My Camptown Fieldmaster and meeting with Ken

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

My Camptown Fieldmaster and meeting with Ken

Post by IndianaSolo »

So Yesterday Ken and I met up so that I can pick up my fieldmaster. Luckily he and I had time to sit down, have some coffee and pizza(may not seem to go together but pizza goes with EVERYTHING :) ) and chat about indygear, hats, and other things. My recommendation to you all after meeting Ken , like most vendors that I've spoken to here, consider yourselves fortunate to be part of such a WONDERFUL group. Ken was great. He was nice, he had his gear on, he's a fellow pipe smoker, and he's down to earth and has great sense of humor. If you purchase from him you will get beyond his 110% customer service. The Fieldmaster:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg93 ... G_0316.jpg

Having already worked on a BCF, Dorfman, and an Adventurer, and seeing the hats at my hattery shop I knew that this hat was TOP NOTCH craftsmanship. From the way the felt... felt... to the colour which was beautiful. The ribbon matched beautifully and the fit was excellent. After a few hours of wearing it, the fit was PERFECT. Ken started the hat off for me, cutting the brim and putting in the dents, and I took it home and finished it from there. Since I have raiders keppler on the way I wanted this to be my LC hat and I couldn't be any more impressed or content with the quality. For the price $25 cheaper than a PB Blend and the Fed Dlx, this hat is a bargain. Ken even showd me his prototype that he's had for 3 years and it looked and felt great. All I was thinking on the way back home was "I can't wait to start growing with this hat" I already love it and am growing to love it more and more. Ken is great and will take care of you very well.
DanielJones wherever you are, I am joining you as a Camptown promoter. With my AB, Keppler, and now my Camptown. My hat searching has come to an end. (Keep and eye out on the Bazaar for my Akubra :wink: )

Cheers mates
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

Great looking hat! Looks good on you too.

Glad you had a great meeting with Ken.

Matt
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Wonderful photos, the Fieldmaster looks great and looks great on you...I even love the name Fieldmaster. It looks really nice quality and after seeing it on you it just makes me want one even more. The color and ribbon look really nice...

Thanks for the post. :D
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

That hat looks awesome. I can't wait to get mine. I'm really glad others who bought Fieldmasters are posting pics of them. It's very reassuring to see pics.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Lovely Meerschaum pipe in the background too.
Custom79
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Anticipation

Post by Custom79 »

Although I really liked the pictures I'd seen of the Fieldmaster, it was my conversations with Ken that led me to choose him to make my first fedora.

He has cheerfully informed me that I am in the mix.

All I can do now is wait.

Cheers.

C79
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Anticipation

Post by Mr. Z »

Custom79 wrote:Although I really liked the pictures I'd seen of the Fieldmaster, it was my conversations with Ken that led me to choose him to make my first fedora.
That is exactly right; I ordred a PB hat, and was content to stick with that, as well as my eventual AB. However, I saw a few pics and then talked to Ken. The guy couldn't be more sincere and passionate about his trade, and that is what put me over the top. I really hope I get mine before May 22nd! :D

The hat looks great on you bud!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think Ken posted in another thread that if you order with him now he will have your Fedora ready in time for the premier, but that was about a week ago. If you put in your order before then I guess you should be good.

Nice looking Fieldmaster by the way Solo. Congrats.

Dave
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Thanks Dave; that is really good to know!

It would be great if I could get it by next week, as I am showing Raiders to my freshmen to compare Indiana Jones to Odysseus. It is a fun and intruging assignment ... plus, most of them have never seen the movie, which is insane to me!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Yeah, I'm surprised at the amount of young people that don't know who Indiana Jones is. And the only Homer they seem to know is Simpson.

Dave
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

DR Ulloa wrote:Yeah, I'm surprised at the amount of young people that don't know who Indiana Jones is. And the only Homer they seem to know is Simpson.

Dave
Ha! Funny that you mention that, as I introduce The Odyssey with a picture of Homer Simpson. :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Now that is great teaching! You might even give Indy a run for his money in the classroom!

Dave
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

How old are your students? If the movies all came out before they were old enough to see them, and their parents we're not such big fans, why would you expect them to know these movies?

My girlfriend, Manuela, has been living in the USA for many years, and grew up in Germany, but until I showed her Raiders on DVD and she saw (most of) Last Crusade last week, she had never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies before. Yes, I was incredulous too, but that opened my eyes. There's a whole world out there that hasn't seen these movies yet.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

DR Ulloa wrote:Yeah, I'm surprised at the amount of young people that don't know who Indiana Jones is. And the only Homer they seem to know is Simpson.

Dave
That's pretty sad. Being young is no excuse. I'm 19, and I would consider myself ignorant if I didn't know about Homer's Illyad or The Odyssey. I was really into Greek mythology at one time thanks to movies like Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans. Both movies that came long long long before my time. It always bothers me when people don't make an effort to learn about the past. At least subjects with real historical significance.
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

I think that was one of George and Steven's purposes for bringing indy back after 20yrs. Maybe it will reach a new generation. In 100yrs Indy will have his own section in Mythology textbooks :D

"Who knows? In a thousand years even you might be worth something" :D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I feel the same way. I'm pretty young and find it appalling when kids my age don't know anything about history or literature. Its all a simple matter of trying one's best to turn his back on ignorance (MOD EDIT: WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE.). Example: you might find someone in our age group that has read Homer's Odyssey but I can almost guarantee you that less than 10% of youngsters won't have read Virgil's Aeneid, a work of literature that I believe to be as important as any Odyssey for Greek literature or Beowulf for Germanic literature(especially since there is not much from that time).

Dave
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Hero of a thousand faces.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think it is great that Lucas and Spielberg have brought Indy back, if for no other reason, than for a whole new generation being able to experience a great adventure film. There has not been a great adventure film since The Mummy, which was probably close to ten years ago now.

Dave
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSolo »

Piker wrote:Hero of a thousand faces.
Piker, I have Campbells Power of Myth and am on order for the next edition of Hero with a Thousand Faces. I am REALLY looking forward to reading both of them.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Nice color on that has as well me thinks.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

My current crop of students are freshmen (next year I have juniors and seniors), and they are all between 14 and 16 (barely a few are 16). It stands to reason that most of them wouldn't think to see an "old" movie that was made in 1981. When I first discovered it, I too was incredulous that they hadn't seen any of the films. I sent this story in to the Indy-Cast, and Ed read it on the Podcast. It's Indy-Cast # 17 if you're interested.

Anyway, the reason I brought it up is that when I introduce this lesson late next week, I want to come into the classroom in my Fieldmaster. That would set a great mood for the lesson!
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

IndianaSolo wrote:Piker, I have Campbells Power of Myth and am on order for the next edition of Hero with a Thousand Faces. I am REALLY looking forward to reading both of them.
Great choices; powerful stuff!
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Mr. Z wrote:Anyway, the reason I brought it up is that when I introduce this lesson late next week, I want to come into the classroom in my Fieldmaster. That would set a great mood for the lesson!
That's awesome. I think that's a great way to bring history to life for them.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Sorry for chiming in so late, I was in Pomona all day Saturday taking a Land Surveyors exam. Eight hours of brain Draino.

Man, Solo, That looks great! Ken and you did a fantastic job of it. You can see why I speak so highly of his hats & him. He is great to work with. Happy to hear that you lie what you got and the service behind the lid.:D
I suppose my next two lids will be the Kepler and an AB as well, sort of rounds out the collection.
Congratulations on your new hat! Wear it in good health. For that matter, where it where & when ever.

Cheers!

Dan
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Solo, have you thought of getting his 1945 Metropolitan as well? :wink:

Cheers!

Dan
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I've thought about the Metropolitan, but we'll see. The budget will be tight with all the Hasbro Indy action figures this summer. ;)
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Well, that settles it, then.

I'll be ordering within by the end of the week. (Gotta wait on payday!!).

Is Ken still doing the COW bash and trim for $175?
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

DoubleOhSeven wrote:Well, that settles it, then.

I'll be ordering within by the end of the week. (Gotta wait on payday!!).

Is Ken still doing the COW bash and trim for $175?
Terrific.. GLad you like what you see and YES the COW $175.00 sale for the Model 1936 and Model 1945 is on until I need to cancel it for safety reasons.....or something like that..... :shock:

Stay tuned for more info on the Model 1957 Legend Camptown/AB model too !

Peace
Ken
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Can't wait to hear more news about it. :D

Cheers!

Dan
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I hope today is the day for the big news!

Looks like I'm an archaeologist now!