Wested Pocket Sizes Changing?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Pocket Sizes Changing?

Post by Bardoon »

Just got in my Custom RAIDERS Standard (Goatskin) from Wested. Beautiful jacket and it's perfect with everything I asked...excepppptttt.....

The pockets are like a quarter-to-half the size they're supposed to be. I've noticed a few other people mention this in other threads. They almost look like PLATON's pockets...but I didn't ASK for PLATON's pockets.

I have a RAIDERS "Special Offer" jacket that I can compare the pockets to and it is an OBVIOUS difference in size.

I would take a photo if my camera was availible, but it was borrowed by my brother for a vacation he was taking.

Anyone else got this problem or know what I'm talking about?

I'm going to contact Wested and send it back to get fixed. *sigh* :(
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

if you got PLATON pockets on your jacket then I cant see why you think that would be a problem.

I would love those pockets on my jacket.

sorry my friend..dont see a problem here....

bests
Holt
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

My Jacket is being made as we speak - so what is the proper pocket size I should ask for then?

- AJ
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the pockets should be at 6.5''x 7''

Holt
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Indiana Holt wrote:the pockets should be at 6.5''x 7''

Holt
Of course, depending on how tall and how 'wide' you are!

If you are size 38 to about 42 reg than those pockets will work. If you are very tall and wear bigger than that, the pockets need to sized up in proportion.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

off course.

thanx
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

The pockets on my new Wested custom standard (40R) are 6" wide by 6.5" long.

The pockers on my Special Offer Wested (40R) are 6.5" wide by 8" long.

I understand you may like the PLATON pocket style, Holt, but I somewhat prefer the larger pockets. I can even see the small holes on my jacket where they removed the larger pockets. I even asked for the Jacket Pockets to be the same as the "Special offer" size (which may have very well changed...my Special offer was ordered and received around April 2008).

Maybe you can fill me in a little bit but wasn't PLATON's pockets more of a personal design spec. and not a screen-accurate one? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The pockets make the jacket look more "Temple of Doom" than "Raiders" and Raiders was what I wanted. Wested nailed all my other specs on this jacket perfectly and it's beautiful.
Last edited by Bardoon on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Bardoon wrote:The pockets on my new Wested custom standard (40R) are 6" wide by 6.5" long.

The pockers on my Special Offer Wested (40R) are 6.5" wide by 8.5" long.

I understand you may like the PLATON pocket style, Holt, but I somewhat prefer the larger pockets. I can even see the small holes on my jacket where they removed the larger pockets. I even asked for the Jacket Pockets to be the same as the "Special offer" size (which may have very well changed...my Special offer was ordered and received around April 2008).

Maybe you can fill me in a little bit but wasn't PLATON's pockets more of a personal design spec. and not a screen-accurate one? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The pockets make the jacket look more "Temple of Doom" than "Raiders" and Raiders was what I wanted. Wested nailed all my other specs on this jacket perfectly and it's beautiful.
I wish my pockets were that size. I hate the larger size (which is not accurate). Platon's pockets are pretty close to what we see on screen. Liek the pockets of a Todd jacket.
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

CM wrote:
Bardoon wrote:The pockets on my new Wested custom standard (40R) are 6" wide by 6.5" long.

The pockers on my Special Offer Wested (40R) are 6.5" wide by 8.5" long.

I wish my pockets were that size. I hate the larger size (which is not accurate). Platon's pockets are pretty close to what we see on screen. Liek the pockets of a Todd jacket.
Even still, I'm missing about half-an-inch on each side. I will most likely be asking for the 6.5'' w x 7' l' size. I'm going to include a photo with the specs I want on the pocket.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

I prefer the 6.5"x8" pockets. May be they are not the most SA, but they can contain a small book, and other objects. I use my jacket every day, and these details are important. :wink:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Fair point. I never carry things in my jacket pockets so I don't need 'em large.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

"You can please some of the people, some of the time..."

Perhaps you could start the thread with a poll, "Tall pockets or small, which do you prefer?"

I find that around 6.5" wide and around 7.25" high is a good compromise for me, I wear about a size 40. The pockets still work and still look good. Partly it's to do with proportion, they shouldn't be too tall and narrow. IMO.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I've got pockets 6" wide and 8" high on my 42R jacket. A little wider might have been nice, but I like the height, although the bottom of the pocket is only about an inch and a half up from the base of the jacket.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Kevin Anderson wrote: the bottom of the pocket is only about an inch and a half up from the base of the jacket.
Yes but... shhhhhh... who cares?? :- 8)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Kevin Anderson wrote: although the bottom of the pocket is only about an inch and a half up from the base of the jacket.
Which is about right for a 'R'. The pockets on the Raiders were not very high off the hem according to most photos, they appear about the same distance away from the bottom of the jacket as the width of the storm flap.

The LC, CS and TOD however....
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Mine is an LC/CS though! I don't mind; I've got a jacket with features from all 4 films! :) I love it!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Mine is an LC/CS though! I don't mind; I've got a jacket with features from all 4 films! :) I love it!
LOL, burn it!

J/K

Glad that you are enjoying it. I think many of us obsess too much! Pity it's to warm to wear any of them right now.

Not pointing any fingers... :)
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

Bardon.

I understand your concern, but SA aside: Do you like the jacket?

If you do then why worry about SA. I love my jacket, but if a Indy Jacket teqnition got hold of my jacket; I am sure that they would say this is wrong, this is perfect.

I am just happy that I have an Indy Jacket; as I have said in previous posts; I never thought I would ever be able to afford one. I am so greatful to all that helped me the day I got the jacket: Kt Templar is one of those people.

I would say Bardon; ignorance is bliss and SA can drive a Gearhead mad ](*,)

I hope this helps you a bit.

Yes Kt; you are spot on. In England it is like the curse of the Indy jacket wearer. It is so hot here that a Raiders jacket made out of tissue paper would be too hot to wear.

I say again: IT'S HOT, REALLY HOT.

In these moments of parting from my jacket; I drink creamy cold beer, and then I forget the pain :lol:

Paul
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Doeindy wrote:In England it is like the curse of the Indy jacket wearer. It is so hot here that a Raiders jacket made out of tissue paper would be too hot to wear.

Hey, if England is hot, well... try to imagine WHAT IS ITALY THESE DAYS!!! #-o #-o #-o

T-shirt only, here, 24 hours a day! :wink:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana Strones wrote: T-shirt only, here, 24 hours a day! :wink:
Put on some pants! :D
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

crismans wrote:
Indiana Strones wrote: T-shirt only, here, 24 hours a day! :wink:
Put on some pants! :D
Hey, that's a good idea!! :D
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

It appears to be about the same temperature in Rome and London at the moment... way too hot to be wearing a leather :cry:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I am coming to Verona wednesday and going to visit Rome and off course Venice later that week..

glad to hear it is HOT there 8) I love the summer..

but I am taking my Jacket with me for the evenings..just in cause

bests
Holt
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Hey Holt, if you come in Rome don't forget to have a look at the Borsalino and the Belstaff (just for curiosity) shops. They are very central and easy to find.
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Doeindy wrote:Bardon.

I understand your concern, but SA aside: Do you like the jacket?

If you do then why worry about SA. I love my jacket, but if a Indy Jacket teqnition got hold of my jacket; I am sure that they would say this is wrong, this is perfect.

I am just happy that I have an Indy Jacket; as I have said in previous posts; I never thought I would ever be able to afford one. I am so greatful to all that helped me the day I got the jacket: Kt Templar is one of those people.

I would say Bardon; ignorance is bliss and SA can drive a Gearhead mad ](*,)

I hope this helps you a bit.

Yes Kt; you are spot on. In England it is like the curse of the Indy jacket wearer. It is so hot here that a Raiders jacket made out of tissue paper would be too hot to wear.

In these moments of parting from my jacket; I drink creamy cold beer, and then I forget the pain :lol:

Paul
Paul, some of your comments reign true!!! :D

SA aside, I do love the jacket. Now, as a *rookie* Gearhead such SA Jacket things like the drape and along those lines are not my concerns.

However, the appearance of such articles on the actual jacket (like the pockets) is important to me, and with Wested's excellent reputation and customer service I'm thrilled I can get changes made. I could overlook some other things, but the pockets are an issue to me.

I also try to keep in mind that this jacket is around $300+ USD (cause I had a custom)...and for around that price...I'm sure some of you can understand with what I'm saying here...I better get what I want. Cause that's a lot of money and I'd have to say it's probably the most expensive article of clothing I own. And because Wested is willing to make changes and such, I'm glad they stand behind their work and the customer. That's a very respectable thing for a business to do.

I know I'm not the first guy to send back a Wested for an alteration. :lol:

KT, I think I will use your measurements....if you don't mind. I like the dimensions and it's big..but not TOO big.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Not a personal design. It is the product of efforts to measure as much as possible the film jacket pockets by comparison. Tensof photos were studied. Size of pockets, flaps as well their placement was taken into consideration. Then many iterations were made by using life sized pockets cut into brown paper and placed over a real jacket until the best looking more screen accurate size/version was found. It was the one that looked most like the photos studied.

The only thing not SA about the design is that pockets are evenly spaced from the storm flap, while in the film jacket the pockets were off-center. (While it was possible to create the design with the pockets placed off center, preferred to have them equally spaced as the PLATON pockets were originally created to be used on my own jacket).

To date, only Todd's jacket has the pockets off-centered like they're supposed to be.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

My otr goat is 8" by 6 1/4" hope that helps anyone.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

PLATON, I'm a bit curious of what you mean by off-centered. Do you mean measuring from the zip on one side and the stormflap on the other, or from the zip on both sides?

Regards, Geert
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Off center pockets is usually a result of pockets been equally spaced from the zipper. If that happens, then when the jacket is zipped up, due to the fact that the zipper, being under the wind flap, cannot be placed in the middle of the wind flap, makes the left pocket appear to be farther away from the center of the wind flap i.e. the center of the jacket.

In the Raiders jacket the opposite peculiar phenomenon takes place. It is the right side pocket that's been placed farther away from the center of the wind flap. My interpretation is that this was a mistake during production. The maker was aware that the left side pocket was going to appear away so he placed the right pocket away too, to offset the difference. It seems he overdid it. Today Todd's jackets simulate this effect.

Wested has managed to correct this problem by placing the pockets after they sew on the zipper. Then they are able to zip up the jacket and place the pockets to an equal distance from the wind flap. Of course the process is not as simple as that. If they did only that then the result would be that the pockets would be in equal distance from the wind flap but not in equal distance from the side seams. To deal with this problem they adjusted their pattern so that the front panels do not have the same width, i.e. one of the two is a little shorter in width.

This of course is not SA but it is better looking and the only non SA feature I don't mind to have in my jacket.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Indiana Holt wrote:if you got PLATON pockets on your jacket then I cant see why you think that would be a problem.

I would love those pockets on my jacket.

sorry my friend..dont see a problem here....

bests
Holt
No offence Holt, but I do see a problem here! What you said is the equivalent of you ordering a Raiders and getting press studs on the collar, and me (for example) remarking that "Well, how is that a problem.. I'd love those on MY jacket!" ;)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I don't think that's right Castor. Comparing different sizes for same item is totally different to bringing in something which wasn't there in the first place. Also, Platon's pocket size is more SA than the standard Wested pocket. The Wested "clown pockets" have been a long standing problem. Now if you like them that way ... huge... good. For myself, I wish the pockets on my Wested were 1 inch smaller top to bottom.

By the way, I think Peter's pockets have improved lately, although you sometimes do see a terribly narrow flap on a stupidly long rectangular pocket.

Cheers
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

CM wrote:I don't think that's right Castor. Comparing different sizes for same item is totally different to bringing in something which wasn't there in the first place. Also, Platon's pocket size is more SA than the standard Wested pocket. The Wested "clown pockets" have been a long standing problem. Now if you like them that way ... huge... good. For myself, I wish the pockets on my Wested were 1 inch smaller top to bottom.

By the way, I think Peter's pockets have improved lately, although you sometimes do see a terribly narrow flap on a stupidly long rectangular pocket.

Cheers
You're veering a little off-track here, as my pocket preferences are not the issue here. I'm not arguing about which pockets are more SA, and which ones aren't, at least not in this thread, but rather simply that the original poster, Bardoon, seemed to like the size of his pockets on his first jackets, and when he ordered a second one, found the pockets to be smaller than his preference.

In my post, I wanted to remind everyone that even though this may be seen as the latest incarnation of the Wested jacket, people may still prefer one over the other, and just because it is the latest, doesn't make it the greatest, and the one standard that everything else pales in comparison to.

When someone recieves the latest jacket instead of the one that they prefer, it just rubs me the wrong way to hear them being asked "How is that a problem?". Again, no hard feelings, Holt.

I feel my press stud analogy fits, because backstage history aside, they evolved from not having press-studs to including them, due to input from Keppler and/or Cooper. Similarly, the Wested jacket evolved from having oversized pockets to having smaller ones, due to input from Platon and/or the Indy community.

I'm not saying which party is right, and which one isn't, because frankly, that doesn't matter. Just because I like the LC jacket design over the RotLA doesn't make the Raider fans wrong, and that they should be happy that they have press-studs even when they simply want a Raiders.

And when I speak of the Wested jacket as starting out having oversized pockets, I mean it. Wested, and Western Concessionaires may have their names used interchangably, but you'll have to remember that Western Concessionaires made the jackets used in the film. Wested did not, even though they may have the same staff, and to bring this discussion full circle, Wested represents the latest incarnation of Wested Concessionaires, in my mind at least.

I hope that clarifies my rationale, CM.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

non taken...

I just like the shape of the Platon pockets.

:wink:
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

This thread is worthless without pics.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

PLATON wrote:This thread is worthless without pics.
Right. Here are a couple of pics of the original Raiders pockets:

Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

Bardon.

I can see how the pocket thing would drive you nuts; thinking about what you said about forking out the money. Of-course you are absolutely right on that point; I stand corrected.

I look forward to seeing your jacket; gotta post pics.

Paul.