Todd's 1917 S&W

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Todd's 1917 S&W

Post by indydude18 »

Hey there guys,
I'm pretty new to COW, but through my senseless hours of seeing Youtube Videos and looking through the Guns and Holsters section, I can across this particularly special video. \:D/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXKdOlk ... re=related

If there was something stopping me from buying Todd's S&W Revolver, It's gone now! ;)

I can't say for sure that it's the same gun, but It does have a huge resemblance.

You can see when the shooter removes his thumb, the grip crest is visible, the loop is on the bottom of the butt, and the inch appears to be 4 inches long. I remember reading somewhere that this model is only available in Japan and that the box the revolver comes in has a picture of Harrison Ford. Thus maybe why the video is called S&W M1917(HF)

Anywho, thought I'd share my 2 cents :D
stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Todd's 1917 S&W

Post by stevemahaffey »

Can someone back this up? Could that really be Todd's S&W?

If not, or even if it is, I would love to hear from anyone who owns Todd's PFC S&W replica. I am very interested in it, but I can't really find many references to it on this board
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Todd's is Pretty frickin' cool! I've played with it...he let me shoot it when they first came in. It's pretty darn loud...sounds easily like a .22 or or maybe even a .380 going off. It definately turned the heads of some contractors working in the next parking lot over.

If you have the money for a really cool toy, that's a screen accurate as it can possibly get, get it... I doubt you'd be disappointed.

He was working with Tanaka gun works for like a year getting it together and is the only authorized distributer for that particular model in the U.S.
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Yes, that looks like a S&W M1917 Hand Ejector 2nd. Five Screw, 4" from Tanaka Works, which is what Todd is distributing in the U.S., as mentioned by RaidersBash.
Not sure, but the (HF) could be just a typo of "HE".

Got one myself. Great replica!
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

RaidersBash,

Is it really that loud? The pop in the video doesn't sound very loud at all.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

It's pretty loud. Easily a .22 or .25 sound. The thing with video, is sound spikes like that max the mic and never sound right...reason why they have to add gunshot sounds in post production for movies.

Also, some of the caps are louder than others. When I shot it, a couple weren't as loud, but for the most part if you fire that gun off, it will draw some attention...

more than a starter pistol, IMO
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

Yeah, as Raiders Bash said-- extremely loud sounds peak, which is to say reach a maximum loudness that most systems can playback. That sound then clips (sounds muffled and full of distortion) when you attempt to play it back.
stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stevemahaffey »

OK. Have one of these in hand now, but need to know where to get extra cartridges. Not the caps, the brass/aluminum cartridges. It takes FOREVER to reload this thing, so I would like to be able to carry a handful of cartridges already loaded up with caps.
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Did you try contacting Todd to see if he had a source for additional shells?

I googled and on the first page there's a couple sites, WWIIguns and Tokyo Hobby.
Sadly, both companies have kind of a shady history with regards to reliability
(filling/shipping orders, etc.).

It couldn't hurt to dig a little deeper. Some companies such as ehobbyasia and the
bigger airsoft shops such as wargame club (wgcshop.com) might be able to get these.

I don't know what the current availability of PFC items are in Japan.

Russ
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Well, I finally pulled the trigger (heh, heh, heh) and placed an order for one of Todd's guns. I'm sure there are replicas that are more SA, but I wanted a little bang for my buck. (Get it? Bang . . . for my buck?) I know, I got nothing. It's been a boring day. Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on the gun when I get it.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Darn it, this might have been a better option.

http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp ... 231&catid=

Opinions?
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Chewie Louie wrote:Darn it, this might have been a better option.

Opinions?
Please tell me you're kidding. :#:
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Opinions?

Photoss may not approve, but Todd's is out of my price range right now.

As a holster stuffer, that looks decent enough for me. I just ordered it from Amazon (SpeedyToys.com is universally reviled on the internet, I don't trust them from the reviews I read) and I should have it by the 29th. I'll let you know...
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

BaptisteTheFool wrote:

Opinions?

Photoss may not approve, but Todd's is out of my price range right now.

As a holster stuffer, that looks decent enough for me. I just ordered it from Amazon (SpeedyToys.com is universally reviled on the internet, I don't trust them from the reviews I read) and I should have it by the 29th. I'll let you know...

Sweet, let's both do a write-up and compare.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I own one of those UHC revolvers, just with a shorter barrel and black grip, and it's terrible, bad holster stuff, doesn't shoot worth anything (of course, it is supposed to be a prop), and it looks terrible in person.

^
This is all imo, maybe you will like it.
Truly though, there can be no comparison between this and Todd's S&W.
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I shall let you know on Saturday. Fedex says it'll be here by then.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Problem is, that's based on the later L frame Smith. You can tell by the full length underlug beneath the barrel, introduced in the 1970's.

The Raiders revolver was an N frame Smith. Two completely different guns.

Regards! Michaelson
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote:Problem is, that's based on the later L frame Smith. You can tell by the full length underlug beneath the barrel.

The Raiders revolver was an N frame Smith. Two completely different guns.

Regards! Michaelson

And it's $25. It'll stuff in a holster and no one but gear heads will be the wiser.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True, gearheads will know, but no one else will. That said, may as well get a $6 capgun. ;)

Kidding of course. :lol:

Thing is, they're selling that as an Indiana Jones package. That's all that bothers me. Why not use the right gun in the first place? Even a K frame would be the right outline. :-s

Regards! Michaelson
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote:True, gearheads will know, but no one else will. That said, may as well get a $6 capgun. ;)

Kidding of course. :lol:

Thing is, they're selling that as an Indiana Jones package. That's all that bothers me. Why not use the right gun in the first place? Even a K frame would be the right outline. :-s

Regards! Michaelson

Yeah. If I like it I'll look into modding it a bit to be every so slightly more accurate. May try and put on a fake lanyard ring and see if I can do anything about switching in different grips.

It's a quick fix and a cheap one in the event that I should go out next week. It looks more the part than the kid's toy cap gun I was stuffing it with up until now.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Change those grips if at all possible, put on a lanyard ring, and don't pull it out of the holster in front of a gearhead, and you should have a decent holster filler. :M: :tup:

One more concern....what is the barrel length? It doesn't say or I missed it. They also advertise a like revolver with a 6" barrel. That won't FIT your holster, if you have a standard Raiders style flapholster.

Regards! Michaelson
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Grrr. Missed the ###### Fedex guy. Now I have to wait until Tuesday.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Well, I got my Todd's today just in time for the party tonight. First impression: me likey a lot. Feels good in my hand. Kind of a pain in the butt to load the shells with the caps, but it sounds really nice. Sure to be an attention getter. I'll take pics and post a more detailed review next week.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Alright, as usual the Indy costume was a hit and the new replica S&W I got from Todd's just in time was the icing on the cake. I waited until the party was in full swing before I "shot" something. As expected, it was an attention getter. First it was a mechanical ghoul hiding in the microwave, then it was a the 8 ball refusing to go in the corner pocket, but the most satisfying shot was shooting the idiot parading around half naked in a toucan bikini brief. (He had it coming) He was about 15 feet away and he said he actually felt the wind of the shot hit him. Cool.

Here are some pics of the gun.

I really, really like the look, feel and weight of this prop. Aside from the orange tip, it look absolutely real. And while loading the tiny caps into the bullets is a bit time consuming, the realistic loading of the "bullets" ups the coolness factor. I wish replacement shells were available so that you could have spare bullets ready to go instead of having to re-load the 6 that came with the gun. I looked online but could not find them. Perhaps a call or email to Todd's will provide an answer. It also would be nice to have spares in case a shell gets lost or damaged.

Speaking of the orange tip, I have mixed feelings about painting it. While it would be nice to have a more SA prop to display, the primary reason I bought the gun was to compliment the costume. I think erring on the side of caution is the way to go here and I don't want to have an unpleasant encounter with law enforcement, so I am leaving the gun as is. Also, there appears to be some debate as to whether it is actually illegal to paint over the orange tip of replica guns AND taking it outside and into public places. My reading and understanding of 15 C.F.R. PART 1150—MARKING OF TOY, LOOK-ALIKE AND IMITATION FIREARMS Title 15 - Commerce and Foreign Trade tells me that it is. Section 1150.2 prohibits ANY person from "transporting" a look-alike without the protective markings. Section 1150.4 provides waivers to the prohibition for firearm use in stage, tv and movie productions.

So, at $200 is Todd's 1917 S&W a good value? I'm not sure. It is a lot of clams, but then again people pay north of $100 for silent replicas. I really am impressed with the materials and the craftsmanship. It certainly doesn't "feel" cheap. I do have a concern about where I would buy additional caps if Todd's ever closed. (I've already order 3 more boxes of caps to have on hand). Anyone know who else carries replacement caps just in case? Anyway, I could not find an alternative that is made this nice. And once again I just have to say what a hit it was with the party crowd. So yes, I would say it was a very good buy and I would certainly recommend it to others.

If and when I have time I'll try to post a video shooting the gun.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

A sweet looking replica, I must say....but as you point out, $200 is a pretty hefty price.....not that out of the question for finding a fairly decent real thing...or at least a HUGE down payment on one, so I'm not sure that wold be something I'd find of interest myself.

Regards! Michaelson
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Looks nicer than mine.

Got the UHC today. It's pretty much what I expected. A bit bigger than I expected, though. It's a little plasticy feeling, though the grips feel wood-like. Took it out for a few shots and it seems to shoot straight.

Not bad. Pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I'll try and get some pictures up later in a new thread should anyone be interested.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Please do! The ad photo really wasn't all that clear. I'd be very interested in seeing what you got. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
spankuh
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by spankuh »

I just got one of these myself. The first thing I thought when I opened the box was, "I'll have to paint the barrel". I see your point about safety. I don't see myself running around in public with this in the holster. I'll mainly use this for a "full" suit up and that is usually at a party or some sort of event.

HH
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Todd has said the orange tip pops off very easily... Know I saw that posted either on the boards or his site...

Rather than paint it, why not just pop it off?
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Maybe on an older version it was a cap, but my tip is painted orange.
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Chewie Louie wrote:Maybe on an older version it was a cap, but my tip is painted orange.

Or maybe it was the other gun I'm thinking of? A cursory search of the boards turns up nothing.

...I could just be going senile at 22? :anxious:
stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stevemahaffey »

In the interest thread that I believe became this S&W, ( http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... rake+fluid ) I believe it is Todd that says:
"It is illegal to remove the orange paint. The feds will raid your house and confiscate your weapon. They'll force you, at gun point, to stomp it to pieces. Crying and pleading will not move them. And if you don't stomp hard enough, they'll start shooting at your feet and tell you to dance. I don't want that for anyone here.

BTW, the orange on this gun was quickly hand painted for this sample. The production models have a nice spray finish.

And now let's talk about a completely different subject - home repair. How many of you have plastic front doors with ugly orange paint on them? When I need to restore my painted plastic front door, a good way to remove the paint without damaging the plastic is with an orange-based paint remover, like the kind you can find at your local hardware store. An alternative is "Easy-Off" oven cleaner. That's an old plastic model kit builder's trick. Also, brake fluid is known to attack paint, but not plastic parts. So using one of these methods, I can strip the paint from my front door without damage, and prepare it for repainting. I think I saw Bob Villa do this.

UPDATE: DON'T use Citri-Strip. It'll turn ABS to mush. I just found that out the hard way.
But, if I have company coming over, AND MY FRONT DOOR WILL BE EXPOSED TO PUBLIC SCRUTINY, I cover my front door with orange tape so no one calls the cops on me and I'm shot dead. As you know, death is fatal."

I have not yet attempted this, since my Wife tells me that I will be "locked out of the house if I remove the orange paint from my front door". I really like this 'door'.
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

WOW! I just saw this. Todd, very nice in getting these guns. I do not wish to be a wet blanket but I must point out something that folks my try.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS Here in California while legal to own a replica gun, it is very illegal to "brandish" it. Brandishing is a very subjective code here so I would not recommend you take it out of your holster and handle it in public i.e. treat it as if were a real gun. Second, it is HIGHLY ILLEGAL to modify a replica to make it look like the real thing. DO NOT paint over the orange tip. It is a crime and if the police find out you could be looking at a felony arrest and conviction. If you wish I will post the current Ca Penal Code 12050. I know it sounds dumb to have a plastic gun but more illegal then a real one but them's the laws here. Mods, you may want to copy and sticky this for reference. I would hate to have a gear head serving time for a hobby.

Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's been posted many many times here Jeff, and usually right before a major convention or a QM summit, and we're sure it won't be the last, so no need to sticky.

No one seems to read the stickies or announcments anyway and are always surprised when they get caught doing something that was posted and stickied years ago, :roll: so may as well keep it fresh everytime someone posts the same information. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

OK. Yeah, I know it's been posted but it was a while ago and in other threads. This particular gun looks absolutely real and a cop would be justified in shooting someone if they ever waived it about. I still think the QM post should have a big warning for all (especially out of staters) about our super-duper tough gun laws.

Cheers,
Jeff
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Another great offering from Todd!
This is on my "to buy" list for down the road....gotta get more props first!
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Just placed an order for one. I have been a customer of Todd's for years and have always loved his product. The fact that he updates and futzes with his stuff is awesome and shows how much he cares about us and the hobby.

This is the last piece to my Raiders gear....well... I need some really accurate pants... and maybe some Aldens instead of Todd's unless his updated boot is that much better, maybe an updated holster belt, maybe a more accurate bag strap (Wade's is a tad too orange for me)....maybe a Wested that's more accurate the Raiders special....hmmm....
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Redinight wrote:Just placed an order for one. I have been a customer of Todd's for years and have always loved his product. The fact that he updates and futzes with his stuff is awesome and shows how much he cares about us and the hobby.

This is the last piece to my Raiders gear....well... I need some really accurate pants... and maybe some Aldens instead of Todd's unless his updated boot is that much better, maybe an updated holster belt, maybe a more accurate bag strap (Wade's is a tad too orange for me)....maybe a Wested that's more accurate the Raiders special....hmmm....
Todd has plans on revamping his boots? I've spent the last ten months getting my current Coyle's boots to look nice and 'worn' and they look great, especially with a generous dose of Fullers Earth on top! But if Todd can come up with an even BETTER copy of the Aldens then I'm sold.
I'm a proud supporter of Todd's products as well and recommend them to any gearhead new to the hobby who may have a tighter budget but a taste for quality design.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

What ever you do, just make sure not to get acetone anywhere near your gun.
I accidentally wiped my Tanaka airsoft Model 10 revolver down with acetone and the orange paint came completely off! So, beware of what you use to clean your gun!
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Wow. I love it!!!!! It's really the first part of the gear (besides a real MkVII bag) where I couldn't find any faults. I wish it could be all metal and have wood grips to make it feel a little more sturdy, but that's just keeping the cost reasonable. You want that? Then go for the real deal, but beware you won't find it without a long search and modification of the barrel. Oh, and a price tag that could buy you about five of these buggers. Speaking of the real deal, every male in my family collects guns. I own several without asking for them (a 410 shotgun as a newborn) and I've handled everything from a civil war musket to an Uzi and a Japanese pistol used to commit suicide (as seen by the soldier who retrieved it). My point, this is very realistic. Tanaka makes awesome stuff and Todd provided them with the info to make it. This is spendy, but Tananka is spendy stuff. I hope Todd can make a Webley for those who would buy it. I love the rounds and how they work. I love the packaging, just like the real deal. My Dad owns a nickel plated .44 S&W and I can't wait to put this next to it and compare!!!!!

Thank you so much Todd!!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm fixin' to order one of these. The 'playability' factor of it is just too cool. Sure, I would love to buy a real one - but as mentioned before, that involves some hunting, modification, high price tag AND you can't shoot it anywhere.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

kwad wrote:I accidentally wiped my Tanaka airsoft Model 10 revolver down with acetone and the orange paint came completely off!
That's right! Acetone will take the orange paint off AND YOU SHOULD NEVER NEVER DO THAT

but if it does, by some strange accident happen, you can follow another members advice and stick an Orange Ear Plug into the barrel and let it stick out the legal requirement...
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Yeah, let's stay away from that awful Acetone stuff *cough* :-0
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

I'm grateful that our law here doesn't enforce orange paint on replica guns.
IndyMack
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyMack »

That's a beaut Yuji! What exactly did you do to get that look? :-k
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Thank you very much IndyMack.
Just lightly brushed key areas with metallic paint.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nice look you have there yuji, is that a Tanaka?

And if one were to accidently clean off some dirt w/acetone, is the finish underneith shiny?

Croft :mrgreen:
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Indiana Croft wrote:Nice look you have there yuji, is that a Tanaka?

And if one were to accidently clean off some dirt w/acetone, is the finish underneith shiny?

Croft :mrgreen:
I don't think so, I've seen various pictures of the Tanaka Works pistols that were "wiped clean" :lol: and the tips don't seem to come out shiny-lookin'
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

And here a picture of my piece a realy Great replica!
the look is right but a little light ,not like a real gun /and quite expensive......

But realy! realy! Great replica!
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Great looking piece Rudolf :)

I see that the tip is a bit lighter than the rest of the gun though :-k