Au naturale -- Hat without liner?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Au naturale -- Hat without liner?

Post by ijq8 »

Does anyone sport their fedora without a liner? I have to replace the ribbon on my Garrison (rabbit) and figure I have to remove liner to do it. I dread having to put this back in (replacing ribbon is scary enough for me). Is there any real benefit or detriments to not having a liner in a hat? Any testimonials out there? Thanks in advance :TOH:
Wojtek
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Au naturale -- Hat without liner?

Post by Wojtek »

I don't use a liner anymore in my fed IV. It always got dirty. During hot days I've noticed I feel better without it.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson has commented over the years that removing the liner can help a hat feel cooler. My only concern is oils from your head would be in direct contact with the felt without a liner.

You may be able to simply place the liner back in the hat tucking it behind the sweatband without having to sew it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It’s all I wear in Summer, unless I’m wearing my Tilley.

I have two AdventureBilts without liners, and even punched air vents with leather punches above the ribbon on both sides of the ribbon. Works very well and has for years and years! Literally!

I’ve even had both hats cleaned and reblocked multiple times and no problem!

Never EVER had a problem regarding contact of head oils (and I live in hot humid south central Tennessee) as that’s what your sweatband is for. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

FWIW, you don't really have to sew or glue the liner back in place. I have more than one hat with purposely removable liners.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

I agree with others here that you don't have sew a liner in place if you remove it and then want to put it back in. It can easily be tucked into place under the leather sweatband.

Or held in place a little more securely with a few dots of white glue, which hold the liner down but still allow it to be removed without damaging the felt.

I'm pretty sure all my Akubra hats have used white glue to tack the liner in place. I've carefully removed those by peeling the liner up without tearing the liner or hurting the felt.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Believe it or not, Akubra used to HOT glue their liners in. They stopped when we howled at them. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

Thanks to all you knowers of things. I didn't know you could just put the liner back in w/o sewing it, so that makes me feel a lot better. I don't get to wear everyday b/c of work, so not too concerned about oil from head/hair product residue, and since I'm a bit of hot head anyway, I'm going to give it a try w/out the lining. :lol: Thanks for the advice.
ijq8
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Michaelson wrote:Believe it or not, Akubra used to HOT glue their liners in. They stopped when we howled at them. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Hi, Michaelson -- I didn't know that. I just knew they were easy to peel out without damage to liner or hat.

I got my first Akubra around 2011 -- when did they stop hot-gluing the liners?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

About 2002. :-k
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Michaelson wrote:About 2002. :-k
Well before my time wearing these hats. Thanks to Michaelson and the gang for convincing Akubra to ditch the hot glue! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We ALSO hated the fact they changed the lining from red to white, even though it wasn't 'screen accurate'. That was BEAUTIFUL lining. :(

Regards! M
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Michaelson wrote:We ALSO hated the fact they changed the lining from red to white, even though it wasn't 'screen accurate'. That was BEAUTIFUL lining. :(

Regards! M
Wouldn’t a red liner make the hat hotter? :CR: ](*,)
Last edited by IndianaJustin on Fri May 29, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Uh..... :-k ....no.... #-o :lol: ;)

Regards! M