Indy Trousers from Todd's Costumes (With pictures)!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Indy Trousers from Todd's Costumes (With pictures)!

Post by Charybdis »

Update on the trouser saga:

I had ordered the pants and when I went to have them hemmed up, I made the terrible mistake of wearing sneakers when I went in to my tailor!! (I know, BIG mistake, but I was on the way somewhere else and didn't plan as well as I should have)...end result, the pants came out great, but for some reason they seemed a bit short when I wore my Indy boots. Not enough to look bad, but I noticed a bit.

I didn't really think anything of it, but a couple of weeks ago, I was at work wearing the pants and the boots when I caught my reflection in a glass in the hallway, and when I was walking right toward it, I definitely noticed that the pants were just a bit too short for my liking! Now what? I had two options: sell them as is and hope that someone could use them in the proper size or take them back to the tailor to try and fix them.

I took them home and measured the inseam, sure enough they measured right at 28." I usually wear at least a 30 so I knew right then and there what my mistake had been and why they seemed a bit short. I decided that it would just be quicker and easier to take them back to the tailor and if they could not be easily fixed, I would just use them as "torn up" Indy pants instead!!

The long result? The tailor let them out two inches and now they fit absolutely perfect!!! I was worried about the fold showing once they were let down, but they pressed them real nice and there's nothing showing. The only thing I did lose however was the military hem. I had them hemmed at 3" but to let them down 2" the pants now have just a very normal 1" hem at the bottom. But no biggie, you can't even see it...

So, my pants are now perfect!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I just received my first pair of Todd's trousers in yesterday's mail and..what can I say? They are spot on! Great look. Great fit. Superb quality and as always, superb customer service! They certainly don't come accross as OTR, in any way. :tup: :tup: ! Thanks Todd, et. all! W>
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Any rumors out there of these being offered in a 30 waist?
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

After the long wait I finally had enough funds to buy a pair of Todd's pants. I ordered them Thursday and they got here yesterday (Saturday).

I'm really happy with them, I only wore them for a few minutes last night but they felt great! They were comfortable and the size was just right. I was really scared they wouldn't fit, so I'm extremely happy that they do.

I guess anyone hesitant on ordering some you won't be disappointed. :D

My only main issue with the pants is the bottom hem, and by that I mean that it's not there. In the photos that Tundrarider posted at the top of the page you can clearly see the hem. On my pants... it's sadly not there, well not on mine anyway. Does everyone else have the same issue or did I just get the defective pair of pants without a hem? lol

James
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:After the long wait I finally had enough funds to buy a pair of Todd's pants. I ordered them Thursday and they got here yesterday (Saturday).

I'm really happy with them, I only wore them for a few minutes last night but they felt great! They were comfortable and the size was just right. I was really scared they wouldn't fit, so I'm extremely happy that they do.

I guess anyone hesitant on ordering some you won't be disappointed. :D

My only main issue with the pants is the bottom hem, and by that I mean that it's not there. In the photos that Tundrarider posted at the top of the page you can clearly see the hem. On my pants... it's sadly not there, well not on mine anyway. Does everyone else have the same issue or did I just get the defective pair of pants without a hem? lol

James
I certainly 'have a hymn,' oops, I mean 'hem.' No, I don't have any issues with mine. Every 'stitch' is in place. I am quite pleased with these trousers! W>
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

Tundrarider wrote:
DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:My only main issue with the pants is the bottom hem, and by that I mean that it's not there. In the photos that Tundrarider posted at the top of the page you can clearly see the hem. On my pants... it's sadly not there, well not on mine anyway. Does everyone else have the same issue or did I just get the defective pair of pants without a hem? lol

James
Hi James,

I believe that this type of hem is suppossed to be a hidden stitch, where the thread grabs the material, but doesn't go all the way through. Sometimes the stitch is hidden better than others from one pair of pants to another. In the screen grab you mentioned, that stitch is visible, but again, I'm not sure that this was intentional.

JC1972 received a pair with the seam showing. He didn't like it and returned it for an exchange. I just looked at my pants and though the actual stitching isn't visible, there is a faint shadow where the seam is. Fine with me! ;)

If you really want that "stitched" look, it would be easy enough for a tailor to run a stitch around there. I'd recommend printing that screen shot so you could show them exactly "the look" you want. (They'll probably think you're crazy to spoil such an nice hidden hem! :P )

:lol:

Michael :TOH:

Awesome thanks for the help! I looked at my pants a little closer, since it's daylight out now, and see what you mean about the hidden stitch. You can just see a faint view of the stitch coming through. So if they are suppose to be like that I'm fine with that, your post made me feel a lot better.lol

Also I was thinking of taking them to a tailor if they were suppose to have the stitching like in the photos.

Thanks again for the help I really do appreciate it!!!

James
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

What is the actual color of the Raiders pants called?
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Ive got my tracking number, cant wait for my new trousers to arrive :notworthy:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

ChrisMD wrote:What is the actual color of the Raiders pants called?
They are modeled on wool military officers 'pinks'. Beyond that the actual color is light-dark-medium-khaki-taupe-brown-tan-britishtan-beige-coffee-mocha-bark-sand-moretan-anothershadeofkhaki. :?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:What is the actual color of the Raiders pants called?
They are modeled on wool military officers 'pinks'. Beyond that the actual color is light-dark-medium-khaki-taupe-brown-tan-britishtan-beige-coffee-mocha-bark-sand-moretan-anothershadeofkhaki. :?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Exactly. Describing the color is like nailing Jell-o to a wall.
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Okay, so I've poured over this particular thread twice now, trying to get some kind of hint how to measure.

This is my confusion:

I've worn 34x32 pants for a few years now. I don't even try on pants, I see 34x32, it fits. Granted, this is mostly with jeans.

Now, Todd's Costume says to go ahead and measure your waist with a tape measure. I measured with my jeans on, just above the top of where my jeans are...and it says I'm a 39 waist? Is that right? Can my pants size and my waist size really be that far off?

I've worn 36 waist pants and they feel baggy, I can't imagine ordering a pair of pants even larger than that. And I really can't imagine such a large gap between what I normally wear for pants and what I measured myself.

I saw in past posts generally "I measured myself and I'm X and ordered that and it fits!" But what I haven't seen are posts along the lines of "Normally I get X size, then I measured myself and I'm a Y and I ordered Y from Todd's and they fit great/bad/loose/tight"

(Just trying to get a general idea of how far off (if any) people are between what they normally wear vs what they ordered when they measured themselves.)

Any hints or tips about how to go forward with this?

My only other idea is going to a tailor and ask them to measure my pants size.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

curtishart wrote:Okay, so I've poured over this particular thread twice now, trying to get some kind of hint how to measure.

This is my confusion:

I've worn 34x32 pants for a few years now. I don't even try on pants, I see 34x32, it fits. Granted, this is mostly with jeans.

Now, Todd's Costume says to go ahead and measure your waist with a tape measure. I measured with my jeans on, just above the top of where my jeans are...and it says I'm a 39 waist? Is that right? Can my pants size and my waist size really be that far off?

I've worn 36 waist pants and they feel baggy, I can't imagine ordering a pair of pants even larger than that. And I really can't imagine such a large gap between what I normally wear for pants and what I measured myself.

I saw in past posts generally "I measured myself and I'm X and ordered that and it fits!" But what I haven't seen are posts along the lines of "Normally I get X size, then I measured myself and I'm a Y and I ordered Y from Todd's and they fit great/bad/loose/tight"

(Just trying to get a general idea of how far off (if any) people are between what they normally wear vs what they ordered when they measured themselves.)

I currently wear a size 32 in jeans but in normal dress pants, especially Indy style, I probably wear 34 or 36.
You'd be surprised how much of a difference there is.... unless you ahve the stomach of Ryan Reynolds....
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I wouldn't use jeans as a metric to measure. The cut and rise of jeans will be very different from dress trousers. And the way these particular trousers are cut in a more vintage style with extra length in the rise so the waist typically fits higher on the body than jeans would. I wear my Todd's trouser pretty much at my belly button (not that it will ever be mistaken for Ryan Reynold's abs :[ ) while most of my jeans sit a couple of inches below that.

Sadly, almost all of us have larger waists than our labels would have us believe. It can be by a few inches. If you are leery about your actual waist measurement, take a pair of dress trousers (not jeans) and measure the actual waist of those. You'll likely find they come in larger than 34". :cry: Again, pay attention to where the trousers sit on your body. Some members have complained about Todd's pants being too baggy in the crotch, but that will happen if they are worn too low which is where most 'modern' trousers are cut to fit.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

curtishart wrote:Okay, so I've poured over this particular thread twice now, trying to get some kind of hint how to measure.

This is my confusion:

If it helps I wear a 32-34" jean, my westeds were 38 and HUGE, tried a mates 36" Todds on and they a tadge loose so I went with a 35" x 32 Todds, Il let you know how they fit when they get here :TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Curtis, don't worry about what your pants say vs. what your actual waist says. I believe that the clothing manufacturers have pulled some sort of trickery on us so we will not get too depressed when all of us are walking around wearing jeans that say 39" on the tag!!

But it does bring up an important point in ordering from Todd's. He does not sell according to these manufacturer waist sizes, he sells his pants on ACTUAL waist size, that's why he says you have to measure your waist and order based upon that number. Forget about your pants size in this deal, go with your actual waist size.

I know the feeling, I usually wear 36" pants and I ordered a 39" from Todd. They fit perfect! So don't worry about the numbers except in giving him the actual waist size and you should be OK...
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Appreciate the feedback and opinions from everyone about this and clarifying my dilemma :TOH:
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Got my trousers through today and they are AWESOME!!!!! :whip:

The fit is perfect glad I went down to a 35x32, now just got to wait for my new shirt and aldens to turn up that I got from a fellow COW member
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

Agreed that these are awesome trousers. Very comfortable and sooooo RAIDERS :grin:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Okay, so I bought a pair of Todd's 36x32 trousers.

(Little bit of backstory - have normally bought 34x32 pants and usually fit. I measured myself a few times and (inaccurately, apparently) measured myself at a 39 :Dietrich: )

So, I get the 36x32 and...they're too big. Rather than play 'chase the correct size' with Todd's, I take it to a tailor and get adjusted to 35x31 and they fit. However the front/back rise seems way off.

Is it supposed to feel...well...that breezy? Seems the rise is awfully low. Enough where when my legs are together I can feel the skin of my thighs touch.

I've uploaded a few pictures to show you as well:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... 0f2bad.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... 6f3979.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... 429d33.jpg

For what it's worth, my belly button is right above the belt buckle.

Anyhow, is the rise supposed to be cut this low?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I think this is normal since the pants of this era were made to sit a lot higher. The trick? Pull em up to your belly button or higher!
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

This was my only gripe with these pants and the reason I don't own a pair anymore. I bought mine back when they were first available and to my disappointment this is the problem I had as well. There is just too much space in the rise. The argument that the era demanded this cut just doesn't.., well,...'cut it'. The pants were tailored to fit Harrison Ford for the film and I have never seen any film stills that support 100% that these pants were cut this baggy due to period style. Yes, there are some shots during the S.O.C scenes that obviously support the fact that Ford lost some pounds due to heat and sickness and would make the pants appear to be more loose than in other scenes, but they were pretty standard fit fitted dress trousers which would give them a draping effect like normal fitted dress trousers would. I believe that this particular cut/style was worked into the product design to give the "effect" that we see in those famous screen grabs, however, this doesn't work for every body type. My waist is a 38", ordered the the 39's and i could pull these pants up to my rib cage and still have a little space in rise. It's an O.T.R. cut and it just won't work for everyone. My grandmother is a seamstress and she says that the only way to take out the rise is to undo the waist and take away the length from there. The only problem with that is dis-proportioned dimensions in the remainder of the hip area, like the side and rear pockets. They will appear to have moved up, closer to the waistline. The best advise is to get a pair tailored to your specs, but that's the more expensive route. If I could have the pants Todd offered tailored to me like my Magnoli's I think I would have the perfect pair. Mag's are great, but the fabric color and feel are completely different. they're not bad, just different.

jlhampton
Kustomkid
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kustomkid »

:TOH: My pair of trousers arrived the other day and all I can say is wow! The waist fit great and will need to have them hemed since that was all Todds had left.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Kustomkid wrote::TOH: My pair of trousers arrived the other day and all I can say is wow! The waist fit great and will need to have them hemed since that was all Todds had left.
wash them and they will shrink up 3"..i did mine AFTER i had them altered..now they are a good 3" short on me..just hanging up in closet..will never wear again.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Um, youngjedi71
wash them and they will shrink up 3"..i did mine AFTER i had them altered..now they are a good 3" short on me..just hanging up in closet..will never wear again.
I do hope your kidding with this advice, Todds pants are strictly dry clean, washu=ing them will ruin them or is this why there hanging in the closet never to be worn again. :-k

And it does take some getting used to, with all that extra room in the rise.
Croft :mrgreen:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

Indiana Croft wrote:Um, youngjedi71
I do hope your kidding with this advice, Todds pants are strictly dry clean, washu=ing them will ruin them or is this why there hanging in the closet never to be worn again. :-k

And it does take some getting used to, with all that extra room in the rise.
Think my tag says otherwise
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

The tag states they can be washed in cold water I think....And they probably can....But I know the result water has on wool, and even with that, I'd never trust my washing machine with trousers as nice as the Todds....I dry clean them...Indeed, I remember when Todd first told us all about them he recommended that method over washing...But it does make sense...Wool being washed isn't wise....We all know it, because none of us (I hope) think washing a wool suit in the washing machine makes "sense"....It doesn't....

But yes, the label does state cold water washing is ok if I remember rightly...I wouldn't trust that, but I've also seen people do it with only small ill effects...

Did you wash in the cold water alone? Handwash? Or machine wash? (That'd make a difference as well of course)

If in doubt (and if they're wool) then dry clean.....Always....
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

fifthchamber wrote:The tag states they can be washed in cold water I think....And they probably can....But I know the result water has on wool, and even with that, I'd never trust my washing machine with trousers as nice as the Todds....I dry clean them...Indeed, I remember when Todd first told us all about them he recommended that method over washing...But it does make sense...Wool being washed isn't wise....We all know it, because none of us (I hope) think washing a wool suit in the washing machine makes "sense"....It doesn't....

But yes, the label does state cold water washing is ok if I remember rightly...I wouldn't trust that, but I've also seen people do it with only small ill effects...

Did you wash in the cold water alone? Handwash? Or machine wash? (That'd make a difference as well of course)

I washed in machine cold..and dried on very low heat for a few min..You dont remember when I did that?? I was so ticked they shrunk..I even tried selling but no real takers. Like I said,..should have washed before getting them hemmed up..would have saved some money..lol..
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

My apologies youngjedi71, I just looked and your right. :oops:
Just didn't remember this fact. #-o

Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Sorry to hear about the shrinking! Cold water should be fine - but NO HEAT anywhere along the way. Heat is what makes the wool fibers contract. Apparently, it doesn't take much heat to make it happen.

Dry cleaning is the safe route.

-Todd

Regarding the rise - I could be slightly off, but judging by the size and number of fly buttons, the width of the fly, and the height of the waistband, I think I'm right. Maybe I'm off by 1/2" somewhere. If you look at stills from Raiders, you can see how low the crotch hangs - it's part of the look. Of course, everything looks better on Harrison Ford...
curtishart
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by curtishart »

Puppetboy wrote:Regarding the rise - I could be slightly off, but judging by the size and number of fly buttons, the width of the fly, and the height of the waistband, I think I'm right. Maybe I'm off by 1/2" somewhere. If you look at stills from Raiders, you can see how low the crotch hangs - it's part of the look. Of course, everything looks better on Harrison Ford...
Right. And my original post about it wasn't a gripe or complaint. More of a confirming this is how it's supposed to be. It is what it is, and I'm enjoying the #### out of the pants regardless.

:TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

youngjedi71 wrote:
fifthchamber wrote:The tag states they can be washed in cold water I think....And they probably can....But I know the result water has on wool, and even with that, I'd never trust my washing machine with trousers as nice as the Todds....I dry clean them...Indeed, I remember when Todd first told us all about them he recommended that method over washing...But it does make sense...Wool being washed isn't wise....We all know it, because none of us (I hope) think washing a wool suit in the washing machine makes "sense"....It doesn't....

I washed in machine cold..and dried on very low heat for a few min..You dont remember when I did that?? I was so ticked they shrunk..I even tried selling but no real takers. Like I said,..should have washed before getting them hemmed up..would have saved some money..lol..
Yeah...I remember mate.....I reckon the drying did it...I would be ok (ish) with cold water washing some of my woolen clothes, but since I don't have a clothes dryer (they don't use them in Japan, it's all sunlight or nothing), I wasn't ever facing that option to dry them....

Like Todd said, that'll be it...The combo of a wash and a hot drying in the machine isn't cool for wool...
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

hi, i have wested (100% wool) pants , to wash them i just wait for a nice sunny day, plunge them in cold water ,gently wring them out then just hang them out to dry.i have never suffered any ill effects and think the pants look better for it . finally ,when dry, a quick once over with the iron ( no leg creases !) and your ready for your next adventure. :)
709eagle
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by 709eagle »

I found that Todd's pants were way to wide in the leg compared to Wested's pants and when you compare them to screen shots. The pant leg was 2" wider and the front and seat way too baggy.

Now I am 5' 7'' amd 155lbs but in proportion I had to get them adjusted.

I also ordered two new shirts from Todd's recently of which I already had four of his but the colour was way darker than the first four. I made a comment on his website but no reply was made.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Todd...you out there????

Will you be making any more pants in waist sizes 38,39 or 40?
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

It seems that another run of pants is in limbo right now due to the high cost of manufacturing such a large run of special material. If it does happen though, I'd like to see some larger waist sizes. [-o<
Last edited by Solent MKIII on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinder91
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pinder91 »

I vote for some pre-orders to front the material purchase!
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

If you check out Todd's Facebook page, he's asking just for that. He'll probably update sometime soon in the vendor section. I myself am in the process of purchasing a pair of trousers from him now. I'll include pictures whenever they arrive.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I know Todd said you can let the pants out up to 2 inches, but how about taking them in?

with these being discontinued I really want to jump at a pair but I'm in the process of losing weight and want these babies to still fit in the future.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In general a pair of trousers can be taken in up to 2". Any more than that and the overall structure of the trousers get thrown off.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

backstagejack wrote:I know Todd said you can let the pants out up to 2 inches, but how about taking them in?

with these being discontinued I really want to jump at a pair but I'm in the process of losing weight and want these babies to still fit in the future.
I just found this thread!!! :lol:

The trousers are made exactly like the originals, meaning easy to alter at the waist. You could take them in an inch or 2 - or buy a smaller pair and let them out temporarily.

Todd
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I recently got mine before he sold out.
While I love the color, fabric and overall comfort - more than a few people have commented how it looks too baggy in the crotch. I'm starting to get a little self concious wearing this out now because most of the time it seems that's the first comment I get.
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

generalFROSTY wrote:I recently got mine before he sold out.
While I love the color, fabric and overall comfort - more than a few people have commented how it looks too baggy in the crotch. I'm starting to get a little self concious wearing this out now because most of the time it seems that's the first comment I get.
they are roomy for sure, but I like my pants like that, though I haven;t been wearing them around town yet since I don't have them hemd yet.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

generalFROSTY wrote:While I love the color, fabric and overall comfort - more than a few people have commented how it looks too baggy in the crotch. I'm starting to get a little self concious wearing this out now because most of the time it seems that's the first comment I get.
They're pretty baggy anyway, and they seem baggier in the crotch because they were designed as high-waisted trousers, as was the fashion back then.

I wear mine just an inch or two below my belly button to alleviate this a bit. It doesn't look as goofy as you think. There's a frontal color photo floating around on COW of a shirtless HF on-set (don't know which movie) wearing his in the same place.
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

When a man dares doing that
and that
and also that
then he must have ... well , you know what I mean ... hence the "baggy in the crotch" trousers. :lol:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

You got a point here! :lol:
ThatManFromRio wrote:When a man dares doing that
and that
and also that
then he must have ... well , you know what I mean ... hence the "baggy in the crotch" trousers. :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

LC doesn't look like that, have a gander:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3079834880/ ... all_bts_47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They fit like normal pants.

With the action sequences outside in the Tunisia sun, sweaty, sick, loss of fluid and weight, the trousers would settle on the hip bone....accounting for the bagginess.

Todd is out of these pants at the moment, but try Wested.