Ode to my Todds boots. I'm impressed!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Ode to my Todds boots. I'm impressed!

Post by IndianaSean »

Well fellow gear heads I, like most of you purchased a pair of Todds outdoorsman boots. I must say that I wasn't quite sure how they would hold up. But for the price I couldn't go wrong. I have used these as my work boots, leisure boots and of course adventuring boots and I must say they have held up admirably. Here are two pics of the my boots showing the intentional as well as the unintentional abuse. I have put these through Hades and back. The heels are flaking apart, the stitching is loose and coming apart, and the soles are splitting. And through all that, even in their current condition they still have many miles on them. However since my Aldens are on the way its time to back burner these babies. Maybe even upgrade them down the line. Todd, I must commend you sir. For a "costume" supplier, your gear is of quality and a price to match. :TOH:

Fortune and Glory! :TOH:
Sean

Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Ode to my Todds boots. I'm impressed!

Post by Indyzane »

I must say your boots are looking my SA than mine!
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Here here! :H: I hope mine look that good after being "to heck and back." ;) I just got some Todd's boots several weeks ago, and they are my best friends now, and looking better by the week. Great product at a great price. Thanks, Todd!
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Thanks Indyzane. Got a pic of yours?

And I forgot to post the second pic. In this photo you can clearly see the heel deterioration. So here it is. :lol:

Fortune and Glory!
Sean :TOH:

IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Jason I agree!! Todd has some great stuff. I can't wait for his trousers! \:D/

Cheers to you Todd. Keep up the good work. :H:

Fortune and Glory! :TOH:
Sean
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

IndianaSean wrote:Thanks Indyzane. Got a pic of yours?

And I forgot to post the second pic. In this photo you can clearly see the heel deterioration. So here it is. :lol:

Fortune and Glory!

Yes I have a picture! But you’re going to laugh though. I live in extreme heat and I don’t get a chance to wear mine as much as everyone else. So I have had mine for a year and a half and worn them twice! I know I should wear them more but I cant put my flip flops away. ](*,) I also purchased a pair of Aldens and have been wearing them more lately. Anyways yours look awesome! Like I said much more SA than mine. Also welcome to the Club! :TOH:

Indyzane

Here is a picture when they where brand new LOL.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Gosh they look so purdy!! I'm not sure when I can remember mine looking like that anymore. :lol:

RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

IndianaSean wrote: Todd, I must commend you sir. For a "costume" supplier, your gear is of quality and a price to match. :TOH:
I 2nd that!!! Cheers to Todd!! :H:

My Todd's Outdoorsman's. Approx. 1 year old. Worn majority of days (more than 50%). Have had to replace heels at approx. 6mo mark. Have worn at work, training horses, camping/fishing. Have "pecarded" them once or twice, and wipe down with Lexol every so often.

Last edited by RaidersBash on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

RaidersBash wrote:My Todd's Outdoorsman's. Approx. 1 year old. Worn majority of days (more than 50%). Have had to replace heels at approx. 6mo mark. Have worn at work, training horses, camping/fishing. Have "pecarded" them once or twice, and wipe down with Lexol every so often.

Those look great. Great color! They are a good boot. :clap: My photos make the boots out to be lighter than they are. Mine are more of a daker brown.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm releaved to see there are some positive reviews of Todd's boots. Since my budget for my gear is limited, I wanted to invest the majority of the funds on what I consider to be the four most important pieces: Hat, Jacket, Shirt, Whip.
The boots that Todd offers looks to be reasonably SA and at a more than reasonable price.
Can anyone tell me what walking in these is like? I never wore shoes without tred before! Is it slippy? :TOH:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Glad to see this post up again. I just picked mine up yesterday from the shop. I never thought the shoe too slippery, but I did find myself a couple times slipping on rocks when I was hiking. That is really just further testimony to this great footwear. I'm nearly certain that Todd: DID NOT ENVISION PEOPLE HIKING AND BOULDER JUMPING AND TIDEPOOL HOPPING IN THESE.

I have done all of these and then some.

Because of this, I did have the shop put on a slight traction sole. It's similar, i believe, to the soles on WWII Infantry boots, and i have noticed a difference.

But, this is all just my opinion. I liked the boots fine with the old soles, and wore them faithfully for more than a year that way.

Last edited by RaidersBash on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

generalFROSTY wrote:I'm releaved to see there are some positive reviews of Todd's boots. Since my budget for my gear is limited, I wanted to invest the majority of the funds on what I consider to be the four most important pieces: Hat, Jacket, Shirt, Whip.
The boots that Todd offers looks to be reasonably SA and at a more than reasonable price.
Can anyone tell me what walking in these is like? I never wore shoes without tred before! Is it slippy? :TOH:

I second the idea that I'm sure Todd was not thinking that these boots would be really "put to the test". Then again he knows how gear heads are. I used my boots for everyday wear, work wear, and hiking. I didn't really notice and slippage at the time. However I would be cautious around slippery areas anyway. Throw some tread on those babies and your golden.

Fortune and Glory!
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Todds is sold out of my size (9) so I posted a WTB thread. ](*,)
Hopefully someone who has a pair in my size is willing to let them go... :D
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Just got these in the mail - size 8 fits perfect.
I was surprised by how soft the leather is. Not used to that on shoes, but it looks constructed pretty good - and for the price, they are the best choice out there if true Aldens are out of your budget.
We will see how they hold up as I will be wearing them often to break them in.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

congrats! They'll probably become your favorite shoes :TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Favorate shoes? Nahh...that title goes to my black suade Timberland boots. Black boots have always been my 'essential' footwear.
I have to get used to walking in these though - the smooth bottom can get slippy on some surfaces.
I plan on wearing these with the rest of my gear when I go to Disney Orlando in March. Anyone have any reviews on how they feel walking in them all day??
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Your spine will thank you for chosing them because even if they are not Aldens , Todd's boots provide a very good arch support .
Trust me , I will never follow my wife on clothing sale days without my Todd's boots on .
Never again . :anxious:

TMFR
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

ThatManFromRio wrote:Your spine will thank you for chosing them because even if they are not Aldens , Todd's boots provide a very good arch support .
Trust me , I will never follow my wife on clothing sale days without my Todd's boots on .

TMFR
yeah, they're a pretty spot on and faithful copy of the aldens. Todd spent a great deal of time on the shoes as he does everything else. I think the shoes were "reverse engineered" from several donor Aldens. One guy posted that even his cobbler thought they were Aldens!
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

generalFROSTY wrote:Favorate shoes? Nahh...that title goes to my black suade Timberland boots. Black boots have always been my 'essential' footwear.
I have to get used to walking in these though - the smooth bottom can get slippy on some surfaces.
I plan on wearing these with the rest of my gear when I go to Disney Orlando in March. Anyone have any reviews on how they feel walking in them all day??

Had mine for a couple weeks now. Like them an awful lot, though my feet have been getting a little sore after a 16 hour stretch... They're pretty #### comfortable for the first bunch of hours though. Seem extremely well constructed on top of that. All in all, I'm really impressed with them. Aesthetically they're the nicest shoes I've ever owned and I'm surprised at how well they fit. They were comfortable right out of the box. And the leather is really soft and supple.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

ThatManFromRio wrote:Your spine will thank you for chosing them because even if they are not Aldens , Todd's boots provide a very good arch support .

TMFR
Man, if my girlfriend wants to go shopping on a whim and I'm not wearing my Aldens, I know I'm in for back trouble.

Todd's boots have one thing that the Alden's don't, that IMO I really like. They are slimmer throughout, just slightly. Example: the toe is a little shorter (in height) which carries up the tongue/laces to the top of the boot. (Does that make sense to everybody?) It is very minor, but its noticeable with different size pants. So with slimmer pants/jeans like APC's New Standard Jean or slim business casual pants, the Todd's are always on, and with more regular fit pants with a bigger leg opening "like the Raiders pants, or your standard regular fit pant from say the GAP" the Aldens look better. The only aesthetic difference in the boot from Aldens is the reverse full welt and its slightly shorter in ankle height.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Do Todd's boots copy Alden's sizing as well? Do they run big like Aldens?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Chamorro wrote:Do Todd's boots copy Alden's sizing as well? Do they run big like Aldens?
Yes, a little.
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

I just received my Todd's boots today as well...I'm very impressed, but I'm torn between distressing them immediately and keeping them for wearing to work and such...they're that nice! I added some sole inserts just to insure they stay comfortable. Wearing my wested washed goat, wested pants and Todd's boots to work today. Can't wait to break these boots in!!
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

TMFR
And then there's always those $10 slip-in dr. scholl-type inserts. I use another brand in shoes that are too flat inside and im fine with my almost flat feet.
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

generalFROSTY wrote:Just got these in the mail - size 8 fits perfect.
I was surprised by how soft the leather is. Not used to that on shoes, but it looks constructed pretty good - and for the price, they are the best choice out there if true Aldens are out of your budget.
So they do run a bit big? I usually wear a size 9 1/2. I have printed of both size 9 and 10 temp lets from Todd's website and they both seem close. I guessing since it is a boot (usually larger fit) and I have a somewhat narrow feet I could go with a size 9.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Been wearing mine nearly every day since recieving them - they look and feel like they will hold up pretty well. I have heard of people having construction problems with these in the past, if that was the case, such problems must have been taken care of because these feel like they are built pretty well.
Since I will be doing a considerable amount of walking in these at the Disney parks, I am wondering if I should invest in a pair of gel insoles?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

deleted.
Last edited by theinterchange on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

fuzzjunk wrote:
generalFROSTY wrote:Just got these in the mail - size 8 fits perfect.
So they do run a bit big? I usually wear a size 9 1/2. I have printed of both size 9 and 10 temp lets from Todd's website and they both seem close. I guessing since it is a boot (usually larger fit) and I have a somewhat narrow feet I could go with a size 9.
They do run big.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

These are mine, after about 9 months wearing them almost everyday. I found them very comfortable.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

A few weeks and still going strong. I'm really happy with these boots. They are THE alternative to the high-priced Aldens if you don't have the budget for them. :TOH:
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

After about a year, I had one of the eyelets come out. I dropped them off yesterday at a local bootery where they just happen to sell Aldens. The women behind the counter looked at them and said, "These are the Indy boots, aren't they?" assuming them to be genuine Aldens. She said, "We'll have to order the speed lacers directly from Aldens. It'll take a week or two."
Nice job, Todd...
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Oh yeah!! Can't beat that!! Like I said before I beat the holy @#$% outa mine before I finally got Aldens. And I can still use 'em! They just keep on ticking.

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Can the color of the leather on Todd's boots be darkened by an application of olive oil? I've been reading how members are darkening thier whips using this method.
I just got some fullers earth powder today and dusted the boots - it looks really good resting in the cracks and creases of the leather.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Well I'm sure you could. I don't know why you would want to. After all it is a food byproduct. So depending on where your at this could attract insects and the like. Kinda the same reasons to avoid Mink oils and such. Plus, I'm not to sure about its leather preserving properties, if any. I am curious as to what Michaelson has to say. Just think though....if your ever stranded and hungry...you always have your boots to eat. Sorry...couldn't help it.. :CR:

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Fuller's Earth really does not stay on these for very long at all. It's funny how I WANT the shoes to look old and dusty when every other time people are trying to keep thier shoes looking as new as possible.
I thought about using fine-grit sanding paper to add texture for the FE to adhere to, but I think I am just going to wear these as much as possible and let them get beat up on thier own. They are really comfortable anyway so wearing them a lot won't be such a pain!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

One thing I have noticed from these photos, did you guys order replacement alden laces? My laces don't look like that. I'd like to get a replacement pair of laces if that is the case, but, I'm afraid they won't fit as I'd need their longest laces. I got Todd's 13's and I wear a 14, and I can't say enough nice things about these. Had them almost a year, and I've used shoe goop to fix the sole issue, and I dyed mine, but I love wearing them. Besides wearing a fedora, the shoes put me in a '30s state of mind.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

What do your laces look like? My Coyle's came with the 'flat' brown laces.
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I've had my Todd's boots for about a month. I absolutely love 'em! I sanded them with ultra fine grade sandpaper, and they look perfect IMO. In fact, I'm gonna get another pair to be my "dressier" boots. After a month in, the boots are fine, but the laces seem like they're gonna go soon. I've seen plenty of laces recently that will work.. Harrison used round laces anyway. I've spent too much money on inferior Indy gear, but these boots can't be beat. SA, way cheaper than Aldens, and I'll post pics of my sanded down boots ASAP. I've read posts about Alden's having problems as well. These boots cannot be beat for the price vs. Screen accuracy....That's my two cents :whip:

David
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Can't wait to see the pics of the sanded down pair David. I've thought of doing that to mine, but I just like 'em too much and can't bring myself to it (especially since there's no telling when Todd might have more and I missed the pair a few weeks ago in the bazaar for $50! ](*,)
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

TenuredProfessor wrote:I've had my Todd's boots for about a month. I absolutely love 'em! I sanded them with ultra fine grade sandpaper, and they look perfect IMO. In fact, I'm gonna get another pair to be my "dressier" boots. After a month in, the boots are fine, but the laces seem like they're gonna go soon. I've seen plenty of laces recently that will work.. Harrison used round laces anyway. I've spent too much money on inferior Indy gear, but these boots can't be beat. SA, way cheaper than Aldens, and I'll post pics of my sanded down boots ASAP. I've read posts about Alden's having problems as well. These boots cannot be beat for the price vs. Screen accuracy....That's my two cents :whip:

David
No offense to those who shell out the big bucks for Aldens or even more money for the AB Aldens, but really - WHY spend more when Todd's boots are screen accurate AND extremely inexpensive?!
Pending how your photos look of your sanded boots, I may consider this for mine - but I do like wearing them and would like a non-worn pair as well.
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Ok-- now I have a complaint. I bought these in December. I've been wearing them every day since I got them. I just noticed though that the soles have split on both shoes about halfway down. It appears like it's a top layer sort of thing, but it's not even 2 months in-- too early for the soles to be breaking.

Don't know what it will cost to resole them. Thoughts? Not too thrilled...
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Raidersbash....uhoh....are you saying Todd is sold out completely of the boots? Certain sizes? I took it for granted that he'd have more. :Guess I'm gonna start babyin' mine :x

David
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

BaptisteTheFool wrote:Ok-- now I have a complaint. I bought these in December. I've been wearing them every day since I got them. I just noticed though that the soles have split on both shoes about halfway down. It appears like it's a top layer sort of thing, but it's not even 2 months in-- too early for the soles to be breaking.

Todd is aware of this issue. Speak to him about it. He will fix it up for you.
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

TheExit148 wrote:
BaptisteTheFool wrote:Ok-- now I have a complaint. I bought these in December. I've been wearing them every day since I got them. I just noticed though that the soles have split on both shoes about halfway down. It appears like it's a top layer sort of thing, but it's not even 2 months in-- too early for the soles to be breaking.

Ok, will do then. Thanks!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

TheExit148 wrote:

BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

BendingOak wrote:
TheExit148 wrote:

Quoted for truth? :-k

I'll take some photos of it when I get back home tonight and draft an email. Thanks, folks. :)
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Alrighty, as promised, here's my Todd's boots that I sanded with ultra fine sandpaper. It's a work in progress. As you can see, the reddish color shows on the spots you miss, but i kinda like the patchiness right now. I did look on Todd's website and there's no indication that the boots are sold out. For the price, I almost have to have another pair.

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... C00112.jpg

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... C00111.jpg

Only a month in, and no defects detected :)

David
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Not bad looking at all! I wonder what they would look like after being darkened with some leather conditioning? I am going to hold off on sanding them for the time being and see how they hold up on thier own first.
--------
I made a comment earlier which may have offended some owners of Aldens and I want to take the time to clarify my opinion as not to cause any uneccesary fox-pox.
I have worn my Todd's boots every day since recieving them, now going on past a month and in that time, these boots are holding up with the same level of quality I would expect from any footwear purchase. The design is very SA, and as far as I can tell, they are faithful reproductions of authentic Aldens.
Though my Gear budget does not allow me to spend the extra bucks on a pair of authentic Aldens, if I DID have such funds, there would be no question to get a pair of those, however since Todd's boots ARE SA, and priced very affordable, I don't see why any gearhead - who's on a tight budget - would need to spend the extra money to invest in a true pair of Aldens.
Now, if your hobby allows for extra saving and don't mind taking the time to wait, then Aldens are the best choice no question about it. For someone like me, my interest in the hobby of props and costumes includes other franchises other than Indiana Jones, so I have to make my purchases accordingly. If your ONLY costuming and prop collecting interest is Indiana Jones, then I would certainly see the desire to invest in the top-dollar items - I certainly would if I could.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

BaptisteTheFool wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
TheExit148 wrote:

Quoted for truth? :-k

I'll take some photos of it when I get back home tonight and draft an email. Thanks, folks. :)
Nope. Was going to make a statement and changed my mind.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

generalFROSTY wrote:No offense to those who shell out the big bucks for Aldens or even more money for the AB Aldens, but really - WHY spend more when Todd's boots are screen accurate AND extremely inexpensive?!
Pending how your photos look of your sanded boots, I may consider this for mine - but I do like wearing them and would like a non-worn pair as well.
Just missed your post update :TOH: But still want to share my experience with Todds boots and Aldens.

GF, I was in the same boat as you. And then I put on a pair of Aldens. Hands down, no comparison in fit and feel. The Aldens can't be beat (they are the original after all). I had to get a pair of them. I wear mine everyday since getting them (in July 2009) and they feel great. That was the big selling feature for me, was how well they fit, and felt. They made my back feel so much better too. I'm putting in my order as well for the AB Aldens (plus another pair of Alden boots; not Indy boots. These are my big purchases this year in clothing/gear [especially gear], thats all I want to spend my extra cash on. Maybe a Surrogates jacket but thats another story... :[ ). These boots are lifetime boots, so you get your money's worth out of them. Especially when wearing them all the time.

If you get the chance, try them on, you will feel and see it.

I'm by no means knocking Todd's boots, I have a pair as well, and wear them out hiking, yard type work, general kicking around, and they hold up great. You can't go wrong with Todd's boots if you can't afford Aldens. If Todd could offer an upgrade on the leather, that would just make them even better then they are.

And to add to your comment about other movie collecting etc. I do only collect Indy stuff (Raiders most of the time) so I can afford to save and wait to get that one purchase. I'm not purchasing any other movie related props or gear, so that does help immensely.