Northwest Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Northwest Hats

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well that does it. Just take my money. =P~

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll be sending him a hat for brim edging in the near future. VERY nice email communications.

Regards! Michaelson
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I just ordered one as well. Super nice guy! Can't wait for my lid. ;)
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

fedoralover wrote:A gentleman from The Fedoralounge just posted these pics of a hat he had Mike at Northwest Hats make for him. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting them here. But the show the quality of Mikes work. I love the detail on the bow.
fedoralover

Wow!!! That bow is amazing!! :shock: :TOH:

Regards
Joe
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

what are the brim dimensions on this hat?
tedquinton wrote:
Geno wrote:Color me intrigued by that Indy style hat!

Any chance of getting a straight-on frontal shot and one from the back as well?
I think I'm allowed 2 more images so here goes:

I think this is the same hat that is on Mike's facebook page, I've just tightened the pinch a tad.
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

Mike posted a picture of another Dark Brown hat with a 5 1/2 inch crown on his facebook page

Would that belong to anyone here?
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

yep !
that brownie 's mine
got ahold of it early this week. it's a gem.
i'll try and post a few pics this week end if that's ok with the mods.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I just received my hat from Mike and it is AWESOME!! I will post pictures later. For those of you who can't wait, Mike has a picture of it posted on his Facebook page. Northwest Hat Co. Is truly a great find. Thanks Mike!
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

I was glad to see Northwest Hats being discussed. I've been communicating w/the owner, too. As others have said...super nice guy. His craftsmanship is impressive. Customization is no problem. Hope to pick up a custom dark brown soon. The Northwest Hats FB page has several nice Indy-style hats featured.
Garrett
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Garrett »

Glad to see Mike's work is being displayed over here. He is a skilled hatter and absolute joy to work with.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Very interesting. I just started looking for a vintage (or vintage-style) gray fedora for a 1942-era event and Northwest came up...and then I found this thread. I, too, wondered about the beaver price. I don't think I can pass that up. This Mike fellow does some great work. And maybe I'll add a beaver Raiders to my collection as well. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm currently working with Mike on a non-Indy order. He's been outstanding to work with.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I received my Indy fedora in beaver from Mike and it is outstanding! I am working with Mike to have him make me a hat from the movie "True Grit" from 2010. I have wanted the "Rooster Cogburn" for a while now and with what he charges for beaver felt, you can't go wrong.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

DiCatania wrote:I received my Indy fedora in beaver from Mike and it is outstanding! I am working with Mike to have him make me a hat from the movie "True Grit" from 2010. I have wanted the "Rooster Cogburn" for a while now and with what he charges for beaver felt, you can't go wrong.
just ordered one yesterday

is yours the 2 7/8"- 2 5/8" brim he posted on his facebook page a little while back ?
mine will have the same specs (with a slightly taller crown to match my long face)

could you take a few pics of the lid being worn ? :roll:
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

indyhan wrote:
DiCatania wrote:I received my Indy fedora in beaver from Mike and it is outstanding! I am working with Mike to have him make me a hat from the movie "True Grit" from 2010. I have wanted the "Rooster Cogburn" for a while now and with what he charges for beaver felt, you can't go wrong.
just ordered one yesterday

is yours the 2 7/8"- 2 5/8" brim he posted on his facebook page a little while back ?
mine will have the same specs (with a slightly taller crown to match my long face)

could you take a few pics of the lid being worn ? :roll:

I've got one coming from Mike, too. I'll try to post pics.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Yep. That was mine. It doesn't get any better than this.
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Here is my Northwestern hat "Indy" 5 1/2" Crown 2 7/8" front and back brim and 2 5/8" side brim in dark brown beaver. I am also sporting my new WPG Indy shirt.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/MyPho ... 9394745883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

DiCatania wrote:Here is my Northwestern hat "Indy" 5 1/2" Crown 2 7/8" front and back brim and 2 5/8" side brim in dark brown beaver. I am also sporting my new WPG Indy shirt.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/MyPho ... 9394745883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nice ! can't wait to get mine...
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

Mike posted another up today.

Interestingly enough, this one has the Indy Brown ribbon.

"Here is anther "Indy" hat but this time it has something new. This hat has the real Indy brown ribbon on it. This ribbon is very hard to get. It is the same color that they used on the actual movie hats. The ribbon is 1 1/2" and very dark brown that almost looks black. This hat has a 5 1/2" crown and the brim is 2 3/4"x 2 1/2". Its made from the dark brown rabbit felt. "

I wonder if this is a custom job or a reblock of an existing hat :-k
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

There is only three people who have access to that ribbon. Myself, Steve and Marc. The only way he would get it, is from one of us or he took it off of one of our hats. I would think your guess of a re block would make more sense.
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

I can't speak to where he got the ribbon, but this is the custom hat Mike made for me.

Whitman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

Plot twist! :o
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Geno wrote:Mike posted another up today.

"Here is anther "Indy" hat but this time it has something new. This hat has the real Indy brown ribbon on it. This ribbon is very hard to get. It is the same color that they used on the actual movie hats. The ribbon is 1 1/2" and very dark brown that almost looks black. This hat has a 5 1/2" crown and the brim is 2 3/4"x 2 1/2". Its made from the dark brown rabbit felt. "

I wonder if this is a custom job or a reblock of an existing hat :-k
What ever the case may be on the ribbon as to its exact color, I know it didn't come off one of your hats John as I saw he had rolls of it. And it definitely wasn't a reblock. Not trying to stir up anything, just clarifying.

fedoralover
Last edited by fedoralover on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Here's a refurb Mike did for me. This was a thin ribbon Open Road style vintage Borsalino. I have several of them already so I had Mike dress this one up by putting on a wider edge binding and a 2 inch black ribbon.

fedoralover

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I'm talking to Mike about making a xrxaxbxbxixtx BEAVER fedora like the one on the left, probably steel gray with a black ribbon.

I'm wanting it with period-appropriate specs (as long as I can still get the look I want, if that makes sense). Probably a work hat vs. a dress hat, something worn by a regular schmoe. I know I don't want ribbon around the edge, but I might be OK with a finished edge. I'm still confused about the terms. (Is that bound or welted?)

Anything I need to know? I just want to be sure I know what I'm asking for so we're on the same page.

Edited because I keep saying rabbit when I mean beaver.
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Whitman wrote:I can't speak to where he got the ribbon, but this is the custom hat Mike made for me.

Whitman

Is this a claim that he has access to the Indy Ribbon or you suspect it is? And can you post better shots?
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

BendingOak wrote:
Whitman wrote:I can't speak to where he got the ribbon, but this is the custom hat Mike made for me.

Whitman

Is this a claim that he has access to the Indy Ribbon or you suspect it is? And can you post better shots?

The Indy fedora pictured above with the dark brown ribbon is being shipped to me now. I plan to post a pic or two once it's here.

Whitman
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thanks. I would like a good shot of the ribbon, please.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Oildale Jones wrote:I'm talking to Mike about making a rabbit fedora like the one on the left, probably steel gray with a black ribbon.

I'm wanting it with period-appropriate specs (as long as I can still get the look I want, if that makes sense). Probably a work hat vs. a dress hat, something worn by a regular schmoe. I know I don't want ribbon around the edge, but I might be OK with a finished edge. I'm still confused about the terms. (Is that bound or welted?)

Anything I need to know? I just want to be sure I know what I'm asking for so we're on the same page.
oh wow !
they sure knew how to make (and wear) hats back in the day...
this one a c crown shape or center dent ?
curious just how Mike will recreate this one.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

indyhan wrote:
Oildale Jones wrote:I'm talking to Mike about making a rabbit fedora like the one on the left, probably steel gray with a black ribbon.

oh wow !
they sure knew how to make (and wear) hats back in the day...
this one a c crown shape or center dent ?
curious just how Mike will recreate this one.
He had one in his shop the other day that was a dead ringer for a vintage Stetson Whippet. He also had a light weight felt body that he had finished off that weighed only 2 ounces. It was smooth as silk. He won't have any trouble recreating either one of those in the picture.

I believe Mikes custom Rabbit felt fedora's are $125, and $150 with a bound edge. Best deal you will ever get for a custom hat of that quality.

fedoralover
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

THANKS GUYS--for finding, and posting about Northwest Hats!!!

I've been after a grey "traveler" for about 15 years. After reading through all of the positive reviews here and drooling over the great photos--I contacted Mike.

Just can't beat $175 for a beaver felt fedora with the spects we all love.

Again--THANKS, fellas.
Hopefully, my next post in this thread will include pics of a certain grey fedora with a nice front pinch....
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

fedoralover wrote:Here's a refurb Mike did for me. This was a thin ribbon Open Road style vintage Borsalino. I have several of them already so I had Mike dress this one up by putting on a wider edge binding and a 2 inch black ribbon.

fedoralover

I just saw this one on FL .. It looks just as good here. :)
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Geno wrote:Mike posted another up today.

"Here is anther "Indy" hat but this time it has something new. This hat has the real Indy brown ribbon on it. This ribbon is very hard to get. It is the same color that they used on the actual movie hats. The ribbon is 1 1/2" and very dark brown that almost looks black.
k
For those interested here is the ribbon Mike is using for the Indy hat he makes. The label definitely says it's brown. It does look black but next to black you can tell it isn't. I put it against my Optimo Crusaders fedora which has a black ribbon. You have to look hard to see the difference. Then I put it next to a vintage regular brown hat and ribbon and you can see how dark it is. It is an excellent reproduction of the original. I emphasize the word "reproduction" because obviously it isn't from the same dye batch that was used on the original. I would imagine all dye batches today that are trying to match the original are technically a reproduction unless they came from that original dye batch that was used when the hat was made. And all will have ever so slight of variations from the original since no two are ever "exactly" the same. IMHO anyway. Here's the pics. As you can see it shows up darker in my pics than in the other one. Don't know why. But I'd say mine is more accurate.

BTW, as to where Mike gets it, well lets just say that Mike, like all hatters likes to keep some things secret.

fedoralover
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's not the Screen used Indy ribbon that Steve, Marc and myself use. Someone miss quoted Mike. Just by the label alone I know where he gets his ribbon. It's a modern white ribbon dyed to the color. I would not be surprised if he bought in from Garrison.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

I can see where one of Mike's comments about the ribbon can be misconstrued. When he said "This hat has the real Indy brown ribbon on it. This ribbon is very hard to get. It is the same color that they used on the actual movie hats.

That super dark, almost black, but brown ribbon is commonly referred to as "Indy brown". Fans know what color it means. So in that sense it is the same color used on the movie hats. Is it exactly the same? No of course not. When Ribbon and felt is dyed, even though it is the same color by label, the different dye lots won't be exactly the same. If you compare different dye lots, you will see there are slight variations between them, some more than others. But only the most discerning eye can see them and only if held up right next to each other.

Mike doesn't have the "Raiders" block either. He has no interest in making an exact clone of those movie hats. He won't distress them or do the turn on his hats. There are already several very skilled hatters who have invested a lot of time and money in making those exact copies and they are great hat's. Mike just offers a very high quality close variation at an excellent price that more people can afford.

The fans who used to buy the Federation Deluxe because they couldn't afford one of the others can now, for not too much more money,($22.00 more the last time I looked) can still get a custom 100% Beaver felt Indy Style fedora. Or any other style if they wish.

fedoralover
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

My fedora from Northwest Hats arrived yesterday. Simply. Perfect. I don't think the pic does the fedora justice. I'm so pleased with this hat!

DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

Looks great. You can't go wrong with Mike at Northwest Hats!
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Whitman wrote:My fedora from Northwest Hats arrived yesterday. Simply. Perfect. I don't think the pic does the fedora justice. I'm so pleased with this hat!

oh. WOW !
counting the days for mine to be delivered...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fedoralover wrote:I can see where one of Mike's comments about the ribbon can be misconstrued. When he said "This hat has the real Indy brown ribbon on it. This ribbon is very hard to get. It is the same color that they used on the actual movie hats.

That super dark, almost black, but brown ribbon is commonly referred to as "Indy brown". Fans know what color it means. So in that sense it is the same color used on the movie hats. Is it exactly the same? No of course not. When Ribbon and felt is dyed, even though it is the same color by label, the different dye lots won't be exactly the same. If you compare different dye lots, you will see there are slight variations between them, some more than others. But only the most discerning eye can see them and only if held up right next to each other.

Mike doesn't have the "Raiders" block either. He has no interest in making an exact clone of those movie hats. He won't distress them or do the turn on his hats. There are already several very skilled hatters who have invested a lot of time and money in making those exact copies and they are great hat's. Mike just offers a very high quality close variation at an excellent price that more people can afford.

The fans who used to buy the Federation Deluxe because they couldn't afford one of the others can now, for not too much more money,($22.00 more the last time I looked) can still get a custom 100% Beaver felt Indy Style fedora. Or any other style if they wish.

fedoralover

Just want to clear something up with you. A very dark brown ribbon you want for sure and this looks good but the statement was this was the true Indy ribbon. As if it was the same ribbon made by the same guy as in the movie. This is a modern ribbon made to look like it. The real deal Indy ribbon is pure rayon and is spun differently. It is made ( the true indy ribbon) exactly like the high quality vintage ribbon that most custom hat makers seek after and pay top dollar for. There is a big difference when it comes to quality and when you have it in front of you as you know by the hats that you have. Also, the one thing that we can get 100% like that was used on the Indy hats is the ribbon. We cant get the felt, the sweatband, the liners but the ribbon is still bing made. The statement made by someone say that mike had the true Indy ribbon is a little misleading. That ribbon is well guarded by Steve, Marc and myself.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Thanks for the clarification. I can appreciate and understand why you wanted to make that distinction. You offer a very unique and specialized Indy fedora. I've seen your work in person and I was very impressed. I was at the Portland Expo antique show and saw a guy wearing a fedora that really stood out from a distance. When I asked him about it, he said he got it from you. It was an awesome looking fedora, non Indy style. It truly stood out in the masses of people.

I'm glad you Steve and Mark have access to the material to make the hats you do. It certainly fills a niche that others cannot. For those that want the truest form of an Indy fedora, you, Steve and Mark will always be the "go to guys".

For those that can't afford that level but still want a higher quality fedora than a rabbit felt Akubra Federation, Mike offers a great alternative in 100% beaver felt at a price more people can afford.

best regards, fedoralover
Columbiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Columbiana Jones »

Hi Guys,

I've had my hat from Mike for about five days now and I just wanted to report in and say how very pleased I am with it. I think that Mike's hats are truly something special. I'll try and get a shot or two up soon if you guys are still interested.

-Greg
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

fifthchamber wrote:The hat arrived today...

Wow you make me think of Sherlock Holmes or maybe even Dr. Watson! Nice looking suit there man!

Regards from an extraordinary gentleman: baddates1
Columbiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

A few shots from this weekend:

and

fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Columbiana Jones wrote:A few shots from this weekend:

and

Wow those side and front shots look dead on. Is that the beaver felt or rabbit?

fedoralover
Columbiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Fedoralover, it's the beaver felt, and it's really pretty flexible, so it's fairly easy to get it to do what you want it to do.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I always thought there was an unexploited market for good fedoras made in the $150-$200 price range, and I am glad to see that someone is delivering. Some of the bow work in this thread are works of art. ;) :tup:
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

Columbiana Jones wrote:A few shots from this weekend:

and

Wow that looks good !
Did you bash/turn the hat yourself ?
Columbiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Indyhan--yes--I had him deliver it open-crowned.
I've had a lot of fun working with it, and have already tweaked it a bit further.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

great ! i've asked for mine to be delivered open crowned too !
can't wait... =P~
Last edited by indyhan on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Anyone have both the rabbit and beaver lids, to give a comparison, comments, etc?