Extreme Marksman (Jan 25 at 8PM EST)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

BullWhipBorton

Extreme Marksman (Jan 25 at 8PM EST)

Post by BullWhipBorton »

This past Wednesday, the Television program “Extreme Marksman” produced for the History Channel finished filming an episode of featuring the accuracy of the bullwhip. Anthony De Longis helped them put the bullwhip through numerous accuracy challenges including target cutting from horseback and cutting moving objects. The show also filmed footage at David Morgan a few weeks ago too. Its scheduled to air some in early 2009, so more to come on this.

Dan
Last edited by BullWhipBorton on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT

dang, thats A LONG time in production to air in 09?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Just a few months, not really that long for a program like this. They are also doing segments though for the show on knife throwing and archery, etc. :)
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

wow sounds RIGHT up my alley!

this is a cant miss show!
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Outsanding! Thank you for this information!
SHoWhips
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SHoWhips »

I never heard of this show but I'll be tuned in for sure. Very interested to see the results. Can we assume the whip(s) used are of the Jacka variety??
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

Hey, count me in...
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Thanks for keeping us updated on this Dan.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

No problem, I’ll post more on the program as I am able too.
Can we assume the whip(s) used are of the Jacka variety??
SHo, Yes, he was using Terry’s bullwhips; mostly ones with the Thirteen and a half inch handles. There was defiantly some very innovative target work being done too, it should be a good show.

Dan
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I saw some photos from the filming of Extreme Marksmen with Anthony; looks like the segment should be really interesting. I'm hope I'm at home when it airs so I can watch it!

-Adam
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Yep so have I , in fact here they are! :o

http://web.me.com/johnleonetti/cracktice/092408.html

http://web.me.com/johnleonetti/cracktice/092008.html

:whip:

The nice thing about the history channel programs too is you can usually order a copy of them on DVD right after they air.

Dan
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

The teaser trailer is now up on Youtube.

More Extreme Marksmen
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

The history channel always manages to strike up the most interesting topic and make them into fascinating shows.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

THAT is going to FRAKIN' ROCK!

Nice to see the History Channel is FINALLY covering things other than Hitler!

:whip:

-D
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Hated the music and the guns and whip sounded terrible. I'm guessing it was because it's only a teaser, but I can't wait to see more nonetheless.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Don't forget to check out Lion Tamer's behind-the-scenes photos of Anthony De Longis's clips.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

WhipDude wrote:Hated the music and the guns and whip sounded terrible. I'm guessing it was because it's only a teaser, but I can't wait to see more nonetheless.
Well, that's to be expected...For trailer music, they're going to pull in some innocuous stuff from a production library that they paid VERY little money for, (for obvious reasons.)

And sound. Probably sound directly off of the camera's built in microphone, and not from the guy running around with the shotgun mic on the boom pole going into, (what is PROBABLY, I can't tell exactly,) a DAT recorder you can see in some of the behind-the-scene's pics.

Plus, raw audio from ANY whip or gun tends to sound like @#$%. Truth is, most audio equipment isn't designed to pick up all of the subtle frequencies that come out of a gun and a whip. Microphones are designed to emulate the human ear's frequency response, but if you're AROUND a gun or a whip when it goes off, you're hearing it with more than just your ears. The vibration in deep tissues in our chest and sinuses, allowing us to FEEL the crack or the gunshot is pretty amazing. Those sounds are manufactured or approximated for most stuff, (the Indiana Jones bullwhip sound was recorded in an alley behind the studio in London. LOTS of reverb from sound bouncing back and forth between the buildings, and THAT was amped up and layered by by Ben Burtt A LOT!) They're out on a VERY flat area at Rancho Indalo, and there's VERY few surfaces to reflect sound back.

I have no doubt they'll pump it up a lot before it ever gets to air. REALLY looking forward to it!

-D
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Lion Tamer wrote:The teaser trailer is now up on Youtube.

More Extreme Marksmen
Cool teaser!!! I can't imagine target-cutting a wine glass is good for leather. :shock: I'm not gonna try that with any of my whips!

Thanks for bringing this show to our attention, Dan!! Please keep us updated if you hear of the exact airdate.

Kind regards,
Craig
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

That's just it. The part of the whip that's cutting the wine glass is the VERY rugged and VERY replaceable fall, and at that point it's moving so quickly that by the time the glass really splinters, the whip has already gone by.

Plus, look at the dust and dirt that Anthony uses his whips in. Look at what they're put through in the films he's in, or that he trains folks who appear in.

He beats the TAR out of 'em!

Seriously, look at that Morgan he talks about training Harrison with in the French TV video on YouTube. It has been put through the WRINGER! It looks like an antique that the REAL Indiana Jones might have carried, and I'll bet you it's not more than 10-15 years old, if that.

His whips are his tools, and he uses them. A LOT.

He doesn't baby them.

What most of us would call abuse is a "Day at the office" for him.

But that's just it. What Anthony does with his whips is no where near the constant abuse that actual cattlemen put their whips through.

And guess what, they still flow pretty, target accurately, and work great.

It's what they were designed for. The conditions they were designed for, and the use they were designed for.

Yeah, he might not be able to hand them down to grandkids or great grandkids, but they're holding up to what he puts them through, and they'll last HIS lifetime.

And if they don't, SO WHAT? You make the kind of money that he makes USING them for performances, exhibitions, stuntman and actor training, etc. etc. etc, and you go out and buy new ones.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Just as I suspected Fish, as far as the music and mic goes. However, I did learn something new from you. I didn't know about the entire chest and sinuses. Very cool. Explains why it's difficult to get the sound correct. Thanks for sharing.
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

FYI I just added another gallery of behind the scenes photos from "More Extreme Marksmen," featuring knife thrower Jack Dagger and his lovely assistant Tonya. Not whip related, but I thought some of you would enjoy the knife action.

Whip Cracking Galleries

John
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Great Photos John, you do have a way with the camera.

Just as an FYI “Jack Dagger” the King of Fling is one of the top knife throwers in the world, and in one of those pictures he is actually slicing a grape clean in two, while in mid air! He isn't too bad with a whip either and some of you also might recognized his lovely assistant Tonya as the Whip Cracking Superhero “Creature” from the first season of the Sci-Fi Channels Who wants to be a Superhero. She’s not to shabby cracking whips herself.

Dan
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I've cracked whips with Jack and he isn't half bad ;-) I've also thrown Boliadoras with him at Rancho Indalo. This has been posted before, but you can check out a video of us on YouTube: Demonstrating Boliadoras. Anthony throws first, Jack second, Jason third, and I'm forth. After that Anthony pulls a set of Boliadoras out of Jason's hand with a whip.

Oh, another note on Jack, he "hand doubled" for Adam Sandler in "Don't Mess with the Zohan". He did the six-gun style twirling.

Michael
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Yeah he hangs out alot at Rancho Indalo alot with John and a couple other friends of ours. In addition to his work in "Don't Mess with the Zohan" He will also be appearing in an upcomming episode of the TV show "Bones" as well as, as a Circus Fire Breather in an upcoming Britney Spears video :shock: the lucky son of a gun! :lol: Tonya was also one of the leads in Trace Adkins "I Got My Game On" Video for you country fans.

Dan
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

The airdate for Extreme Marksman on the History Channel has been announced, its set to air on Jan 25 at 8PM, Anthony will have last two acts to show off what can be done with the whip on the ground and on horseback. Don’t miss this one!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Frickin' AWESOME

Nibs
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

Here's the History Channel's page for the show: More Extreme Marksmen.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

As well as watching it, I really hope someone will torrent this for download
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Can't wait to see this one. After seeing Adam on 'Time Warp' this is proving more & more interesting. Like I've stated elsewhere, I'm new to the bullwhip, but think that I have found a new portion to the hobby & interest. Takes it to a whole new level.
Hopefully they have a decent segment on the bullwhip. I guess we shall see. :)

Cheers!

Dan
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Woah...was that Anthony on iCarly? (It was)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

You gotta love Comcast, they took away the History Channel in my area about a month ago, so if i want to watch it, i have to "upgrade" to their digital package. :x
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:You gotta love Comcast, they took away the History Channel in my area about a month ago, so if i want to watch it, i have to "upgrade" to their digital package. :x
Typical. :(

Cheers!

Dan
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

DVR set! :whip: :notworthy:

Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Shane
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

McFly wrote:DVR set! :whip: :notworthy:

Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Shane
You bet it is. :)

Cheers!

Dan
Lion Tamer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lion Tamer »

I just saw the David Morgan blog has been updated with some info and photos from the shoot:

Extreme Marksman to feature David Morgan on Jan 25th
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Aw man, this is awful, I will miss both episodes. AIIIIIGHHHH!!!! :x

I hope the site at least sells them on DVD down the road.

Allen
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

It's funny you mention the David Morgan blog (http://www.davidmorgan.biz), I just discovered it this afternoon.

xoxo

Louie
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Thanks for the heads-up Lion Tamer. This should prove quite interesting.

Cheers!

Dan
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The show was great. Nice to see Dave Morgan get a nod and a small nod to Indy as well. Anthony, as well as the rest of the guys featured on the show were absolutely amazing to say the least. I love this show!
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

i have to agree with agent 5
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Most impressive indeed. My three favorites were the whip, the archery (splitting water, wow! :shock: ), and the knife throwing with Todd Abrams. Tonya is very trusting in his skills for sure. Really enjoyed the quick draw portion with the robo-arm. Man that is some fast action at .24 of a second.
Anthony is very impressive with his accuracy & his somewhat unique approach to the crack. :whip:

Cheers!

Dan
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I really enjoyed the show too. The fast draw was fast, but I've seen faster. Live and in person. Bob Munden, about half again as fast the shooter featured here. But impressive none the less. And of course Anthony is just awesome...
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

dmmm missed it!

when will it reair?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Aha!! Awesome work. I didn't have time to see everybody, but I saved it so I can watch again later. Meanwhile, Anthony's stuff was inspiring! I think I'll work on some candle snuffing... :-k :whip: :whip:

My favorite shots were cutting the wine glass, cutting the flower, and cutting the 3 stationary foam cylinders. It was cool to see him reloading the whip so quickly while riding Latigo at full speed. :clap:

Shane
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

McFly wrote:My favorite shots were cutting the wine glass, cutting the flower, and cutting the 3 stationary foam cylinders. It was cool to see him reloading the whip so quickly while riding Latigo at full speed. :clap:

Shane
So Shane, I take it he introduced you to the horse at the ranch? Pretty cool!

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

On another note, what makers whips was Anthony using? They look super flexible and well used indeed. Basically very flexible extension of his mind & eye.

Cheers!

Dan
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Man, what a great show! What was that glob of blue stuff on the candle wick? I know it must be there to keep the flame from going out in the wind, but what is it?

I didn't know David Morgan made any whips for Indy IV. First I heard of it.

The show was a real treat for me since I make and shoot longbows, and crack whips. Very nice to see masters showcasing these skills together.

Weston
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

David and Joel both provided whips to the production. There is some great info on Indygear proper.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Daniel Jones -

Looked like Jackas to me... I know he's got a lot of those, and they looked like the ones I saw yesterday.
hollywood1340 wrote:David and Joel both provided whips to the production.
You mean Joe (Strain)? And also Terry...?

Shane
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Sorry, yes. Oh, just go to the whip section of IG and it's all there LOL