Todd's 1917 S&W

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Todd's 1917 S&W

Post by yuji »

Hello Indiana Croft,
Yes it is an M1917 from Tanaka Works, same as Todd's.
Except that replica guns sold here don't have orange tips, for which I'm grateful.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

And lucky. I have the real deal, but it'd be nice to dispaly one and not have to worry about leaving a real fire arm laying about. Just can't stomack the orange paint. :cry:

Croft :mrgreen:
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

As far as I know, Tanaka is the only one making a replica of the Bapty revolver. If you see one in a video or anywhere else - it is a Tanaka. I believe that only mine have the plated finish. The rest of the world has to suffer with a matte finish.

The metal plated finish is a little like bluing - bright silver underneath with a blue/black anodized finish. You can rub off the blue color to expose the silver for very realistic weathering. It's great to see what you guys have done with these! I just wanted to explain that there are two different finishes.

Tanaka is expensive stuff, but plenty of people think it's worth it. These are so much fun to play with. I loved reading Chewie Louie's story of his Halloween party! That's priceless! I love to just sit and open and close the cylinder, work the hammer, etc. Sort of like one of those stress reliever toys, but way better.

Regarding a Webley - that was in mind from the very beginning, but I'm afraid to approach Tanaka again. Sales here have been so bad - I doubt they'll listen to any more product ideas from me. My only hope is if they have had great success with this model in the rest of the world.

If they did a WG, would you rather have an airsoft model or cap model?
stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stevemahaffey »

Have you had any luck getting some extra "bullets" from Tanaka? I love the gun, but only having 6 shots, and the lengthy reload time, takes the fun down a notch at parties.
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

I envy you for having a real one, Indiana Croft!

Hello Todd,
Love your outstanding products.
Thank you for clarifying the difference. I have the “Matte finish” , but I think Tanaka Works later introduced a couple of more versions in our market here, namely the “Parkerizing finish” and “Steel finish”, so I think that they had some success at least in our market.

I’m truly grateful that you approached Tanaka Works for developing the Bapty revolver.
Should you decide to approach them again for a WG, I’d be overjoyed with a cap model.
All the best. Yuji
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

Gents,
What type of caps do these use? I was going through some of my older stuff and found a box of 7mm japanese caps. If thery are the same as what you use, I can send them to you. I had a collection of airsofts back in the 80's. I graduated to real guns after 20 years in the Corps.
Respectfully,
Fritz
IndyMack
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyMack »

yuji wrote:Thank you very much IndyMack.
Just lightly brushed key areas with metallic paint.
Would be nice remove that glossy look. So removing any dirt with acetone and a brushing of silver/steel metallic [spray] paint to key areas should get me this look with Todd's? :-k
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I have the “Matte finish” , but I think Tanaka Works later introduced a couple of more versions in our market here, namely the “Parkerizing finish” and “Steel finish”, so I think that they had some success at least in our market.
That's good news! I'm still working on my initial order of 100 guns (I think I've had them for a year or more) and I still have most of them left - not exactly a hot item. Maybe they're not so mad at me.

I've been reluctant to approach them about extra cartridges because I supposed they would be mad at me. After all, they developed this whole gun to sell 25 per year? Just on my word? I don't think a WG would sell any better. But I will contact the prez again and ask about cartridges.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I'd be interested in buying this gun for my collection, but the Canadian Customs doesn't like these items :x Too bad too, its a nice prop, especially if that orange tip somehow manages to rub off... :[
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

After all, they developed this whole gun to sell 25 per year? Just on my word? I don't think a WG would sell any better.
I'm sure they sold a lot in our market, thanks to your approach. I know many of my friends purchased one(or two), and I'm sure they'll buy a WG replica too.

Hello Fritz,
Thanks, but I'm afraid I don't use caps very much. Mostly playing with the revolver like Todd.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Todd,
I am going to be ordering this gun soon but would like to suggest some additional marketing you could do for it - I see you have them up on ebay. Maybe it wouldnt hurt to list them in an auction NOT related to Indiana Jones, or change up the auction title.
I would also suggest getting some video of the gun being used and post that along with your auction and also post that video on your website.
What really sold me on this was the video of the gun being used on that youtube video some of us have seen. If it can sell me the idea of buying one, it might work for others as well.
I'm a big supporter of your products and want you to be successful in selling them.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

General,

Thanks for the advice. I'm also trying to interest Kapowee (they are the only ones I can find who sell PFC guns) but no response. I will try the things you suggested.

yuji,

That's good to know. I'll contact Tanka today just to test the waters.
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Will keep my fingers crossed Todd!
Adam C.
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adam C. »

WOW! I just received my 1917 S&W from Todd's, and this thing is amazing! Well worth the money in my opinion. It's just like foolin' around with a real gun...only without all the unpleasant bullet holes in the walls! I went ahead and took the orange paint off with nail-polish remover containing acetone. It was pretty stubborn, but it all came off. I had to soak the end of the gun for about 20 minutes or so, but it worked like a charm with no ill effects to the black gun-barrel whatsoever. (Whew!) Thanks again Todd for making this available to everyone!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Glad you like it! I think they're amazing, too.

No reply yet about the extra cartridges. I'll send them another email.

-Todd
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes, I can get spare cartridges. I'll place an order. Don't know the price or arrival yet. Please see my poll on the WG.
Adam C.
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adam C. »

Puppetboy wrote:Yes, I can get spare cartridges. I'll place an order. Don't know the price or arrival yet.
That's great news Todd. I'd definitely be in for purchasing extra cartridges. Keep us posted when they arrive!
moto
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by moto »

All of you have a splendid gun.
Please watch the photograph of my gun.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I posted an announcement in the vendor section about spare cartridges.