Coyle's "Outdoorsman's" Boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Coyle's "Outdoorsman's" Boots

Post by alphared6 »

Just thought I'd show you all my fixed boots:
Now just look at those bad boys. Those lace hooks are steel! I was gonna go with Kevlar, but that would be over kill, don't ya think?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

dude, that leather looks to have a warmer brown tone than the first wave of todd's boots. very, very nice :)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

alphared6 wrote:Just thought I'd show you all my fixed boots:
Now just look at those bad boys. Those lace hooks are steel! I was gonna go with Kevlar, but that would be over kill, don't ya think?

They look great, Alphared. :tup:

Glad you were able to get them fixed for next to nothing and you're able to now just enjoy them. :D :whip:
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

First off: Mike, that's a fantastic repair/replace job. Your cobbler is gold, hang on to him!

Second: Mike, have you treated your boots yet? The color definately looks warmer and browner to me than the untreated ones I have.

Third: Todd mentioned that the color varies in boots within each run. No problem. FWIW, here are comparison pics of the boots I got from each run. Again, neither has really been worn.

2nd run on left, 1st run on right. The 2nd run I have appears slightly lighter but warmer. You can see some of the leather grain in it as well, not so on the 1st run:

Heel comparison: 1st on left, 2nd run on right. 1st run is thicker (but less balanced when you wear it):

2nd run on left, 1st run on right. The darker color of the 1st run is best seen here on the sides, next to the lace holes:

These are the best pics I can get. The color difference is more apparent in person.

So, between the two pairs I got, I think the 2nd run is slightly lighter in color but warmer; you can see undertones and the leather grain. To me, the leather in the 1st run is acceptable; the leather in the 2nd run is much superior.

In another thought, if the soles and hooks are not up to the quality of the upper, I'd be willing to pay another $25-$40 bucks for this boot if Todd could get these upgraded in the next run. Thoughts?

RaiderZee
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

alphared6 wrote:Just thought I'd show you all my fixed boots:
just a little :D
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

On my monitor anyway, the color is spot on to the color of my boots.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Hey RaiderZee,

Great comparison photos. Are your 1st run boots marked size "9"?

Thanks,
Scott
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Nope, marked as 11s ;)

RZ
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

thanks for the comparrison photos Zee
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

RaiderZee wrote:Nope, marked as 11s ;)

RZ
Thanks. I normally wear a size 11 shoe and have a pair of 11s from the 1st run (marked 11), but they're still a little tight. I've been thinking about ordering a pair of 11s from this new run, but hate to get a pair that are too big. Your photos, and Todd's charts, are a big help.

Thanks,
Scott
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Scott63 wrote:
RaiderZee wrote:Nope, marked as 11s ;)

RZ
Thanks. I normally wear a size 11 shoe and have a pair of 11s from the 1st run (marked 11), but they're still a little tight. I've been thinking about ordering a pair of 11s from this new run, but hate to get a pair that are too big. Your photos, and Todd's charts, are a big help.

Thanks,
Scott
My first pair ordered were an 11, fit a little snug the first week but the leather strectched and they now fit nicely. When I recieved my 11's on Wednesday from the second batch the shoes were huge. Using Todd's new templates I requested the replacement pair be a size 9 and I should still have room in the toe area. I have a picture on page 4 of this thread of the old and new shoes.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Thanks Scot,

I see what you mean about the difference in size - especially the length. Since the only problem with my 1st run boots was the width, I'll probably drop down a size if I decide to order a pair from this 2nd batch.

I've had about the same experience with my first pair. I've worn them a lot, and haven't been easy on them. Over time they've stretched out to where they're comfortable when I wear them with a thin pair of socks, but I'd really like to get a pair that fit like my other shoes.

Scott
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I ordered a pair this morning. I am excited!!! I love all the General gear and the Holster I have from Todd's. Mr. Coyle, Thank you :notworthy:
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

in case anyone is worried, the boots really dont appear as 'red' in person as they seem to in most pics im seeing online...
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Agreed. They really look closest to the color in Mike's close-up of the hooks.

RZ
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Nice job RaiderZee, great comparisons. I was hoping for some 1st vs. 2nd run shots. The seond run appears shinier.

Randy
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

RaiderZee wrote: Heel comparison: 1st on left, 2nd run on right. 1st run is thicker (but less balanced when you wear it):
My heel from the 2nd run is exactly like the first run heel. The more thicker black on the bottom and the black through the middle.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Yes, the 2nd run I have are a bit shinier; I think this is just indicative of the better finish on the leather in this batch. Strange about the different heels within the first run though.

Anyway, I swapped emails with Cissy at Todd's; tomorrow I'm shipping both pair back. I'm returning the 2nd run 10s and swapping the 1st run 9s back for some 2nd run 9s. I'm paying the restock fee on the 10s, but they're waving the restock fee on the 9s, and will waive shipping. Todd's customer service is just outstanding.

RZ
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Yeah, I really like my first run pair. and they get almost daily wear.

Randy
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Scott63 wrote: I normally wear a size 11 shoe and have a pair of 11s from the 1st run (marked 11), but they're still a little tight. I've been thinking about ordering a pair of 11s from this new run, but hate to get a pair that are too big. Your photos, and Todd's charts, are a big help.

Thanks,
Scott

I've been contemplating a pair of these, and I normally wear a 12. But using those printable templates, it looks like I should order an 11! Makes a bit of sense, though, since my normal 12's usually have room for extra insoles. I might technically be an 11 1/2.

I know I'll never convince myself to spend on real Aldens, but these look mighty fine.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I still can't figure out how everyone is still having sizing "issues" when I ordered what I normally wear and the boots fit me just fine. :-k
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I used to worry over getting shoes a little too big. Now I worry that I won't be able to wear a good thick sock if it's cold outside. Measure BOTH feet with a Brannock device, pick the closest size, follow Todd's directions, and forget about it! (IMO, of course!)

New shoes shouldn't be tight. My experience is if you feel much pressure anywhere on your foot before you lace up a shoe, it's too small. I don't try stretching them out anymore: it's just abuse! If it's stiff, it will wear in. If it's tight, it doesn't fit.

These boots are roomy in the toe. So Todd says to order your whole size or the next lower whole size if you are in between, right? I wear 12's, ordered the 12 and it fits great--roomy in the toe--but great.

I don't know how the printable outlines compare to actual sizing, but I know I couldn't size down. The outline of my foot might 'fit' in the space of an 11, barely, but I couldn't stand the reduced size and 'volume' of a smaller shoe overall. Smaller shoes are smaller all over, not just the sole. I enjoy a little freedom of movement. My right foot actually measures 11 1/2, and this boot is still tight if I put in some Wolverine insoles, which are pretty thin. Again, just me.

An exception might be if all someone wore were ultra-thin dress sock with everything.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I love that rich brown color.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

{Doing his best Ricardo Montalbán impression}

"I love the boots...Rich Corinthian leather" :P
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I still can't figure out how everyone is still having sizing "issues" when I ordered what I normally wear and the boots fit me just fine. :-k
Whew, I'm not alone then!

Randy
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Illinois James wrote:I used to worry over getting shoes a little too big. Now I worry that I won't be able to wear a good thick sock if it's cold outside.
An exception might be if all someone wore were ultra-thin dress sock with everything.
You know, that's a good point. :-k I confess, also, I was wearing thin socks when I used the templates, but that's not what I normally wear. Methinks I shall rethink.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Yeah, I pretty much always wear thin dress socks unless I'm in sneakers, so that probably makes an appreciable difference in the fit of the boot. I've got big clodhopper boots I wear when it (rarely) gets pretty cold in SC.

I find that if I get slightly snug leather shoes they break in just perfectly, especially if I soak them and wear them to have them fit my feet. Your results may vary.

I think the whole size thing just comes down to what type of fit you prefer.

RZ
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

As a result of frost bite I wear heavy wool socks year round (Not that it makes any difference, it's the nerve damage makes my feet "feel" cold.) So these boots being a little big suits me just fine.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Yeah, everybody's different. I like my socks to fit like socks, but not my shoes to fit like socks! When my shoes break in and and I can see the the shoe take on the shape of my foot-I did something wrong.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I am happy that my new brace (thanks to that stunt accident in July) fits inside like a glove....er...I mean...sock. It's nice to have a boot again that I can wear --even with the brace --instead of my white new balance shoes I've had to put up with since getting out of the cast. The Coyles boots even seem to accommodate the brace a bit better than my Aldens....so I am a happy camper.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

Considering the cost of Alden's boots, the Coyle's, for just kicking around, might extend the life of the Alden's.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Kim Hoffman wrote:Considering the cost of Alden's boots, the Coyle's, for just kicking around, might extend the life of the Alden's.
that's why i bought mine.....i didn't have the heart to wear my 405's in the salty slush of a canadian winter........these todd's boots are perfect for that considering the price. they have shown true resiliance to the elements as well. very nicely built.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I also had the heel separate on my 12's, but with about twelve brad nails each from the cobbler, they're holding up great. These are going to lengthen the life of my Alden's big time. I wish he offered these in black. but, we're lucky as it is to get brown!
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

got mine two days ago. I hanged around in Rome all the day, today, and I discovered they seem not to be all-day wear shoes. maybe it's because I'm not used to this kind of boot, but the heavy and stiff sole made my feet hurt :| aw. I wonder how Indy could be goin' diggin' with those shoes
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Restless Dreamer wrote:got mine two days ago. I hanged around in Rome all the day, today, and I discovered they seem not to be all-day wear shoes. maybe it's because I'm not used to this kind of boot, but the heavy and stiff sole made my feet hurt :| aw. I wonder how Indy could be goin' diggin' with those shoes
Consider that in 1936 his boots would have been all leather construction, except for the heal which would have been a hard rubber. His boots would have be heavier but once broken in, more flexible.
I once walked all of Rome over a period of a week in GI combat boots (I was in the Army) and they felt just fine.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

My boots are "back in the shop." Last Friday the heal separated from the right boot and the entire sole separated from the left boot. What NASA would call a "catastrophic failure!" I instructed my cobbler to disassemble the boots and rebuild them.

Am I the only one having all these problems? ](*,)
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

So sorry to hear you're have such problems Alpha. Sometime's I think these
things happen to test us and stretch our capacity for patience.
While reading your post I was thinking that it might be an opportunity
to try what I'm looking to do with my Coyle's.

After having to re-order a new pair of the new batch, I'm going to
look at ruggedizing them. As Indy G was mentioning, our winters
are pretty long and nasty. So..I'm going to bring them into our
shoe shop here in Thunder Bay, to see about getting a vibram or
lug sole attached.

We're sadly still stuck at -29 C, with more snow on the way so...
I want to see what I can do to make these boots more practical.
It just might be worth considering as you've got your boots back in the
shop eh.

Hope all goes well
Cheers
Kilgour Trout
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

My boots are holing up admirably well. BUT, they were 1st run so... But I agree, sorry to hear the trouble you're having. I'm thankful it's not happening to me, as in the case of electronics, I seem to get the one in a million computer/dvd player/anything that has some weird glitchy problem.

Randy
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Kilgour Trout wrote: ...It just might be worth considering as you've got your boots back in the
shop eh.

Hope all goes well
Cheers
Kilgour Trout
Indeed, I am doing just that. My cobbler is going to dis-assemble the boots and rebuild them correctly.
When these soles and heels wear out I will replace them with leather soles, correctly McKay stitched, and solid rubber heels.

When done these will be Frankenstein boots, rebuilt of other parts, but I'll have good boots and still well under $400.00!

Mike
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Kilgour Trout wrote:
We're sadly still stuck at -29 C, with more snow on the way so...
I want to see what I can do to make these boots more practical.
It just might be worth considering as you've got your boots back in the
shop eh.

Hope all goes well
Cheers
Kilgour Trout

Gee - it was sunny in Vancouver today, and I even went without my jacket for a while :P
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Day before yesterday it was 90 F in SW Oklahoma. Today the high was 28 F w/ Wind Chill. But recall what Will Rogers said about Oklahoma weather: "If ya don't like, it wait around a while."
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Man is it ever cold here in Ontario. Plus there is some snow left over from the night before's dump. Boots have held up nicely so far in the snow and slush, but I must say, ZERO traction on snow and ice. Have to be careful in the snow with these boots.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Please, don't wear these things in any kind of slippery conditions. They're horrible for that. Horrible. By the way, I'm writing from a place that has gotten nearly 150 inches of snow so far this season - few can top that miserable number.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Raider S wrote:Please, don't wear these things in any kind of slippery conditions. They're horrible for that. Horrible.
I have had no problem wearing them on wet moss covered sidewalks. I used to wear western style boots so I know how to walk in those circimstances, and minimize hind end to concrete exposure. :lol:

For those of us who aren't nimble, or accident prone, I would say be careful!

Randy
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Resole them with something more safe. :-s
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

My replacement shoes, sz 9, from Todd's arrived today and they fit great compared to the the sz 11 from the second run. Unless I have any catastrophic QC issues, similar to alphared6; Was that a call sign/designation for you while you served in the military, SIR?, I should be good to go.

This pair has the same color as the sz 11's I returned but they do have a little more grain to the leather. I am too tired and stressed tonight to get pics up but I should have them by the weekend. I am happy with my new shoes.

Regards,

Scott
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

scot2525 wrote:alphared6; Was that a call sign/designation for you while you served in the military?,
Scott
Yes Scott. I had served 7 years as an EM before I was made an LT. My first assignment as an officer was as the Platoon Leader of 1st Plt, Alpha Troop. 3rd Sqd, 7th US Cav. Ergo: "Alpha" (the Troop or Company) "Red" (1st Plt, based on Red White and Blue. Three Platoons to a Troop) and the "6" is the Commander.

I retired a Major after 20 years service.

And yes ... I miss it.

"As you where!"

Mike :whip:
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

I'm doing just as Alpha has suggested. Leather or smooth soles are great for
dry weather but on ice or snow "these" can make for sudden unusual dances that
may cause ones legs to shoot out in 360 degree directions, out of character
"flailing of the arms" and a 50% drop in Male dignity! :shock: :lol: :lol: .

In addition..it make's it much harder to recover from middle age injuries
incurred having taken up Tae Kwon Doe at a rather less than flexible point in
life. :anxious: #-o .

So...as soon as these things arrive I'm going to shoot off to the cobbler and
see what he can do.

P.s. Still -20 C this morning!

Cheers
Kilgour Trout
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Well, I pulled the trigger. After throwing on my usual thicker athletic socks and doing a re-measure on the template, I ordered a size 12. I figure I'll fill up any extra room with an insole. I hope.

As for the slippery conditions thing; that's one reason I wouldn't spend more on Indy boots than Todd's price. My dress shoes have more grip! So, either they will be fair-weather shoes only, or I will be paying for a modification. Either way, that wouldn't fly at Alden's prices, orthepedic or no!

Here's hopin' for the best. [-o<
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I wouldn't worry about modifying the soles, just wear them in appropriate conditions.

As far as the size, you better need a big 12 or a very wide 12 or the 12's will be too big. Just an FYI, I usually wear a size 12 shoe (and a few times have gone with a 13 depending on the shoe) and Todd's 11's are plenty big on me.