Northwest Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Northwest Hats

Post by Geno »

I was looking at the website for Northwest Hats, and after a quick search I didn't see much mention of them on here (minus them being mentioned as an option for a hat reblock).

http://www.northwesthats.com/Fedoras.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There appears to be an Indiana Jones style fedora on their page towards the end of their "Dress Felt" section. They don't assign a name to any of the dress hats.

Specs are Color: Dk. Brown Brim: 2 1/2 in. x 2 3/8 in. Crown: 5 1/2 in.

The price for a 100% Rabbit hat is $125 while a 100% Beaver hat appears to be.... $175?! :shock:

That sounds far too good to be true, which usually means it is, so with that in mind....

Has anybody done business with these people? How is their felt in terms of quality?

Better yet, if somebody has purchased one of there Indiana Jones style fedoras and can attest to the shape of their block, I'd be interested to hear from them as well.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Northwest Hats

Post by Gorak »

Never heard of them but I really like that color!
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

I found a couple of links that may be interesting. The first is an article, the second a thread on the Fedora Lounge.

http://www.ccweek.com/news/templates/te ... 2&zoneid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... Eugene-Ore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Isn't the brim a tad bit short? :? ........maybe?.... maybe it is just me..... or is it?......
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Nobody on the Fedora lounge has anything bad to say, and they're a discerning group. I havea vintage Stetson Playboy to send Mike's way for a reblock...
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

baddates1 wrote:Isn't the brim a tad bit short? :? ........maybe?.... maybe it is just me..... or is it?......
Well, the specs say 2 1/2 X 2 3/8 -- so yes it is a step down from a traditional 'Indy' hat! W>
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

By the way, the fed IV deluxe, is the brim on that too short to be Indy? is it even short for Indy?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

baddates1 wrote:By the way, the fed IV deluxe, is the brim on that too short to be Indy? is it even short for Indy?
The Northwest Hat is 2.5 x 2.37

The Fed deluxe is 2.75 (front and back) x 2.4 (sides) inches

Supposedly, Indy's lid in Raiders was 2.75 (front and back) by 2.62 (sides).

So, according to the hatsdirect.com site, the Fed deluxe is a bit shorter on the sides but dead on the measurements for the fore and aft.

The Skull hat was roughly 2.75 by 2.50 - and 2.8 to 2.6 inches.

So again, the Akubra Fed is a bit short on the sides (the best part of the Akubra's though is they are from an original Pre-WWII block which makes me love the authenticity).

So either way the Akubra Federation Deluxe is shorter on the sides than the original Raiders hat and the Adventurebilt hat.

Information gathered by indygear.com and hatsdirect.com.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

backstagejack wrote:
baddates1 wrote:By the way, the fed IV deluxe, is the brim on that too short to be Indy? is it even short for Indy?
So either way the Akubra Federation Deluxe is shorter on the sides than the original Raiders hat and the Adventurebilt hat.

Don't forget to include Penman Hats in there. The brim on a Penman Raiders measures around 2.94" (2 15/16") front and back by 2.625" (2 5/8") on the sides.

It may not seem like much, but the extra almost 1/4" on the sides makes all the difference in the world - at least to me. :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

If we are talking Raiders hat. I make mine 2 7/8 x 2 5/8 and my head measures 22 7/8. Remember I don't make everyone with the same specs. Hence the term " custom hatter"
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

BendingOak wrote:If we are talking Raiders hat. I make mine 2 7/8 x 2 5/8 and my head measures 22 7/8. Remember I don't make everyone with the same specs. Hence the term " custom hatter"
Understood.

Mine (as you know) measures 22 11/16" and the brim specs you use on mine (which are probably the same is yours - the extra 1/16" in length being measurement error) are perfect.
:D
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

backstagejack wrote:

Remember Mike (Northwest Hats) is a custom hatter, I'm sure he could do whatever brim width you ask of him.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

tedquinton wrote:
backstagejack wrote:

Remember Mike (Northwest Hats) is a custom hatter, I'm sure he could do whatever brim width you ask of him.
I expect that would be true. Given the impact of 1/8" here and there on the appearance, though, one should be VERY careful about "specing" a hat over what a professional thinks is the right proportions.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Not entirely Indy related, but certainly related to Northwest hats...

I saw this thread, and decided that I'd like to see if Mike could help with a hat that I was after....I'd wanted a Homburg, and had tried to ask Christys, but was told that they can't sell them in lighter colours with the stiffener they currently use, so light grey wasn't an option anymore...

After hearing that, I figured it made a lot more sense to go handmade anyway, and emailed Mike about the idea....He was quick to reply, and the hat was started and finished within the week of my email. I ended up going for a light grey (concrete) Homburg, with a black, wide knot, and I'd asked for a small lighter grey highlight on the knot itself, and the lower flap of the bow too...The edge binding in lighter grey, and a red inner lining in burgundy...

While it's still in transit, Mike was kind enough to send me these photos of the hat before it left his shop, and all I can say is that I'm honestly amazed at the quality and skill he has at the price and speed he operates on....Truly impressive.

Here are the photos...

Last edited by fifthchamber on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Ah, man! =P~

I keep toying with the idea of getting a homburg (and Marcus wears them, so there, Indy tie-in ;) ).

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I would strongly recommend Mike if you wanted a good beaver hat at a cheap price...Mine, all in, with edge binding, the customisation I wanted, and shipping to Japan came to 240 dollars....

I'm not saying I was amazed...But I was...This great a product, at that price? Incredible.....

And yes! Do it! The Homburg is an amazing style, perfect in winter with long coats and scarves! Great time to buy I thought! Also, if, in old age, you find yourself putting on the pounds, you simply grow a strange looking moustache, buy a great suit, and voilà, you're cosplaying as Poirot! Simple!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

fifthchamber wrote:Also, if, in old age, you find yourself putting on the pounds, you simply grow a strange looking moustache, buy a great suit, and .....
Hey, wait a minute. :-s I've lost 38 pounds since March! [-(

Oh, missed the 'Poirot' reference. :oops: :-

Uh....VERY VERY nice hat! :TOH:

:Plymouth:

Regard !Michaelson
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Michaelson wrote:
fifthchamber wrote:Also, if, in old age, you find yourself putting on the pounds, you simply grow a strange looking moustache, buy a great suit, and .....
Hey, wait a minute. :-s I've lost 38 pounds since March! [-(

Oh, missed the 'Poirot' reference. :oops: :-

Uh....VERY VERY nice hat! :TOH:

:Plymouth:

Regard !Michaelson

:rolling: Hahaha....Ah, nice one my friend! Happily you're still more than far enough away from Poirot's figure to not worry about that! If you DO start referring to yourself in the third person I'll start to worry, but until then, you're all good I suspect!

(And congrats on the weight loss too!) :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

;) :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

The hat arrived today...

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

SUPERFREAKIN COOL! Oh man, I totally love this look on you! And I say that with a staunch record of heterosexuality.. :D ) Dude, that really looks fabulous on you. I am VERY impressed. I have two homburgs and juts feel they don`t quite work on me but you definitely have the face for it. Congrats on such a unique beauty! I am soooojealous!!!!! =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

I took delivery today of an Indy style hat from Mike. For $175 for a beaver hat, including shipping costs it's approximately the same price as a Fed iv delux, but there is absolutely no comparison. Mike's hat is many times better. Every facet is superior, from the pounce, stiching, sweatband touch, and obviously the felt. There is no comparison.

I am over the moon. I'll try ang get some pictures this weekend.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

What a nice hat. Congrats! :tup:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have to say that is a great looking Homburg. It would not look out of place on a London train platform in the late 19th century.

How is the felt and the overall finish?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:I have to say that is a great looking Homburg. It would not look out of place on a London train platform in the late 19th century.

I own two from John and one from Steve as well, and I have to say, I can't see any difference in the quality of the felt used in mine from John's....That would mean it's high quality..And I'd say I'm safe in saying that indeed, it is very high quality....The finish is also, superb...Smooth, tight and clean...

I'm more impressed with this hat than I was ever expecting to be, and perhaps that was silly? I'd seen the photos, and read the Fedora Lounge reports, so should have had an idea of the quality....But, it beats my best expectations...I'm highly impressed with the hat and the maker, Mike is a VERY good hatmaker...And his products are up there with the best out already, easily...

I can't say any more than that....I'd suggest you order a hat and see what he comes up with...You won't be let down... :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

fifthchamber wrote:
Ridgerunner58 wrote:I have to say that is a great looking Homburg. It would not look out of place on a London train platform in the late 19th century.

I own two from John and one from Steve as well, and I have to say, I can't see any difference in the quality of the felt used in mine from John's....That would mean it's high quality..And I'd say I'm safe in saying that indeed, it is very high quality....The finish is also, superb...Smooth, tight and clean...

I'm more impressed with this hat than I was ever expecting to be, and perhaps that was silly? I'd seen the photos, and read the Fedora Lounge reports, so should have had an idea of the quality....But, it beats my best expectations...I'm highly impressed with the hat and the maker, Mike is a VERY good hatmaker...And his products are up there with the best out already, easily...

I can't say any more than that....I'd suggest you order a hat and see what he comes up with...You won't be let down... :TOH:
Thanks.

Your recommendation is all I need. I will certainly do as you suggest.

After all, there's always room for one more. ;)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

fifthchamber wrote:The hat arrived today...

Nicely done! Very nice :tup: ! W>
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

fifthchamber wrote:

uh oh... best kept secret no more

i'm glad i just ordered one of Mike's gems...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I wonder if his felt comes from Winchester too? :-k

I'm VERY impressed with what I'm seeing here! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

tedquinton wrote:I took delivery today of an Indy style hat from Mike. For $175 for a beaver hat, including shipping costs it's approximately the same price as a Fed iv delux, but there is absolutely no comparison. Mike's hat is many times better. Every facet is superior, from the pounce, stiching, sweatband touch, and obviously the felt. There is no comparison.

yes, please, pics !
i'm considering ordering one myself (i have a gangster style on its way already)
DiCatania
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DiCatania »

I just placed an order with Mike for a custom Raiders fedora in Beaver. I will post pictures when I receive it. Merry Christmas to me \:D/
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Regarding Northwest hats, I heard about him about 18 months ago and was very skeptical when I heard of his prices for custom hats especially the 100% beaver. Since he happened to be only about 5 minutes from my house I decided to check him out. As a test of his skills I took over the floppiest borsalino felt fedora I had that needed work. Mike put a new edge binding on it, new ribbon and sweatband and even shored up a weak spot in the crowns felt. I was very impressed with his work and ended up taking over at least a dozen or more of my vintage fedora's to have them worked on. He did excellent work on all of them. I have had numerous friends get his custom Rabbit and Beaver felt fedora's from him and trust me, you get more than you pay for. As to a custom Indy fedora, Mike can give you any dimensions you want to fit your face and head size. Here are few of the hats he's done for me.

I have too many to post but these are just a few.

fedoralover

Vintage Borsalino: It was way too big for me and a thin ribbon. Had a bad sweatband, so I had Mike resize it and put in a new sweatband and the wider ribbon with a matching edge binding. This one has the Borsalino felt we all dream and wish we could get today.

Stetson Nutria: I had he put on this double edge binding with the matching ribbon

Stetson 100: Reblock with a new ribbon and edge binding

I call this a Pandora: I had a vintage panama body I wasn't wearing so Mike took the crown and put it on a felt brim. It imitates a vintage style they did way back in the day. Notice the triple stitching on the brim.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That last one is very interesting. Never heard of a straw/felt combo like that. How is the straw connected to the felt brim?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

indyhan wrote:
tedquinton wrote:I took delivery today of an Indy style hat from Mike. For $175 for a beaver hat, including shipping costs it's approximately the same price as a Fed iv delux, but there is absolutely no comparison. Mike's hat is many times better. Every facet is superior, from the pounce, stiching, sweatband touch, and obviously the felt. There is no comparison.

yes, please, pics !
i'm considering ordering one myself (i have a gangster style on its way already)
I asked Mike for a generic Indy hat. I wasn't looking for any particular scene or for it to be SA. I just wanted a quality hat with an Indy vibe.

This is what Mike sent me. I think he cracked it.

Last edited by tedquinton on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

Very, very nice hat, fine color of felt :tup:.

Is it you who asked for a "little fancy" on the bow ribbon, or not?
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

didier wrote:Very, very nice hat, fine color of felt :tup:.

Is it you who asked for a "little fancy" on the bow ribbon, or not?
From memory I asked for an Indy style bow with a bit of flair. I really like it.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Indiana Jeff wrote:That last one is very interesting. Never heard of a straw/felt combo like that. How is the straw connected to the felt brim?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
He cuts the felt up on the crown leaving enough to sew onto the the straw. It takes two hats to make one. So it can cost you a little more, but I've been collecting numerous Cuenca Panama straw hats over the years that weren't anything special and was willing to sacrifice them for a unique combo. It is a vintage style that came out a long time ago but you don't see them much. I actually have 2 of them. Here is the first one he did for me. The felt is rabbit. With a gray blue color.
For anyone wanting a great alternative to a Fed Deluxe, you can't beat Mikes 100% beaver felt and yes it is from Winchester. And of course he can make what ever style of fedora you want as well. For the beaver he will add on another $25. for an edge binding, but the raw edge is only $175. You can't beat the price and the work for that IMHO. And I'm picky.

fedoralover

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

$25 for Edge binding? I have a black beaver felt I'd LOVE to have the brim edge added. Is that what he charges for that single task on an existing hat? :-k

I've dropped them an email to ask.

Good to see you around, by the way, FL! :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Geno
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Geno »

Color me intrigued by that Indy style hat!

Any chance of getting a straight-on frontal shot and one from the back as well?
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

tedquinton wrote:
indyhan wrote:

yes, please, pics !
I asked Mike for a generic Indy hat. I wasn't looking for any particular scene or for it to be SA. I just wanted a quality hat with an Indy vibe.

This is what Mike sent me. I think he cracked it.

wow, nice hat !
is this the one Mike posted on his facebook page ?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I think it's time for a pecan colored fedora to hit my inventory....

Beaver Winchester felt hat at this price. I don't think I can resist.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I think it's time for a pecan colored fedora to hit my inventory....

Beaver Winchester felt hat at this price. I don't think I can resist.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Trust me....For that amount of money, and the short time he makes the hats in? Mike is exceptional....I am heavily considering ordering a second from him already...Something I'd have done before but was stopped from by the prices.....

Well worth it...In my humble opinion..
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

fedoralover wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:That last one is very interesting. Never heard of a straw/felt combo like that. How is the straw connected to the felt brim?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
He cuts the felt up on the crown leaving enough to sew onto the the straw. It takes two hats to make one. So it can cost you a little more, but I've been collecting numerous Cuenca Panama straw hats over the years that weren't anything special and was willing to sacrifice them for a unique combo. It is a vintage style that came out a long time ago but you don't see them much. I actually have 2 of them. Here is the first one he did for me. The felt is rabbit. With a gray blue color.
For anyone wanting a great alternative to a Fed Deluxe, you can't beat Mikes 100% beaver felt and yes it is from Winchester. And of course he can make what ever style of fedora you want as well. For the beaver he will add on another $25. for an edge binding, but the raw edge is only $175. You can't beat the price and the work for that IMHO. And I'm picky.

fedoralover

I love this combo Panama / Felt

I have two like that from Art Fawcett he call this style the Dualist

I find these hats really useful during summer and while traveling.

You can handle them with a little less care than a full panama.

Here one of mine :

fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

I just checked on the lastest price for a Fed Deluxe and they have come down to $160. They were up much higher the last time I checked. Still, for 15.00 more you can get a custom 100% beaver felt fedora from Mike at Northwest Hats. As some here have already seen, it's a heck of a deal. High quality for a very decent price.

fedora
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

Geno wrote:Color me intrigued by that Indy style hat!

Any chance of getting a straight-on frontal shot and one from the back as well?
I think I'm allowed 2 more images so here goes:

I think this is the same hat that is on Mike's facebook page, I've just tightened the pinch a tad.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

yummy !

can't wait to get my (chocolate brown) Richard-Gere-in-Cotton-Club-like fedora from Mike...
tedquinton
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by tedquinton »

fedoralover wrote:I just checked on the lastest price for a Fed Deluxe and they have come down to $160. They were up much higher the last time I checked. Still, for 15.00 more you can get a custom 100% beaver felt fedora from Mike at Northwest Hats. As some here have already seen, it's a heck of a deal. High quality for a very decent price.

fedora
And that does not include shipping. Factor that in and it's a no brainer.
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

tedquinton wrote:
fedoralover wrote:I just checked on the lastest price for a Fed Deluxe and they have come down to $160. They were up much higher the last time I checked. Still, for 15.00 more you can get a custom 100% beaver felt fedora from Mike at Northwest Hats. As some here have already seen, it's a heck of a deal. High quality for a very decent price.

fedora
And that does not include shipping. Factor that in and it's a no brainer.
plus you don't get the extra customs taxes when you're in great britain (alas, i live in France, customs taxes galore guaranteed)
real bargain !

mine should be in my hands next week !
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

A gentleman from The Fedoralounge just posted these pics of a hat he had Mike at Northwest Hats make for him. I hope he doesn't mind me reposting them here. But the show the quality of Mikes work. I love the detail on the bow.
fedoralover

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Wow! Cool hat! Like the pinch in this one and that bow work is outstanding! W>