AB Henry exceeds 589 Euro hat at hat shop!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Marc
Vendor

AB Henry exceeds 589 Euro hat at hat shop!

Post by Marc »

Hey gang,

I visited a hat shop in Hamburg this week. I had an appointment with the manager who runs the shop and showed him the AB Henry, one that I had just grapped out of its box before leaving, so it was still open crown.

He examined it VERY closely, grapped one of their high dollar hats, compared, examined The Henry again and again and then he asked me, if that's a pure beaver?! I told him that no, this is a 20% beaver. He than went into the back of the shop to fetch the hat maker - an old timer who's been working in the trade for over 50 years by now. The Henry was then handed to the hatter, who lit up like a christmas tree: "you made this?" "that's a factory hat???" "NEW?!" "They don't make 'em like that any more, it's just like back then - when everything used to be better" LOL.

The manager then gave him the 589 Euro hat (that is round about 800 bucks Gentlemen) and the hatter said that he'd pick the Henry over the other any time! "Back in the 50's and 60's... that's when they made felt like that yet... we wouldn't have sold any of these (pointing at the 589 Euro hat) back then. People knew what they were buying. But this ones is nice! Can I have one in grey?"

We (the hatter and I) chit chatted for almost an hour. About Locke, HJ, Borsalino and all the big European names of yesteryear. He congratiolated me on having re-created what they used to make - 30-50 years ago - and I left the shop with a proudly swolen chest :D

Regards,

Marc
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: AB Henry exceeds 589 Euro hat at hat shop!

Post by VP »

So are you going to resell the Henrys to other shops or keep it a Marc & Stefan exclusive? Oh and what's the status on those seaplane grey Henrys. ;)
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

We'll soon be retailing The Henry at other hat shops, yes. And the interest thread on the seaplane grey Henry will probably start next week :)

Regards,

Marc
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

First: congratulations, Bro! Finally this is the kind of appreciation which makes all this effort worth, doesn't it?! And who could judge better than an "oldtimer" in this business? ;) Great story.

Seaplane grey, uh? Now that's a word! Seems, I have to find some internet access when in Denmark next week. ;)
We definitely need to chat soon again, Brother! Congratulations on the expanding business. ;)
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Wow Marc, this story just amazes me. I cannot believe though he picked the Henry over the 589 Euro Hat Wow :shock: I think that tells everyone on here on COW what a great deal the Henry is and I have seen some of the Henry's on here and they look great.

I think I will definately be getting a Henry from you in the near future. You always have a great quality hats and now great quality boots from Alden. Keep up the great work Marc and Stefan. :tup: :clap:

IndianaChris
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Grey?

Yes, please!

Dave
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Given the amount of time you've put into this, it comes as no surprise. :clap:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Very cool story Marc... did you show him one of your AB Deluxes? Of do you think that would have blown his mind? :whip:
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

I hate to say this but you're preachin' to the choir! LOL. Having spent hours in hat shops across the US, even Optimo in Chicago, i can tell you the Henry stacks up against some of the very best, even handmade. And for the price it simply can't be beat.

I can't compare it to an AB however as this is the only hat i've not been able to get my hands on. And to ask which is better; the Henry or a Borsalino, is like asking if the trash smells better than grandma's cookies! LOL

Now i need a grey, dark green and possibly white w/blue ribbon and im set. I've gotta get me a white one with blue ribbon, i just recenlty saw a pic of J. Edgar Hoover in '34 wearing a straight sided lid with a 2.5 inch brim and it was all of 5.5 tall and with a slightly larger 2 inch ribbon that was in blue and with white felt. Loved it.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Thanks guys :D

I actually didn't want to preach to the choir, but this experience was too good not to share :) Thanks for the extremely kind e-mail the other day Indy35!!! Stefan and I were really happy to read it!

I showed him my personal AB-Dlx. Raiders, that I've been draggin' around with me during the last two years. I was asked how much I'd charge for one and made him guess. He came up with 2-3000 Euro :shock: and I told him, how Steve and I had sworn never to rip of fellow fans ect. etc. etc. after which I was looked at in a mixture of pitifulness and misunderstanding. He said he could easily sell them for WAY more than what I charge but I refused. I simply don't want the AB-Dlx. to be sold from anyone else but me and lets face it: my leadtimes are bad enough as they are.

Regards,

Marc
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I've always loved white hats with blue ribbon. Very classy. I think if the Henry were offered in more colors and with different ribbon options you might sell even more. Hat shops would stock more of them. Just a thought.

Dave
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

That is a nice story definitely worth sharing, thanks for your efforts to recreate good quality hats in our day.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Well, being a proud owner of a Henry, I'm not at all surprised. It's a fantastic hat that is sooo soft, and comfy. I know that it is one hat I'll never get rid of!

-Corey
MurdocXXL
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MurdocXXL »

What a storry Marc............great storry, great hat ;) :clap:

The storry confirms my conviction that i will never regret to own a "Henry" and that
it was the right decission to go a step further ;)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Wow, congratulations on this great testimonial, Marc! I read this with great interest and I'm very happy for all you've achieved. Let us know if you have any more similar experiences. -M
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

As if I needed another reason to wear my Henry with pride. Thanks for sharing, Marc.

Scott.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Deleted by Ranger36