Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by fifthchamber »

Canada Jones wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:Yeah, I was kinda curious too, as to what the jacket would look like. I think rainwater changes its appearance differently than even tap water, but I can't confirm it. When the Wested LC jacket was in a rainstorm, the leather seemed to soak up the moisture like a sponge and change the texture of the leather somewhat. Natural rainwater, minerals, I don't know, but I noticed a difference than when regular tap was used.
Doesn't most tap water have chlorine and flouride in it? Would that make any difference to the way it reacted to the jacket (other than the expected no cavities jokes....)?

Not in the amounts contained in regular drinking water....Rainfall (depending on your area) is relatively more "pure", but there's nothing special about either in the effect on leather...The difference comes with the leather you're getting wet..Some are more porous..Some more resistant..Some have better protection, some have less...So those factors change the effect you see...But outside of the leather, this is a bit silly...There's no difference in what counts between rainfall and tap water when soaking your jacket.....

Except the jacket.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

fifthchamber wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:Yeah, I was kinda curious too, as to what the jacket would look like. I think rainwater changes its appearance differently than even tap water, but I can't confirm it. When the Wested LC jacket was in a rainstorm, the leather seemed to soak up the moisture like a sponge and change the texture of the leather somewhat. Natural rainwater, minerals, I don't know, but I noticed a difference than when regular tap was used.
Doesn't most tap water have chlorine and flouride in it? Would that make any difference to the way it reacted to the jacket (other than the expected no cavities jokes....)?

Not in the amounts contained in regular drinking water....Rainfall (depending on your area) is relatively more "pure", but there's nothing special about either in the effect on leather...The difference comes with the leather you're getting wet..Some are more porous..Some more resistant..Some have better protection, some have less...So those factors change the effect you see...But outside of the leather, this is a bit silly...There's no difference in what counts between rainfall and tap water when soaking your jacket.....

Except the jacket.
and by tap water I meant regular drinking water.....
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

trdaggers- this just confirms our observations that this thing is ready to wear right outa the box.....no need to break in or treat or even artificially distress (unless of course you really want that just crawled out of the WoS look :lol: ) This jacket is so freakin awesome. I love me Bill Kelso and the Relic Hunter!

:roll:

ok, sorry...just had to get that off my chest!
Carry on.....
:H:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Does this answer my question ??? I posted on the Nowak vs. Kelso thread and boy am I sorry !! Didn't mean to get caught in the tennis match although valid arguments. So here's the question, I was ready to buy a Wested Hero but for around $130.00 USD more I can get the Kelso Relic Hunter what do you guys think ?? I'd rather have a quality piece than a closet full of been there done thats. Well ??
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

If you have the extra 130...Go for the Kelso...

I don't know how the leather (basic price leather) compares to the Wested Shrunken Lamb skins....But I'd say either way, with Kelso you're safe..You'll have a great jacket, with a good skin used..And perfect design...

If you have the cash..I would...(Despite my personal preference for Wested..)
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Kelso says the cheaper one, and by the way the one looks closest to Raiders, is in authentic brown(looks greyer) in grainy lambskin. Yay or nay ?? I've seen the the other Lambskin and it's in a more chocolate brown and a newer look and like 6 bills ($600 and change for those that don't know street !! ha ha )All the help is appreciated thanks guys !!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Itfoley has some great shots of his grainy lamb on page 5 of this thread. Based on his photos, looks like very warm undertones. This leather, thicker, would make a great LC.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I think the Kelso lamb at the upper end was stunning....The "normal" lamb wasn't amazing..But either way, the design is good, and if you happen to like the cheaper lamb, then you have the answer eh? I wouldn't agree that the cheaper skin they use is "more Raiders"...But it's not a million miles off...And probably worth the extra 130...

If it was me, and I was ordering a Kelso, I'd feel that the striated lambskin is the best option out there....The other lamb they have is good..But (to me) a little too pedestrian...I like the look of the striated leathers they source though...If you're ok with a fairly "normal" looking leather, the Wested works just as well....But Kelso's upper range is a large step away in my opinion, and worth the jump..

If you want a decent leather, at a lower cost, go Wested Hero with the shrunken Lamb...If you don't mind paying and want a better leather with a great design, use Kelso and go striated...

I would think....
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

The striated lamb also appears to change colors in different lighting conditions the way the film jacket did.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

micsteam wrote:Kelso says the cheaper one, and by the way the one looks closest to Raiders, is in authentic brown(looks greyer) in grainy lambskin. Yay or nay ?? I've seen the the other Lambskin and it's in a more chocolate brown and a newer look and like 6 bills ($600 and change for those that don't know street !! ha ha )All the help is appreciated thanks guys !!
I have the Striated and you are right about the color. I wanted a deeper (like dark chocolate or TODDS) but was told they only have the 1 color. I have seen their work in the darker shade I wanted, but I'm thinking it could be the lighting (like Texan Scott said). BTW, I guess I "don't know the street" cause I paid 8 bills not 6. So if I'm missing something, pls message me the 411.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

After checking the Blu Ray versions with the cleaned up image...I'd say the Striated from Kelso is actually almost bang on...Deep, warm brown...With lighter tones in good light....

In all honesty, the jacket being so dark really had more to do with the lighting used than the actual jackets colour it would seem...There also don't seem to be the "grey" undertones we all thought we could see...The jacket seems to be a lovely warm brown colour....Which is why I would recommend the striated lamb that Kelso sells...

However, it's priced accordingly, and if that's too high, then I'd fall back on the Wested shrunken lamb (which for the price is still a perfect colour and texture, and the design is fine as well..)

In my opinion..
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I try to be conscious of a guy who has budgeted around $500 for a jacket...just reach up a little higher and spend the extra $300...the price of a good jacket, in its own right. This is difficult to do, but I think if I can simply lay the facts out there, it makes it easier for one to make the right desisions for himself. Several of us now own the BK in striated lamb, and each of the guys are saying basically the same things.

If someone can post the image of Indy behind the barrels photo, you really get a feel for the texture of the jacket's skin due to the dust on it, really highlights the striations too.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I have not one regret about spending the money on the Kelso.

Gailen
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Our nights and mornings have been cool and days warm. But lately, I seem to be suffering from the Gorak disease. It's like The Mask, once you put the thing on, you can't seem to take it off! :P
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

micsteam wrote:Kelso says the cheaper one, and by the way the one looks closest to Raiders, is in authentic brown(looks greyer) in grainy lambskin. Yay or nay ?? I've seen the the other Lambskin and it's in a more chocolate brown and a newer look and like 6 bills ($600 and change for those that don't know street !! ha ha )All the help is appreciated thanks guys !!
The kelso is 600 euros not dollars...comes to about 800 dollars. Plus shipping.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Toldog07 wrote:
The kelso is 600 euros not dollars...comes to about 800 dollars. Plus shipping.
#-o , Thanks
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

I just ordered the Bill Kelso - Bermans & Nathans Relic Hunter in grainy veg tanned lamb, can't wait to get it. Been dying to get a TN but that's not gonna happen, so this should be a good one! :P :D

I was wondering if the design you get straight up when you order is the Hawaiin style, know what I mean. I haven't emailed them to specify anything. Is that what I'm going to get, anyone know? :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You get one of these: http://www.travelsmith.com/webapp/wcs/s ... redirect=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, you get the Raiders Hawaii jacket with the pointed collar unless you specify the Hero.
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Awesome, thanks. Now I'm really pumped! :TOH:

Like the shirt. ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...still waiting for Gailen to bust out with his mature Indy and give Ray a run for his money! :whip:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

The collar was one of the first things I noticed about my jacket and how it lay more flat....like the hawaii jacket. And at first I thought I would like to roll my collar but then when I thought about it, my personal impression of the Raiders jacket was when I first saw it during the opening sequence and I saw it as more of a unique adventure jacket...part of that look being the low lying collar exposing the shirt collar more and seeming more of a second skin to wear in the hot and humid jungle look! And this Kelso style mimics just that! I would like to see one in the "other" style to see how much of a difference it makes!

Today I took my jacket off.....so my wife could wear it to climb a tree!
:CR:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 151132.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 151137.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 151039.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out how "red" it looks in these shots. Reminds me alot of the look in the Blue-Ray special features of Raiders when he is entering the temple with Satipo and they laugh about a mistake. Right after I saw these shots I took it in my hands and looked at it good and in my hands, I did not see such a red tone to it. It was very dark chocolate in person.
Last edited by Gorak on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have a hard time taking mine off or leaving it at home.

It improves every minute I wear it.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Here is a shot my Hero collar...

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp13 ... ddefe5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Texan Scott on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

What's that rope burn on your neck??? Cattle rustling?

Gailen :TOH: ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Please reduce the size Tex or it will be taken down eventually.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Nice neck ya got there Scott! :P
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Anybody seen or have images of the Relic Hunter in goat? I wonder how thin it is. I've had a goatskin jacket that was kinda thick, too much for a Raiders, and also had one that was very thin, almost like lamb, but really tough. Would be great to have the best of both worlds. =P~

I'm still waiting on my BK in lamb, if it turns out as good as good as they say, I might go for a goat too. :H:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I think you're on to me, Gailen, and I can't seem to get out of it! It's not when they saddle you up nor the noose, but that sudden stop that'll get ya'! :shock:
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Kubrik
Here are some photos of leather samples sent from Kelso.
The goat is quite a bit stiffer than the lamb and seems much more substantial
than the lamb without being much thicker.
As you can see the grain is different and the goat is much darker than the lamb.

Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Top notch with this jacket. My congrats :tup:
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Canasta wrote:Kubrik
Here are some photos of leather samples sent from Kelso.
The goat is quite a bit stiffer than the lamb and seems much more substantial
than the lamb without being much thicker.
As you can see the grain is different and the goat is much darker than the lamb.
Very interesting. If it's not much thicker, with wear it will get less stiff and have more drape, getting that Raiders look.

Darker too, that's awesome.

Thanks for posting those. :TOH:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Any more pics of the full on "Hero" jacket, not just the collar? Would like to see all the tweaks together.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Texan Scott wrote:I think you're on to me, Gailen, and I can't seem to get out of it! It's not when they saddle you up nor the noose, but that sudden stop that'll get ya'! :shock:

Her's three.

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Great photos, Gailen and quite the collection!

gbu & happy holidays,

Scott :TOH:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Scott: Thanks and the same to you and yours.

Gailen
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

Where's that shirt from Gailen?
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Toldog07 wrote:Where's that shirt from Gailen?

I had to go look at which one I was wearing. It was a "Magnoli", my favorite maker of the shirt.

Gailen
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: ...and he lived Happily Ever After inside #284 / 777

Post by Swiftfoot »

(edited in the Main Hero differences and confirmed a sizing typo which has been corrected.)

Alrighty folks! Sorry for the wall of text but I’ve got some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket so I've got some questions as I’ll be taking the BK Striated Lambskin plunge very soon. :D

I’ve an email in to Andy asking for the differences between Hawaiian/Iman vs. the Main Hero jacket. From this thread I’ve learned the Hawaiian/Iman's collar is pointier but which collar is bigger?
Yes we can make a Main Hero version. The Main Hero would have the following differences:
1. Rounded storm flap top (collar stand) left side
2. Alternate style collar with more rounded collar tips.
3. More gently scalloped pocket flaps.

My main question(s) is to anyone who might own a TN CS jacket and a BK Relic Hunter (Raiders) jacket or who can give a view on the fit between the two jackets or maybe between the two patterns is more appropriate.

This quote from Texan Scott is what I’m getting at.
Texan Scott wrote:One other interesting difference, is like the Wested Hero, the back length on this jacket is similiar. Like the film jacket, it is "blousy" in front. Usually I have to order a 26" in back length, but did not specify any changes to the Kelso and it is 24", so it must be that the pattern is cut differently than what we have ordered in the past?
How far should the shoulder seam fall off the shoulder? Half inch? A full inch?

It seems a Raiders jacket should be about an 1” below the belt? Does that sound right? My TN CS is closer to 3”.

Any other comments I should consider when sizing for a Raiders pattern? I’ll definitely be adding 1.5-2” onto the sleeves.

Andy at Bill Kelso has been excellent for replying to my multiple emails. :TOH:
Things I’ve learned from Andy via emails that may be of use to some of you. Info is from the Oct. 2012, a couple of months ago. Always double check any information you may read here so you get it first hand from the vendor!. ;)

1) Regarding measurements for sizes 46 and 48.

Size 46
A>B 24 1/2
C>D 25 1/2
E>F 22 1/2
G>H 8 1/4
I>J 24 1/2
K>L 22 1/4
M>N 26 1/4

Size 48
A>B 25
C>D 26 1/2
E>F 23 1/2
G>H 8 1/2
I>J 25
K>L 23
M>N 26 ½

2) My sizing is usually TALL. Is it possible to add extra length to the sleeves and body? If yes, would there be an extra fee and if so how much would it be?
Yes it's possible to make alterations. It's free up to 2 inches. From 2 inches and above there is an extra charge of eur 25.00

3) Is the striated lamb and grainy lamb the same weight? Would they both drape the same? Is there any difference in durability between the two?
The striated lamb and the grainy lamb are the same weight. The striated lamb drapes better. The draping is not only a matter of weight but a matter of finish too. The striated lamb is naturally dyed and maintains the natural texture of the leather which enables it to drape better. It's softer too. The grainy lamb is a little more durable as its fibers are more dense than the striated lamb. That said, any lambskin jacket caught in a sticking out nail will get torn.

4) Is the goatskin now available? I'm assuming it is substantially heavier than the two lambs and that would in turn affect the drape?
The goatskin is available. It's the same we use for the Navy M422 jackets you can see on our website.
It's a little heavier (0.2mm). It is grainy, strong, very durable and a little stiff. It drapes less than lambs but it could drape good after a lot of breaking in.

5) On your Relic Hunter webpage you have 18 pictures of the jacket posted. Could you please clarify which ones are striated vs. grainy lamb and which are dark brown vs authentic brown?
The first 11 photos is the dark brown. The rest are the authentic brown.
The dark brown is not currently available. It will be next year. The authentic brown is dark enough.

6) What I’m hoping for from one your lambs is a light weight jacket, basically a leather windbreaker that I could wear during spring and fall seasons. Based on that would you say one of the lambs would be cooler temperature wise or are they essentially the same? I assume a goatskin would be a warmer jacket?
Regarding warmth they are all the same. When wearing goatskin you have the impression that it is warmer because it is heavier. But actually not. There is the shell and the lining, no insulation. You can wear the lambskin easier during the summer months. Not because it's cooler but because it's lighter it's more comfortable.

Thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far, and for any input you may have. :TOH:

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Patrick
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

I accidentally started a new thread, which I am deleting. This should go here: What a day. My Relic Hunter came in the mail and the mens store called to say my Aldons had arrived :D The jacket is perfect. Andy at Bill Kelso was fantastic about making sure I got just what I paid for! I got a size 40 and had the sleeves shortened 1" and thinned at the shoulder to match the 10" diameter used by TODD. I LOVE it. The striations are beautiful. It's night and I don't have good lighting, so I just took a few quick snaps on a tripod for your viewing pleasure ;) This is fresh out of the box. Hasn't even had time to settle it's shape.

FYI: The hat is Adventurebilt 2nd hand Rabbit from a COW member (looks like it might have a LC bash??) The shirt is Azuma from a COW member, and the pants are Kohls close enough mentioned in another post (since my Wested's are not available at the moment). The whip is an original Jeremy McEachern 8', 12 plait...and of course, Alden 405's

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Tundrarider wrote:Looks great, Ray!!! :H:

Love that back shot!!!

Michael :TOH:
Thanks, Tundrarider. That's my best side ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

nothing like a happy customer! ;)
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Right on, Ray! Looks perfect! I'm glad it all worked out. Daren has your old jacket on loan at the moment. I hope he posts pictures soon, it fits him very well, certainly better than it does me! (And oddly, his TN Raiders fits me like it was custom made for me).
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Baldwyn wrote:Right on, Ray! Looks perfect! I'm glad it all worked out. Daren has your old jacket on loan at the moment. I hope he posts pictures soon, it fits him very well, certainly better than it does me! (And oddly, his TN Raiders fits me like it was custom made for me).
All's well that ends well :) I would love to see shots of the 2 jackets in comparison!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I love looking at pics of all these Kelso's......makes me give mine a big hug and happy to be part of this bandwagon!
:D
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Congrats on the great (and growing) Gear collection, Ray!
Looking Good!
:TOH:
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Looks great! BK did a great job with my seal horse A2 repro.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Hobbstc wrote:Looks great! BK did a great job with my seal horse A2 repro.
Thanks, Hobbstc. Is your A2 posted somewhere I can take a look? I'm sure it's Fine!
Hobbstc
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hobbstc »

Just in my Flickr account. Ignore the g1 pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tchphotogr ... 976727918/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Hobbstc wrote:Just in my Flickr account. Ignore the g1 pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tchphotogr ... 976727918/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfect :clap:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

That is a beautiful 1755. I like that the hide has nice grain but doesn't seem too heavy. Very nice. Time to break it in a bit!