Saturday Afternoon Mini Indy Keychain

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

LemonLauren
Vendor

Saturday Afternoon Mini Indy Keychain

Post by LemonLauren »

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon, and I wanted to take a break from working on normal whips - relax a little. So I started fooling around with some scraps and ended up spending way too much time and effort making a mini Indy whip keychain. The strands were all so tiny and hard to work with, it didn't end up being particularly relaxing, but at least it was fun. :-)

The whole braided length of the whip is about 9 1/2 inches long, uncoiled.

-Lauren

Guardian Devil
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Guardian Devil »

:lol: I love it! My keys could sure use something like that. I bet I wouldnt lose them then!
Great work :D
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Very cool! 8)
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Nice work
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

nice work :D

I like make some miniatur whip like this

little biger stock whip is at my awatar
purewhips
Vendor

Post by purewhips »

Hey that looks really good. I like mini whips. You did well LemonLauren. :D

Gus Caicedo Jr.
www.purewhips.com
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Very cool....
I need to get one of those. Somewhere :roll:
R
Arthur Dent
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Arthur Dent »

Does it crack?
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

Arthur Dent wrote:Does it crack?
Probably more of a "SNAP"
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

When I first opened this thread I thought it was a newly licensed keychain and wondered where this store "Saturday Afternoon" was located :) . Looks great, very clean, could easily be a liscensed item. This is one of those items that many will wish we could buy and would love to have. Really awesome work and idea.
Ben
Last edited by MACHONE on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Nah, it really doesn't crack - it's only 10 inches long. But you can get a little bit of a "pop" noise out of it if you really try. It's definitely mainly just for looks, and for fun. It's even got the fall tied on the same way big whips do. :-)

After all your posts, I'm considering making a small handful more to sell. If anybody's interested, send me a PM.

-Lauren
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Nice one Lauren! You know seriously, You could market these as Christmas ornaments or to the action figure customizing crowd with out any problem and they would sell. Though since it was my idea, I call dibs on royalties’ or just make me a full size whip and we’ll call it even :lol:

Dan
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Looks like I'm making a few more for some COW friends who PM'd me, including a couple with the KOTCS color scheme. I just finished one this morning with the KOTCS colors - here's some pics. If anybody else wants one, speak up.

Image Image

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Swamp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swamp »

That is my KOTCS whip. As I said in the pm, words do not express my utter amazement in how good that looks. I can't wait to have it in my hands. Oustanding work LemonLauren.

Swamp
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Those are great whip keychains! I'm quite impressed. Lauren is indeed a very talented whipmaker.

A few more size comparison pics below. Enjoy! :-)

Bernardo

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I just recieved my mini whip today, and I have to admit that you can't really call yourself an obsessive compulsive gearhead until you carry your carkeys on your bullwhip! :P

I'd post pictures, but you'd only have to refer to the above for reference. And if you ever wanted an Indy bullwhip on a budget, this certainly gets the job done! ;) :P
Gary2880
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gary2880 »

Swipe me they look briliant :D Sent you a PM
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Very nice Lauren ! What do you use for a foundation?
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Cracker --- Believe it or not, it's the same basic foundation as in full-size whips, except really REALLY a lot smaller. :-)

BTW, someone specially requested a keychain in natural tan and I really had a good time braiding it up. I decided to have a little extra fun and made it a "Raiders style" miniature... The ring knot is a bit darker than the thong, and I even found some white 'roo to make a "whitehide" fall.

Here's a pic of it, below. The knotwork is ridiculously tiny, and braiding with strands that are thin enough to be in a 48 plait (the strands get so small by the point I have to split and taper each one by hand!) makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. But I have to admit - it's still nice to have something different to work on in between full-size whips. :-) If anybody else wants one, let me know - I'm up for making a few more.

Thanks everybody,

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com

LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

As of right now, everyone I made a keychain whip for has either gotten it, or it's in the mail now on its way to you... except for the one person who wanted one without the keychain ring for his 12" figure. Don't worry though, I'll be starting that one after I'm finished with the full-size whip I'm working on. If anyone else wants one, email me at lemon@midwestwhips.com.

Also, just as a reminder to those of you who have one... Keep in mind that these little things are just like their big brother whips in many ways. If they start to dry out, wipe a teeny bit of leather dressing on them; if you leave them out in they sun, they'll darken; and if you scrape up or abuse them too much, they could break. 'Roo leather is pretty tough, but it's not steel! :-)

It's hard to get a feel for how small these things are... Like, the pictures Bernardo posted of them are quite a bit bigger actually than the real thing (on my monitor anyways). Here's a picture of an extra dark saddle tan keychain I made for someone inside a coiled up super-old Morgan, and another Raiders keychain inside a newer Morgan.

Image Image
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Those Keychain whips are cool, But i gotta tell you, I am loving that old Morgan! If you guys ever sell it, I call dibs! :lol:

Dan
PepiloJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PepiloJones »

Got this little piece of art in the mail today.
Many thanks to lemonlauren.
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

Those are so cool!
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I'd like to know more about that "super old"Morgan!
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hi BWB,

If that old Morgan was for sale, I would already own it, :wink:

It is on loan from a whip collector that I was doing some repair work for. And it is VERY similar to the Raiders whip that Sergei documented. It was made around the same time as that one was(within a few years). If he ever sells it, and I buy it, and then I decide to sell it, I'll let you know! :lol:

Moses,

What would you like to know about it?

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I was interested in the age and ownership but you've answered that. What about the diameter of the handle? And the thickest part of the thong?
Does the whip still handle well? Has it got a very limp transition? And does the butt foundation twist or is it still rock solid?
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

I thought I'd give Paul a hand to answer your questions, since he's been very busy answering emails and braiding in the last few days.

The diameter of the handle is 20mm. The diameter at the thickest part of the thong is 22mm. In other words, it is very skinny. I knew what the dimentions were before seeing the whip in person, but when I finally layed my hands on it, boy it looked so skinny!

It's dimentions are consistent with other older Morgan whips, including the documented Raiders bullwhip.

The whip is well worn, and the transition bends noticiably. You can see it in the pics next to the transiton of an almost new Morgan made in 2000. The bent transition makes it look very very Indy.

The butt foundation is rock solid, and by that I mean it won't move or twist. The whip handles well IMO, and feels lighter to modern Morgan whips. I weighted it on my digital scale, and it is indeed lighter. It craks very nicely, but you can feel the bent transition, more so if you are used to crack the whip with a lot of wrist action, as opossed to using no wrist action at all, like David Morgan advocates.

Now some pics I took for you Indy fans. The other 2 Morgans were made around the year 2000. Enjoy!

Bernardo

www.delcarpiowhips.com

kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

maybe a bit greatest than show formerly, but continuously mini-whip 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjcjZb07j4M