J.M. Whips: Lethal elegance at the speed of sound

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whipwarrior

J.M. Whips: Lethal elegance at the speed of sound

Post by whipwarrior »

Back in the late 1990’s when I began to seriously pursue the Indiana Jones outfit, I became enamored with the David Morgan bullwhip and lost no time acquiring one from the official craftsman of Indy’s signature weapon. In fact, it was the first real item of gear that I purchased. I went through several DM whips in varying lengths before finally settling on the wonderful 8-footer that’s brought me supreme happiness the past twelve years. But at the same time, there was Another. It was a rare and obscure 16-plait version of David’s 451 series Indy, termed the Classic Bullwhip, advertised in his catalog immediately after its world-famous counterpart.

After my first authentic Indy bullwhip, I quickly became intrigued with the Classic model. The intricate, finely braided lash seduced me with its sleek form and the promise of the beautifully lethal song it would whisper through the air. My fascination grew into obsession as I longed for this leather masterpiece. If it had been any other kind of whip, I wouldn’t have cared less: an Australian bullwhip, a blacksnake, a stockwhip, whatever. But the fact that it was specifically (and very obviously) a variation of the Indy bullwhip meant I simply had to own it. Unfortunately, David’s prices reflected his legendary status, and this particular whip was simply unattainable regardless of how badly I desired it. Yet it remained my Holy Grail, eternally glowing on the flame-lit altar of some ancient cavern in the desert long after it vanished from David’s catalog after a brief period of availability.

And so I moved on, content with my David Morgan as I dutifully collected the rest of my Indy gear over the years. But the Classic Bullwhip floated restlessly in the depths of my psyche like a mirage, teasing me from the distant past. Time and again, it would spring to the forefront of my mind whenever an ‘ultimate bullwhip’ discussion broke out at Club Obi Wan:
The Ultimate Indy Whip
If money was no object, what would your perfect whip be? What kind of hide? How about plaiting?
8-foot David Morgan 16-plait Classic Bullwhip with 4-inch handle (like my DM custom).

What are your dream whips?
David Morgan 16-strand Classic Bullwhip, 8-ft (cost $800 back in the day; I would practically kill to own one of these now!)
I’ve always lamented The One that Got Away. Everyone here can identify with this. All of us are sorrowed by an unrealized item of Indy gear, or a prized relic that slipped through their grasp due to fate or circumstances. Well dreams really can come true. Today I am tremendously pleased to announce that my 15-year quest has finally ended. At long last I can unequivocally say that I now possess my Ultimate whip.

Whipmaking prodigy Jeremy McEachern has sculpted a dream in leather: a glass-smooth 16-strand bullwhip that flows through the air like a liquid razor. The immaculately plaited lash is braided with supreme skill and keen attention to detail. Following the design of Morgan’s Classic bullwhip, the overlay begins with an intricately laced 8-seam parquet pattern that neatly blends into the traditional herringbone style, sheathing the elegantly-tapered thong down to a robust 8-strand point. The narrow, precisely-beveled kangaroo strands lattice together tightly with machine-like perfection for optimal aerodynamic flow. The J.M. bullwhip faithfully captures the distinctive silhouette of Morgan’s traditional Indiana Jones whip, from the bulbous mahogany heel knot to the braided nylon cracker. But taken in hand, it’s a whole different animal.

Comparatively speaking, if the 12-plait Indy is a finely-tuned Volkswagen, then Jeremy’s 16-plait version is a sleek Mercedes, precision-engineered for superior performance. This whip is tight and responsive, with a comfortably solid heft that practically radiates the kinetic power waiting to be unleashed within those rigid leather coils. A simultaneous trial proved that the J.M. bullwhip is marginally heavier than the David Morgan equivalent. The DM rolls out smooth and springy, producing a satisfyingly sharp crack, while the J.M. hurtles forward like a parabolic arrow, emitting a vicious snarl before delivering a resonating supersonic thunderclap. The dynamic action can be attributed to its compact, densely layered body of drum-stuffed kangaroo, generously packed with plaiting grease. When drawn back for another throw, the well-balanced lash returns with a substantial hiss, eager to strike again. Bottom line: this whip handles like a dream.

While David Morgan, the man who single-handedly reinvigorated the industry, is all but legend, Jeremy McEachern is making whip history right now. After seeing the scope of talent displayed on his website, I was confident that Jeremy could make my all-time dream whip, but I’m still in awe at seeing it turned into a reality. This is virtually the exact bullwhip I’ve always wanted. It couldn’t be more perfect. Every one of his whips is a work of art, but this one is an aesthetic masterpiece. In addition to being a gifted craftsman with quality of exceptionally high caliber, Jeremy’s customer service skills are unparalleled. He welcomed my collaboration in the design process, patiently fielding my requests and making suggestions with an expert’s attention to detail. This is easily the most pleasant customer experience I’ve ever had in purchasing a whip.

I’ve been throwing leather for almost 20 years, so I am fairly qualified to say that this is, in my opinion, the absolute pinnacle of whipmaking. Jeremy McEachern has definitely established a reputation as a true professional in the field. For top-quality, professionally-made whips, J.M. delivers! :whip:

Now, share the moment of glory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDbrwmbLY7o

Here is Jeremy's video showing the Classic bullwhip in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrhcm7Ge3w

P.S. - Thanks to Tibor for the DM catalog scans! :TOH:

Hi-res image: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5340/9638 ... b5b5_o.jpg

Hi-res image: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/9641 ... 377b_o.jpg

Hi-res image: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2829/9641 ... e2d1_o.jpg

Hi-res image: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/9642 ... ed12_o.jpg

Hi-res image: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2831/9638 ... aea1_o.jpg

The complete set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9911326@N0 ... 316646797/
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: J.M. Whips: Lethal elegance at the speed of sound

Post by moses »

Nice! I've seen an original come up for sale now and again over the years too - so they are attainable if you are patient and keep your eyes open.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

It looks awesome. Great job on replicating that piece of history. I love the buttknot, Jeremy - you should make all your Indy knots this way - bigger and more bulbous.

This is Adam Winrich's Classic bullwhip - https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7399_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Am I right that the buttknot is more than 3 pass being 4 pass?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

moses wrote:Nice! I've seen an original come up for sale now and again over the years too - so they are attainable if you are patient and keep your eyes open.
Yeah, there was a custom 10-foot Morgan Classic on eBay back in 2011 for about $800, as I recall. Luckily, the ad included nearly a dozen pictures showing every part of the whip in detail which I saved for posterity, not realizing that one day I would be able to use them to have a copy of the whip made, but that's exactly how it worked out. I also scoured the COW archives and Google for other examples of the DM Classic, providing a solid reference for Jeremy's work. The final product speaks for itself. The trouble with buying an original DM are twofold. First, the whip was very expensive from the outset, and I don't think David sold many of them because of it. Secondly, those who did buy one back in the day know its value, are unlikely to part with them, and jack up their prices if they do. And truthfully, I'd rather have a brand new whip than a pre-owned one, regardless of its pedigree. I've used Morgan whips exclusively since 1997, and the moment I opened the box and saw Jeremy's whip, it was instant familiarity. Not a single detail was misplaced. I set my DM Indy alongside it and they were like a pair of matched bookends. Took it outside and threw it around, it felt perfect. If you put it in a box with a David Morgan shipping label, nobody could tell the difference except perhaps the man himself. Anyway, I am a 100% satisfied customer. My whip quest is over. :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nice acquisition, warrior. Like reuniting with the one that got away.:)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Exactly! And I couldn't be happier! :D
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Awesome! Quite the review!

And I agree, I also believe that Jeremy's skills are pretty fantastic. He's made a whip for my whipcracking group (only his FOURTEENTH EVER!) and it's fantastic. Then a friend of mine owns #20, and it's something to behold. And in case anyone doesn't know, Jeremy's made a couple of whips for Mr. Anthony DeLongis, who I know is quite impressed. If you can believe it, Jeremy has only made about 50 whips by this point, and by the looks and the quality you'd think he'd made a few hundred by now. No joke.

Absolutely excited for Jeremy to make me another! (got one on order, in fact)

Congrats, Whip Warrior! Enjoy it! (btw, where'd you get the Jones Bullwhip t-shirt?)

DHW :whip:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks, Daren. I found the shirt here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/robgo/w ... ?p=t-shirt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Dale, are you able to weigh this whip? How does it compare to your Morgan whip in weight?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

First off, thanks to dale for the awesome idea and the great review!

Also, thanks to everyone for their compliments on the whip. Its much appreciated!

Tomek, I can't say for sure but id be willing to bet its heavier mainly because its brand new, but of course I can't say that for sure. I may just dress my bolsters heavier, that's the only thing I could think of varying it enough to have a marked difference in weight.

Thanks again to everyone!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Compared to my 12-y.o. David Morgan, Jeremy's whip is marginally heavier, but that may be attributed to the plaiting soap. After a decade of use, even a well cared-for whip probably loses some of its original weight due to the natural evaporation of the 'factory' oils. Regardless, both whips handle spectacularly! :D