Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

Post by RayROnline »

micsteam wrote:Looks really good, you seem to like it very much !!! C'mon more pics on you !!! Enjoy !!
Thanks, but...
I think I'm only allowed 4 per thread, right?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No, six.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Michaelson wrote:No, six.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks for that. I'll try and get some more when it's not a dark, rainy day like today!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

That is one beautiful hat! Congratulations on an excellent purchase. Man, that really looks good \:D/ ! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yep, can't go wrong with a PB!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Looks great--it suits you well!

:TOH: Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

:clap: Your hat looks great! I don't need a new hat, but these photos are telling me I do.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

indy89 wrote::clap: Your hat looks great! I don't need a new hat, but these photos are telling me I do.
Yeah.....know 'that' feeling :anxious: ! Don't 'ya just hate it when 'that' happens :-s ? W>
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

I'm happy to say I ordered my first Indy hat. \:D/

After finding out Peters Bros. made these, and it was a quick 15 minute TRE ride and walk to their shop, I decided to be 'fashionably late' for work this morning and head over there to order a custom Raiders style fedora.

The guys there were very cool and fun to chat with. He measured my head (self-measured I was a 23 1/2"; but when they measured me I was actually a 23 1/4" - one of the reasons I went to them, they could professionally measure me) but then they took an outline of my head and cut the shape out in cardboard so my actual head shape would be custom as well.

This was my first custom measure experience so needless to say, I was impressed with the sizing details they did.

A few more minutes and they got my order processed:
Indy Custom Soft Rabbit Blend 23 1/4 Block - Straight Raiders Copy

Now, the downside of all this is my hat won't be ready until approximately late August, due to the volume of summer hat sales they have already to fill. BUT I was happy to put my order in and have all that processed so all I need to do now is wait... :cry:

I might need to order one of their Indy Straw hats for the summer ;)

Pics will come around August!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bravo! :clap:

I find my straw PB Indy can be a constant companion when it gets too humid to wear a felt during the summer.

Regards! Michaelson
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

curtishart, when your hat comes in get some pics up on here we'd love to see it, specifically on your head !!! I'm glad you had a good experience with them, they've been around since the 30's (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I know it's been a family owned business for many years ) and I've had good customer service with them. Good luck and enjoy
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

micsteam wrote:curtishart, when your hat comes in get some pics up on here we'd love to see it, specifically on your head !!! I'm glad you had a good experience with them, they've been around since the 30's (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I know it's been a family owned business for many years ) and I've had good customer service with them. Good luck and enjoy
The site says they've been around since 1911, so well over 100 years! :clap:

And yes, I'll definitely be posting pics when it comes in.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

There you go !!! I haven't been on their website for some time but I had a feeling it was longer than 70-80 years. Can't wait to see the hat.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

curtishart wrote:I might need to order one of their Indy Straw hats for the summer ;)
You chose, wisely! And all the better you got to visit the shop in person. :clap:

Along with Michaelson I highly recommend their Indy Straw. I'm right on the cusp of making my summer switch over from felt hats to my straw. I'm trying to hold out to June 1st.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Is there anyone on the board that has the PB Crusade style in the soft blend hat? If so, would you please post a couple of pics of it. I would like to see what their version looks like in comparison to other offers out there. Thanks. W>
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

WConly wrote:Is there anyone on the board that has the PB Crusade style in the soft blend hat? If so, would you please post a couple of pics of it. I would like to see what their version looks like in comparison to other offers out there. Thanks. W>
Mine is a Last Crusade style with a Raiders bash in the soft. It's not very soft at all. Just right for me. Picks have already been posted on this thread.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

RayROnline wrote:
WConly wrote:Is there anyone on the board that has the PB Crusade style in the soft blend hat? If so, would you please post a couple of pics of it. I would like to see what their version looks like in comparison to other offers out there. Thanks. W>
Mine is a Last Crusade style with a Raiders bash in the soft. It's not very soft at all. Just right for me. Picks have already been posted on this thread.
Yes! Saw that and commented on it. Beautiful hat. I was just curious if anyone had the LC with the LC pinch, etc. Your's, as stated before is a gem! Thanks Ray! W>
Ranging Robert
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ranging Robert »

PB just got a nod in the current Texas Monthly magazine-not for an Indy; just a regular ol' cowboy hat. BUT, they were one of three manufacturers mentioned including my dream hatter (Spradley from Alpine).
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Huzzah!
Just got a phone call from then saying my RotLA fedora is ready! Gonna try to pick it up Monday morning before work. Pics to come!
:D
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

curtishart wrote:Huzzah!
Just got a phone call from then saying my RotLA fedora is ready! Gonna try to pick it up Monday morning before work. Pics to come!
Where are the pics?! :lol:
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

NO
indy89 wrote: Where are the pics?! :lol:
My bad :oops:

So, quick back story. I posted this part already earlier in this thread, but here it is again for those who missed it (or too lazy to scrollup :lol: )

I've been wanting a Poet for a while now. I only had an Official Indiana Jones IJ554 I got while at Walt Disney World. And while I love wearing it, I needed a more screen reminiscent version.

Back in May, I saw this thread and huzzah! They're in my hometown of Fort Worth! Beautiful! Perfect! I've always been hesitant to order one online because I'm never sure of my exact hat size. Seems like every time I measure my head, it's different. I even went to a local Cavenders western store and tried on hats to see about sizes, but even then, different style hats resulted in different results.

So, finding out Peters Brothers was in Ft. Worth AND they're professionals and would be able to measure for my hat correctly, I was sold.

I took the Trinity Railway Express near my house to the main FW station and from there it was a three block walk.

The guys there were super friendly. They took my measurement, wrote it down, remeasured and wrote it down. Then they used a...not sure what it's called, but I've seen artists use it to shape curves for drawing. Like a malleable ruler. He used it to take the actual shape of my head and traced it on a piece of cardboard. He cut it out, then fit the piece on my and made small adjustments to make it a solid fit. So I had my order:

Indy Custom Soft Rabbit Blend 23 1/4 - 52 Block - Straight Raiders Copy

Paid my fee, got a receipt and unfortunately, due to high volume of summer hat orders it would be until late August before it would be ready.

All in all it took less than 30 minutes from measure to paying.

It wasn't ready until this past weekend, so Monday morning, I quickly jumped on the TRE again and made my way their store. Picked it up, fitted it. And let me tell you, this thing fit like a glove...er...hat? ;) It was a solid fit. A bit stiff on the first day, but day 4 of wearing it, it fits absolutely perfect! I can NOT recommend these guys enough. If you live in the DFW area (or if you live near a hatter) I HIGHLY recommend going in person to get a custom fit hat (Indy or otherwise)

Okay, okay, enough talking - on with the pictures:

I know, I know...where's the picture of ME wearing it. Hopefully I can get that tonight (I hate taking 'selfies' so waiting for the wife to get back so she can take it) and will add to this when I get it/them taken.

Enjoy! :TOH:

EDIT: Okay, got a picture of me :)
Last edited by curtishart on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Joe and co. just make fantastic hats, plain and simple. VERY nice acquistion, and will become an old friend in short order.

Wear it well! :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Indeed they do. I'm jealous you got to work with them in person right there in the shop.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

It looks terrific. Congrats!
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

Is that a Doctor Who scarf you've got it sitting on?
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Geno wrote:Is that a Doctor Who scarf you've got it sitting on?

Co-worker and I had a 'nerd-off' and I won bringing in my Doctor Who scarf a friend knit for me waaay back in high school.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

indy89 wrote:
Where are the pics?! :lol:

My bad :oops:
Hey, don't feel bad! I just love seeing Peter Bros.' work. You have a fine looking hat, sir. I've always wanted one of their hats, but I always spend my money on other stuff :lol: Wear the heck out of it! :TOH:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

So I was thinking that I may drive up to Ft. Worth at some point this summer and get fitted for an Indy hat at Peter Bros.

Any idea how long it takes them to make the hat, felt options, prices...etc. Their website still looks incomplete.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Depends entirely on the time of year. They cover a lot of the rodeo circuit, so they're always backlogged, but best bet is to give them a call to see what kind of time table they're currently working with.

Prior to Joe Sr. passing away, the felt offerings were rabbit, 50/50 rabbit/beaver blend, and 100% beaver. I imagine that hasn't changed.

Regards! Michaelson
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Thanks Michaelson ; I emailed them a few moments ago.

I have always wanted a Indy style fedora. Looked real hard at getting a Penman, but just can't see myself paying $600 plus on a hat that I probably will not wear all that much....it's too hot in Tx most of the months.

So, is a Peter Bros in 100% Beaver under $600 ?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It used to be around $450, but with the change in shop with Joe Sr's. passing, you'll have to get the current prices from them. I honestly don't know if they've raised their prices or not.

Just to throw you a curve, you could also get a custom Garrison standard Raiders style in short order in 100% beaver for $450.

http://www.garrisonhatters.com/garrison ... 13_009.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to mull over as you pursue your purchase. Good luck! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:And now for something completely different...

I wear cowboys boots on a semi-regular basis. I also wear fedoras daily. I get plenty of 'nice cowboy hat' comments while wearing my fedoras, to which I always reply, "thank you' and leave things at that. The cowboy comments definitely increase on the days I wear my boots and I understand why that would be.

Well, I was wanting to A. get a lid that was a more bona fide cowboy hat and B. if I was going to do that, it was going to as part of putting together a Man With No Name costume. I looked around online for hats for a while and then in a moment of 'duh' realized I had a hatmaker right in front of me.

Called Peters Brothers and had a very pleasant conversation. Was told at the time they had a 12 week turn around, but it could be as little as 9 since they didn't have too many orders in the pipeline at the moment. That was going to be very tight for Halloween, but so be it, I should have ordered earlier. Well, in just over a month I had my new lid in hand!

Telescope crown with a 3 1/2 inch flat brim all around. Fit perfect right out of the box, but man is it stiff. I think I could use it for a spare tire if needed. I put a slight pinch in the front and decided to let the brim do it's own thing over time. I wear it at least once a week and the brim is already starting to develop some nice character. I do keep banging the brim into things (especially getting in and out of the car), even from wearing fedoras, I'm not used to the added width of my head.

Came with a matching ribbon with really nice bow work. I've since ordered a leather band to better match the band from the movies. I'll be moving this ribbon to a straw hat I have.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Makes me think Clint Eastwood!!
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

What does you quote mean, " custom Garrison standard Raiders style in short order "?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Dave Garrison's turn around is usually pretty quick.
If you looked at the link I provided, it shows his custom made standard Raiders style costs $450.
He's also located in Georgia, so he's not that far away from you.....another good ol' Southern boy. ;)
Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

baddates1 wrote:Makes me think Clint Eastwood!!
That is the idea. Thanks. :TOH:
Michaelson wrote:He's also located in Georgia, so he's not that far away from you.....another good ol' Southern boy. ;) Regards! Michaelson
Oh, M, car96 is from Texas. That Texas, not the South. [-(

;) :)

As far as contacting PB, I've found calling is the best course of action. I've not had the best of luck using their website (before it was under construction) or e-mailing. It'd be a four hour haul each way to drive up, but could make for a nice weekend drive to be able to see the shop and get fitted in person.

I'm going to be in Texas later this summer and am planning a trip to the shop to meet the staff and drop off a hat I need some work done.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:[Oh, M, car96 is from Texas. That Texas, not the South. [-(

;) :)
Don't EVEN go there, Jeffrey, my boy. =; As I recall, a few of us Tennessean's had to go down there to help out with some sort of scap back in the 1830's, so it's a part of the South, no matter HOW you want to spin it. [-X ;)

PB does still seem to be having issues with that website, that's for sure, even though it was supposed to be up and running long before now. I haven't seen any updates on their FB page either, so they must be buried with work yet again. :-k

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

:lol:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thor
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Thor »

Afew years ago I bought a PB Raiders hat over the internet; perfect fit! Sadly I sold it later on, but that hat was a beaut! :)
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I just ordered a Hemp Milan Hat done up Raiders style from Peters Bros. I can't wait to receive it. I have been wanting a nice straw hat for a while now and my wife was kind enough to let me order one. They said that i should have it in about a month.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:clap:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Good call. :clap: I've been wearing mine everyday for the past month, perfect hot weather hat. Yesterday topped out at 114 with wind that felt like a blast furnace, but the sun wasn't beating down on me and I could feel the wind moving through the crown cooling my head.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It FINALLY stopped raining long enough here in Tennessee I could get MINE out to wear too!

Regards! Michaelson
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Illinois isn't that hot in fact it's only getting up to 74 degrees today but it has been well above 90 enough times for me. If I could be in the upper peninsula of Michigan year round, I would be happy. I do not care for the hot humid weather of the Midwest. That being said, I can't wait for my new hat. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If you can't stand the humid weather of the Midwest, you'd HATE the humidity here in the South. Believe me! #-o ;)

Regards! Michaelson
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

DiCatania wrote:Illinois isn't that hot in fact it's only getting up to 74 degrees today but it has been well above 90 enough times for me. If I could be in the upper peninsula of Michigan year round, I would be happy. I do not care for the hot humid weather of the Midwest. That being said, I can't wait for my new hat. :TOH:
You need Canadian summer days. Now I don't live there but in Canada it is like cold year round right?
Last edited by baddates1 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

baddates1 wrote:
DiCatania wrote:Illinois isn't that hot in fact it's only getting up to 74 degrees today but it has been well above 90 enough times for me. If I could be in the upper peninsula of Michigan year round, I would be happy. I do not care for the hot humid weather of the Midwest. That being said, I can't wait for my new hat. :TOH:
You need Canadian summer days. Now I don't love there but in Canada it is like cold year round right?
Nope. And it's not uniformly yellow or pink either.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I meant like cool during the summer that you may want a coat.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You gotta get pretty far north for that.

High temp in Temagami, Ontario (about 250 miles north of Toronto) today is 72F. Tomorrow's high forecast is 81F. I've been there with temps in the 90s and humidity so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

The cooler the better for me. I really do not like the humidity. It's funny, in Illinois everyone has central air conditioning when I go to our place in the U.P. No one has air conditioning. It still gets warm up there but the nights stay cool. They had a few nights this past week in the mid forties, that makes for good sleeping. :lol:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

baddates1 wrote:I meant like cool during the summer that you may want a coat.
There's no magic in crossing the 49th parallel. The west coast frequently has summer temperatures in the upper 80s and sometimes well into the 90s. The Interior of BC can easily see 100 The prairie provinces get up there too. It's supposed to touch 80 in Edmonton today. Toronto and Detroit are basically one city so their weather is the same. Quebec gets up there too. Ive never been there but I've been told that even the Yukon has some pretty warm weather.