Wested LC Custom

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested LC Custom

Post by Zoltar »

Here's an LC custom in Pre-distressed cowhide that I've had since christmas but have been too busy to start a thread on.
Peter did a bang up job with this one. :tup: Quite a few changes were necessary from from the standard LC/KOTCS offering and the more eagle eyed amongst you might notice a couple of minor details that didn't make it from my spec list to the finished article but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks Kt Templar and St.Dumas who helped me bottom out my spec list, collar and pocket patterns. Cheers guys :clap:

ZOLTAR :TOH:

Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested LC Custom

Post by Ian »

Nice!!..I can't see the imperfections, but then I'm not that much of an SA dude...Looks great and that collar looks spot on to me. :clap:

You must be clocking up quite a few jackets now... :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Very nice! LC is one of my absolute faves!
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Holt wrote:Very nice! LC is one of my absolute faves!
Mine too!! :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

NICE!
:) :tup:

Even with the "imperfections" you mention (and I'm DANGED if I can see 'em) if someone told me I was Guaranteed to get an LC just like this (but in my size) from Peter and his Team... I'd order one!

Zoltar, WHATEVER specs you gave WESTED that deviated from their standard... Job WELL done!
:clap:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

You've got quite a jacket collection coming along! This one is particularly nice. I really like the unevenness of the colour - have you done anything to the leather? It doesn't looks quite as light coloured as I remember the pre-dist being.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

All I've done is give the jacket a good wipe down with a damp cloth followed by a good dose of Pecards once it's fully dried. The Pre-distressed hide is quite a dry leather so the Pecards helps bring it to life, softening it up considerably and also darkening the colour quite a bit. It does try back out with time so it's kind of a maintenance thing to keep it dark. My Wested Wolvie XO get's an annual slavering since I got it a couple of years ago and it keeps it looking good :tup: .
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Fantastic looking jacket, Zoltar.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Now those are LC pockets. Very nice!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

VERY Last Crusade-ish, down to the color! Better hang on to that one! ;)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Zoltar wrote: My Wested Wolvie XO get's an annual slavering since I got it a couple of years ago and it keeps it looking good :tup: .
I'd love to see some shots of the XO as well.. :TOH:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Ok here's the things that got missed off my list.

I'd have liked the collar to continue onto the stormflap a tad, at least one of the screen used jackets stopped short so in that respect it's still gravy :tup:

I think the zip should be a true brass colour, the antiqued one can be brightened with a scotch pad so again all good :tup:

Arm seam on the back should be as the front, nothing I can do about this one :tdown:

Nit picking I know but I'm a COW member it's in the blood! :lol:

:TOH:

If it ever stops raining I'll get some XO pics. "So far this is the wettest drought on record" ](*,)

Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Zoltar wrote:If it ever stops raining I'll get some XO pics. "So far this is the wettest drought on record" ](*,)
Yup, but at least the lids are getting a fair bit of use.. :D
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

That collar is masterful.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

That collar is masterful.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

.....no, really Dude, that collar is masterful! :P
Last edited by Texan Scott on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

St. Dumas wrote:That collar is masterful.
Glad you approve it's based on your template ;)

While I was in taking these photo's I also took some of my TOD anyone intrested in seeing them? When I got it I didn't post any pic's because it was a direct replacement and identical to one I had sizing issues with in this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51121&p=741850&hili ... ar#p741850
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

My delima has been whether to go with this type of hide or the antique lamb touch, thinner distressed cow if I'm not mistaken. :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

a.lamb! :TOH:
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

Hey zoltar nice jacket, those pockets and collar look great , do you mind if I ask what you asked for, I'm thinking of getting a custom LC again and I really love those pockets on your jacket. Congrats
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

I spoke to Peter about making this jacket on a visit to the barn and disscussed the changes I'd like to make. Then using information and picture's gathered here and with a little help from KT Templar and St. Dumas I sketched out full size patterns of the pocket and collar and posted them to down to Peter along with my spec requests and confirmed it all with another phone call. :whip: The collar took two attempts to get to where it is now, along with another alteration to the back panel..... :roll:

Guess what I'm trying to say is even using the exact same specs might not work out like you expect. I and others here with alot more experiance than me can certainly point you in the right direction if you want to roll the dice :tup:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

All I can say is that your jacket is MORE Last Crusade, then the screen Last Crusade! Meaning...that is how my mind pictures the jacket to REALLY look, as opposed to how it actually looked! Absolutely beautiful leather and a marvelously built jacket! Three cheers \:D/ and :clap: ! W>
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

God. That is a beautiful jacket.

I've made my mind up to buy one last jacket and never again. I have an old wested from 1999 in raiders that I've out grown. I have a US Wings LC style that I can't stand.

This jacket has pretty much made up my mind.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

:clap: That is unquestionably one of the finest jackets I've ever seen from Wested, and they should use your specs as their standard Last Crusade model... forever. Your distressing job is nothing short of divine; a realistic medium between the movie look and the subtle wear that leather would reflect after a few decades of moderate travel. If this jacket isn't 'final gear' then I don't know what else qualifies. I think it's actually too nice to be worn. Just put it on a mannequin behind glass and stare at it all day. =P~
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

whipwarrior wrote::clap: That is unquestionably one of the finest jackets I've ever seen from Wested, and they should use your specs as their standard Last Crusade model... forever. ........
Agreed on that. I for one have always been distressed that if I do finally order an LC custom from wested, I'd have to somehow come up with a ton of specs to make it look as awesome as this one pictured.

I'm not a huge one for screen accuracy, but I do want certain things the same, most notably the collar......*sigh*
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

Agreed 100%. I would love a LC jacket like this one or the one owned/specd. out by KT Templar. Both look fantastic. That Wested doesn't use either one of those for their LC pattern is frustrating.
jonnyboy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi Zoltar,

Great jacket!

This is my first post - I've been a member for a little while, but until now haven't posted.

I've never been a fan of pre-distressed leather, but this looks good. I've been planning on buying an Indy jacket for some time, but so far haven't been able to settle on a manufacturer (or leather type). I'd pretty much narrowed it down to a Wested Hero in the shrunken lamb, but seeing your photos has really thrown a spanner in the works!

It seems to have lots of character, and looks convincingly distressed - have you done much to distress the jacket yourself?

Again, great jacket - it's made me change my opinion of pre-distressed leather!

Cheers,

Jon
dresden
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dresden »

If I were you I'd go with the shrunken lamb first, the LC version requires A LOT of specs, it's taken me awhile to research and help from members here to get all the important specs, and I'm still hesitant to order with all the specs, I'd like it more if I could talk to Peter face to face instead of over the net. Zoltars jacket looks a lot like my pre-distressed, all I did was give it the water treatment and a very thin coat of oil.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1429 ... 926531.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2320/1338132986220.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/8532 ... 026020.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Left one is predis,right is auth lamb, the one on the left I didn't make any specs, there's a number of things I don't like about it, mainly the pockets way to tall, the other jacket I made some specs on, it's not a perfect LC but a little closer. My next one will be specd out and hopefully I'll have one as good as zoltars....I should just order a magnoli and be done with it. Lol
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Hi Jonnyboy

I'm also not a fan of Pre-distressed of the peg, it needs love and attention to bring it to life. ;)
First I give it a good wipe down with a damp cloth, this starts to bring up the edges and even out the "marble" effect. Enough loose dye came out to turn the cloth a dirty grey :shock:
Then once fully dried two generous coat's of Pecard's darkened and further evened things out.
Some of the seams I wanted to further enhance I simply ran my thumb nail down gently a few times to get things going.
Then the magic part.... Just wear it! :Plymouth: As much as possible, a month or two of daily wear makes a huge difference!
That's it. :TOH:

Dresden
The one on the right looks great :tup:

ZOLTAR
jonnyboy wrote:Hi Zoltar,

Great jacket!

This is my first post - I've been a member for a little while, but until now haven't posted.

I've never been a fan of pre-distressed leather, but this looks good. I've been planning on buying an Indy jacket for some time, but so far haven't been able to settle on a manufacturer (or leather type). I'd pretty much narrowed it down to a Wested Hero in the shrunken lamb, but seeing your photos has really thrown a spanner in the works!

It seems to have lots of character, and looks convincingly distressed - have you done much to distress the jacket yourself?

Again, great jacket - it's made me change my opinion of pre-distressed leather!

Cheers,

Jon
jonnyboy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by jonnyboy »

Dresden/Zoltar - thanks for the advice.

It really is a tough choice. I like the warmer tones of the pre-distressed hide and the copper Novapelle, and the shrunken lamb seems to have nice, warm tones too. Some Indy jackets look very dark, almost black. I know the Raiders jacket should be quite dark, but I prefer the look of your LC in pre-distressed Zoltar. As a pattern, again I'm not 100% sure which I prefer. The only thing I don't like about the LC is the poppers on the windflap.

After reading a lot of the different jacket threads on this forum, I'm beginning to wonder what a can of worms I've opened! I already suffer from other forms of vintage leather jacket sickness - the Indy jacket sickness might just do me in!

Cheers,

Jon
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Not a lot to add that hasn't been said already, but that is a great looking LC jacket! Enjoy it. :TOH:
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

Looks good.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

Do you know if Peter retained the specs for this?

What would I ask for if I wanted one of these?

OSK
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

Looks great, what leather was the original jacket made in? Cowhide?
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

thePawn wrote:Looks great, what leather was the original jacket made in? Cowhide?
That's one theory :Plymouth:

Obi Sean

Peter's made some great Custom LC jacket's for members here, I asked him if he had any plans for a LC Hero and just got a chuckle from him. But for now if you want somthing different from the LC/KOTCS hybrid you need to phone him and disscuss the changes you require. Make a list of what feature's are important to you. There's alot to change if your looking for SA. I cut down my list as short as possible and ordered them by priority so the things most important to me would be less likely to be missed. Colar and Pockets are the big ones!
Last edited by Zoltar on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thePawn wrote:Looks great, what leather was the original jacket made in? Cowhide?
Yes there are alot of theories on this. You could do a search. you should get a few topics.

Peter himself said he used a thick lambskin. The people at the smithsonian where one of the original jackets is housed also said it was a lambskin.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Its a shame US wings didnt make their legend in shrunken lamb (sheep) a LC jacket. THAT would be the perfect LC hide in my opinion...
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Holt wrote:
Yes there are alot of theories on this. You could do a search. you should get a few topics.

Peter himself said he used a thick lambskin. The people at the smithsonian where one of the original jackets is housed also said it was a lambskin.
At the Smithsonian? Who were the sources? Or was it one of those, I guy I knew, who knew a guy there said... ;)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Dude...if I could have gotten THAT LC jacket ten years ago, my Indy jacket search would have been over....looks like Peter has finally nailed it.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

That's a stunning looking jacket...

If Peter DID keep a record of the design used to make that jacket, that would be what I'd consider a perfect LC "Hero"....I have an off rack one, and it's looking incredibly "normal" compared to that jacket....I'd be back to order from Wested again if they offered these...

No doubt at all.

Stunning work..
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Someone mentioned the same sentiment earlier....they should take that jacket, with its features, and just make it their standard hero LC jacket...I'd order one again, too..
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

And so would I...what's the odds of that happening?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

"Dear Peter,
We, the undersigned..."

;)

But I'm inclined to doubt that such a satisfying outcome could start with something so simple... could it?
:roll:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Like pebbles that bring the avalanche... ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

In my best Fassbender voice "big things have small beginnings..."
;)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Who wants to draft up the petition....we could get KT to deliver it...
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

It certainly couldn't hurt things at the Barn could it? They have a Hero that is stunning now...Add to that something the same for the Last Crusade and they'd have a rather stunning lineup in all their Indy products...If they do that, going with something like Zoltar's design would be a great start, although only if it's cool with him eh?

I'd buy one...For sure....I've got an off rack, but it rarely gets worn, and although decent, I'm not "in love" with it as I am with my Hero...They could clean up on this one....

I should say...Has anyone emailed Gemma to ask about the possibility of it? Zoltar, would it be ok with you too?

I think we could apply a touch of pressure to kick this thing off right perhaps? :TOH:
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

I sent an e-mail a few months ago and got no reply. Basically said I thought it would be a great idea to offer two Hero jackets for the two movies he made/designed the jackets for. Nuttin' in response.

But if someone drafts up a petition, I'll gladly put my name on it. Their Raiders Hero looks great and I think a LC Hero along the lines of the ones we've seen posted would be great, too.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I would sign that immediatly!
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

I've had plenty of PM's about my order so here it is for all to see, pretty simple stuff. I never set out hoping for total SA (Pre-diss? for a start) just wanted to change the things that bugged me on Wested's current offereing.

All I've done is compile what other people here have done before and picked out the bit's I thought worked. The list was pretty long but using my cousins standard LC/KOTCS to work out what doesn't need to be changed I whittled it down to the following. In the end I trimmed out all of the setting out measurements for the straps ect. I just thought the more information I included the less likely I was to get the details I felt were important to get the LC look. I'm also lucky that I'm 'similar' height and build to HF (too many pies lately ;) ) which makes a massive difference to the overall proportions of the jacket.

Custom Last Crusade

Size 40
Sleeve length 24.5
Back length 25
Dark brown cotton Lining with satin sleeves
Grey/dull D rings

Special requests
1. Arm seam – Back seam same as front – no stitch (as Temple of Doom jacket).
2. Shoulder and arm seam – Single stitched.
3. Collar- (see attached diagram) .
4. No hem stitch – glued (as Temple of Doom jacket)
5. 1.75” stormflap width
6. Pockets - 6.8”x7.2” deep, 2.5” from hem, well defined scalloped pockets flaps. (See attached diagram)
7. Side Straps- Small rectangular piped strap fixing (see attached pictures)
8. Bright gold brass zip

The strap pictures I included were of the Smithsonian jacket.

I'm glad everyone seems to like it as much as me and would love antoher one myself IF we can get Peter intrested in shaking things up abit :TOH:

ZOLTAR