New Jacka "J" 8' Whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New Jacka "J" 8' Whip

Post by thatguyno1 »

Terry sent me pics of my new whip. Yea - that's right I don't actually have it yet :( He is waiting for the shipping permit to arrive. Three things jumped out at me right away on the pic of the full whip. 1) the length of the thong after the handle before it starts to bend; 2) the length of the fall; and 3) the length of the cracker. :-k
It looks beautiful and I can't wait to get my hands on it to see how it performs. :whip: For those of you that have Jacka whips - does the stiffness in the thong eventually loosen up for coiling? The movie whips looked like they coiled normally on Indy's belt.

Paul ô¿ô
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

hmm
I find these pictures interesting because

viewtopic.php?t=34632

pictures are the same....... ????????
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Definitely the same pics. :? With Terry's known quality and consistency it probably won't make much difference but... the email indicated it was the whip he made for me. Apparently not. Kind of diminishes any pride of ownership based on those pics :oops:. Will post actual pics when it finally arrives.

The rest of the link answered my question about the stiffness of the thong.

Paul ô¿ô
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

i just got an email back from Terry
he said he photographs them when finished and since the all look alike, he must have sent you those by mistake, or mine by mistake .... either way.......
so we're not really sure WHOS whip that is in the pictures.... but no doubt yours will be very similar.
Mine is on the way so ill post pics when it arrives
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Shagbd wrote:i just got an email back from Terry
he said he photographs them when finished and since the all look alike, he must have sent you those by mistake, or mine by mistake .... either way.......
so we're not really sure WHOS whip that is in the pictures.... but no doubt yours will be very similar.
Mine is on the way so ill post pics when it arrives
OK - let's try this again. After your email Terry realized he sent me the wrong pics. Here are the pics he should have sent me - notice the tag on the wrist loop for identification. Just as I thought in my first post - your whip and mine are pretty close to being twins.

Paul ô¿ô
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

WOW!!!

Fraternal twins!!! awesome!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very Nice! :)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

very nice indeed!!

NIBS
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Well my 8' Jacka "J" finally arrived after delays with Australian shipping paperwork, Paypal investigations, and 5 days waiting in the local post office because I wasn't home on Monday to sign for it when it arrived.

Here are a few pics:

After getting it unpacked and giving it a good examination a I noticed a couple of things. First the cracker is a bit longer than most and has three knots in it. The first knot from the end of the cracker appears to simply prevent the end from unraveling too far. Not sure what the other two are for but the last one before the fall has a loop in it. All the spare crackers have the same knots in them. The cracker itself is what appears to be a fairly heavy gauge waxed nylon which is tied to the fall with a double loop

Then there is the fall. It is quite long and appears to be fairly heavy cow hide but the thing I noticed different from other falls is it appears that Terry has cut a small notch right at the end. It appears to be there to help prevent the cracker from sliding off the end of the fall. All the spare falls he sent have the crackers attached with the same notch cut in them.

Finally I thought you might like to see a comparison pic of the handles of my three CS whips. Delcarpio's 10' is on the top, Strain's 10' in the middle and Jacka's 8' on the bottom.

I did give the whip a couple of cracks right out of the box and it performed beautifully. I was next to the front driveway in the grass and it was a cool evening here in Houston right about dusk and the whip sounded like gunshots echoing down the street so I didn't continue very long. When it gets warmer I will give it a good workout in the back yard. :whip: Terry also includes a nice certificate describing his "J" series whips and they are numbered and signed (mine is #3).

Also I enjoyed reading the Australian newspapers he used to pack the whip. There just happened to be a review (from May 2008) of the CS movie. I may post it some time when I get time to scan it. The personnal ads were quite entertaining as well. :shock:

Thanks Terry - I love the whip!!! \:D/

Paul ô¿ô
Last edited by thatguyno1 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

actually thats the FALL
the "thong" is the braided part of the whip minus the handle.
i didnt notice if mine had the notches or not.....

congrats on getting it, i know they are a PAIN to wait on!
glad your wait is over!
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Oops - your right about the Fall - I was in such a hurry because we are going out to the company Christmas party and had a lot of things to do today I didn't notice that one. Thanks for catching that although I'm sure plenty of others thought the same thing. :oops:

Paul ô¿ô
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

It looks nice - gratz on the whip!!
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Great whip Paul ! This is just a guess, but maybe the knots in the cracker are there so when the end wears down, you just snipe off the next knot and keep cracking, with no need to change the cracker.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Nice whips! That Jacka is huge even next to Del Carpios! I have the Del Carpio as well, I did have the Strain at one time too. The Jacka is a behemoth!

Where in Houston are you? It's where I live, maybe a whip meet up somewhere?

TR
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Cracker wrote:Great whip Paul ! This is just a guess, but maybe the knots in the cracker are there so when the end wears down, you just snipe off the next knot and keep cracking, with no need to change the cracker.
I think you may be right on that one because it is a rather long cracker. I just don't know why the loop on the last knot. The only thing I could think of was he probably makes crackers in batches rather than one at a time as he makes whips so he just slipped a loop in the first knot to use to hang the crackers on a peg or a nail somewhere handy. OR, if I remember correctly one of the whip makers (and it might have been Terry) recommended storing the whips by hanging them uncoiled so maybe it would be there to easily attach the cracker end to a peg or nail rather than wrap or knot the fall around something. I'm probably overthinking this one and maybe Terry will jump in here and let us know.

Paul ô¿ô
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Texas Raider wrote:Nice whips! That Jacka is huge even next to Del Carpios! I have the Del Carpio as well, I did have the Strain at one time too. The Jacka is a behemoth!

Where in Houston are you? It's where I live, maybe a whip meet up somewhere?

TR
I live on the North side on Rayford Rd just south of The Woodlands. I work downtown and catch a park and ride bus to work every day. Would love to get together and exchange notes on whip cracking. I'm pretty much self taught from watching all the videos here and especially Bernie's video on his website. As a result I'm sure I've picked up some form flaws on my own along the way and I am also working on putting together combinations. Let me know where you are and maybe we can meet up.

Paul ô¿ô
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Congratulations Paul. Glad it finally arrived to you safe and sound. It looks great too! I like the comparison photo, it really shows the difference in the more widely available versions of this whip.

Cracker is right about the poppers, Those polypro poppers Terry makes wear down quick, so you just snip them down at the knot as you go.

Have fun!

Dan
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

That is an OUTSTANDING whip!!! :notworthy:
ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ST »

Is it just me (maybe I've been staring at a computer to long) or does the cracker seem to taper? :?
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

ST wrote:Is it just me (maybe I've been staring at a computer to long) or does the cracker seem to taper? :?
Good observation! Here is a response I got from Terry on the knots and the cracker:

"Hi Paul,

You were right with the knots on the cracker. There are there so the end doesn't become a big ball of fluff.
The cracker twine I use is not ideal for the larger bullwhips like the Indy 4 whips, it should be slightly thicker but still a similar length.

The taper should be carried out past the fall by the cracker so the energy flows without hindrance through the end of the fall and out the end of the cracker.

Ideally the cracker should start out the same thickness as the end of the fall and continue the taper of the fall.
A short thick cracker is not the best way to go because sometimes the energy transmitted by the whip exits from the end of the fall and misses the cracker altogether and so little bits of fall disappears.

I like the longer cracker because it's heavier and follows through with the energy from the fall and the length saves the life of the fall a little more.

I would advise you keep your crackers long rather than short.
I hope this is not confusing.

The loop is only there because I doubled the cracker over to make it thicker at the top. It doesn't mean anything.

All the best..................
Terry "

As you can see he doubles over the cracker near the fall so it is thicker and closer to the thickness of the fall for a smoother transition from the fall through to the end of the cracker.

Interesting :-k
MacGyver
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

other new Jacka whips?

Post by MacGyver »

Anyone else receive a new Jacka whip directly from him over the last month or so? Waiting on mine, just wondering if he's shipped any more...

Mac
weaponx24
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by weaponx24 »

does he give a COW member discount? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere...Id like to get the 10 footer but Im not sure how much the price breaks down to... :-k
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Yes he does. There is a $50 discount for COW members so the price of the 10ft for us is $ 800 Aust. The US price depends on the curency conversion that day but lately they had been floating around the $550 to $600 range.

Dan
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: other new Jacka whips?

Post by Nebraska Brad »

MacGyver wrote:Anyone else receive a new Jacka whip directly from him over the last month or so? Waiting on mine, just wondering if he's shipped any more...

Mac
My 10' shipped on December 4th and I have yet to see it. I am getting worried but Terry advised to wait a bit as the holiday season slows the process a bit . If I have not seen it by x-mas I will start an inquiry.

-Nebraska
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Merry Christmas to me!!

My 10' Jacka arrived yesterday so it took 19 days. I will post some pics when I get a chance. It is pretty darned cool but I will have quite a wait before I can get a crack in what with all this lovely Nebraska weather we are having. :whip:

-Nebraska
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thats great news Brad, Congratulation.

afer reading your first message, I was starting to wonder what the hold up was, glad it arrived safe and sound. I am Looking forward to seeing those photos, Hopefully you can get them up before the site closes for the Holidays, if not e-mail them to me :)

All the best

Dan