Ode to my Todds boots. I'm impressed!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Ode to my Todds boots. I'm impressed!

Post by Mountaineer »

If you don't have the right sized paper to print off Todd's templates (which I didn't) you can try this trick (which I used and had good success).

Take 2 pieces of 8.5 x 11-inch paper and lay them end to end, making it 8.5 x 22 inches. Then tape them together and feed that through the printer. Make sure resizing or whatever it may be called on your particular printer is off.

Print the templates around (above and below) the size you think you may be. In my case I did two different templates, one my normal shoe size and then one smaller than normal.

Once printed, check them for scale with a ruler, if 1 inch (or cms for you metric COW-folk) on the printed page really equals 1 inch (or cms for you metric COW-folk) on a ruler, you're on your way to getting this right.

All that is left is to then check how large your foot is to the template and order based on that knowledge.

I did the above and got the perfect fit of a shoe/boot. Yes, it was a size smaller than what I would normally order.
DOHERTYJAX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DOHERTYJAX »

Thanks guys...........................Looks like I will be going with the size 10
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My Coyle Outdoorsman's Boots in the Gulf

Post by Mountaineer »

theinterchange wrote:Last Wednesday, my parents and I took my grandma to the west coast as a trip down memory lane for her birthday. While there, we stopped for a bit at Nokomis Beach... My Todd's boots got a little wet.

The next day, I just wiped 'em down well with water and went on. I NEED to Pecards them again after being subjected to saltwater.

Randy
Nice beads of water there Randy.

Pecard's in action huh?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Yep, Pecards is wonderful stuff, The boots themselves didn't leak, water came in only around the tongue.

Randy
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Cool.

My new boots have become my all day shoes at this point.

Very comfortable; even in "stock" configuration.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Oh yeah. I wear mine daily anymore. They seem to be the best fitting shoes/boots I own. I can't wait to get a pair of Aldens to compare.

Randy
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Worn for two days straight at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot - lots and lots of walking and NO problems!
Bravo Todd!
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

todd has yet to give me any reason not to trust his work , he thinks the way we all do and to get items that will be as screen accurate as possible at little cost, he rocks !!!
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

indyclone wrote:todd has yet to give me any reason not to trust his work , he thinks the way we all do and to get items that will be as screen accurate as possible at little cost, he rocks !!!
That definitely rocks! I don't wear mine daily but they haven't given me any problems. It fits great and they're very comfortable!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I don't think there is a lot of traffic in the scrapbook section and I want to share my videos and pics from my vacation with all my fellow gearheads, so if you want to see what some Indy gear looks like on video, check out the thread:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45718
I'm even happy to report that most of the Fullers Earch I applied to my Todds stayed on the entire trip.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I guess it was bound to happen...I just wish it hadn't. My left sole, after a year of use, has finally started to separate. The heel is coming loose from the sole, the first layer of sole is separating from the next layer, that layer is coming loose...sigh.

As I can't afford to have them resoled, I'm going to try to repair them at home like I repaired the right sole when it fell off the shoe.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Indiana Joyce wrote:I guess it was bound to happen...I just wish it hadn't. My left sole, after a year of use, has finally started to separate. The heel is coming loose from the sole, the first layer of sole is separating from the next layer, that layer is coming loose...sigh.

As I can't afford to have them resoled, I'm going to try to repair them at home like I repaired the right sole when it fell off the shoe.

Indiana Joyce- That's ok. Your Todds have lasted longer than my Aldens. I sent the Aldens back to repaired only after two months of wear and after the repair the soles went right back to separating. I'm sorry about your Todds. :(

Sean :TOH:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Yep I'm impressed too!

I usually take a 9 but with none available and after taking advice here on them running big I took a leap of faith and ordered an 8. They arrived in the UK in no time at all and not only fit perfectly I can honestly say they are the comfiest shoes I've had straight from the box.
No pinching or rubbing and after a week of daily wear they feel like old faithfulls. :tup:
The heel material does seem to be losing a few small chunks already so I'm going to keep a close eye on them and see how they fare.

Thanks Todd

Cheers
Zoltar
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Quick update,

I've just had my heels replaced after one month :shock: , I guess I must walk on the back of my heels because only the back 1/2 inch had worn at an angle through to the tan layer. The heels also had a few chunks missing here and there. I've never had this problem on any shoes before so it is just the material that's just not up to the job.

The rest of the boot is holding up great though and after a £15 repair I'm still very happy as they honestly are the confiest things I've ever worn.

I knew from reading these threads what I was getting myself into so yeah I'm still impressed. :tup:

ZOLTAR
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

Zoltar wrote:Quick update,

I've just had my heels replaced after one month :shock: , I guess I must walk on the back of my heels because only the back 1/2 inch had worn at an angle through to the tan layer. The heels also had a few chunks missing here and there. I've never had this problem on any shoes before so it is just the material that's just not up to the job.

The rest of the boot is holding up great though and after a £15 repair I'm still very happy as they honestly are the confiest things I've ever worn.

I knew from reading these threads what I was getting myself into so yeah I'm still impressed. :tup:

ZOLTAR

Yeah-- my heels are worn the same...

I still have the problem I mentioned before-- need to take 'em to the cobbler-- just been too busy. And in the meantime, the soles have gotten REALLY messed up. I'm hoping the cobbler can patch these up with something that will last longer.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

I purchased some of the original boots Todd offered and decided when they had worn enough to have new leather soles and Vibram heels and sole protectors installed. It cost me $65.00, but was well worth the expense as it made these my favorite shoes to wear. They are absolutely great, and comfortable. My new soles and heals are wear much better than the originals as it has been over 1 1/2 years since I had them replaced. Wish I could put up pictures, but not able to. :oops:

Regards,

Soup
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

I just got my Todd's boots. Like others, I am impressed. They are very comfortable right out of the box. Shipping was very fast as well. I think I got them 2 days after the order. I am in southern California, so they did not have time to go. I got them to double as casual/dress shoes so I could justify them to my wife, so I will see how they hold up.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Mine have done some miles now and sadly the durabilty in the soles is terrible. I've been wearing them to try and let them weather naturally but the uppers were still as new. The heels only lasted about a month of daily wear before replacement and a visit to a theme park recently finished of the soles. I've had them repaired and now retired them for costume only wear, I've also started some artificial weathering.

All in I'm still happy with these as Importing some Aldens into the UK is way out of my budget. Even with the running repairs they are still way under the cost of the real deal.

Might sound a bit negative but I would still buy another pair, they are great costume boot's just sadly not up to daily wear.

ZOLTAR
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Went to the cobbler today with these.

He told me it'd cost $100 to have them resoled and reheeled.

For $75 boots? No thanks...
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

BaptisteTheFool wrote:Went to the cobbler today with these.

Yeah, but, when you're done, you'll have a pair of $175 boots! ;)

I've had my Todd's for 3 months now. Within the first week, the rubber heel began to seperate from the spacers. So, I nailed them down (the little nails they give you to fasten the cardboard backs on cheap entertainment centers are the perfect size, BTW). But, they are wearing fast.

My only other problem with them was the heal staple. Mine were causing a pressure point on my heal that became quite painful after daily wear. I ended up making some leather insoles to cover heal portion (I made them out of stacked pieces I cut from an old pair of soft leather pants...hey, it was the early 90's :oops: ) and they are now really comfy.
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

kwad wrote:
BaptisteTheFool wrote:Went to the cobbler today with these.

Yeah, but, when you're done, you'll have a pair of $175 boots! ;)

I've had my Todd's for 3 months now. Within the first week, the rubber heel began to seperate from the spacers. So, I nailed them down (the little nails they give you to fasten the cardboard backs on cheap entertainment centers are the perfect size, BTW). But, they are wearing fast.

My only other problem with them was the heal staple. Mine were causing a pressure point on my heal that became quite painful after daily wear. I ended up making some leather insoles to cover heal portion (I made them out of stacked pieces I cut from an old pair of soft leather pants...hey, it was the early 90's :oops: ) and they are now really comfy.

Well, again-- no steady income. I was expecting $50ish. That's what my dad spent when he got his shoes repaired there. I would have gone for that.

Perhaps I'll get 'em repaired some day. But I kinda feel I'd rather just spend the extra $200ish and get a pair of Aldens instead.

Fingers crossed that the latest application I put in goes my way. I'm pretty excited about this potential position.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I've had my boots for a bit over a year and a half, probably closer to 2 years. I have worn them nearly everday I've had them. As work boots, plus I have trained several horses with them on, so they've been stepped on plenty, and one day I even rode dirtbikes in the rocky high-desert with them. Not to mention the countless times camping and hunting. These boots can take it.

Now, I have replaced soles and heels. I did the heels first, at about the 3 month mark. I had the #### staples removed (they caused pressure on my heels too) and had the new heels nailed on instead. That was less than $40.

I later had the soles done. I went with a smooth sole with just a little more traction. The pics are around here somewhere earlier in this thread I think.

Mine are still holding up great, although the heels are ready to be replaced again. :TOH:
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Good to hear the Todds are still holding up!! ;)
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Mine are still going strong - looks more and more "Indy used" every month. I am so pleased with the quality and value of these boots and not enough thanks can be given to Todd for offering them!
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:I thought I'd never shell out the kind of money needed for a new pair of Aldens, but I did purchase a lightly used pair from another member. Until you've worn them it's hard to understand just how good they are. I wear them daily in maintenance shops, on farms and construction sites, hot, cold, wet, dry - they're like nothing else I've ever had. When necessary I'll have them re-heeled, re-soled and rebuilt. If I outlive them I'll get another pair - new if I can afford to. There are other good boots out there, but I've gotta say that the Aldens seem to be in a class by themselves (with, of course, the caveat that I haven't worn all, or even many, of the others).

LJ
I have owned both the Todd's and the now Aldens. I agree with LJ, until you have worn the Aldens, you don't know how good they are. However, if Alden's are not in your budget, I am glad there is a cheaper alternative like Todd's out there. Choices are always good.

Beaverlid
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

:tup:

LJ
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Well, I just received my Todd's boots yesterday and I have to say I'm very impressed with them. They're so comfortable, apart from the heel, which has something protruding into my heel. I've just bought some padded insoles for them and I hope they do the job.

All in all, they're fantastic. I'm just not looking forward to when they eventually start to fall apart, and judging from the comments here, it won't be that long. LOL.
tlivin
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tlivin »

Let me join the group. I love my Todd's boots. enough said. Thank's Todd
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

#### :|

Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Ouch. That's a blowout.
Victoryhats
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Victoryhats »

Double Ouch! I need to save for a pair of Aldens
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

Dang, that's NOT good!

I've had my Todds now for a little over 2 years now and am just becoming more "in tune" with them. Since buying them, I had troubles with what I felt was one sole being thicker than the other, so everytime I'd wear them, my feet would get killed after just an hour or two with them on. As such, I always felt like they were clod-hoppers as far as being incredibly heavy to wear.

However, I'm now VERY PLEASED to say that not only have they held up to the everyday grind of country life/work, but are now feeling much better on my feet and seem more "even" as far as balance. I find myself yearning more to wear and beat the stuffing out of them to make them look more Indy-like and couldn't be happier now with them.

A word of caution though for those of you who are thinking of purchasing a pair of these boots - you do get what you pay for. Todd has always brought us wonderfully SA and durable items of Indy gear and I have yet to hold a complaint against him, his business, or the items he sells. But one thing I always had in the back of my head when I made my initial purchase was the expectation that these might not last all that long or eventually have some problems with them - I mean, for $75, c'mon... the realization has to be there. I even bought a 2nd pair with the expectation that not long in the future when my 1st pair break down, I'll have a back-up pair ready for use. Amazingly, it's been 2 years and I STILL haven't needed the 2nd pair. But I'm just saying - pay $75 for a pair of boots and I feel one has to expect something to fall apart eventually. Now with a $450 pair of Aldens... my expectations would be much lower. And even with a few fixes from the 'ol cobbler, the Todds could eventually be re-fixed to be as durable as the Aldens and still come out much cheaper than an original, brand new pair.

So what I'm getting at is: if you're even the slightest worried about potential future fixes by a cobbler with the Todds boots or the soles wearing down, etc. I'd personally suggest putting that money towards a pair of Aldens. If you're looking for a reasonably priced pair of the most accurately designed Indy boots out there that you can beat the @#$% out of and still be able to afford to fix or replace entirely with another pair, Todds are the way to go.
Victoryhats
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Victoryhats »

IndyRiv wrote:Dang, that's NOT good!

I've had my Todds now for a little over 2 years now and am just becoming more "in tune" with them. Since buying them, I had troubles with what I felt was one sole being thicker than the other, so everytime I'd wear them, my feet would get killed after just an hour or two with them on. As such, I always felt like they were clod-hoppers as far as being incredibly heavy to wear.

However, I'm now VERY PLEASED to say that not only have they held up to the everyday grind of country life/work, but are now feeling much better on my feet and seem more "even" as far as balance. I find myself yearning more to wear and beat the stuffing out of them to make them look more Indy-like and couldn't be happier now with them.

A word of caution though for those of you who are thinking of purchasing a pair of these boots - you do get what you pay for. Todd has always brought us wonderfully SA and durable items of Indy gear and I have yet to hold a complaint against him, his business, or the items he sells. But one thing I always had in the back of my head when I made my initial purchase was the expectation that these might not last all that long or eventually have some problems with them - I mean, for $75, c'mon... the realization has to be there. I even bought a 2nd pair with the expectation that not long in the future when my 1st pair break down, I'll have a back-up pair ready for use. Amazingly, it's been 2 years and I STILL haven't needed the 2nd pair. But I'm just saying - pay $75 for a pair of boots and I feel one has to expect something to fall apart eventually. Now with a $450 pair of Aldens... my expectations would be much lower. And even with a few fixes from the 'ol cobbler, the Todds could eventually be re-fixed to be as durable as the Aldens and still come out much cheaper than an original, brand new pair.

So what I'm getting at is: if you're even the slightest worried about potential future fixes by a cobbler with the Todds boots or the soles wearing down, etc. I'd personally suggest putting that money towards a pair of Aldens. If you're looking for a reasonably priced pair of the most accurately designed Indy boots out there that you can beat the @#$% out of and still be able to afford to fix or replace entirely with another pair, Todds are the way to go.

I agree for $75.00 bucks I'd buy a pair whenever they receive new stock. Are you saying it took two years for yours’ to break in?
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

I purchased my Todd's in 2008, and really like them. About a year after I bought them I decided to replace the heels with something newer since they were wearing out. I took them to a shoe repair shop that has been in business 50+ years for the repair, his comment was they were a good quality boot and was surprised I only paid $75.00 for them. This was the first time he has seen this boot, but I figured he has pretty much seen it all in his life and knew his stuff. After discussing options with him, I decided to replace the soles with leather, add Vibram sole protectors and heels. It cost me $75.00 to have them done, so $150.00 total investment in the shoes. After nearly 2 years since them, the heels and soles have barely worn, and I wear them quite a bit. I have been fortunate that I have had good luck with these shoes, for me I couldn't afford an additional $300.00 for a nice pair of Aldens. I have to pay my house payment instead. ;)

Your right, comparing a $75.00 boot to a $450.00 boot is apples and organges, but I certainly can't fault what I have for what I have paid.

Regards,

Soup
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

See the new problem is Alden's don't come in my size...and now Todd isn't selling 13's anymore. So when these inevitably go, I'm out of luck, because I will never afford Magnoli boots, and after having Todd's stuff, I don't want to wear close enough anything.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I wonder if you could help me with the sizing..I wear usually european 44-45 size shoes depending on the maker (and I guess 11 US..?)I measured my feet which are around 29.5 cm (from heel to toe)so which Todd shoe is for me....any one?
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

MARQ wrote:I wonder if you could help me with the sizing..I wear usually european 44-45 size shoes depending on the maker (and I guess 11 US..?)I measured my feet which are around 29.5 cm (from heel to toe)so which Todd shoe is for me....any one?
You know, I think there used to be a way on Todds site to print out foot outlines but I can't seem to find them anymore. I'd suggest contacting Todd directly about which boot will fit you. He might be able to send you his foot outlines and directions on how to use/print them off. I've heard those have been a BIG help for people in trying to decide on his boots. Also, if you're techologically capable and savvy, perhaps draw an outline on a piece of paper of your foot, scan it, and then send that to Todd via email. Those are the only options I can think of right now to help aid you in your decision of the right sized boot.

:TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

OK,I´ll try that.Thanks a bunch.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I'm very impressed with all Todds gear but believe I have missed the opportunity to get a pair of his boots. I did receive an email that no new stock was anticipated. Saying that though, I was told something similar about the jacket, and guess what's winging it's way to me as I type?

So if no possibility of Todds, I will likely go for Magnoli Boots in Saddle.
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

indyexpat wrote: I did receive an email that no new stock was anticipated.
That would be a BIG SHAME if they didn't continue with providing these boots. They are EXCELLENT boots and mine have withstood a lot already and are still holding up well. Plus, for those who may not be able to afford Magnoli's or Aldens, you can't beat the price of Todds or the quality/replication of the Aldens in his boots.

And I'd just like to point out that even if one were decked out with all his other gear, they wouldn't be able to utilize it to the fullest if one doesn't have a good pair of BOOTS on their feet. Without boots, the rest of the costume is a moot issue. :TOH:
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Good point.. Adding hat to cart...
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I recently ordered a new set of these as backups to my current set of Todd's, which are my daily wear shoes.

I think I got the original pair circa Feb. 2009 and they've been great shoes during that time.

The old boots had both heels replaced after they wore down to the cork; about a year's worth of daily wear.

They are now at the cobbler's where he's going to put on replacement half-soles. After another year's worth of wear they had since worn to the cork.

I forgot how thick the leather soles are on these when new, so it was time for some side-by-side shots.

Preview:

The 3-shot Album:
http://imageshack.us/g/585/p1050853.jpg/
babyjoe
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by babyjoe »

So what is the verdict then, no new boots? Because the site says new sizes expected next year (or is that outdated info?).
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

My understanding, he had the smaller sizes (6, 7) but not any of the larger.

Normally I take an 8, but his 7s fit me, so that's what I re-ordered.

Beyond that, you'd have to ask Todd (AKA Puppetboy).
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I asked Todds many times - they're searching for new suppliers but may not be a viable product now. Volume etc. Magnoli are expensive (well in contrast to Todds, but not Alden) but the next best option.. unless you can find some ALDO Rodriguez, but I doubt it. I've been looking. So spend a little more or well, go without :(
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'd like to take some pics of my Todd's boots soon and show them off. They are about a year 1/2 old give or take and they are so well worn and broken in - the look gorgeous!
Although I did some faux weathering with sandpaper on the toe and heel, it is mainly all naturally worn.
I was thinking of making the leather darker - can someone recommend a leather tanning product that I may be able to find in a retail store?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

deleted
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Those are Todd's? Great colour, natural or did you polish them a deeper colour?

Answer - Fiebings "russet" leather dye (eBay 4oz).