Poll: Are you going to the premiere in Full Indy Gear?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Are you wearing Full Indy Gear to the Premiere in your Area?

Yes
42%
No
20%
Maybe Some Gear
34%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 208

IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

WOW! I am shocked at the almost 40% yay and 40% nay! Think about it for a moment!

You have spent between the last 10-15 years preparing, modifying, remodifying, and yet again re-re-modifying your gear to be screen accurate! Not to mention all the money spent on newer version, upgraded versions and different movie versions of the gear! Now it has been almost 16 plus years since the last Indy movie and you are NOT going to gear up?

What gives? Where are those "hardcore" gearheads that will never ever receive a special moment to wear your gear especially if you were born post 1989?

Gearheads unite! Wear your stuff but leave your prop gun at home! I couldn't be caught dead NOT wearing my gear to the premiere here in Los Angeles! I mean come on now! This is Hollywood!
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

In Canada there's a new theatre opening in the GTA.

First 100 people lined up in movie related costumes get a movie a week for a year.

Gearheads? You listening?
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

IndyWannaBee wrote:WOW! I am shocked at the almost 40% yay and 40% nay! Think about it for a moment!

You have spent between the last 10-15 years preparing, modifying, remodifying, and yet again re-re-modifying your gear to be screen accurate! Not to mention all the money spent on newer version, upgraded versions and different movie versions of the gear! Now it has been almost 16 plus years since the last Indy movie and you are NOT going to gear up?

What gives? Where are those "hardcore" gearheads that will never ever receive a special moment to wear your gear especially if you were born post 1989?

Gearheads unite! Wear your stuff but leave your prop gun at home! I couldn't be caught dead NOT wearing my gear to the premiere here in Los Angeles! I mean come on now! This is Hollywood!
My sentiments exactly. I've never been to an Indy film in theaters before, and now's my chance to majorly geek out.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yep, that's the way I see it too. :junior: -M
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I've worn my outfit to 2 showings of Raiders, and it was a hit both times. After the Atlanta show, a few groups of people wanted their picture taken with me, and in Macon, anyone dressed in costume took home some cool freebies (tee shirts and free movie passes). The manager (decked-out in an embarrassing rendition of our hero's outfit) brought me down in front of the packed theater for a round of applause. I'm definitely not a crowd person, but it was a rather unique and enjoyable moment in my life. :D So yes, I'm going all-out for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull this May (and I'll have the pics to prove it). :whip:
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

I am wearing it all. It's been a long time in the making, but IJ4 has prompted me to finish the gear. My AB will be here next month, I have a Magnoli shirt/pants on the way and I am ordering a whip in the next few days. And then that's it. After 8 years of collecting gear I will finally have it all. And it will all be SA too! :)

My cousin recently returned from Iraq and she brought me some nice Arab attire, so a friend of mine is dressing up in that and I am wearing the full Indy Gear. So it will be Indy and the "Cairo Swordsman". And hopefully I'll be seeing IJ4 with some other Indy Fans from here and they will be in gear too.

I have my concealed carry permit, so a revolver in the holster may just scare off anyone who wants to make comments! :wink:
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I think we're looking at this the wrong way, the gear actually has functionality in the movie theater. For instance:

- The jacket = most theaters have the AC on full blast, it could be cold in there, lest not forget that the premeire IS in May, not to mention your dater or significant other might get chilly - best to be prepared :wink:

- The bag = To hide all the Indiana Jones M&M's, Snickers, and Dr. Pepper you can fit

- The shirt = pockets to hold THE ticket stub, you don't wanna lose that thing! Plus, it looks cool and not TOO many people in your neighborhood will have one like it.

- The pants = same reason as 'The Jacket', except sharing your pants with your date or significant other might NOT be a good idea :shock:

- The boots = provide traction on slippery surfaces, such as Coke stained popcorn covered floors

- The whip = You know those annoying little pests talking, text messageing, and getting up during the movie? Not a problem once you whip the phone out of their hands :lol:

- The hat = simply because it looks cool

You see? Real world functions for "Indy-world" gear :lol:

:wink:
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

So is it legal to carry a whip around? I am in Michigan and I have no idea how to go about finding this info out.

I feel that is one of the 3 most important/distinguishable pieces of Indy Gear. Those being 1st the Fedora, and the Jacket and Whip are Tied for second, maybe a slight lead for the whip.

Any info about this would be very helpful,

Thanks,

Josh
wannabe
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by wannabe »

Ya I would like to know if the whip is okay to carry. I have been arrested for carrying a sword around before and I really don't want to go back there for another stupid thing.

Bests,

Adam
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

Not just gear. I'm bringing an entourage :lol: . I've got my gf going with me as Marion and my best friend going as Short Round and I'm gathering some others too.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Does bringing the Belle of Lincoln count? :-k

19 years is worth celebrating right?
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

wannabe wrote:Ya I would like to know if the whip is okay to carry. I have been arrested for carrying a sword around before and I really don't want to go back there for another stupid thing.

Bests,

Adam
I would say that if you had a concealed carry handgun license or something of the sort you would be fine. A Smith and Wesson is much more deadly than the whip.

And considering you are at the premiere of INDIANA JONES, and everyone who is there knows Indy carries a whip, you should be fine. If you are worried, just tuck it inside the MKVII until you are into the theater.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

- The hat = simply because it looks cool
Correction: the hat = it makes a great popcorn tub.'

And yes, I did totally steal that from Binkmeister Rick. :) :junior: -M
CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

I'll be in full gear, for any midnight showing the good state of NC might have - and the matinee the following day...
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Weston wrote:Argonaut, as a fellow Oregonian, I can assure you that the whip is safe if you want to go with that. It is classified as an "agricultural tool" rather than a weapon. A Webley or S&W though, that's another matter!

I'll be wearing an Indy jacket definitely! It would be weird for me not to wear it as it is a part of my attire every day. As to going crazy with the full gear at the premeire, and I say crazy with the utmost respect to all who plan to do so, it really depends on your community. We have three colleges in my area, so you are pretty safe doing whatever wacky thing you want. We have Ren Faires, the Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooters (I rent from a couple of those!), the Caldonean Games (lots of kilts!), and the historical re-enactors of Fort Walla Walla.

I could probably go in full gear and not be alone. However, though I'm sure there are gearheads in this area (Milton-Freewater, OR, Walla Walla, WA in case anyone here is reading!) I don't know who they are so I would be going on my own. Maybe I'll talk to theater management and see if the want me to come down in full gear and crack the whip in the lobby a few times.

Weston
Not to far from my neck of the woods I'm over in Prairie City/John Day area. You know just when you thought you couldn't get further into the sticks you find where I'm living :lol: ...However this summer I need to start looking for a place in La Grande because I'll need to be on campus for school.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I know I will regret it if I don't go in full gear. Not to mention it would let down my girls!

Come on you naysayers, if indy could lower himself into the snake filled well of souls, you can survive going to your local cinema in FULL GEAR!

Tron
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, I mean it's not as if you're being asked to...I dunno...go under a truck or something is it? :junior: -M
littledragon88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by littledragon88 »

I would definately go in full gear...but choose to keep the gun holster at home, in case people mistaken me to be armed.

Anyone in Trondheim, Norway who is planning to show up in full gear at the premiere?
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

I only have my Alden's and a Close Enough Shirt right now so I can say for !00% that those 2 items will be worn...
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

The Bullwhip is classed as an agricultural tool , although some incorrectly regard it as a weapon.

If you are going in full gear, ensure that the whip is tied together to show any authority figure that it canot be used readily. Unless you have prior permission to display your skills.

I've never had any problems in full gear in public, authorities immediately get the idea, they see I'm not a psycho running around whipping people.

Secondly, speak to your local police office and inform them of your intent to wear full Indy gear in celebration of the film, that way if you are stopped you can ask them to reveiw their records that you informed them, I have done this in the past and they are always accomodating.
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

I live in an apartment, therefore no yard to crack the whip in. I take it to the nearby forest preserve. The park rangers have come upon me when they hear what sounds like a muffled gun shot, then they see an overweight guy in a fedora cracking a bull whip. The whip isn't considered a weapon, and as long as I'm not trying to attack animals :lol: They don't care. You shouldn't have any trouble.

Schmidty
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I plan to dress in full gear as well, with whip, I will have my holster just no prop gun, I figure that will be as close as possible. Its Indiana Jones I have been buying all this gear, and have wanted to do this for a long time, there is no way I am not dressing up in the gear. I spent good money for this gear I want to see good use of it. Plus guys you might pick up a few girls with the gear, impress them with a deadly whip crack inside on the carpet or if there is grass outside, that would work too. :wink: I just need my hat and I will have all my gear, it won't be an AB, but it basically is one since it is a Magnoli/AB/HJ. So I should be decked out in all the gear by the movie's opening night.

IndianaChris
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

whipwarrior wrote:I've worn my outfit to 2 showings of Raiders, and it was a hit both times. After the Atlanta show, a few groups of people wanted their picture taken with me, and in Macon, anyone dressed in costume took home some cool freebies (tee shirts and free movie passes).
Thats cool man, I grew up in Columbus, Ga. not far from Macon or Atlanta.
Plus guys you might pick up a few girls with the gear, impress them with a deadly whip crack inside on the carpet or if there is grass outside, that would work too.
Now you're thinking...lol. I've always said chicks dig the gear.....Just don't forget to show them where it doesn't hurt. :wink:
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

No.

Not me.

Not unless I'm planning on going by myself. LOL.

But the truth is, no matter how I'm dressed, I'll still be just as excited when the Paramount mountain opens the movie.

Hmm...although, being a cop and all, I could legally get away with carrying that Smith and Wesson in that new holster I just got.....
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Going in full gear would be kind of fun, but I imagine once seated in the theater all that stuff will be a bit of a bother. So most likely, just Fedora and shirt , if cool enough jacket too. Still thinking though. My daughter may talk me into it!

-raider 57
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

There's only one reason I can think of to go in full gear, and that's to be noticed. But, personally, I'd prefer people looked at the movie rather than at me.
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

Good point Satipo, I like to keep a low profile anyway. Besides if any of the guys I worked with saw me dressed in all my gear at a movie....I'd never in a million years hear the end of it.

I'll save it for the costume parties.
IndyinExton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyinExton »

The last time I went to a movie in 'full gear' was when Empire Strikes Back came out when I was a teen...I made a complete Darth Vader outfit (the Don Post deluxe mask currently stands guard on my file cabinet in the office).

I am going in full gear (sans pistol), for two reasons...1..Indiana Jones is my fav. movie character ever....2...I am 'forcing' my kids to go with me so I can have one last shot at embarrassing the heck out of them before they get too old to really care :-)

All I need at the moment is the shirt, and a decent pair of good enough boots (Aldens are a bit pricey for me).
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

IndianaChris - Are you planning on seeing the movie in Lafayette/West Lafayette? It's been my experience that moviegoers here don't get hyped for movies like they do in Chicago where I grew up. Not even for the midnight showing . . . at the theater by Purdue! You would think that college students would be a little more enthusiastic about movie premieres! I haven't been to a movie premiere here where anyone has been dressed up, so when KOTCS premieres, I may where a few pieces of gear (I don't have much anyway), but I'll be surprised if anyone else shows up in gear.
Gary2880
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gary2880 »

thankfully wearing a hat, leather jacket, brown trousers and shoes is a little more incognito than a big furry chewbacka :D (not a star wars fan so not sure if that is spelt correctly)

would be nice to go whipped up and do a little show infront of the screen during the trailers but i'm afraid not!
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

I most certainly am going to go to the KotCS premier in all my close enough stuff. I mean, this is the first movie I actually want to go to in costume.
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

I thought I read........"going in Indy costume is too much gear to wear to a movie".........or something like that!

You haven't been in a certain "pirate" ensemble for a 9 hour movie marathon!! Indy gear is minimal compared to that! I am actually looking forward to minimal gear.

A co-worker of mine who is actually a REAL archeologist and I are trying to arrange a marathon of the first three movies so I may be able to geek out prior to May 22! I'll report the comfort factor of Indy gear after that marathon!!! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No need for that report. Quite a few folks (me included) have worn our gear for full 2 and 3 day summits, and found it quite comfortable. :wink:

Hope you get that trilogy film showing scheduled! If you do, post the announcement in the 'Events' section of the forum so folks will know about it in your area. :D

HIGH regards! Michaelson
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

IndyFrench wrote:No. I made this mistake in 1999 - Here's the true, untold story and I will be brief.

I go into the theater at 12 a.m. for the first midnight showing. The theatre is packed and I walk into the bottom aisle of the stadium seating - and NOT ONE OTHER PERSON is dressed up. The entire theatre stops talking almost all at once - probably 300+ people - and stare at me in bemused silence. I take my seat, now very self-conscious and feeling betrayed by the footage on the local news (where were all those people?!) and then am doubly humiliated when the film is gosh-awful.

In the event that KOTCS is a cinematic embarrassment and in the interest of not being humiliated a second time, I am going gearless, Wested and Adventurebilt at the most...if that...
Well, first of all, KOTCS shall not be god awful, I won't allow it. :wink: Secondly, being the only one dressed up means more attention and fame to you bro! I am a full time armorer/costumer and have gone to many premieres being the only one dressed up and have learned to deal with any butts that snicker or make fun. I ALWAYS dress up for events like this because there is always at least one fan who is just awestruck and makes it all worthwhile. I have had countless parents come up to me and thank me for letting their son or daughter take a picture with me. It really makes their movie experience that much better.
IndyWannaBee wrote:I thought I read........"going in Indy costume is too much gear to wear to a movie".........or something like that!

You haven't been in a certain "pirate" ensemble for a 9 hour movie marathon!! Indy gear is minimal compared to that! I am actually looking forward to minimal gear.
Come on C, I have been in many costumes heavier than Jack in full gear for many many hours for many days in a row. :wink: I must admit, I occasionally leave off Jack's frock coat for the weather's sake. One of the things that definitely attracted me to Indy's costume is that it's "normal" (relative term) clothes though. Should be very comfortable to wear and sit through a movie in.

[hopefully insert KOTCS Indy here soon]

:D

My real question is for those dressing the part, are you wearing Raiders or CS gear?
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

That is some bad ### armor you got there. Very cool.
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Kudos on the master chief, very impressive. I dress up for stuff as often as possible. I went to Pirates 2 in costume a few days after it came out. Oddly enough, a little kid told his mom "Look, it's Johnny Depp." How far removed from the magic are kids these days? A few years ago on halloween I went to burger king for lunch (high school) dressed as Luke and a little kid actually recognized me, which made me very happy. That kid was raised right. Haha.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Since I am without a whip or holster at the moment, I won;t worry about security.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I went to Revenge of the Sith in full Vader costume (which took years and loads of $$ to put together to look 'professional'), and I was treated like a rock star. It was the most bizarre night of my life. I quit counting after 300 pictures were taken mostly by cell phones. Other Vaders came and bowed down before me which, honestly, made me feel really uncomfortable. I was so hot and tired by the time the movie started that I just drove home...didn't even see it at the premiere! I went the next night(dressed casually) with my wife and had someone say, "Hey, weren't you Vader last night?" Weird stuff. I probably won't wear anything Indy besides my everyday stuff (jacket, shoes). Maybe when I get home I'll dress up and run around the neighborhood hurting myself with my whip!

-Corey
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Weston and Argonaut! You guys should come up to the Tri-Cities for the premiere...you know, step out of the small towns to a real thriving Metropolis! :lol: :roll:

-Corey
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Vaderbreath wrote:Weston and Argonaut! You guys should come up to the Tri-Cities for the premiere...you know, step out of the small towns to a real thriving Metropolis! :lol: :roll:

-Corey
Haha, I don't know. If I could find a theater with even less people I probably would. It's gonna be hecka crowded just at the one in Walla Walla probably. I hope I don't have to camp out just to get a good seat, but whatever it takes. 8)

I sort of don't like theaters that much, but I make an exception sometimes. I would feel like less of an Indiana Jones fan if I didn't see it in theaters on the first night in as much gear as I can muster. Don't know if I'd wanna go aaalllllllllll the way over to the Tri-Cities to watch it, but man it's good to know there are some other COW members in the area. :)
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

redsleighdown wrote: Come on C, I have been in many costumes heavier than Jack in full gear for many many hours for many days in a row. :wink:
Yes but have you been in GOW or MC armor for 9 hours straight sitting down? :x

By the way....show off!!!! :lol:
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I'll be wearing it...

Post by M1917 »

...if I can get it all together in time. I had the whole costume before I enlisted in the Corps. That was 20 years ago! So I had to start all over again from scratch. I've got my MK VI bag, my web belt, my Webley holster and just received my shirt and pants from L.L. Bean. Lee Keppler has my order for fedora, gunbelt, and bagstrap. My Aldens are on order...hopefully, they'll get here before the movie opens. I still need a whip, a Webley replica, and my jacket. I'm selling a few of my guns to fund my project.
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arlington Beech »

I'm probably going to just go low key with the jacket (assuming I have i by then that is), maybe the fedora.

If there were a few people going dressed up then I'd probably go full on, but I dont think theres that many people here in Ottawa (only 2 that I know of...)
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

I was unsure at first, but I voted yes. I'm sure there will be a midnight showing around here somewhere and I'll definately wear full gear to that.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

For all of you voting YES, good on you (and I count it as "full gear" if it's as complete as you've got).

Remember, even if you are the only one in gear at your theater, you are representing a group that is World-wide!

Those of you going in "partial gear" good for you also!

Tron :)
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

Good luck....let us know how it turns out guys. Good or bad.
Christo Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Christo Jones »

Yes. I plan to go to the premiere in full gear. With a group of friends that will consist of at least 4 Indys. Maybe a Marion and an Elsa too. I can't wait.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Costumes at the movies

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I plan on wearing full gear, but with an empty holster. The Arstee1 replica S&W is too real looking to take any chances of a police office pointing his weapon at me. My girlfriend will wear the Marion outfit we've been able to get so far (Streets of Cairo), but it's getting her to stay up for a midnight starting time on a weeknight, when her normal fall asleep time is 10:00 p.m.

When the Lord of the Rings movies came out, I didn't think there was a bigger fan than I was, but I didn't have a costume and I wasn't willing to camp out for hours or days waiting in line.

But for Pirates of the Caribbean 2, I had a different idea and went to the midnight show dressed in my screen accurate Capt. Jack, less the weapons and weapon replicas (empty baldric to show the leather and buckle, though). I had wone costume contests with this outfit at work (over 1,200 employees) and the Arizona Renaissance Festival, so I was pretty confident in my look. There was no line of people outside (blazing hot even at midnight during a summer release), so we wandered aimlessly into the theater to find it already packed and only the last two seats together in the back row of the first section.

There were various other piratey types in the stadium style seats, and lots Mickey Mouse ears with pirate bandana, but only one other full Capt. Jack, who was apparently hired by the theater to entertain the crowds (and a better Jack impersonator, he was, to boot). The seating style, where one row is elevated significantly above the one in front of it, allowed me to wear my tricorn without blocking the view for the person behind me (I also asked if they could see with the hat on).

Before Pirates 3 came out, I got invited to join the local pirate reenactor group as special guests for the rescreening of the original movie and the opportunity to see the first ever showing of the World's End trailer. The local TV news channels were there and I made it on the news broadcast, along with other pirates, and another Jack or two as well. Being in the company of 20 other costumed folk in my group and tons of others, too, was a lot easier this time around. I say this is a once in a lifetime chance, and I'm going for it.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Ok fine, if Marc comes through with my AB holster and shirt in time for the premiere . . . I'll dress up.
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

If I get all my gear in time for the premiere...#### YEA I'm go all Indy out!! :D