Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

Post by Dalexs »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:...I even got a tour of his photo wall with some of his famous customers (including Michaelson!). He was very happy to chat, especially when I mentioned Indy Gear and the Fedora Lounge.
Now that would have bee na cool picture...
A picture of you standing with Joe, standing next to a picture of Michaelson!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Of course I forgot my camera. The picture of Michaelson was pretty small though.

He also had a picture of Kennedy receiving a Peters Brothers hat the same morning as the assassination. Very strange to see a photo of Kennedy from that day, just hours before his death.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No one ever found out what happened to that particular hat either. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Spent some time at PB on Wednesday....the youngest and I just window shopped, watched Javier pounce a hat (pretty smelly), and looked through the ribbon drawer in the back.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

I just checked out their website pretty cool. Their Indy Borsalino looks kinda awesome, but are their Indy ribbons the right color?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They're truer to color in hand than you see on your computer screen, that's for sure.

Not that I'd KNOW or anything (considering Joe Peter's named that Borsalino the 'Michaelson') :[ :lol: ;)

By the way, that's a sharp young man there. That hat looks perfect. Reminds of the 'good old days' back in the 60's when we were all wearing those hats at that age. Seriously.....at least we were in Ohio! He wears it well! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:They're truer to color in hand than you see on your computer screen, that's for sure.

Not that I'd KNOW or anything (considering Joe Peter's named that Borsalino the 'Michaelson') :[ :lol: ;)

By the way, that's a sharp young man there. That hat looks perfect. Reminds of the 'good old days' back in the 60's when we were all wearing those hats at that age. Seriously.....at least we were in Ohio! He wears it well! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Yepper! He's a fine looking young fellow and the hat is perfect for him! Takes a body back in time. Got to love it! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It's finally here! I ordered this straw in natural back in January. Tip for ordering with PB, call. I ordered online and a few weeks later had to change my credit card information and they couldn't find my order. I ended up having to order from scratch.

I'm so happy to have this lid with the 110+ temps we've been having the past few weeks. I love the springy feel of the straw and I could feel the breeze moving through the hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You are going to love the way it conforms to the way YOU wear it too, Jeff! It's my 'go-to' hat in summer. Wearing it today, as a matter of fact.

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Oh yeah, my felt lids will be seeing a lot of hat box time for the next few months. Despite everything I've read here, I was still surprised about how much more comfortable this hat was in the heat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

Well, that hat looks super comfortable and is a perfect fit for you. Good choice indeed. Your pic makes me want to order a dark brown straw for this Alabama humidity... :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Oh yeah, my felt lids will be seeing a lot of hat box time for the next few months. Despite everything I've read here, I was still surprised about how much more comfortable this hat was in the heat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
That's because air can move through the crown at all areas but the leather sweat. You'll love it when you step into a nice cool breeze and become suddenly aware of the fact you actually feel the air movement on the top of your head.

Regards! Michaelson
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm a new addition to the Peters Brothers team as of last week, and I'm loving every second of it. I promise to live up to the standard that this great company has built for itself over the past 101 years, and put all of my care and love into each hat I touch, Indy-style or no.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you guys for supporting the business, and in turn, putting bread on my table. ;)

Now, back on topic, I've been wearing a black milan myself while working this past week, and I'm loving it. In this oppressive summer heat, it has been a boon. Before now, I'd actually never worn a good 'straw' hat. :anxious:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Congrats on being a new member of the team! One of the hardest thing about these long-time family owned ventures is finding young artisans to join the trade.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Thanks very much! I couldn't have done it without a strong recommendation from a good friend. ;) I've never loved working so much as I do here.
Here's to many happy future years with this great company. :H:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

WOW, AnubisScales! Congratulations!
:clap:

Sincerest wishes for a long and wonderful experience working with the fine folks at Peters Brothers!
:TOH:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Indiana Jeff, that hat looks good on you! Kind of makes me want to buy one myself (especially after sweating my hats up so much the past two weeks).

AnubisScales, Congrats on the new job! Must be great working for such a renowned company!

Regards, Geert
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Lookin great, Jeff!!! I gotta get one of these one of these days ...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dalexs wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:...I even got a tour of his photo wall with some of his famous customers (including Michaelson!). He was very happy to chat, especially when I mentioned Indy Gear and the Fedora Lounge.
Now that would have been a cool picture...
A picture of you standing with Joe, standing next to a picture of Michaelson!

Well, with Anubis Scales in the shop, perhaps a picture like this will be possible.... :)

Thanks for the compliments. :TOH: Not that I'm adding anything new that hasn't been said over and over and over, but it's a great hat and will be the only one on my head for the foreseeable future with the summer temperatures we get.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Loving my new Hemp Milan, that I made myself as part of my learning process. Here's a few shots of it.
Not made to Indy specifics, quite obviously, but I could not pass up the vintage ribbon when I saw it.
Edit: Also, I noticed that little bump in the brim right after I took the photo, and that's been fixed now. I just don't have a picture of it yet. ;)

LOVE how much the material breathes for this oppressive summer heat and humidity.

Not too shabby for a newbie, ifn' I do say so myself. All under wonderful teachers, I assure you.
ScootGaloot
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ScootGaloot »

Looking good Anubis! :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Got to join in here. That ribbon comination with the colour of the hat is awesome! Great lookin' lid :tup: ! W>
Ranging Robert
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ranging Robert »

Fellas--great review and pictures of PB hats! I've been looking at their website for about a year now and think I'll buy from them instead of getting a Akubra Fed IV--mostly because I'm a Texan!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You have chosen....WISELY! :M: :tup:

Seriously, nicest bunch of folks around, family owned since the early 19 teens, and Joe is a fine man who always interested in keeping his customers happy.

You won't be disappointed.

If you're anywhere close to Ft. Worth, you should drop by the shop!

Regards! Michaelson
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Michaelson wrote:...family owned since the early 19 teens...
1911, to be specific. We're celebrating our 101st year in business. And we're making special 100th Anniversary hats, as well. Only a 100 of them will be made in total, and they're all numbered. 1-40something are already out the door. Any style you want, all 100% beaver and come with a special 100th Anniversary pin (little smaller than a dime) on the ribbon and a numbered sweatband.

Cool stuff, man. :)
Michaelson wrote:If you're anywhere close to Ft. Worth, you should drop by the shop!
Absolutely! Heck, make a special trip, we'd love to have you. :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I hear they have a photo of me on the wall too! Scares off all the rats and vermin. :-k :lol:

Here's a recent (well, last year) youtube story about them that will put a face to Joe Peters name...and let you see him in the shop in action.

I love this man! One of the truly honest, nice folks I've met in my life! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFybIGSizVM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! M
Ranging Robert
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ranging Robert »

I'm just down 35 from y'all in San Antonio and plan on coming by.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

There we are! With my tattooed wrist as proof this is a current picture. :D
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Oooo, 100th anniversary hats. I wasn't in the market for a new lid, but this is awefully tempting.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

AnubisScales wrote:Image

There we are! With my tattooed wrist as proof this is a current picture. :D
Thanks, Gregory! :TOH:

There's dear departed Nelda Peters on the left with Joe....and our own ITG on the right in this photo too! The fellow's name next to me was 'Mark' I believe, and worked at the shop at the time. My wife is taking the picture behind the camera.

That seems like a lifetime ago. :(

Regards! Michaelson
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Travelsonic wrote:Bump:

dusted off some old pictures (actually, found 'em on an old hard drive) and made a quick youtube video of my custom Temple of Doom Peter Bros Indy fedora:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbv1hIDmqcU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The pics used are about a year old, but the hat still looks like that if not better.
I would have loved to see this in USA, since I am considering one of their hats. But:

This video contains content from Warner Chappell and UMG, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Just wanted to let everyone know I no longer work at PB hats. It was an amiable parting, nothing bad at all, but I figured I'd let you folks know. I just had an opportunity elsewhere I needed to pursue, and Joe has been more than understanding. My time there was wonderful and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Great hats and great people!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I would love to see more PB custom Indy fedoras! Post 'em if you got 'em! :D
Gunslinger Rex
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gunslinger Rex »

indy89 wrote:I would love to see more PB custom Indy fedoras! Post 'em if you got 'em! :D
I ordered a Last Crusade with a Raiders pinch around the end of November. I'll certainly post pics when it arrives.

BTW, those who have ordered PB hats, what carrier do they use to ship in the US? Do they contact you when your hat ships? I haven't heard a peep from them since confirming that they received my web order after hearing nothing in the week following the initial order.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mine always arrive by USPS priority mail.

They're at the stock show right now, but you may still want to ping the shop to see what the status is on your hat, just to ease your mind. I think 2 months is long enough to wait since the last time you checked on your order.

Regards! Michaelson
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Gunslinger Rex wrote:
indy89 wrote:I would love to see more PB custom Indy fedoras! Post 'em if you got 'em! :D
I ordered a Last Crusade with a Raiders pinch around the end of November. I'll certainly post pics when it arrives.

BTW, those who have ordered PB hats, what carrier do they use to ship in the US? Do they contact you when your hat ships? I haven't heard a peep from them since confirming that they received my web order after hearing nothing in the week following the initial order.
Cool. I ordered that same style combo nearly 3 weeks ago via phone. I was told there is a 6 month aback up. Glad to hear they're doing hefty business.
Gunslinger Rex
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gunslinger Rex »

RayROnline wrote: I was told there is a 6 month aback up.
:shock:

I guess I better start thinking more along the lines of months until my hat is ready, instead of days or weeks.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I would definitely give them a call. The first hat I ordered from them was by phone and I had no problems. The second I placed via the website, waited a reasonable amount of time and called for follow-up and they vaguely remembered my online order, but I basically had to resubmit everything by phone. :?

Great people. :tup:
Super hats. :clap:
Not the best with technology. :|

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Don't forget, the stock shows and annual rodeo shows are currently in full swing, so this is the time of year they're always slammed with orders and extra work. It happens this time every year, and always has been their calendar.

The Ft. Worth Stock Show goes through February 3rd.

Regards! Michaelson
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

They send via FedEx for stuff within the continental US, and USPS for International stuff.

Generally speaking, once they've received the order, you won't hear back unless there's a question in the shop. If you gave your email on order, you'll get a shipping confirmation email. Otherwise, it'll show up on your doorstep about 12-14 weeks from the order date.

Again, this is speaking in generalities, and how it was before I left. I know they're very busy this time of year, and when I stopped in earlier this week, they're all working very hard and happily. Stock show is a great time for them. They've got a new guy on staff (essentially my replacement) who's VERY good at what he does. Wouldn't get a hat anywhere else! :D

But yeah, as Michaelson said, if you have any concerns, just give the shop a holler from the 1800 number on their webpage.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Time to get excited. I just got word that my PB rabbit raiders bash on a CS cut is on it's way tomorrow. I have purchased 1 rabbit ever...off the bazaar here, and loved it. It's been over 5 months in the making.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

That is great news, Ray! I've thought about saving up for a PB hat, so be sure to post some pictures, ok? Ok thanks :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

RayROnline wrote:Time to get excited. I just got word that my PB rabbit raiders bash on a CS cut is on it's way tomorrow. I have purchased 1 rabbit ever...off the bazaar here, and loved it. It's been over 5 months in the making.
That's great! :clap: Did you get the soft or stiff rabbit felt?

Regards! Michaelson
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Michaelson wrote:
RayROnline wrote:Time to get excited. I just got word that my PB rabbit raiders bash on a CS cut is on it's way tomorrow. I have purchased 1 rabbit ever...off the bazaar here, and loved it. It's been over 5 months in the making.

Regards! Michaelson
It's so long since I ordered, I'm actually not sure. But I believe that would be the stiff. I'll know in a few days :)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

RayROnline wrote:
Michaelson wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
It's so long since I ordered, I'm actually not sure. But I believe that would be the stiff. I'll know in a few days :)
I love the way 'Michaelson' phrased this one re: 'stiff rabbit...' Yeah, Mark...the rabbit didn't survive and well, 'ya know, after a while..... :rolling: ! Can't wait to see your new hat! I have always enjoyed working with the folks at Peters Brothers! Great people! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

WConly wrote:I love the way 'Michaelson' phrased this one re: 'stiff rabbit...' Yeah, Mark...the rabbit didn't survive and well, 'ya know, after a while..... :rolling:
Hummm. "Hasenpfeffer" anyone? \:D/ :lol: ;)

Regards! M
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

And here it is. Peters Bros Raiders in Soft Rabbit Blend (meaning there is beaver in it). It is not too soft at all. I wanted something that is more like whit I perceive in the film as far as flexibility. I got the Raiders pinch with a TOD cut (slightly shorter) to fit my face better. I love this. :D It is truly expert craftsmanship. It took 6 month and I paid $225! Worth EVERY penny!

Here is a single shot, inside shot, group shot with an older Delk/Adventurebilt Raiders on either side (beaver) one obviously dusted with Fullers.And it arrived in a great shipping box that really protected it. Now I have a great box should I decide to divest myself of part of my collection.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

HOMERUN!!!!! :clap:
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Looks really good, you seem to like it very much !!! C'mon more pics on you !!! Enjoy !!