Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Re: Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:When I'm in Disney and wearing a custom Indy hat I keep a few of the makers business cards in my wallet. Helpful in case someone inquires! I've never had someone tell me theirs is the real deal if it is a Dorfman but I have had people ask and I give them a card. Whatever I can do to spread awareness of better hats, I'll do!
When wearing my AB at DW, I've never had anyone ask what it was, just if it was for sale. :-k

:lol:

Regard! Michaelson

Yea typically I get the where did you get it/are they for sale here type stuff. And usually only near the IJESS, or waiting around for a Monorail. Then I tell it's a real custom made Raiders hat etc and it they keep talking I give em a card. Usually its a "cool, sounds expensive" comment. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The longest conversation I had with someone my AB there was with one of the animators in one of the art stores. He was VERY interested, until he heard the price....then said there was no way he could convince his wife. :lol:

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:The longest conversation I had with someone my AB there was with one of the animators in one of the art stores. He was VERY interested, until he heard the price....then said there was no way he could convince his wife. :lol:

Regards! M

Wives, why did it have to be wives.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Michaelson wrote:It's a rare bird indeed who shows any interest in provenance or history of maker.....they just want to know if it's in their price range. :-k

Regards! M

Understood and agreed.

I had someone approach me in the lobby of a hotel in Boston who was interested in my Penman, but he said he had a number of hats and just got one from Optimo, so he was genuinely interested and understood what he was looking at. Then there was the guy here in Bakersfield who wondered whether my Penman was an Adventurebilt.

There have been a couple more over the years who either just wanted to know who made it, and did not ask price, or who reluctantly asked price and seemed un-phased by the answer, but for the most part my experience is the same. Most people don't ask because they don't care - which is fine by me. :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

ChrisMD wrote:
Michaelson wrote:The longest conversation I had with someone my AB there was with one of the animators in one of the art stores. He was VERY interested, until he heard the price....then said there was no way he could convince his wife. :lol:

Regards! M

Chances are most guys don't regularly wear a hat (cap doesn't count) and a wife can't see paying for something he won't wear often. So the trick is to buy a cheap not so great looking one like the Dorman wool IJ hat and wear it all the time. Over time the sun and especially rain will make the hat look even worse. She will begin to complain and say you need a nicer hat and that's when you convince her to buy it for you as a anniversary gift.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I wear my hats everyday in the Florida weather. Each day they look better. If they get to the point of looking like Fred Dobb's hat so be it.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

lantzn wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:

Regards! M

Chances are most guys don't regularly wear a hat (cap doesn't count) and a wife can't see paying for something he won't wear often. So the trick is to buy a cheap not so great looking one like the Dorman wool IJ hat and wear it all the time. Over time the sun and especially rain will make the hat look even worse. She will begin to complain and say you need a nicer hat and that's when you convince her to buy it for you as a anniversary gift.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. :TOH:
Caveat though is if she plays hardball and no hats at all. Not a cold war one wants to be in when she holds a nuke and you hold a water gun.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Jeremiah wrote:I wear my hats everyday in the Florida weather. Each day they look better. If they get to the point of looking like Fred Dobb's hat so be it.
You obviously haven't owned one of the cheap wool hats, they start to look like a brick of top ramen noodles when they get wet. It's not a pretty sight.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I have a dorfman pacific. It tapered just from sitting in my bedroom.
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

Jeremiah wrote:I have a dorfman pacific. It tapered just from sitting in my bedroom.
#-o
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

My Adventurebilt Raiders from around 2006 is still tough as nails. Click the thumbs to enlarge.

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

While not hat old, mine looks better and better. My AB beaver that is.
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

Bogie, have you ever had anything done to it as far as refurbishment?
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post your Adventurebilts here!

Post by Bogie1943 »

It has been blocked again since first arriving. The ribbon and sweatband are original. I'm not sure where the liner ended up haha. This hat has been with me through many adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I got my Raiders AB from Steve in Oct. 2008 I've worn it quite a bit since then... 11 trips to WDW, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands, and more local outings than I care to admit. Mind you I live in South East Florida where the sun and humidity are brutal, this hat is as sharp as the day I got it if not sharper since being broken in. I get compliments and questions all the time. :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

please read….

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

My Adventurebilt legacy by John Penman and my crystal skull Adventurebilt by Steve Delk

https://flic.kr/p/zCF7Dj
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Where are all those new ABDs at? Haven't seen any new ones posted in a while...!

And um... This is probably not related to the 'recent' ABD order that I'm waiting on... :anxious:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

http://www.facebook.com/penmanhats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I post them every time I finish a hat.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Thanks John, but I was referring to Marc's ABD's :D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Sorry, I read that wrong.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

It's been awhile since someone post his/her adventurebilt.

We need to rectify this ! ;)

erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... orhij.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david_h
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by david_h »

My AB has gotten plenty of use this spring.

zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Making the rounds at Disneyland Resort behind the Benz troop transport that's supposedly in Raiders.

adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

SpeedRcrX wrote:It's been awhile since someone post his/her adventurebilt.

We need to rectify this ! ;)

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, it was due the 6 week lead time this week, but haven't gotten any response from Steve. I like your glasses, they look like vintage Persol.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

These are the Oakley Madman.

Really cool glasses but, IMO, not as good as the Oakley Mars
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Well, I'm a techno-idiot or I'd post a pic of the beautiful LC Steve mailed me a few days ago. I guess by now a photo isn't really necessary to prove the awesomeness of one of SD's creations. You can take my word for it. :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

It's not only the hat but how it looks on a wearer. Everyone is different and it helps potential buyers decide which hat they might prefer or what adjustments to such hat they may want.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

lantzn wrote:It's not only the hat but how it looks on a wearer. Everyone is different and it helps potential buyers decide which hat they might prefer or what adjustments to such hat they may want.
As I said in my comment I don't know how to post a photo here because I'm challenged in that area obviously. I more or less posted about my new AB just to let old and new members know that Steve is still in business. After all there is 49 pages in this thread alone many of them with photos of people and their hats. If potential hat buyers are looking for reference I'm sure they wouldn't mind perusing the other pages. :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

anindyjones wrote:
lantzn wrote:It's not only the hat but how it looks on a wearer. Everyone is different and it helps potential buyers decide which hat they might prefer or what adjustments to such hat they may want.
As I said in my comment I don't know how to post a photo here because I'm challenged in that area obviously. I more or less posted about my new AB just to let old and new members know that Steve is still in business. After all there is 49 pages in this thread alone many of them with photos of people and their hats. If potential hat buyers are looking for reference I'm sure they wouldn't mind perusing the other pages. :TOH:
Depending on your device most photo apps allow you to save your photos to an online album, like Flickr, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. one the photo is save to your album you can view the image and copy it's web address at the top of your browser.
Then when replying in this forum you'll see a button labeled "Img" which when clicked on will provide this code "[img][img]". Just paste your photos web address between the center brackets, like this;

[img]http://www.yourphotoaddress.com[img]

Your photo will show up where this code is. Use the Preview button to see if it's working before you Submit it. Hope that helps, cheers :TOH:
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Image Image
My 2006 AB Ford Felt in Lithuania a few weeks ago. It's never had a re-block, or even been cleaned for that matter. The picture on the wooden head, the one on the right ;) , more accurately reflects the true color of the hat.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Indiana Blooze wrote:Image Image
My 2006 AB Ford Felt in Lithuania a few weeks ago. It's never had a re-block, or even been cleaned for that matter. The picture on the wooden head, the one on the right ;) , more accurately reflects the true color of the hat.
Great looking hat! I assume that's rabbit/hare felt? :TOH:
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

Gotta be beaver
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

I think that's beaver.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

I just got mine from Steve this past Wednesday it's pure beaver, I ordered because I couldn't wait 4 months for an Everyman and the weather was starting to get hot, the downside was it took 12 weeks instead of the 6 week lead time, but I'm just glad it arrived. Having own a Herbert Johnson from AdVintage Fedora it sure is a tad darker, but It looks just fine and since the sun is quite intense here it will turn the right color in no time; I asked Steve for an AB Pyramid Liner but it seems he didn't had any left, I think the hats looks more top-notch with it.

I'll post pics of me wearing it soon, I feel it needs more of a turn, will need help from you guys to decide.

Regards,

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Consider yourself fortunate to get the liner you did. I don't those are made anymore.

The color will definitely get better with age. It won't take long.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Congrats on the AB. I'm not sure where you are getting 4 months for the Everan Indy???
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

BendingOak wrote:Congrats on the AB. I'm not sure where you are getting 4 months for the Everan Indy???
Thanks John, about the date I was referring to the first run of hats date of pre-order to the ETA, don't want to mislead anyone.

Regards,
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Color of AB will WAY lighten with use. Seriously.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

anindyjones wrote:
Indiana Blooze wrote: My 2006 AB Ford Felt in Lithuania a few weeks ago. It's never had a re-block, or even been cleaned for that matter. The picture on the wooden head, the one on the right ;) , more accurately reflects the true color of the hat.
Great looking hat! I assume that's rabbit/hare felt? :TOH:
It is beaver. While I remember the sordid details of what happened, I don't remember the details surrounding Steve's sourcing of this felt. Maybe some one can help.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It is indeed a sordid tale of intrigue, lies, theft, and about an individual who was eventually and summarily banned from this site that we really can't discuss exactly WHAT happened by naming names.

Per the rules, we can't discuss banned individuals, so PLEASE don't ask for more details and derail this thread.

For those of us lucky few who were in the right place at the right time, we were able to obtain these hats from Steve .

The felt was a special order with Winchester Hat Co.

Here's that original offer he put out there in 2006 while this was going on, and before things hit the fan:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... =Ford+felt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

adiemilio wrote:I just got mine from Steve this past Wednesday it's pure beaver, I ordered because I couldn't wait 4 months for an Everyman and the weather was starting to get hot, the downside was it took 12 weeks instead of the 6 week lead time, but I'm just glad it arrived. Having own a Herbert Johnson from AdVintage Fedora it sure is a tad darker, but It looks just fine and since the sun is quite intense here it will turn the right color in no time; I asked Steve for an AB Pyramid Liner but it seems he didn't had any left, I think the hats looks more top-notch with it.

I'll post pics of me wearing it soon, I feel it needs more of a turn, will need help from you guys to decide.

Regards,

Do you have a good picture of the bow?
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

rogera wrote:Do you have a good picture of the bow?
Here is one, it's cloudy right now so I can't get a very good one.

By the way, this bummer just happened, I left the hat in it's shipping box an the base that holds it got in the way of the ribbon, does anyone know how to fix this?? I can't believe it, I rather have it look tight than distressed like this.

darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

When that happens over here I use too much water to tighten it up. But then you risk possible shrinkage elsewhere.

Someone qualified will chime in.
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

adiemilio wrote:
rogera wrote:Do you have a good picture of the bow?
Here is one, it's cloudy right now so I can't get a very good one.

By the way, this bummer just happened, I left the hat in it's shipping box an the base that holds it got in the way of the ribbon, does anyone know how to fix this?? I can't believe it, I rather have it look tight than distressed like this.

I'll bet some steam and a little finger tip manipulation will fix that right up
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Thanks :D , I wore it a little bit and noticed it got better, then just sprayed some room temperature water on the remaining wrinkles and passed my fingers over them to even it out. :TOH:
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

I ordered a Raiders in rabbit 6 weeks ago. I figured that since it seems like Steve's been doing ok with new orders, it would be worth the risk. But I've emailed him twice since I replied to his initial email with a picture of my face, and haven't heard back either time. I'm very confused, because I know that Emilio, who ordered his just a couple weeks before me, was hearing back from him on a semi-regular basis...more or less.

I don't want to have to keep emailing him, especially since I know that my situation is small potatoes compared to that of many on here, and since I don't want to be that guy constantly asking about his order, but I don't really know what else to do. Thoughts, anyone?
Or does someone know if he's doing okay? I'm really not trying to be a jerk or anything. I just would like to know what's going on.

](*,)

Thanks, all.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Steve has never been great with communication, even before he got sick. If you have only just hit the 6 week mark I wouldn't get overly worried.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
NR16020
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NR16020 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Steve has never been great with communication, even before he got sick. If you have only just hit the 6 week mark I wouldn't get overly worried.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I figured. It just struck me as a little odd. And even though it's just the rabbit felt, it's a lot of money for a poor little college kid like myself. :oops:

Thanks, Jeff.