Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Is Herbert Johnson the holy grail of indy fedoras now?

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Indiana Nate, I feel like we're bad for each other. I blame you entirely for my HJ purchase, so if you end up buying a third HJ, that's oddly poetic karma, baby! ;)

Nevermind that'll probably put me in line after you put out another persuasive review, but I digress!

And for those that asked for it, I'll point you here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_kdJMAphpF/?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the nice things about HJ is that they professionally photograph their hats before shipping them out, so there's shots of the fedora better than anything I could take!
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Brace yourself Castor, #3 is ordered, and I am now anxiously awaiting those first creation pics from Michelle. =P~ Poetic indeed, my friend, poetic indeed! :TOH: I spent the better part of the day yesterday corresponding with Michelle on how I want it to look. Something about ordering a new hat makes me giddy as a schoolboy.

Here are some links to my hats as well:

Raiders Poet
https://www.instagram.com/p/B40EeWDpqC-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5p5eD2JH_8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clipper Poet
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7oCvQZpBRM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9REDqqpI-9/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Always comes down to capturing the look and quality of construction... my favorite balance is S&J. The look is always right for my head and excellent quality. For whatever reason, and I’m far from an expert, Penmans always look too round on me, too wide. Beautiful, but not what I like. I’ve got some HJs from the late 80s, early 90s that are awfully nice, but for wearers, S&J always feels like ‘my’ hat. I tried one of the new HJs a couple years ago when they first spun off, nice, and I thought good value, but I couldn’t get the bash to look the way I wanted and gave up.

Funny enough, I have a Christies that I bashed that still looks the beans and I think it was only $120 or so, so hard to predict. Everybody’s heads vary enough to make capturing the look tricky. I for one need the tallest crown I can get or the center bash gets bumped up when I position it correctly. Harrison has a bit less distance from eyebrows to top of head than me.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Well, the Crusade Poet has arrived, and she is spectacular! When I initially emailed Michelle, I decided to take a page out of Castor Dioscuri's playbook and go for a specific scene look for the hat. I opted for a balance between the Venice pier and the motorcycle chase, two scenes that I felt best showcased the "cowboy curl" and the swoop that the Crusade hat is known for. We traded photos to achieve the perfect look, and then the master got to work.

As always, Michelle is an absolute joy to work with. She kept me informed every step of the way, and emailed me photos from the rough, untreated felt, to the spectacular end product. Personally, I love seeing how things are made, and knowing that it is my hat that I am seeing adds so much more value to the end product. It also makes the already incredibly short wait time for a bespoke hat that much shorter.

The first thing I noticed right out of the box was the rich, chocolate color; distinctly darker than the Raiders Poet. The felt is of the same texture as my Raiders and Clipper Poets, slightly scratchy, yet supple, and it fits like a glove. One of the things I love most about these HJs is the fact that they fit so well and are so comfortable that I forget that they are on my head. I also went for a bit of personalization on this hat with initials and the purple lining, which is absolutely beautiful. Out of curiosity, I went back to reference the photos in our email chain and, just as I expected, every nuance was accounted for. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but Michelle, Mel, and the team at HJ are masters of their craft, and the customer service that they provide is only eclipsed by the quality of the product that they create. Both are off the charts!

Here are all 3 side by side (Raiders, Clipper, Crusade)

Other pics
https://imgur.com/gallery/Eer5KTh

Link to HJ's Instagram post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAsAgm_pDDf/

Cheers!
Nate
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Beautiful! Nice choice of liner. Looks great on you. Perfection. :TOH:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

All beautiful hats, Indiana Nate!

I just wish I could afford an HJ, but out of my reach :(
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Tibor, I know exactly where you're coming from, and I totally agree. When you find what works, you gotta stick to it. HJ works great for me, but I would definitely like to add an Explorador to my collection at some point. I have heard nothing but good things about S&J, and I have been very impressed with everything that I have seen from them. Their LC jacket is on my short list. I hear you on the Christie's though, too. I have a Fed IV that I bashed that is a darn fine hat as well!

Thank you, Forrest and Howard for the kind words! :TOH: I think I'm starting to develop a hat addiction... :lol:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Just looking at those photos from HJ again, Nate. That purple liner against their blue logo is pretty slick. Love it!
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Just looking at those photos from HJ again, Nate. That purple liner against their blue logo is pretty slick. Love it!
Thanks, Forrest! I'm a little obsessed with this hat, not going to lie. I spend almost as much time admiring the inside of the hat as I do the outside. Just when I think Michelle can't impress me any more, she goes and raises the bar even higher. Just the other day I saw a post from HJ on a bow that Michelle was working on, getting the creases and the lines just right based off of a still from LC. Out of curiosity I took a look at the bow on my hat and it was spot on. My mind was blown. I think that I'm pretty detail oriented and I never thought to look at that.

HJ posted this video today. Just further proof at how dedicated Michelle is.
https://youtu.be/WFiBWKmRAKM

Cheers!
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

Well as you can certainly see that opinions are in no shortage. Ultimately at least for me Herbert Johnson is indeed the Holy Grail as far as the older Indiana Jones movies go. They made them originally and made a lot of them. That is not to say that the other manufacturers are not equal and just as good. However, if you are looking for one that was made by the very same company then Herbert Johnson of Swaine Adeney Brigg is the way to go!

Michelle at Herbert Johnson custom made my hat. I wanted whatever Harrison wore for the Indiana Jones franchise and that is exactly what I received! Luckily I am the same height and hat size as Harrison Ford. Weight? Not so much anymore as I have become older. lol. :TOH:

The idea of the Holy Grail I find to be more subjective and relative to each person. To me it was simply about purchasing the hat from where it was first and originally made, for others it's more about as they described. It is an arguable topic. No matter where you buy it as far as all the places mentioned here. You WILL most certainly find the hat for you! Sometimes they are starter hats that are quite similar and more affordable, and sometimes they are horribly more expensive, etc. All these hats are amazing and the quality and craftsmanship are beyond amazing and will illicit a response from others when observed as you are wearing the iconic hat.

We, meaning all of us here are not just fans but have made this a way of life and we are keeping the franchise alive and going by honoring the look and as one gentlemen pointed out. When you reach my age, you just don't care what others think. You just enjoy the hat and if others are noticed admiring it then all the better! :TOH:

Here is the receipt below from immediately after purchase from Herbert Johnson

Here is a screen capture of the inside of the sweatband and you can see the custom gold inlay I commissioned. I think that you will approve. ($10.00 per letter addition). The original Indiana Jones hat had gold inlay with the initials "I.J." short for Indiana Jones.

Here is the backside of the sweatband

Here is the inside of my Herbert Johnson Beaver Poet.

Here is a broad view of the bottom and inside of my Raider's Poet

Top view of Raider's Poet

Side view of the bow

Rear view

Front view

My hat size is 59.5 cm which I was told by the manager making my hat is the same exact size as Harrison Ford. I thought the crown seemed a bit high but it is a crown height of 5½ inches at a size 59cm. Brim: Dimensional (2¾" front & back, 2 ⅝" on sides) and the Ribbon: Original 1½ inch dark brown galloon ribbon-band with screen accurate Raiders bow style. These are all on their website and was confirmed by Michelle Poyer-Sleeman, Civilian Hatting Department Manager at Herbert Johnson Hatters.

The crown seems a bit high, but it isn't, it's accurate down to the letter however on your head it looks different. If you wear it Military style such as the brim one finger above the eyebrow you have a more serious look and the crown looks quite tall and you even look more serious, however if you take your index finger and push it up to about three or four fingers above your eyebrows the crown appears smaller and you have more of a cool and relaxed even friendlier kind of look to you.

When I had originally ordered this lovely hat it took a little over a month from Herbert Johnson, made in Beaver instead of Rabbit and did it take forever. Took more time to get from U.S. Customs and U.S. Fish and Wildlife than to make it

I hope this response as well as the response of others has better helped you to decide what kind of hat and where you want your hat made and/or bought from. So much to choose from and tons of great advice. The perfect hat is out there. Just a matter of where you want to buy it and have it made. No matter what or where your decision takes you, one thing is for sure. You will have a truly outstanding and most certainly well made and recognizable hat the world over.

Oh and the stories that you can and will tell of your adventures. The hat itself tells a story without you ever having to utter a single word.

Cheers to you and all of us Indiana Jones fans! :TOH:
Last edited by Indiana Jack! on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

She sure is a beauty. Fantastic review and perspective, thanks for sharing!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Very nice. Congrats!
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, HJ is running a 10% off sale through August, and I'll take any discount I can get (my mother did not raise me to pay full price retail, lol). So I finally took the plunge and put my money where my mouth is. If y'all are following HJ on Facebook, Michelle recently posted a video talking about their two new felts. The new Deep Sable hoods are 10gr lighter per body, and felted denser. Well, lighter and denser are the magic words as far as I'm concerned. The color was matched to a Ca. 1984 HJ, which is coincidentally the year I was born.

Of course I will share pictures when it arrives, but the Open Crown Crusade hat online currently shows the Deep Sable color.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

jlee562 wrote:Well, HJ is running a 10% off sale through August, and I'll take any discount I can get (my mother did not raise me to pay full price retail, lol). So I finally took the plunge and put my money where my mouth is. If y'all are following HJ on Facebook, Michelle recently posted a video talking about their two new felts. The new Deep Sable hoods are 10gr lighter per body, and felted denser. Well, lighter and denser are the magic words as far as I'm concerned. The color was matched to a Ca. 1984 HJ, which is coincidentally the year I was born.

Of course I will share pictures when it arrives, but the Open Crown Crusade hat online currently shows the Deep Sable color.
Congrats on taking the plunge! The photos (which are great) do not do the Deep Sable justice. It is truly magnificent in person. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers
Nate
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

I'm curious to see how these new felts are. I've been leery about the HJ reboot the past few years -- I had a HJ Poet years ago and let's just say it wasn't good and wasn't worth the money. My Akubras and basically any other hat I've had was better. And I don't really love the color offering of the Raiders right now; it's too light IMO. Has a putrid tone to it. I'll wait and see and possibly order one open crowned one day.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

The reboot should not be judged by the standards of the pre-reboot hats. Those were, as confirmed by Michelle elsewhere on COW, the ones being bought in from Christy's and sold under the HJ label.

The reboot HJs are made using felt from FEPSA in Portugal, who is arguably the best felter left in the world. They exclusively supply Optimo, for example, and those hats retail for over 1k. I have an unblocked 100% FEPSA beaver hood in hand for an upcoming hat build that's making me especially excited to see the difference between it and HJ's lighter, denser, "Deep Sable" felt. But the raw materials HJ is currently working with are top notch, and from the pictures I've seen, the worksmanship (workwomenship?) appears to be in line with any other custom hatter.

If you'd like to see a video of how this felt creases, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3njc_AK52BA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Those are some amazing fedoras. I had a cheap look-a-like a dozen years ago and have wanted the real deal so many times. The unfortunate issue to me is that I just don't have any practical reason for a fedora. My daily wear is does go well (at all) with one. I have a lamb-skin Wested ROL made for me in 2004 and a TN made for me back in 2008 that still get some use. My Alden's get worn a few times a week when it's not to hot, but a fedora just doesn't work. Do any of you wear them out and about or just for special occasions? I may still pull the trigger just to have one. They are good looking accesories. Both my grandfathers wore them at various times and had several styles (think back to Tom Landry from the Dallas Cowboys). One of them had an amazing Panama made custom for him in the late 70's. :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Has anyone noticed any shrinkage in their HJ hats? I’m thinking about getting one and wasn’t sure if I should get a bigger size.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I finally got to wear mine out yesterday for some socially distant "adventuring" - by which I mean an Adventureland themed dinner. I'm loving this hat so far!
HerbertJohnson_small.jpg
IJJTM wrote:Has anyone noticed any shrinkage in their HJ hats? I’m thinking about getting one and wasn’t sure if I should get a bigger size.
I haven't had mine long enough yet to say whether or not it shrinks, but I unintentionally ordered mine a half size too large, and that may be the way to go, honestly. With a little piece of foam in there, it fits just perfectly, and if it DOES shrink, I can just pull that foam out and hopefully be back to normal.
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

Tell me more about this Adventureland themed dinner! Sounds interesting and fun! :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana Jack! wrote:Tell me more about this Adventureland themed dinner! Sounds interesting and fun! :TOH:
We just had dinner and Kona beer (or gin and tonic) at a big outdoor table and we wore Adventureland themed clothes! :lol:

There were only 3 of us that were guests, but one wore a Jungle Cruise dress, someone had a skipper hat and vintage inspired outfit, and I did some Indy gear with the added British net scarf and some gaiters.
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

Most excellent! You need more company! I expect invites for all of us here next time! lol. :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana Jack! wrote:Most excellent! You need more company! I expect invites for all of us here next time! lol. :TOH:
It might be hard to social distance if I invite EVERYONE! :o :lol:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

So going back to the original question, I'm waffling between a Penman and a Herbert Johnson. Based on the love in the last few posts, I'm assuming that HJ is the current darling? I know that Penman's can take a beating and keep on ticking (special thread?). How does the HJ compare in ruggedness? I try to live that adventure life myself. :lol:
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Ranger36 wrote:So going back to the original question, I'm waffling between a Penman and a Herbert Johnson. Based on the love in the last few posts, I'm assuming that HJ is the current darling? I know that Penman's can take a beating and keep on ticking (special thread?). How does the HJ compare in ruggedness? I try to live that adventure life myself. :lol:
I don't own a true "bulldog tough" Penman, but I do own an Everyman and an AB Legacy CS due in November. I will be very interested to see how it measures up. Either way, I don't think you can make a wrong decision. With that said, I absolutely LOVE my HJs. And when I say I live in my HJs, I mean I live in them. I have been on numerous hikes, kayaking, dog walking, brushing my teeth, sitting on the couch, etc. in all kinds of weather (short of a torrential downpour) in them and they have held up beautifully. All I do is give them a good "post-adventure" brushing and they're back to looking brand new.

As far as sizing goes, I have not had one bit of shrinkage or taper. I have had my Raiders Poet the longest and it has fit like a glove from the minute I first put it on my head. I was a bit unsure on sizing when placing my initial order, but Michelle, HJ's master hatter, talked me through it and she was right on the money. The felts that she is using are top-notch, and she's still making improvements. I'm currently sitting with 3 HJs and I can't rule out getting a 4th. Hope this helps!
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indiana_Nate wrote:
Ranger36 wrote:So going back to the original question, I'm waffling between a Penman and a Herbert Johnson. Based on the love in the last few posts, I'm assuming that HJ is the current darling? I know that Penman's can take a beating and keep on ticking (special thread?). How does the HJ compare in ruggedness? I try to live that adventure life myself. :lol:
I don't own a true "bulldog tough" Penman, but I do own an Everyman and an AB Legacy CS due in November. I will be very interested to see how it measures up. Either way, I don't think you can make a wrong decision. With that said, I absolutely LOVE my HJs. And when I say I live in my HJs, I mean I live in them. I have been on numerous hikes, kayaking, dog walking, brushing my teeth, sitting on the couch, etc. in all kinds of weather (short of a torrential downpour) in them and they have held up beautifully. All I do is give them a good "post-adventure" brushing and they're back to looking brand new.

As far as sizing goes, I have not had one bit of shrinkage or taper. I have had my Raiders Poet the longest and it has fit like a glove from the minute I first put it on my head. I was a bit unsure on sizing when placing my initial order, but Michelle, HJ's master hatter, talked me through it and she was right on the money. The felts that she is using are top-notch, and she's still making improvements. I'm currently sitting with 3 HJs and I can't rule out getting a 4th. Hope this helps!
Have you noticed shrinkage in your Everyman? Because I’m not sure if I have that problem, or if the hat came smaller than advertised.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, I've only had mine for a week, so obviously can't comment on long term durability. But the beaver felt is a very substantial, dense felt, that feels a touch heavier than some of my other dress weight felts.

As others have commented, dealing with Michelle and the HJ team was a breeze. I had a few questions about the graduated crown heights and they got back to me quickly. I was interested in the deep sable felt, but it ended up only being available in rabbit felt. I may have dodged a bullet with that one though, a few of the deep sable hats posted to insta have some weird mottling in parts of the felt.

Anyhow, I opted for the standard sable beaver felt. I briefly considered the clipper grey beaver, because that felt looks gorgeous, but of course the hat won out. I'm a size 7/56cm, so the open crown height on this size is around 5 1/8" according to Michelle. I thought this might be too short, but with the profile of the crown, it works out quite well. I think a more traditionally sized hat with a height of 5 1/2" would have been too tall for me with this block.

The sweatband is well seated, the tacking stiches are nice and clean. I will say John Penman probably wins best tacking stiches though. I somehow never noticed that the purple liners are pleated on the top seam. I don't think I've seen this on any other modern hat and it's a very classy detail. I opted for no turn. My only gripe is that it doesn't come with a hat box....not that I have room for more boxes, but at that price point...

Anyhow, I am super pleased. The side profile really sells me on the current HJ block. Here's a side by side with a Well of Souls screencap
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

jlee562 wrote:Well, I've only had mine for a week, so obviously can't comment on long term durability. But the beaver felt is a very substantial, dense felt, that feels a touch heavier than some of my other dress weight felts. As others have commented, dealing with Michelle and the HJ team was a breeze.
That's a beautiful hat! I got the beaver felt on mine too, and you're right that it's a pretty substantial felt. It certainly seems sturdy. Good choice on the purple liner too! You have good taste!

I didn't think of a hat box, but I kept the plastic bag that mine came with, and I leave mine in the bag on a hat stand when I'm not wearing it, so it holds its shape and keeps the dust off.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Mine just came in a cardboard box when I got it, so it's all over the place, isn't it? ;)

I got mine when Jack Crud was there and HJ was just restarting the bespoke shop, so things have definitely changed. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Agree that at that price point it should include a nice HJ box and some HJ swag. When you buy a pair of Aldens, it comes with some nice extras. Hat looks very nice. Time to give it some character! Cheers.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson wrote:Mine just came in a cardboard box when I got it, so it's all over the place, isn't it? ;)

I got mine when Jack Crud was there and HJ was just restarting the bespoke shop, so things have definitely changed. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Mine was just a cardboard box too, but it was in a clear plastic bag inside the box. Definitely not anything swanky as far as packaging goes. I wonder if you bought one in the shop if they would just hand you a hat or if there's nicer packaging for in-store purchases. :-k
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Welp, this thread has convinced me and I just put down the money for a beaver Raiders in the deep sable color. I have a larger than average head and after a very nice conversation with Michelle, I knew she'd be able to get it right. They are currently out of the deep sable beaver so I'm having to wait until October but I'm not in any rush. I was slightly concerned with the "weird mottling" comment but Michelle assuaged my fears and with a new run of felt there shouldn't be a problem.

jlee562, I am curious where you saw the mottling because Michelle said she wasn't sure what that meant.

Also, is the purple lining something one has to request? Does it cost extra?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Ranger36 wrote:Also, is the purple lining something one has to request? Does it cost extra?
It didn't cost any extra for me, but I did have to request it. I did place an order for a custom / bespoke hat, because they don't typically offer the Last Crusade hat in the beaver felt, but I don't think that having a custom order inherently cost anything extra either, other than paying for the more expensive felt.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Ranger36 wrote:Welp, this thread has convinced me and I just put down the money for a beaver Raiders in the deep sable color. I have a larger than average head and after a very nice conversation with Michelle, I knew she'd be able to get it right. They are currently out of the deep sable beaver so I'm having to wait until October but I'm not in any rush. I was slightly concerned with the "weird mottling" comment but Michelle assuaged my fears and with a new run of felt there shouldn't be a problem.

jlee562, I am curious where you saw the mottling because Michelle said she wasn't sure what that meant.

Yes, you will have to request the purple lining (they also have an olive green color), but it should not cost extra. The only "add on" that I know of that costs extra is the embossing on the sweatband. My LC is rabbit deep sable so I'm very interested to see what it will look like in beaver with the Raiders cut/bash, so definitely post pictures! I also think you will also be very surprised how quickly you will receive it once the felt is back in stock. Congrats! :TOH:
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Agree that at that price point it should include a nice HJ box and some HJ swag. When you buy a pair of Aldens, it comes with some nice extras. Hat looks very nice. Time to give it some character! Cheers.
I've spoken to Michelle about hat storage and she said that it is something that they have been working on. May have something to do with the approval process from Swaine Adeney & Brigg in terms of cost and availability, but don't quote me on that. When I purchased my Raiders Poet in fall of last year I did so through the SA&B site because the dedicated HJ site was not up and running yet. Now it is and the offerings have grown quite a bit, even beyond that of just the Indy Poets. I suspect that if the bespoke business continues to grow, which I have no doubt that it will, we will start to see some additional offerings when it comes to hat care, etc. That's just my two cents on the matter. :)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Ranger36 wrote:Welp, this thread has convinced me and I just put down the money for a beaver Raiders in the deep sable color. I have a larger than average head and after a very nice conversation with Michelle, I knew she'd be able to get it right. They are currently out of the deep sable beaver so I'm having to wait until October but I'm not in any rush. I was slightly concerned with the "weird mottling" comment but Michelle assuaged my fears and with a new run of felt there shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEXchHHJCTE ... 3vwh6b5h94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one has a line on the top edge of the crown perpendicular to the ribbon

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEEztlPpa9d ... 5a8dazh15o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one has some splotchiness towards the back of the crown

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEEunF-pdzm ... tfix3bdzm4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Light spot around the pinch, more splotchiness of the back

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDL71wyJXMO ... 9h20efetfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few light spots above the ribbon.

Ideally, dye concentration should be even., but I keep noticing these spots on the dark sable hats.
NoBadDates
Vendor

Post by NoBadDates »

Hello lovely people!
Just catching up with the conversation and wanted to say thank you for the kind words and honest commentary here. I always really appreciate feedback. Without that conversation I would be much more in the dark in terms of pushing what I do forward and making changes and improvements.
Off the back of some comments here about felt texture looking strange in some of the photography I looked into what could be the issue with my colleague. Textured dark surfaces are proving very difficult to light effectively with our current set up, twinned with I suspect the spray I use on each hat before I let them dry and pack for shipping needed more time to fully dry on a couple of occasions. So I am planning how to change the order and timings of booking photography, the set up and the lighting is being experimented with so we can more effectively showcase the darker felts especially. Keep your eyes peeled for those improvements.
In terms of hat boxes - wow what an adventure that has been so far! I hope I will have good news to bring you all on that front very soon.
I am now heading over to find out some advice from you lovely people on where to source a pair of good looking Indy gloves for my little hands.
Fortune and Glory my friends!
:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A good storage box would be a definite plus, Michelle! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Thanks Michelle! Can't wait for my deep sable Raiders and for everything else you have in the pipeline!
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Oooh, hat box tease!

Thanks for the update, Michelle, I think it's safe to say that we all appreciate your connection to the fan community.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Which films are their sable and deep sable felt colors accurate to? I'm colorblind, and I can't tell too well.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Which HJ to get the Raiders look? Sable Rabbit? Deep Sable Rabbit? Was the original beaver or rabbit? Or is beaver just a nice upgrade in feel?

Right now I have an Akubra Fed IV from about 2008 era.... I don't like it because it's too big for me. What should I expect from an upgrade to a HJ with a nice Raiders turn?
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

HJ Sable Rabbit is what the original one was which is what I bought however I did upgrade mine to Beaver which is incredibly soft and looks and feels just perfect. The great thing about Beaver is it will last about 60 years if taken care of or maybe longer and is water resistant. Really is worth the extra money just for those two reasons and it doesn't affect the look of the original hat in any way.

Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Thank you Indiana Jack!

So the regular Sable is the more accurate color. I do feel like my Akubra is too dark, so I appreciate the help.

I will consider the Beaver. That is some serious change, but the hat would outlive me. I wonder if my sole heir has the same hat size as me? :mrgreen: :)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Dark Sable was matched as close as possible to an LC era hat that was loaned to the current team at HJ. You can read more here: https://herbertjohnson.co.uk/blogs/jour ... n-indy-fan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just recently wore my beaver HJ in its first rain and it shrugged it off admirably. Though I haven't owned it too long, I don't expect to have any issues. The felt is very substantial.

It is for sure on the pricey side, but I'm super pleased.
Smithy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Smithy »

Cracking looking hat JLee, absolutely stunning. And it's shrugged off that rain like water off a duck's back.

I'm planning on picking up a new lid in the new year and was planning another Akubra but these HJs have really whet my whistle :TOH:
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIXkwZnroil ... _copy_link" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On HJ’s Instagram they are doing a 250 pound gift card giveaway, which would pay for most of a Rabbit hat, or for a little less than half of a Beaver Fedora. Thought you guys would be interested in this, and good luck to everyone I’m hoping a gear head ends up winning.
NoBadDates
Vendor

Post by NoBadDates »

IJJTM wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/CIXkwZnroil ... _copy_link

On HJ’s Instagram they are doing a 250 pound gift card giveaway, which would pay for most of a Rabbit hat, or for a little less than half of a Beaver Fedora. Thought you guys would be interested in this, and good luck to everyone I’m hoping a gear head ends up winning.
Good afternoon y'all! Hope I find you all happy and healthy and coping this December 2020.
Yes indeed HJ is running an Advent Campaign with our sister brands which has an offer every 24 hrs that lasts only 24hrs over on Instagram. It is worth checking out as there will be some Indy related offers coming. The one today for the £250 voucher is for an in store made 'The Gent' range hat which are trilby styles and caps and you get an entire 'Gent' hat outright with the voucher that you can choose from our London Shop. I have had words with the guy running the campaign over the wording as I feel it should have been clearer. Still a free HJ hat is a great competition to have a go at regardless I feel.

For those of you only interested in offers on Indy Poets then check in each day the Advent opens a new offer!

Seasons greetings to you all!

Michelle
x
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

ALWAYS happy to see you drop in Michelle! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Thank you for clearing things up Michelle, and I’m sorry for spreading misinformation.