My first hat is here...a Magnoli HJ

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My first hat is here...a Magnoli HJ

Post by IndianaChris711 »

After long anticipation my Magnoli/AB/HJ is here. :D It was like opening a x-mas gift and now my gear is complete with this hat even though I have two more coming. :D The work by Steve is great and I absolutely love this hat. :clap: I guess hats come when you least expect it. :wink: I was not expecting it to come as I was not sure when Steve was getting some new felts in. I ordered January 24th or so. Here is my picture of me wearing the hat. What do you guys think?? I am working on the brim to try to get the hat to look like what indy wears. Any help on that?? The bash is an idol grab, and I have been working with it a little bit. Steve pretty much had it dead on, I just removed the turn since that is one scene I think that there is no turn, or if there is it is pretty small. Let me know opinions, or things I may need to do or buy for this hat. Where is a good place to buy a hat brush and something to keep the hat from shrinking to much?? Let me know your comments/opinions/suggestions and I will try to put up some side pictures and back pictures later.

IndianaChris

Last edited by IndianaChris711 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I love it and it looks great on you. Nice crease and the color is outstanding. Congrats on the new lid!!!

:)
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

Nice hat! The idol grab bash seems to be very popular now.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:clap: Awesome hat IndianaChris! I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying mine. Same idol grab bash and everything...more pics are needed though. Also, what steps have you been taking to tweek it? As for the turn, it's just preferance but the idol grab did have a bit of turn to it. I asked Steve durring a conversation once if I had to specify if I wanted the turn or not and he said only if I didn't want the turn in a look that had it, otherwise he knew what bashes had the turn and which didn't. :wink:

Johnny
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Looks awesome!

Great to see more Magnoli HJ's out there. Mine seems to get better every day!

Enjoy!
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

Oustanding, dude! Congratulations on an excellent hat!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I hear an echo.. the hat looks great. Honestly.

Is the ribbon black or super dark brown?
Venkman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Venkman »

Wow, I like how the color and ribbon on that looks, a lot. Im even more anxious to get mine now. So three months since the orginal order? Thats not too bad at all.
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Excellent, just amkes we want mine, so it should not be tooo far away now :whip:
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

theinterchange wrote:
Is the ribbon black or super dark brown?
Super dark brown. In fact, the ribbon is the original vintage HJ ribbon. :wink:

Johnny
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Really, really really really nice hat. I almost envy you, even though I got two hats on order right now.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wow, Thanks for the compliments and comments guys. I have put up a few more pictures of the hat. Sorry that the color may look a little off on those last three, kind of had a busy weekend and took a few pictures inside with some bright light on.

Johnny Fedora, I basically tweaked the bash a bit, the felt is a bit floppy and some of the bash came out a little bit during shipping. I just pucnhed it out and rebashed, so it probably got some good memory back from Steve's bash. :wink: As far as turn in the idol bash, there might be just a little, but looks pretty straight to me.

Venkman, ya it actually should have been less, but it was worth the wait anyway. Can't wait to see your hat.

IndigoJuliet, ya it is an awesome hat, you will be excited when it comes. I was not thinking I would even get this hat now, and it shows up to my house. Just awesome, hopefully yours will be getting there soon.

Mufflowne, where you getting your hats from?? Can't wait to see them.

I think the hat makes the difference, without people think maybe I was Indy or not, when I got all geared up to go show a friend and there was these kids outside and I turned around and I could hear "Hey Indy.." I guess this is only the beginning. Thanks again guys for the compliments and again thanks Steve on making a outstanding hat.

IndianaChris
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Wow! Looks geat IC!! :clap: :clap:
Congreatulations on your first hat!

Cheers!

Dan
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

These pics make the Magnoli hat look the best.
I've learned the hard way, as my first was a factory HJ Poet (from Todd) that I immediately messed up, then I got a Fed Deluxe, and now I'm waiting on a Christy's Adventurer and a Grey Camptown (not even sure which model at this point, it's in talks).
I might have to pick one of these up too, sometime. It looks really really really really really really really really really really good.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

It looks beautiful. I can't wait till I order mine.

It's been since april that you posted it... Hows the Magnoli HJ so far?
Can you post any new updated pics?
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

i can't wait for mine to come...May 25th ordered...at the edge of my seat
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

IC: Now that you've had yours for several months what do you think? Has is shaped to your noggin & fit even better? Is it your daily wearer?

Cheers!

Dan
Kevin_Kenobi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kevin_Kenobi »

=P~

Man thats a sweet looking hat! :D

I ordered mine about a month or so ago.......im really excited now! :D
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Nice hat.

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Dang...now I want one. :x

Good work!

:D
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

I love the color on that !! How soft is it ?

Nice hat indeed. Since Optimo no longer carries my color, I am thinking of going this route !
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

DanielJones wrote:IC: Now that you've had yours for several months what do you think? Has is shaped to your noggin & fit even better? Is it your daily wearer?

Cheers!

Dan
Wow, seems like this thread has gotten a lot of people interested. I really love the Magnoli HJ, I would say it is the hat I wear the most often. I pretty much wear it on days that are not raining and as long as it is not like 90 degrees or higher outside. When I first got the hat it was just a bit big, now it has shrunk to fit my head fairly nicely, not too snug, but not too loose. I will have to get some pictures up of it sometime this week. Nothing much has changed really, right now it is opened crowned for the moment, I will put the raiders bash back on anyway, but just wanted to make sure I get the turn on my hat right this next time around. Anyway, if your looking for a Raiders hat I would go with this one. It does cost a little over $300 but it is well worth it. Sorry I have not back to you guys, I was on vacation visiting family. I am back now so I will try to get you guys some pics of the hat what it looks like now this week sometime.

IndianaChris
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Got Maul wrote:I love the color on that !! How soft is it ?

Nice hat indeed. Since Optimo no longer carries my color, I am thinking of going this route !
The Hat is very soft, extremely floppy, you can bash the hat with your hands and with no water, you may want to use a little cold water if your bash does not stay the way you want it, but the felt is extremely soft. I would definately get one of these if you got around $300 bucks to shell out, it is a great hat and definately has the raiders look all the way.

IndianaChris
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

IndianaChris,
Is the hat TALL? does it feel tall? Does the top of you head ever touch the top of the hat?

Random questions, I know. But I'm on the verge of ordering one, and I'd like to know if it's a TALL hat.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

IndyFalco wrote:IndianaChris,
Is the hat TALL? does it feel tall? Does the top of you head ever touch the top of the hat?

Random questions, I know. But I'm on the verge of ordering one, and I'd like to know if it's a TALL hat.
To answer your question, yes the hat is tall like 5.5 inch crown. I don't know how much taller your wanting it?? My head does not hit the top of the hat, there really is not that deep of a crease in the top part anyway. When I first put the hat on my mom said that is a really big hat, meaning tall. I am not sure if it is cause I have a really big head, 23 7/8 inches. But that is all I have on your answer, yes it is a tall hat and meet the 5.5 inch crown height in Raiders. :D

IndianaChris
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Chris,
That hat just keeps looking better and better! Have you been tweeking the back brim at all or is that as shipped from Steve? I looks great!

Johnny
NCIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NCIndy »

I've really been on the fence ordering a HJ from Mag, but man, that hat looks nice!
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Explain HJ and Magnoli to the un-anointed please!

Post by Indiana Jake »

I see that Todd's Costumes offers an HJ fedora, as well as Indy Magnoli. Who does whatt to the hat? Does one hat have more detail than the other? I'd like an HJ, but I'm not sure what I'm getting or who to go with.

Regards,

Indy Jake
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Check out the Vendors Announcement section, page 1, for lots of info on the Magnoli HJ. It's one of the original threads on this hat, and one of the best and most informative.

Jack
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Explain HJ and Magnoli to the un-anointed please!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Indiana Jake wrote:I see that Todd's Costumes offers an HJ fedora, as well as Indy Magnoli. Who does whatt to the hat? Does one hat have more detail than the other? I'd like an HJ, but I'm not sure what I'm getting or who to go with.
I suggest you read this thread... viewtopic.php?t=25584&start=0&postdays= ... ghlight=hj

As for a quick answer the Magnoli HJ is the superior offering, to wit...
Johnny Fedora wrote::D Gladly...I only own one of the two hats mentioned but without question, my answer would be the Magnoli Clothiers Herbert Johnson. As far as I understand Todd offers a great product but it is just a stock Poet manufactured by HJ, sent to Todd open crowned and styled as you like. The Magnoli Clothiers HJ consists of a Poet hat body, and all of the parts of the hat separate. These parts are then sent to Fedora. The hat is then blocked by Steve using his old Raiders block, (turned if you wish) assembled, trimmed, ribboned, bowed (using the correct ribbon that only he and Marc can get), and then styled anyway you like. Oh, also, the stock Poet is a little more difficult to reblock as the sweat is sewn on by a machine thus creating a perforation along which it could tear off the brim during a reblock. The MC HJ's sweat is hand sewn allowing an easer/less nerve wracking reblock.
Oh, and...
Johnny Fedora wrote:...What we're discussing here are specs, and pros and cons to compare and contrast the two hats. When it comes down to it the IM/HJ happens to be the superior offering do to the different construction methods used in making the thing. Todd may even have found a more accurate block (maybe even Steve's Raider's block available at Lamond's) but it's still a factory built Poet. As such it has all of the other problems that are inherent to that hat already mentioned in this and other posts.
BendingOak wrote:I'm sorry if you can't tell the differnce in felts (AB & Todd's HJ). The HJ has to much air in it. It's almost like a spounge. As for the AB, it's very dense felt but still smooth and soft.
BendingOak is right and that's something I failed to mention. Steve also repounces, sands and then irons while on the block the rabbit felt raw hat bodies he receives from HJ. This not only results in a finer more accurate finish to the felt but helps to stabilize the rabbit, making it more weather and taper resistant. Is it the same as the steps he and Marc employ to "kill" the felt in a beaver AB? No, but it does greatly extend the life span of this hat and I don't freak out if caught out in some snow. I couldn't say that same about a stock Poet hat. Look, at the end of the day we all choose the hat that works for us, but consider this, a stock open crowned and styled by Todd, HJ is $299.00 open crowned,$318.95 styled, and $323.95 styled SoC fashion, and then whatever shipping and handling would be. For $305.00 (shipped) I got a hat that looks like the hat I wanted, hand made by a craftsman who knows these hats (perhaps more than he can reveal now :wink: ) intmately, that will last longer before returning to the cone shape that all hats start as (and then reblocked safely). When it all comes down to it...I'm not a wealthy person and so the responsible choice for me, was the Magnoli Clothiers Herbert Johnson fedora.

Hope that helps.

Johnny
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:lol: Actually, your right, I do need to post a couple of more angles. I have a couple of new pics I'll have to post in the morning. As for the look of the crown that might have to do with the proportions used to make the thing look good on my darnd round face. As far as the stiching, I never noticed that before. :-k Best to ask Steve himself about that. :wink:

Johnny
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I believe the ribbon is stitched that way on the Magnoli to help facilitate the reverse taper that is characteristic of this hat. The older HJ's were also stitched at the bottom of the ribbon, but not as many stitches were used and the ribbon was looser.

Jack
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I can't even make out the stitching on Chris's hat, but then my eyes are pretty bad. My Magnoli, has numerous stitches around trhe base of the ribbon, rather than just the 2 or 3, if memory serves, that the vintage HJ's had.

Jack
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I love the color, and it looks butter soft from your pics. Not bad for a first hat, not bad for a last hat either! Can I borrow it?

Weston
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

That is also the way my Christy's Adventurer's ribbon is stitched-- in the middle. Not sure of the significance either.

Weston, you are right, the color is out of this world and the hat has a very soft and luxurious feel. It's my favorite, even over my AB.

Jack
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Weston wrote:I love the color, and it looks butter soft from your pics. Not bad for a first hat, not bad for a last hat either! Can I borrow it?

Weston
...sorry weston.......chris711 said i could have it :P
NCIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NCIndy »

That is interesting about the stitching. I didn't notice the stitching in the middle of the ribbon of Chris's hat until it was mentioned. You guys definitely have some eyes for that stuff!

I looked at the hats on Mags website and couldn't see where the stitching is placed on the ribbon on the sable hat, but on the charcoal, I can see the stitching is at the bottom of the ribbon.

Either way, its a nice hat!!