Why an AB??

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I just find it frustrating that he asks us a question and then argues with us at every turn. But you stated it far better than I did DR Ulloa. I think that basically sums it up. :junior: -M
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It is frustrating. Kind of like when a child asks "why should I not touch the stove when it is hot?" and you tell him repeatedly "because you'll burn yourself" and he still insists "well, what if you just turned it on, or what if you turned it off five minutes ago?" and then touches it anyway. I don't get it :? .

Dave
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I almost get the feeling that he asked because he wanted someone to say "Don't go for an AB, a Fed is better." :roll: :junior: -M

Ps. This is the only context in which I could ever imagine saying the aforementioned quote.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Honestly, I think it's healthy that he dig and doubt. I mean, darth is clearly doing his homework, and I think what he's seeing is evidence that there is no notable difference between something like a Akubra and an AB, except that we keep saying "But AB is better." I think the problem is, it's hard to communicate the real difference without a frame of reference, but I don't blame him for continually poking. He's looking for a substantive, concrete answer to "why an AB?" I'll admit, I didn't get the whole "custom hat advantage" until I actually held one in my hands. It took a long time to convince me, to get me to that point.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Perhaps you're right, Chewie...maybe it's just difficult for us because we're having trouble communicating the ways in which it's better. :junior: -M
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

DR Ulloa wrote:I've been looking into Art's hats. His prices are very good for custom beaver hats. I may commision something odd from Art in the near future.

Dave
I promise, you will not regret doing so. I also promise, one will never be enough! :lol:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Well, my honest answer, for what it's worth, is that the new Feds I've seen so far have not impressed me that much; some look good, while others don't (by "good," I mean Indy-ish, of course). Some of the crowns look rather fat or squat. I don't know how much of that is an effect of camera angles and styling skills, however.

On the other hand, most AB's I've seen, including my own, look fantastic. The color is great, second only to HJ in my opinion, and they are as indy-ish as any hats get. Plus you get the high quality construction that everyone raves about, and the custom service.

But everyone is different. If you honestly feel after doing your own research that the Feds are better than AB's, then the Fed IS the best hat-- for you.

Jack
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Hey, I love the Fed IV, but you'd have to be fooling yourself to think it could possibly be better than then the AB, unless by better you mean cheaper. First off, the Fed is by far the roughest hat I've ever owned. It admittedly has nothing on my vintage hats. First off the liner is glued in and the ribbon work is unremarkable, and the sweatband is sewn in with a machine. Seemingly minor things, but to do it by hand takes craftsmanship, and the results are usually superior. Not to mention, rabbit/hare is not on the same level as beaver which is more fine and dense. Asking why you'd buy a custom hat over a factory made one is like asking why you'd buy a burger made with kobe beef instead of a McDonald's burger.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Marcus Brody wrote:Hey, I love the Fed IV, but you'd have to be fooling yourself to think it could possibly be better than then the AB, unless by better you mean cheaper. First off, the Fed is by far the roughest hat I've ever owned. It admittedly has nothing on my vintage hats. First off the liner is glued in and the ribbon work is unremarkable, and the sweatband is sewn in with a machine. Seemingly minor things, but to do it by hand takes craftsmanship, and the results are usually superior. Not to mention, rabbit/hare is not on the same level as beaver which is more fine and dense. Asking why you'd buy a custom hat over a factory made one is like asking why you'd buy a burger made with kobe beef instead of a McDonald's burger.
Very well put but i think it's falling on deaf ears.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

In darthbish's defense, I don't think everyone's being quite so fair. I'll admit, that even though I've never owned an adventurebilt, I believe it's superior to a fed. However, it seems to me that Darthbish is a proud federation owner, and is so impressed by the fed that he finds the idea of anything being much better than it hard to believe. Thusly, he asked us to explain how/why an adventurebilt is superior and convince him of it, and probably didn't realize how hard that would be without him seeing one. And for those who may not realize it " :P " is a face with a tounge sticking out (looks more like a smile than a tongue to my eyes), implying that he was kidding when he said feds are better than adventurebilts. And finally, I can honestly say that when I first got my old fed deluxe a few years ago, the idea of something like an adventurebilt being THAT much better than it would've been absurd to me.

-KB :)
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Here's another option you might want to explore; forget the Feds AND the AB's, and go with one of the fine offerings from our new vendor, the Susquehanna Hat Company:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSp0sMHVEpQ

You'll find them conveniently located over on Bagel Street. If you lose your way, just ask Lou Costello for directions. :wink:

But seriously, it's perfectly OK to avoid the more crowded streets and follow your own path, if you honestly feel that's the right direction to take.

Jack
Last edited by eazybox on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was trying to make a decision on which hat to get, but rather just wondering why everyone was going crazy over the adventurbilts when Akubra's are such great hats.

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Kentucky Blues wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was trying to make a decision on which hat to get, but rather just wondering why everyone was going crazy over the adventurbilts when Akubra's are such great hats.

I think your right. What is a little puzzling is that when someone ask you to explain something then tell you that you are wrong. that is where the problem lies. You can't ask someone for their opinion then tell them that their opinion is wrong.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Kentucky Blues wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't think that he was trying to make a decision on which hat to get, but rather just wondering why everyone was going crazy over the adventurbilts when Akubra's are such great hats.

Guesswhat KB??....
You're not wrong.....In fact "thank you, thank you, thank YOU for actually "getting" what I'm on about...(oh, and thank you for noticing my little "tongue poking out" bit of humour...a fact that seemed to be oblivious to quite a few)

I honestly don't get it...
I sit at my desk, gazing at the thing of beauty that is my Fed IV, and wonder how anyone could make a finer hat, or want anything more....and yet, in asking this question, I've been likened to a child, and "apparently" I've told people that they were "wrong"(??)

Let me put it this way..
This Akubra...This gorgeous piece of Aussie workman...(errr, sorry...workpersonship)..was created by a manufacturer that's been in the business, and owned by the same family, for over 100 years....and it cost me a little over 100 bucks.
It got to me in a little over 4 days, and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that it's the finest looking hat I've ever seen, let alone owned and worn.

Now I look at an AB.
Up to a year's wait....annnnnnnd 400+ bucks...
and really, the main reason I've been given is as to why it's better equates to not much more than "it just is"

or..to put it in terms that may be easier for some to understand..."Hmmm, I'm really hungry...Should I nip down to the local shop and get myself a finnnnnnne Aussie beefburger??....
Orrrrrrr should I put that order in for the 400 dollar burger that takes a year to grill??
"
:P (there's that tongue again)

I'll more than likely be crucified for saying this but..honestly, I look at the photos that someone's put in this thread of an AB and I think it almost looks like a characteture of an Indy hat.
The brim looks too wide, and the "bumps" on the top of the crown look wayyyyy too high...

I think I could be forgiven for thinking..."Wha' the???"

But, hey..What do I know??
Last edited by darthbish on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think I could be forgive for thinking..."Wha' the???"
Forgiven, yes. But given the fact that all of the people who've owned both think the AB is the superior hat, and say "you really have to hold one in order to know," I think you'd be better off just taking their word for it. :junior: -M
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Yes, I understood that he already had the Fed. I was just trying to inject a little fun into a thread that was basically going nowhere. :wink:

Darth, enjoy your Fed-- in the end, that's all that's really necessary.

Jack
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I've been likened to a child, and "apparently" I've told people that they were "wrong"
You haven't said that explicitly but you've certainly implied it. What I've noticed is that response have been met with seemingly antagonistic skepticism. Skepticism is one thing, but you seem to have something against Adventurebilt in general. This seemed to be clear from the first post, by implying that people only buy AB's because they made the hats for KotCS. That's just plain wrong and insulting to AB and the people who have AB's. The plain fact is that people were and still are raving about AB's because they make great hats.
the main reason I've been given is as to why it's better equates to not much more than "it just is"
I suppose you ignored several other posts including my own then. The reasons are there, we shouldn't have to repeat ourselves. The fact that you seem to continually insist that nobody has given a real reason only makes your intentions which this post seem questionable. I only chimed in with my previous because I gave the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you didn't read the reasons or because you feel that everybody here are AB owning fanboys. However since you believe I did not give a reason, I'm not sure what to think about that especially since I do not own an AB.
It got to me in a little over 4 days, and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that it's the finest looking hat I've ever seen, let alone owned and worn.
How many fedoras have you owned anyways? If you've only owned the Fed 4 that would explain, but it would not explain why you seem to discount the knowledge of people who generously gave their time to answer your questions.
I'll more than likely be crucified for saying this but..honestly, I look at the photos that someone's put in this thread of an AB and I think it almost looks like a characteture of an Indy hat.
That's an interesting use of words there. "Caricature" seems to be the choice word of detriment to the AB. The choice of word is unmistakeably an eyebrow raiser, since you've now moved from discussing quality of workmanship to theories about the AB's aesthetics. However this is especially ironic especially when you consider these quotes from the Hatsdirect site:
Hatsdirect and Akubra Hats, together set about creating a new hat, selecting an older hat block set from that era. Advice from Mark Cross (Indygear.com) and Steve Delk (the hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones movie, Adventurebuilt) have assisted with advice and specifications for the new hat.
in fact the unshaped block shape is almost identical to the hat blocks used by Adventurebilt hats, the makers of the hats in the new Indiana Jones movie.
I think somebody owes an apology to Adventurebilt.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Marcus Brody wrote:
I've been likened to a child, and "apparently" I've told people that they were "wrong"
You haven't said that explicitly but you've certainly implied it. What I've noticed is that response have been met with seemingly antagonistic skepticism. Skepticism is one thing, but you seem to have something against Adventurebilt in general. This seemed to be clear from the first post, by implying that people only buy AB's because they made the hats for KotCS. That's just plain wrong and insulting to AB and the people who have AB's. The plain fact is that people were and still are raving about AB's because they make great hats.
the main reason I've been given is as to why it's better equates to not much more than "it just is"
I suppose you ignored several other posts including my own then. The reasons are there, we shouldn't have to repeat ourselves. The fact that you seem to continually insist that nobody has given a real reason only makes your intentions which this post seem questionable. I only chimed in with my previous because I gave the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you didn't read the reasons or because you feel that everybody here are AB owning fanboys. However since you believe I did not give a reason, I'm not sure what to think about that especially since I do not own an AB.
How many fedoras have you owned anyways? If you've only owned the Fed 4 that would explain, but it would not explain why you seem to discount the knowledge of people who generously gave their time to answer your questions.
That's an interesting use of words there. "Caricature" seems to be the choice word of detriment to the AB. The choice of word is unmistakeably an eyebrow raiser, since you've now moved from discussing quality of workmanship to theories about the AB's aesthetics. However this is especially ironic especially when you consider these quotes from the Hatsdirect site:
Hatsdirect and Akubra Hats, together set about creating a new hat, selecting an older hat block set from that era. Advice from Mark Cross (Indygear.com) and Steve Delk (the hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones movie, Adventurebuilt) have assisted with advice and specifications for the new hat.
in fact the unshaped block shape is almost identical to the hat blocks used by Adventurebilt hats, the makers of the hats in the new Indiana Jones movie.
I think somebody owes an apology to Adventurebilt.
"Very well put, but I think it's falling on deaf ears." --Bending Oak, 8-17-08
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Okay, guys. Cool it. I don't want to have to start my Monday by locking down threads because folks can't be civil and polite to one another. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you can't share and respect them in a reasonable manner, then there is no further point to this thread. This is your only warning.
Jones Boy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jones Boy »

eazybox wrote:One of the things that amazes me about the AB's is how easy they are to shape or tweak; you don't need water or steam at all, just a little pressure, and the shape will hold unless or until you change your mind again. None of the rabbit hats I've owned were that "agreeable."

Jack
I hear where you are coming from eazybox, although my Fed Dlx is by far the easiest hat I have ever bashed - have used steam on many other hats - but have not had to use anything but a dry bash for my Fed Dlx.

Cheers
Jonesy
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

That is great to hear, Jonesy, and I'm glad you seem to be as happy with your Fed as I am with my AB. The Christys Adventurer is also surprisingly easy to shape for a rabbit felt hat. I don't think either it or the Fed is in the same class as an AB, though, and I agree with those who say that you really have to see and handle an AB to appreciate the quality.

Bink, I think the problem with this thread is that there was already no further point to it some time ago. :wink: It's really a waste of everyone's time arguing with someone whose mind was already made up before the question was asked. That's what was happening in this thread, and that's why it's just going around in circles and slowly deteriorating into a name-calling contest.

Jack