Which is the toughest??

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Marlin_Fan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Which is the toughest??

Post by Marlin_Fan »

Which type of leather from Wested is the toughest for real world use??
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: Which is the toughest??

Post by Sergei »

Marlin_Fan wrote:Which type of leather from Wested is the toughest for real world use??
Goat and then New Cow. -S
Indydawg

Agreed...

Post by Indydawg »

Goat and then New Cowhide...with the distressed cowhide a close second.

Later!
Indydawg
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Well, I own a Wested Cowhide and let me tell ya it is "One tough, shut yo mouth"!!! I have distressed it twice with sandpaper, both times restoring it with leather conditioner, it restores nicely. It has been to two countries in back and no tears, rips or holes.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Josh Maestro,
Any way you could send me pic of your distressed jacket? Im in the market.....And would like to see how one of these looks distressed,
thank you!

IJ
Marlin_Fan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Marlin_Fan »

So far, its goat or cow....which wieghs more??

Thx
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

goatskin is the strongest in my opinion
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Well, scientifically the answer to the durability question is:

Kangaroo, Goat, Deer, Horse, Cow and then at 999,999,999, Lamb. Just kidding on Lamb, but it is way down on the list.

So to answer the original poster's question, which Wested Leather is the most durable? Goat!

-Sergei
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

IndianaJames wrote:.....And would like to see how one of these looks distressed,
IJ
This jacket is tough. Really tough.

I took a quick pic of my new cow. I have had it about a year. It's slightly distressed. Some is natural and some is artificial. The distressing will go away with a little leather conditioner. I have it looking like I want it.

Getting the sheen to go away was my biggest hurdle. All the pictures I would take, the jacket looked like vinyl. I rubbed a whole quart of acetone on it and it still was shinny. Getting caught in a Texas flood and helping at a local ranch seemed to help with dulling the jacket.

Pyro.

(Note: Marker caps Marks-a-lot Green and Red and Sharpie Blue for color reference.)

Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

I guess you're an LC man, huh? :wink: Nice job.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Chamorro wrote:I guess you're an LC man, huh? :wink: Nice job.
What makes you say that?Image

Thanks. I love the LC jacket from the Motorcycle chase to the beach scene. For me, THAT's a leather jacket.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Well, I am guessing. But Chamorro correctly guessed, that the distressing style was more LC than Raiders. More distressing on the seams, is what I am seeing. Good job, Pyro!

-S
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Sergei wrote:Well, I am guessing. But Chamorro correctly guessed, that the distressing style was more LC than Raiders. More distressing on the seams, is what I am seeing. Good job, Pyro!

-S
Yup. At the risk of turning this into a distressing thread, one think that I wanted to show is getting as close to the stiching as possible.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Thanks for the pics pyro! I also have distressed my lambskin to look like the moto scene in LC....And for me, THIS is the THE Jacket...and look I ultimately want to get:

Tanks again-

IJ
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

And while were here...Id like you guys to take a look at how far the pockets are from the zipper. With all that everyone has been talking about with this measurment - 1 1/2" I believe, look at these - thats WAY more than that. Also look how long the upper flap is on the pockets.. Can anyone use that form of measuring a picture and relating it to what it would be in real life? (Does that make sense?)

CHeers!
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I'm right there with you Pyro!!!

I "LOVE" how the jacket looks during the Last Crusade motorcycle chase! I have a Wested Goatskin, but I heard that, like the Cowhide, it can be difficult to distress naturally. However, what did you use on your jacket? Fuller's Earth? Kitty Litter dust I heard someone here say makes for a good "fuller's earth" dust.....And I too applaud the look of your jacket!!

Regards!
Captain D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Marlin_Fan wrote:So far, its goat or cow....which wieghs more??

Thx
Cow
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:
Marlin_Fan wrote:So far, its goat or cow....which wieghs more??

Thx
Cow
Yep, I agree with ITG that Cow hide is heavier. In fact it's quite a bit heavier. But no one has ever asked what is warmer. In my opinion, Cow is the warmest. That's what I wear when I want to be the warmest. But from what I hear from the more experienced is that Deer exhibits peculiar qualities of being light, cool and warm.

-S
Redbeard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Redbeard »

Peter actually suggested the cowhide to me. He said (or wrote) it's the most durable and heavy (which I think a leather jacked should be).

I mus say he's right. I love my Wested.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

As do I, but I have always wanted a lamskin jacket for the really warm months. I love lambskin, it's my favorite leather.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Really, who doesn't love the Last Crusade jacket distressing style? Much like the Raiders fedora, it has the most distinctive look of the three films. I spent a great deal of time making my jacket match LC as closely as possible, and the results are out of this world. In all fairness, though, my pictures don't do it justice. It really has to be seen in person to appreciate the level of detail I was able to achieve. Anyway, I'm just writing this post as a cheap excuse to show off some new jacket pics. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/pangaeascape/archive.html
Marlin_Fan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Marlin_Fan »

Thank you for your inputs!! It'll will be goat or cow....and the LC jacket is the best!! Any more ideas are more than welcome!!
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Whipwarrior -
Jacket does look great! But at the same time a little to spotty, you can kind of tell it was purposely distressed - Hey pyro your lamb turned out awesome if I remember....

Cheers!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

IndianaJames wrote: Hey pyro your lamb turned out awesome if I remember....

Cheers!
Thanks, I have a photo that was mailed to me of me in the jacket. I looked at it and thought, "Is that my jacket? Cool."

I will scan it and post it.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It only looks spotty because of the flash. (Sorry, our digital camera *****) The raw patches of leather look much more subtle in real life. Like I said before, it really must be seen in person.

-Dale
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Thanks Pyrocitor!

Whipwarrior -
Ah, all apologies then...

Cheers
copper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by copper »

I own two wested jackets Lamb & goat goat is way tougher but thats the one I keep in nice condition.The lamb is what I work in it has gotten a few tears in it & I had to sow am up looks cool I think.I do have to say lamb is tough but goat is way tougher.Well Gezz I ges I just said what everone else said so Ill go now.Copper.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Sergei wrote:But no one has ever asked what is warmer. In my opinion, Cow is the warmest. That's what I wear when I want to be the warmest. But from what I hear from the more experienced is that Deer exhibits peculiar qualities of being light, cool and warm.
Okay. Maybe we can settle this? I've been curious about this question, Sergei but haven't asked. So, if cow is the warmest, how do kangaroo, goat, deer, horse, and lamb rank in terms of warmness? Or, maybe expound on their qualities regarding temperature?

Please, anyone chime in. Even _---if you're still out there, big guy!

Indiana Joe
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Indiana Joe wrote:
Sergei wrote:But no one has ever asked what is warmer. In my opinion, Cow is the warmest. That's what I wear when I want to be the warmest. But from what I hear from the more experienced is that Deer exhibits peculiar qualities of being light, cool and warm.
Okay. Maybe we can settle this? I've been curious about this question, Sergei but haven't asked. So, if cow is the warmest, how do kangaroo, goat, deer, horse, and lamb rank in terms of warmness? Or, maybe expound on their qualities regarding temperature?

Please, anyone chime in. Even _---if you're still out there, big guy!

Indiana Joe
From my readings, I haven't seen any study that addresses warmness. I have only seen durability rankings.

-S
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Sergei wrote:From my readings, I haven't seen any study that addresses warmness. I have only seen durability rankings.
So, it will have to be subjective and should be the different leathers but the same jacket, in roughly the same weather, if we are to get some answers.

Well, anybody game and want to try for a non-scientific approach?
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Well I can give you a cracking review of the Wested. I am up in Scotland and its absolutly baltic! Snow and all. So if anyone wants to send me a cowhide or two or three for review (I can wear them all at once) if you are getting too hot over sunny stateside please feel free ;)

Ken
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My stab at it? In order from warmest to coldest....horsehide, cowhide, goatskin, lambtouch cowhide, lambskin with deerskin and 'roo skin under misc. Deerskin is about the weirdest leather I've ever worn...comfortable all across the scale, comfortable from the 70's down into the low teens! I've never worn 'roo, so I'll leave that to others to answer. This is just in line to what I've worn and experienced in the area I live. Regards. Michaelson
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

I cannot say much about the hides I haven't owned, but I find that I can wear my lamb down to about 20 degrees (with a thick shirt), and up to about 65-70 degrees.

I think it may have to with one's own tolerance for temperatures, as well as the climate you are used too. As far as for hides, wouldn't a denser hide be warmer? Just a quandry.

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In my list, I was not allowing for layering underneath. I was stating my experience using just a jacket and shirt scenario. You can layer underneath ANY jacket, and take it below zero if you want, which I have done, and still do. Regards. Michaelson
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Michaelson wrote:In my list, I was not allowing for layering underneath. I was stating my experience using just a jacket and shirt scenario. You can layer underneath ANY jacket, and take it below zero if you want, which I have done, and still do. Regards. Michaelson
Right, I see...I guess what I should have just simply said (hard for me to do sometimes :roll: ) is that deciding on how warm a jacket is can be misleading, as we all have different tolerances to different temperatures. Myself, for example, am fine in short sleeves down to about 50, and with just a Wested lamb down to about 20. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Peace,
Cliff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Gotcha

Post by Michaelson »

Using your criteria, I am also comfortable down to about 45-50 in short sleeves in a goatskin and higher using my list, but below that, long sleeve, then sweater. You're ABSOLUTELY correct. It all depends on location, body build, tolerance to cold and heat, and so forth. I've experienced winters where I was perfectly comfortable in a long sleeve shirt, sweater vest and lambskin in 20 degree weather, only to have a winter where no amount of layering under horsehide could warm me, and still be in the 20's! :shock: Go figure! High regards. Michaelson
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re:

Post by Indiana Joe »

Sergei wrote:Well, scientifically the answer to the durability question is:

Kangaroo, Goat, Deer, Horse, Cow and then at 999,999,999, Lamb. Just kidding on Lamb, but it is way down on the list.

So to answer the original poster's question, which Wested Leather is the most durable? Goat!

-Sergei
Are there any gearheads wearing kangaroo or buffalo jackets? Just curious. :-k
Michaelson wrote:My stab at it? In order from warmest to coldest....horsehide, cowhide, goatskin, lambtouch cowhide, lambskin with deerskin and 'roo skin under misc. Deerskin is about the weirdest leather I've ever worn...comfortable all across the scale, comfortable from the 70's down into the low teens! I've never worn 'roo, so I'll leave that to others to answer. This is just in line to what I've worn and experienced in the area I live. Regards. Michaelson
I completely agree on the deerskin! :M:
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!
Posted: Feb Wed 05, 2003 3:07 am
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

yeah, that was weird seeing a Sergei post. I have a water buffalo jacket. It's pretty durable.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Yeah pulled back from the dead!! :CR:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

please don't drag this old threads up from the dead. let'em rest.