread, but I've been using boxes from Sarah's Hat Boxes for years and love them. In fact, I have to order two more. They aren't inexpensive, but for a hat that costs several hundred dollars, I think they are a worthwhile investment.

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/#sthash.Sot1U2Jp.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can select from their XXXL hat boxes (come with a cord) or round boxes (no cord) work great for Indy fedoras. I have a plastic hat stand inside the box like one of these. https://www.thehatco.com/Professional_R ... ingle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Works like a charm.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Don't want to get too far afield in this thread, but I've been using boxes from Sarah's Hat Boxes for years and love them. In fact, I have to order two more. They aren't inexpensive, but for a hat that costs several hundred dollars, I think they are a worthwhile investment.

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/#sthash.Sot1U2Jp.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can select from their XXXL hat boxes (come with a cord) or round boxes (no cord) work great for Indy fedoras. I have a plastic hat stand inside the box like one of these. http://www.thehatco.com/Professional_Re" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ingle.html Works like a charm.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks for this info, very helpful. I couldn’t get the hatstand link to work, but will really consider the boxes. Do they come with inserts? Can’t tell from website.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Does she provide the boxes for Penman? I can see that she does some Ab ones.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

According to a post by binkmeisterRick back in 2011, the answer is yes:
The fedora also came in the beautiful hat box made specifically for John by Sarah's Hatboxes. This is no wimpy box! It is heavy, sturdy, and covered in a nice black leatherette material. The Penman logo is nicely silkscreened on top. I wish all my hat boxes could be this nice.
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... es#p739848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I fixed the link for the hat stands.

The Sarah's hat boxes do not come with an insert, but I personally wouldn't want one. Placing a hat upside down into an insert with the weight of the hat putting pressure on the top of the brim seems unnatural to me. I know, hats have been stored like this since forever.

That's why I prefer the hat stand. The hat sits on the stand with the pressure on the sweatband which to me is the most natural place for the weight of the hat to rest.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I forgot about her. The shop is about 30min from me.
I’ve probably ridden by more than a few times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

FIELD TRIP!!!! \:D/
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I fixed the link for the hat stands.

The Sarah's hat boxes do not come with an insert, but I personally wouldn't want one. Placing a hat upside down into an insert with the weight of the hat putting pressure on the top of the brim seems unnatural to me. I know, hats have been stored like this since forever.

That's why I prefer the hat stand. The hat sits on the stand with the pressure on the sweatband which to me is the most natural place for the weight of the hat to rest.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I have wondered about this.... :-k
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

IIRC, Sarah's is the Penman supplier. The one I have from Penman is a very early iteration, so I don't know if they are still making them in this exact fashion; but, with the insert I have, the tubular portion is flush with the flat portion resulting in insert that would flatten out the flange over time. I flipped it over and put some tissue over the hard edge of the poster board and used one of the foam rings that comes with new hats to store in that particular box.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

She’s in my back yard or technically front yard as the crow flys.
Always wanted take a trip to check the place out.
I have two hat boxes from Penman. Most of lids are displayed and I try to rotate them as much as possible.

Croft :whip:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

While I am thrilled about the idea of a 40th Anniversary tribute offering, I really wish it were available in all options like deep sable and beaver.

I wonder, do we expect this to be a fully licensed piece?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Doubtful. Unless they pay big bucks to LFL for licensing, they won’t be, and LFL wants a lot for the use of their name.

Regards! Michaelson
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

They may make it deep sable, as they have said that is the color they believe was actually used. HJ thinks normal Sable was just how it appeared onscreen, like Han Solo's ESB jacket, where it was black but looked blue.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

IJJTM wrote:
Indiana_Nate wrote:

What makes you say that boxes are a game changer?
I would say that it's a game changer in the sense that it elevates the "owning experience" of a handmade hat. It just seems more proper, and also more suitable as a long term storage solution. A cardboard box is a cardboard box, and, as Michaelson stated, they can get banged up in transit. The 'Sarah's Hat Boxes' that John uses are very well made and look great. I'm looking into ordering more for my other hats. Mine does have the insert, and I didn't really think too much of it until seeing Indiana Jeff's suggestion about the hat stands. Might have to go that route as well.

A licensed offering would be nice, but I feel like it would then be a Dorfman Pacific rather than a Herbert Johnson...
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

I do like the dark purple lining that one member posted a few pages back.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

My Herbert Johnson came in! I only had to modify it a bit but #### it’s crazy good.
Definitely would agree it’s the new holy grail

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

thecoolmiester, that looks awesome. Is it rabbit or Beaver?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Dang, that looks awesome Miester. I’ll definitely start putting money down for one soon.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

jgino wrote:thecoolmiester, that looks awesome. Is it rabbit or Beaver?
It’s all rabbit! But the felt is quite high quality than any of the other rabbit felt hats I have.
It’s got the perfect amount of flop and doesn’t seem to have much stiffener which probably plays into its great feel and slight flop.

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

IJJTM wrote:Dang, that looks awesome Miester. I’ll definitely start putting money down for one soon.
Yes! Worth it for sure.
I had to move the pinch just a tad since I needed a bit more turn for the Cairo look but having to do so made the pinch look exactly how I wanted so it worked out.
Michelle still nails the detail for sure, but always needs a bit of work once you have a chance to get it on the head. ImageImage

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Looks terrific, Coolmeister.

Gee, I wish they'd offer the 40th Anniversary Raiders in all felts and colors instead of only sable.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Hedji, nothing has been confirmed as of yet, so for all we know it may be in multiple colors.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

That does look awesome.
Now I’m on the fence. Was looking into a aDvintsge SoC, he has a nice mushroom look.

But you have a winner.

Croft :mrgreen:
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

Post by thecoolmiester »

Indiana Croft wrote:That does look awesome.
Now I’m on the fence. Was looking into a aDvintsge SoC, he has a nice mushroom look.

But you have a winner.

Thank you!
I love this hat and would recommend. I did have to make minor tweaks and the way I put in the dent on the bow side gave it more mushroom.
I will soon have the advantage SoC with a shortened crown that I ordered in December so I could do a side by side for ya ImageImage

jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Looks like June is going to be an expensive month, between the HJ 40th anniversary hat and the 4K release that was just announced.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

thecoolmiester wrote:

But you have a winner.

Thank you!
I love this hat and would recommend. I did have to make minor tweaks and the way I put in the dent on the bow side gave it more mushroom.
I will soon have the advantage SoC with a shortened crown that I ordered in December so I could do a side by side for ya ImageImage

Please do as this is a comparison I'd like to see. AdVintage is so much more reasonable in price...is the HJ better, that much better? I look forward to reading your thoughts.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

IndianaJustin wrote:
thecoolmiester wrote:

But you have a winner.

Thank you!

Please do as this is a comparison I'd like to see. AdVintage is so much more reasonable in price...is the HJ better, that much better? I look forward to reading your thoughts.
Will do!
I just got an email Monday from advantage that my hat shipped so should be able to compare very soon.

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

thecoolmeister, looks awesome. Love that snap down brim. I really can’t say enough good things about Michelle and HJ (as I’ve said so often on here) the softness and pliability of the rabbit is truly top notch and it has held its shape through almost everything I’ve put it through. I have at least 2 more HJ’s on my short list at the moment.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Posted on Instagram:

Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Just saw this, getting excited now!!!
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

What could they possibly do for the 40th anniversary hat? Anyone care to speculate?
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

There have been rumors that it will be a "Streets of Cairo" styled Poet. I can't see it being officially licensed, because I just do not think that HJ is going to pay Lucasfilm the fee to use the name and logo (unless the hat will be ungodly expensive). Beyond that, maybe a special head lining and sweatband, perhaps with some sort of anniversary embossing. Michelle has remained pretty tight-lipped about it, but I know sourcing of materials was affected by COVID so I could also see it being some sort of special felt, perhaps beaver since this will be a limited edition. Doesn't speak to screen accuracy but it seems to fit a hat that is an anniversary piece and limited edition.