What do you guys think of this whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What do you guys think of this whip?

Post by kalkamel »

Just upgraded from my 2 year old jrzjoe 4 plait 8 footer to this new one, an 8 plait 8 footer in dark saddle tan. I just got it so I haven't cracked it yet. Probably this weekend. What do you guys think?

Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I like it - it has a robust, action-packed look about it.

The hat looks great also - who made it?
jasonyong26
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jasonyong26 »

Where did you get the Fedora and the Whip?
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I like it! It looks real tough.
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

looks good to me; where'd you get it? :tup:

is that lid a Federation?
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

I got the whip from olde-tyme-stuff on Ebay. I didn't put my hopes too high and was pleasantly surprised.

Yes, the hat is a Federation. A Fed III to be precise.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

I have this same whip!

For the price I consider it to be quite a bargain. It cracks pretty well and looks good, and has a leather core instead of the usual cheapo stuff. I would like to know who is making them. The eBay description always says simply "made by a master whipmaker."

Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Doesn't look like much. But it looks more than Jrzjoe's smorgasboard of junk.

A good starter whip, but if it has no real guts (bolster, belly) then it won't do much but look good.
Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stinky Dragon »

It's a good-looking whip! I actually just bought one of the natural tan whips from that seller. It looked rather nice in the pictures, but I think I'll end up darkening the knot to give it more of Raiders feel.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I have an issue with a lot of people that call someone a master whipmaker, but then don't say who it is. In my opinion there are very few master whipmakers and I don't think many of them would be cranking out whips that retail in the $225 price range. In every other industry when someone achieves a master skill level their price goes up.

I'm not saying the whip is bad (I haven't tried one) but the title master is thrown around a lot these days and especially on ebay it doesn't have a name to back it up.

Personally I'd be wary of buying something that was made by a master, but then I didn't know who the master was.

xoxo

louie
http://www.bullwhips.org
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

To me, it looks like a pretty decent whip for $70 bucks. For that money, you can not really ask for more.

Also, this whip looks similar to the one offered by the Noble Collection as the "official Indy whip" discussed in other threads. They both have the same features and look. I'd bet they are made by the same company.

Bernardo
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

I have a jrzjoe whip that is natural tan with a 12 plait design. I like it for prop use but its not a great cracking whip. I have to say, after owing one and seeing yours, this is not made by the same people. Jrzjoe whips come unfinished looking and still need to be rolled and conditioned. This one looks old and weathered. Not bashing your find here, I think it looks good for the price, but I don't like the false promises this jrzjoe guy makes.
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

I asked those guys selling these whips who in fact was the "master whip braider." The reply was that they couldn't divulge their source, which I thought was pretty lame. But honestly, I wouldn't mind taking one and beating it around some.

Steve.
Long John Silver
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Long John Silver »

So have you got out to crack it yet? Any comments? :D

Thanks for posting - looks like a great "Indy-on-a-budget" whip.

Regards,
LJS
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

Tried it out yesterday. I can get cracks out of it much easier than my jrzjoe. Definitely a good beginner's whip.

Stinky Dragon, do post pics of yours. I'd love to see how a natural tan looks like.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

From the pics it really doesn't look half bad - especially for $70?!?! Hard to know without handling it, but it looks like you snagged a pretty good deal! :whip:
Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stinky Dragon »

I just got mine, and being my first whip, I really can't compare it with anything, but this thing is awesome! It took me a while to get the hang of it (and to realize there was a knot in the fall for shipping XD), but there's really nothing like that first CRACK and the "Did I do that? O.o"

The natural tan is actually a bit darker than I expected, but I think that's a good thing. Regardless of whether or not it's a good cracking whip, it sure does look like the kind of tool Indy would use.
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

The whips looks nice and for $70.00 I would call it a bargain even if it all it did was look good. My question is, and if you can tell, is the leather full-grain leather or "genuine leather press"? I am referring to the stuff belts and cheap shoes are made of. Just curious.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

I figured I would add, this whip cracks fairly well in the hands of a novice such as myself. I hadn't handled a whip in nearly 20 years when this was filmed (incidentally, Jessica who also appeared in the video had never handled a whip but seemed to be a natural with it!):

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... d=38720252