Wested LC Custom

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Wested LC Custom

Post by theman »

Nice job in getting what you wanted out of Wested Zoltar... that pocket shape is pretty decent.
Maybe I'll have to share some patterning revelations that I just went through on the Last Crusade project. Just by chance when overlaying my pocket pattern to some screen shots, I actually matched up the info I got from the Smithsonian jacket to which part it was used in. One of those "holy-@#$%" kinda moments. Fun stuff when it all comes together, can imagine how good it felt when your jacket showed up in the flesh with your info brought to life.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

What's the plan Dan? Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve! LC first or all three together? Guess I'd best get saving :lol:
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I'd sign off on a list to Peter to make these changes permanent to his LC Jacket.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Rock the Barn! Rock the Barn! :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Making a 'signed list' for Peter I have seen been done many times before over the years and I have never seen that ''signed list, fan spec made jacket''.( well, not completly true but more on that later) IMO, and I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think your kinda chasing a ghost with this. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool but I just don't see it happen. Not with Peter cutting down anyways... I think he just doesn't have the energy enough to go thru soemthing fan made on his last days at wested. To him it's business and without him having a ''original'' jacket he can pattern, I don't see it happen. He patterned the TofD and the Raiders and............The ''CS prototype''.

So, further on about what I mentioned above. The only fan made spec jacket that has been accepted and used for many years were the ''agent 5'' Raiders specs but eventually it bleeded out when people started asking for more custom specs and thats when he stopped taking a huge lists with photos and specs. It just became a big mess...

So, to some, Zoltars LC jacket is very SA and to some it's not. Personally I'm one of those that don't think it's that SA. It's very nice and is Indy but there are things I would change. And thats my point, some agree on specs and some don't and want it changed and it just turnes into a mess for them. It's easier for a business to say we had an ''original'' this is IT, we won't change the specs, take it or leave it, your choice. ( like they do with the HERO and the Temple)

So, hopefully you see my point without thinking that I knocking down on the jacket or the 'list' I just try to see it from all sides..
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

I'm totally with Holt on this one, like I said it was never supposed to be SA I just wanted to try and lose the things that bugged me the most on the current offering and from that point of view it turned out great but there's alot more changes I'd have made if I knew they'd be made. I really love this jacket but as a Hero it just wouldn't cut the mustard. I just needed a jacket 'fix' and this delivered the goods without breaking the bank :)

Everytime I've met or spoken to Peter he's joked about been past it, the Raiders Hero took along time to come to fruition and I don't think another Hero's in him before he retires completly. It would be good if I'm wrong and there's no harm in showing our enthusiasm, just don't hold your breath :oops:

:TOH:
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Zoltar wrote:What's the plan Dan? Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve! LC first or all three together? Guess I'd best get saving :lol:
LC first, then possibly ToD... I would love to do Raiders at some point if I can source the correct leather. But for now LC getting done is my only focus.

Love how your pockets came out BTW. 8)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

theman wrote:
Zoltar wrote:What's the plan Dan? Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve! LC first or all three together? Guess I'd best get saving :lol:
LC first, then possibly ToD... I would love to do Raiders at some point if I can source the correct leather. But for now LC getting done is my only focus.
How things progress with this developing effort by theman is now VERY MUCH on my radar...
Best of Luck to you, Dan!
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Mitch LaRue wrote:
theman wrote:
How things progress with this developing effort by theman is now VERY MUCH on my radar...
Best of Luck to you, Dan!
Ditto.

:CR:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

+1 to that!! Knowing Dan's attention to detail, I cant wait for this one. Dan, will this one be Vanson made? Also, what kind of hide are you looking at for this one?
theman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by theman »

Man fellers, I didn't intend to yank Zolt's thread into being about my stuff, sorry about that Zolt! :CR: Kemo - I am using a thin cow to get what I want with this one, and yes, Vanson built in Massachusetts like most of the stuff you got to fondle here at the homestead. :TOH:
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

The man- I was wondering which LC you are intending to replicate, the hero or the smithsonian jacket?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Just looked this one up... ours are SO similar.

We were doing the same tweaks and I didn't even realise it. :notworthy:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

That's because of all the help you gave me with mine Kt! :TOH: Your's looks superior in every way, it's more then just the details it comes together perfectly and screams LC!
Mine's just got enough tweaks to make it stand out from the crowd, nothing more nothing less.

Mine's hung up drying after it's first full on water treatment (bucket job) when it's dry I'm going to go to town with some sandpaper and wire wool. Seeing your's has inspired me to tweak the distressing and finally brighten up that zip.

;) ZOLTAR
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Folks, I am incredibly pleased to announce that I am the proud new owner of Zoltar's custom-spec LC! I couldn't believe it when I saw the jacket up for sale on the Cairo Bazaar last month and, after verifying the sleeve measurements, I quickly snapped it up. It's no secret that I've coveted a screen-accurate Crusade jacket for over a decade, and this one is absolutely the best I've ever seen. The only detail that needed fixing was the brown lining, so I made arrangements with Zoltar and Wested to have the jacket sent to The Barn for re-lining prior to being shipped to the States. Well, it arrived Friday, and it was 100% perfect. Fits me like a glove! Now it has a full black cotton lining and vintage style Leather Concessionaires label for true 1980's authenticity. Now my Indy jacket quest has truly concluded, because this is the ultimate LC, aside from an original screen-used jacket from the Lucasfilm archives! Thank you, Zoltar, for commissioning this spectacular jacket and the perfect distressing job that radiates the Last Crusade vibe! I still can't believe that you decided to part with this gem, but it's found a good home and will be very well cared-for. :TOH:

Here are the newest pics of the jacket, with full gear shots to arrive once I receive my new Magnoli LC pants and Alden chromexcel boots!

Hi-res: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3732/139 ... 858c_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/139 ... 5ac9_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/139 ... 112f_o.jpg

Hi-res: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/139 ... b4c9_o.jpg

I'd like to add that I consider myself one lucky SOB for scoring this baby! YEEEAHHHH!!! :D :clap: \:D/
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

I have to say I'm quite jealous. I've been wanting to order a LC Jacket but I'm scared to order a custom spec'd jacket from wested. Really wish they would make a hero LC ughhh
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

They really need to! A Wested LC Hero would sell like hot cakes if they were based on a screen-accurate pattern!
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

I know both wested and bill kelso need to get on the ball and make me my LC jacket i've been dreaming of lol
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Congrats on your acquisition, WW. I know it's something you really wanted. It would have to be, in order for you to give up your other one. Wear it in good health. ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks, Tex. Another COW'er advised me to keep the CS because the jacket is part of my forum identity, so I pulled the sale ad. I guess it doesn't hurt to have an alternate / spare Indy jacket (plus, the novapelle is somewhat lighter than the beefy pre-distressed cow LC, ideal for the semi-cool days of early autumn / late winter). On a similar note, I'll be keeping my original brick red Aldens after my natural chromexcel 405s arrive in a month or two. So it's all good.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

I've checked in with Bill Kelso on the LC multiple times, and as far as they've told me, they don't believe there is enough demand to make the project worthwhile. As it is, the Relic Maker is small potatoes over there compared with their A2 business.

Also, the whole Tony Nowak/Hero/Relic Maker all began when Tony was able to copy a screen used jacket in person. I've never heard of any available LC jackets that Peter or anyone else could get access to....they'd have to eyeball it.

The closest jacket, off the top of my head, for screen accuracy at least, is the Magnoli. The Magnoli LC is based off of measurements taken (through the glass, of course) from the LC jacket that used to be on display at the Smithsonian here in DC. Haven't seen that jacket on display in quite some time, otherwise I'd definitely make the trip myself to see if I could get some measurements.

I myself have always treasured the LC - its the only jacket I wanted to have be really SA. I had a custom LC made in lamb at Wested, but I forgot to ask for no leather facings on the inside of the jacket, which actually really takes away from the drape and uniqueness of the LC jacket, so I've got to send it back across the pond at some point to have Peter take care of it (already had local leather worker almost screw up the jacket trying to take care of it for me; they relined the jacket with facings included and claimed I wasn't descript enough in explaining what I wanted lol).
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

whipwarrior wrote:Thanks, Tex. Another COW'er advised me to keep the CS because the jacket is part of my forum identity, so I pulled the sale ad. I guess it doesn't hurt to have an alternate / spare Indy jacket (plus, the novapelle is somewhat lighter than the beefy pre-distressed cow LC, ideal for the semi-cool days of early autumn / late winter). On a similar note, I'll be keeping my original brick red Aldens after my natural chromexcel 405s arrive in a month or two. So it's all good.
Hee hee... "beefy.... cow"... we are back to those steaks again!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Well, it IS 'beefy' for lack of a better descriptor! Over the years I've run the gamut of Wested hides from standard lamb to horsehide to novapelle, but this LC is the first full-weight cowhide I've owned, and in terms of sheer weight it's on-par with HH, minus the stiffness. The cow leather drapes and folds buttery soft, and it's very comfortable. I will enjoy wearing this jacket frequently when cold weather returns next winter! :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Stop braggin'! :P Get that goofy smile off ur face! #-o
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I can't help it! Feels like I just won the Indy lottery! :D
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Looks like this has ended up in the right hands :tup: the black lining really gives it a new lease of life too, glad to see Wested came through for you with that. Got to admit I was a little nervous of it's little pit stop!

Enjoy.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Nice jacket! Now darken that thing up with some pecards!

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

No need to worry, Zoltar. I've returned jackets to Wested several times over the years for refurbishment, never a bit concerned knowing they were in good hands. If you can't trust the original maker, who can you trust? :TOH: Yes, the new black lining gives the jacket a refreshing vitality. By the way, is it wrong to be jealous of yourself for possessing such an incredible treasure? Because I'm certainly envious of this jacket!

Chris, the jacket is much darker than it appears in those pictures. The natural leather color is washed out by the camera flash and the lighting in the room (there's a ceiling fan / chandelier directly above the jacket). If you review Zoltar's earlier posts in this thread, he treated the jacket generously with Pecards several times to achieve the finished look, and I can definitely tell by its weight because I did the same with my novapelle. An annual slathering of conditioner adds a lot of body to the leather.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I always thought pre-D was lighter (weight) than NP..? I guess not.... :-k
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Well, it certainly feels heavier, but that may just be the Pecards dressing soaked into the leather.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

a Beaut. lets see it on!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Still waiting to receive my new Magnoli LC pants and Alden 405 chromexcel boots, which aren't available in my size until June. I'll post full gear pics when I have everything.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

It's a great feeling to know the search is over.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Agreed! And very satisfying to know that "I chose wisely." :TOH:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Love this jacket. I am trying to get Wested to make me a custom LC right now; having trouble speaking the language of the jacket-I don't understand in my mind how to tell them what I want; I don't know how to put into words what I see here on Zoltar's jacket about the collar, sleeves and the stitching.

I am going to start a different thread so as to not get off the topic of this one....which is about a FANTASTIC LC JACKET FROM WESTED. :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Zoltar's original posts neatly summarize the custom specs he gave to Wested, so you might find it helpful to contact him for advice in writing up your jacket order. But he also visited Wested Leather to review the particular details he wanted in the LC jacket (using illustrations with precise measurements). Still, there is an element of uncertainty with any custom jacket order, rolling the dice to see what the finished product looks like. Some people have been luckier than others. Good luck, and please keep us updated on the progress of your order! :TOH: