Big THANK YOU to Mr. Steve Delk!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Big THANK YOU to Mr. Steve Delk!

Post by fifthchamber »

Morning all!
(This was posted over on the Indylounge as well, so apologies for those of you whom saw it there too..) :TOH:
Well, yesterday I had the pleasure of receiving my Adventurebilt from Steve Delk.. It actually arrived two days back, but I had missed the first delivery due to my Graduation party (And arriving home rather drunk.. Long story..) :oops:
Anyway, I wanted to share the experience with you all (Not for the first time for many I'm sure, but still...), so, here are the photos! :TOH:
Just out of the box:

A close up of the inside:

Close up on the leather band:

Interesting to see actually, I'd assumed that the Akubra colouring was spot on, but it seems a touch darker than the "true" Indy colour... Compared to Steve's work it's almost black.. Very interesting to see.. :

And last, me wearing it! (Apologies to young children and women who may find the image disturbing..):

Steve, if you see this thread, I said it before and I'll say it again, you are a gentleman and an artisan, and your work is stunning.. Thank you very, very much. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Regards to all!
:TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Big THANK YOU to Mr. Steve Delk!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well done! You wear it well! :clap:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Another outstanding lid churned out by Mr. Delk! Enjoy it! :H:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thank you Rick! (And Scott of course!)
Actually...I've worn it all through since I got it...The thing is EXTREMELY lovely (as opposed to just "normal lovely".. :-k ) and wearing it is the best way to appreciate it..
The fit is spot on, snug but not tight at all, almost like Steve had measured me up for it himself rather than trusting my measuring skill.. Perfectly made.. The man is a solid example of quality above quantity.. Fully appreciated only when you actually SEE what it is he makes..
Highly impressed..
Thanks again for the praise!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

He really is the best of the best and it shows. It's no wonder he got the IndyIV gig. That hat should last you a couple lifetimes!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

AWESOME!!!! Out of the hands of the master himself!!!

Travis
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yes...Entirely agreed...
Quality, all the way through.. And even the customer service shines above the norm.. He offered me a refurb in the future as well (waaaay in the future I'd guess, the hat is solid enough to last so long I'll be dead before it needs the re-do..)..
When I opened the box my heart was pounding as hard as when I first met my girlfriend, and since then I've spent about the same amount of time looking at the hat as at her (She's jealous.. :lol: ), really is good stuff...
(Travis! Thanks mate! Now I have a hat that does proper justice to the perfect shirt I picked up from you! I can't complain!)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Looks great on you. Enjoy then heck out of it. Another great hat from Steve.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thank you John,
Yourself, Steve, and Marc are three of the best in the business, and I hope someday to have something from each of you.. Your praise is highly appreciated sir.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Very groovy! :clap: I'm liking that color for sure. Suits you perfectly. :D John's correct, another great one from Steve.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Simply beautiful and you sure seem to enjoy it!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

It's really interesting to see actually, the colour is spot on for the films (Crystal Skull especially, but LC and TOD equally and Raiders close).. But I'd never expected the felt to colour so differently in different lighting.. In the shade indoors it's almost the same dark brown as the Akubra, but in sunlight in warms up and glows in a light brown... Looking at all the photos I could find of the films the hat does the same as you can see in those photos, the shadowed areas look much darker, and the sun-lit area of the hat shines in comparison.. It's something I'd never really noticed (or not paid attention to), but it is present in all the films to some degree, and I was impressed that Steve's felt matched so well... (Not just the Grosgrain banding, which is superb)..
Yeah...I love this hat.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fifthchamber wrote:It's really interesting to see actually, the colour is spot on for the films (Crystal Skull especially, but LC and TOD equally and Raiders close).. But I'd never expected the felt to colour so differently in different lighting.. In the shade indoors it's almost the same dark brown as the Akubra, but in sunlight in warms up and glows in a light brown... Looking at all the photos I could find of the films the hat does the same as you can see in those photos, the shadowed areas look much darker, and the sun-lit area of the hat shines in comparison.. It's something I'd never really noticed (or not paid attention to), but it is present in all the films to some degree, and I was impressed that Steve's felt matched so well... (Not just the Grosgrain banding, which is superb)..
Yeah...I love this hat.

Since steve made the hats for Indy 4 it shouldn't be a surprise that the color is spot on. Or am I misreading you? :-k
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I think he was saying how the felt matches not only KotCS but all the other films as well. Again, another reason Steve was a shoe in for Indy 4!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

BendingOak wrote:Since steve made the hats for Indy 4 it shouldn't be a surprise that the color is spot on. Or am I misreading you? :-k
Wait... he did?!? I thought Steve made all of the Indiana Jones hats... at least that's the way it sounded in the article about you! :P Just kidding of course.

fifthchamber, that's an amazing hat you got there! I love it! For some reason that just looks like the best Indy IV hat I have seen... I just don't know... perhaps it's the way it looks on you. It suits you VERY well! :tup:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

No misread at all, I was saying that Steve's hat (since it IS the "real" colour as far as Indy IV at least) is just amazingly coloured.. The change in shadow and light is remarkable.. And I hadn't noticed the effect on the screen when I watched the films so much..

The Akubra is a much darker colour.. Far closer to the Indy hat in shade, but too dark for it in light.. Interesting to see my opinion change!

No surprise really, (Unless you just consider that it's nice to notice something you hadn't noticed before>), just saying... :lol:

Travis, entirely... The colour is spot on, I just hadn't noticed how dark the Akubra was until I could compare the two felts..

Nick....Dude...Thanks! High praise indeed! :TOH: :TOH: :TOH:
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Ok, the AB is nice of course. But I have to say...wow! That is the nicest Akubra I've ever seen. How did you get such a bash in that hat?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

You mean the one in the comparison picture? Thank you! Actually, I have had two goes on the Akubra, the first on my black Akubra Regular, which came out well, but less "Indy" like, and with a deeper centre crease.. And then my Fed IV Deluxe (Brown) which came out far closer to the shape I was aiming for... John's videos were the main help.. His insistence that you just need to be patient and push a little each day until it works was probably the thing that got it into the shape it is now.. I'm happy with the shape I got in the end..
Thanks! :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nice lookin lid ya got there fithchamber, it suits ya to a "T". Mr. Delk certainetly turns out a beautiful product. Congrats.

Croft :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you just got that, you're a lucky man. He discontinued using that Staff of Ra liner a couple years ago in exchange for the new AB Pyramid version. Quite a coveted item, that liner is.

GOOD for you!

Regards! Michaelson
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Nice!! :clap: :clap: Really suits you!!! Oh and congrats on the graduation.. \:D/

Ian
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

fifthchamber wrote:And last, me wearing it! (Apologies to young children and women who may find the image disturbing..):
Picture, offensive? That has to be some of the finest Indys stubble I've ever seen. If I were a guy, I'd love to have stubble like that. Uh, waitaminute, I've just realised that this is a hat thread, isn't it? :[ :anxious: :CR:

Gorgeous hat, fifthchamber! :D Many congratulations to you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: And, yes you are extremely lucky to have the Staff of Ra liner in it. :TOH:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Michaelson wrote:If you just got that, you're a lucky man. He discontinued using that Staff of Ra liner a couple years ago in exchange for the new AB Pyramid version. Quite a coveted item, that liner is.

GOOD for you!

Regards! Michaelson
was thinking the same thing, Michaelson - you just beat me to it. Of course, I haven't had my coffee yet
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

awesome, awesome hat my friend. you wear it very well. :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

A gorgeous lid from the unbelievably talented Mr. Steve Delk.
:clap:
Congratulations, fifthchamber... You own a wonderful prize of a fedora AND it's an absolute NATURAL onya!
:) :tup:
May you always wear it in good health!
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Excellent lid, looks great on the owner. Wear it in good health!
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Got to say. Love it. Looks just right on you :tup:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thanks again all! :TOH:

Ian, mate, it wasn't my graduation, but my students (I work in High School, and the Japanese school year ends in March! :) ), although I'll tell them ya said "Omedeto!" ("Congrats" in Japanese) ;)

And Michaelson, thanks for letting me know...I wasn't sure but most of the new ones seemed to be using the new liners...Interesting... :D (And very good news!)..

Mitch, thanks sir... I can only copy what I see do and try and get something as close to cool as that, but your comment is warmly received! Thank you! :TOH:

Canyon.... Heh... Thanks! I've been remiss in shaving since the term finished, so it's been a couple of days... I love it.. But my girlfriend hates it.. (Except for looking at..), so it'll probably be gone again soon.. LOL :lol:

Holt, thank you sir! Much appreciated! :TOH: (What news on the Jacket by the way? What did you go with?)

Croft! Thank you kindly! I think my next choice has to be a lighter Penman.. So I've asked John to put my name on the list... In part because of the hats you showed (and Mitch as well actually...).. Quality lids.. So.. Thank you for the comment and for the preview of the hat as well! :D

Anubis and Ray, thank you very much! Much appreciated!

And all the best to you all! :TOH: :TOH:
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Looks great, as always. I need to post some current pics of mine. It's 5 1/2 years old and still looks great. Not even close to needing a re-block. The liner did finally fall out a couple of months ago.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Is it just me or does Steve's work seem to be getting better and better? He's an amazing hatter - no pun intended but "hat's off to Steve" ;)
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Awesome hat fifthchamber, always nice to see something new from Steve. How long ago did you order? Was wondering if you were in the Nov/Dec 207 order as there was a tons of hats ordered then. Great hat, can't wait to get my first adventurebilt from Steve. I've waited long enough, over 3 years now. Anyway, nice hat and wear it well.

IndianaChris
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

It is beautiful. Wear it out!! (If you can!)

Dec. '08 order for me. Building character is no fun!