Keppler Fedora Photos

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Keppler Fedora Photos

Post by gabrielle »

All I can say is BEAUTIFUL! This hat is fantastic, I love it. The felt quality is A+ soft, pliable and the color is one of the best I've seen. The bash is spot on Raven Bar and I asked for the brim to be even on the sides not flipped up on the right. It is exactly what I asked Lee to do. The fit is perfect too, just a hair big that will conform perfect after a week or so of wear. I'm so glad I went with the Keppler the hat is not like the color on his website, it's much darker and rich looking. I'm very pleased so much so that I'm sending Mr. Keppler a Starbucks gift card just to say thanks...

He told me recently that he has Zulu pith helmets available now too in white and kahki though they are not on his website yet. I might pick one up for my nephew. Anyone interested has to call Lee at 619.647.6744.

I'll post photos of my new Keppler as soon as I can later tonight.

-Regards all
Last edited by gabrielle on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

pictures... 8)
wannabe
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by wannabe »

ya post pics, I have ordered a Keppler so lets see
;0
indianalex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by indianalex »

Picture please!!!!

We are waiting for you...
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Congrats on the hew hat!!! :D I almost pulled the trigger on the Keppler a time or two and still like them. Good call on the bash too, one of my two all time fav looks, the first being the Idol Grab.

Johnny
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Sorry everyone! Here are the pics of my Keppler.

Last edited by gabrielle on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
indianalex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by indianalex »

yeah, great my friend. I'm happy for your pics!!!
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

It looks like a beautiful hat. My only concern is that the black ribbon looks too dark. I know the "authentic" ribbon is "almost black" brown, but I just think this is too much on the black side. Of course It could just be the pictures, but it looks the same on the Keppler site. What do others think? BTW you got it much sooner than you expected, didn't you?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think it is the picture. I have seen other Kepplers here and the color is always SA. In the picture, the ribbon does seem a little dark. Can you take some other photos (sorry to be a pain), maybe with no flash, if you had it on? Or maybe find better lighting? I am just so interested because I want to know what to expect when my Keppler arrives in about a month.

Dave
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Sorry to disappoint gents but the ribbon is black. Lee is looking for new ribbon that will be SA, dark brown almost black, but now uses black. I like it so it doesn't bother me. In fact I'm so excited I'm running around in nothing but my underwear and a fedora! hahahahaha

Seriously though this hat is a perfect fit and bash. I absolutely love it. You will not be disappointed at all, this hat is worth much more than you'll pay for it. Also you can change up the ribbon easily enough. Todds has Petersham ribbon that is the exact color in the movie. You can look at it here.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/acces ... ribbon.htm

Also my Keppler came in just about 7 weeks. But the wait was well worth it!!!
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

Looks like a fantastic hat.....Nice job on the bash also.

Enjoy it!
Vindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vindy »

Congrats on the fine hat and thanks for the pics - it gives me something to look at while waiting for mine. I spoke with Lee today and it looks like my Keppler fedora will be shipping next week! :D
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I think the ribbon looks black on the raiders hat. I know they say it is dark brown. I prefer the black ribbon.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I also prefer the black ribbon. I think it looks great on a brown fedora and on the gray. But if Lee switches to the SA ribbon it'll look so dark that it's going to look black anyway. Check the Todds link I posted a little up on this page. To me that ribbon looks black, but it's really SA dark brown.
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Just received my Keppler!

Post by rrhanselka »

Now I'm really excited.

I've got a Keppler on order, same hat, same bash, everything.

Great Hat. I really love it and can't wait for mine.

Many Thanks
Randoman
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It depends on what scene you are talking about. The iconic pose where we first see Ford after using his whip at the begging of Raiders I think is a black ribbon. I actually prefer the black ribbon look. If I was going to go for the beat up look the Cairo hat, even though the Keppler I ordered is in a Cairo bash, I would go with a dark brown ribbon. The hat does look great Gabrielle. Congrats!

Dave
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

gabrielle wrote: Todds has Petersham ribbon that is the exact color in the movie. You can look at it here.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/acces ... ribbon.htm
I've seen Todd's ribbon firsthand...it is extremely close, but not the "exact" color of the movies, at least not Raiders. :wink:

Very nice looking Keppler, by the way. :tup: I've always admired the felt color on those Kepplers. 8)

-GCR
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Ok now that I finally have my Keppler can someone tell me how to store it once I take it off, if I ever do!

Does it lie on the crown, brim, what? I think I asked once before, but never got a clear answer. So what is the best thing to do once you take it off?
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

First, that's one terrific hat. :clap: Lee reallllly nailed it! Second, do not set it on it's crown. That will trash the bash. In the absence of a stand, or rack, the way you have it sitting now isn't too bad, but I would prob store it on the ring in the hat box Lee sent it in. My hat is resting on an improvised rack near the rest of my gear. The sweatband of the hat rests on the over sized knob of the hook so as to not destort the felt. It's not perfect but it'll do for now.

Johnny
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

GCR Wrote:

I've seen Todd's ribbon firsthand...it is extremely close, but not the "exact" color of the movies, at least not Raiders. :wink:

Great hat!! I just received four lengths of Todd's ribbon and have to tell you that I have to agree with GCR, it's close but I still ended up having to dye it with Rit dark brown dye.

Best regards,

Indiana 7
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

That is a good looking lid! Congratulations! :clap:
Which of the pictures represents the true color of your new lid? The back & side are more of a rust color while the first/front is more chocolate. I understand the lighting, I'm just curious. Do you have a shot of you under it? :wink:
Good job and congratulations!

Cheers!

Dan
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Johnny Fedora wrote:Second, do not set it on it's crown. That will trash the bash. In the absence of a stand, or rack, the way you have it sitting now isn't too bad, but I would prob store it on the ring in the hat box Lee sent it in.
Well, most people are going to tell you the opposite and tell you to set the hat on it's crown and not on the brim. The bash can be popped right back in, if it pops out, which it won't, if the hat was just sitting there. If you are wearing a hat and bang your head on something, it is going to mess up the bash. You would just have to fix it again the same way. No big deal.

Good advice to put it back in the hat box until you can find a hat rack or some way to store the hat that will protect it to your satisfaction. There is a little plastic hat rack that you can just set the hat on that sells for around five bucks and is available from several vendors.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:oops: Oh, thanks Buff. I remember that an old timer once corrected me for setting my hat on it's crown, but what you've said makes sense. I stand recorrected. :wink: Good call on the little plastic stand too. I still need to get one of those, if only for traveling.

Johnny
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Well Johnny, I'm no hat expert, but that is what seems to be the consensus around here. I admit that I set my fedoras on their brim temporarily sometimes. I just make sure that the front part of the brim is hanging over the edge of whatever the hat is sitting on. I do try to set it on the crown as much as possible though, if I don't have some type of hat stand to put it on.
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

That's a great looking hat! :) Is the liner blue like on his website.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

All the pictures I have seen of Keppler hat interiors have had the blue liner. I really like it, even if it isn't SA. I just wish the ribbon wasn't black. I don't feel confident that I could replace the ribbon and make it look good enough. Otherwise they are beautiful hats!

Matt
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Steve Delk has also posted to NEVER set your hat on the brim, but to set crown down. The weight of the hat pressing down on the brim will cause it to distort.

Crowns and be reshaped, and quite easily. A distorted brim is a matter of a heavy iron trying to straighten up the ripples.

I have always put mine either crown down, on my hall tree, or when not in rotation back in it's box.

Regards! Michaelson
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Morning all. The lining is white. I will post more photos as soon as I get coffee going.

If you didn't see it Lee Keppler is changing his ribbon to a more SA very dark brown as soon as he finds some to his liking.

Thanks for the info on hat storage. It makes sense really to not flatten out the brim by storing it that way. I just wanted to make sure I do it right. My hat is resting peacefully in the box it came in right now until I wake it up for coffee...hahahahah Then right back on my head!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's the way to do it! :D :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

How are those hat stands that Todd offers? Are they any good?

Dave
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

The photo of the front of my Keppler is most accurate for color. I was standing way back so the flash wouldn't wash it out. The other 2 pics were taken close up.

Also the little avatar I use is pretty much the true color. I think it's the same photo of the front only resized smaller.
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

SWEET!!! I can't wait for my keppler to arrive. Lee said it should be soon. I may even get my expedition around that time.
I am also (finally after reaching Steve and making the order) waiting on my CS AB. I noticed you also want the camptown which I am interested in as well. I think it's a bug thats going around. I thought all I would need is 2 hats and now I'm thinking about getting my fourth!! :shock:
I hope the keppler lives up to our expectations (as Im sure it will)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I tried calling Lee yesterday and missed him. Will be calling to order here in a few hours. I myself am wanting an idol grab bash.. so the liner is white? made no difference to me.. but was just interesting to hear.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

As soon as I get myself in gear here I'll post some photos of the inside.

Does anyone know how to post the pics right inside the message here instead of using links? Don't know how that's done yet, but I have seen many posts with the photos right in the body of the post.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

In Photobucket, there is a list of options beneath your photos. You can post your photos directly by cutting and pasting the "IMG Code" option directly into your post.

Jack
Vindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vindy »

Gabrielle, did you soften the fedora by crumpling it as Lee demonstrates in the video on his site? Or did you find the hat fine out of the box?
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I haven't done the smashing of the hat yet, but I plan to. The hat did however feel great right out of the box, soft already. I wore it all day yesterday from the moment it arrived and I actually forgot I had it on it's so comfortable.

BTW - The thing about not grabbing the pinch wasn't even an issue. Somehow when you hold a superior hat like that your hands automatically go for the brim to put it on or take it off, I never once handled the pinch and I wasn't even thinking about it.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Michaelson wrote:Steve Delk has also posted to NEVER set your hat on the brim, but to set crown down. The weight of the hat pressing down on the brim will cause it to distort.

Crowns and be reshaped, and quite easily. A distorted brim is a matter of a heavy iron trying to straighten up the ripples.

Regards! Michaelson
I knew that, but when I admitted to setting my fedora on it's brim, I should have added that I usually committed those sins before I had my coffee. I know that is not an excuse, but I offer that as I beg forgiveness. Steve, don't kill me.
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

viewtopic.php?t=26814&highlight=

Considering that a lot of people either put their hats on the self or on a hat stand, placing your hat on it's crown doesn't seem appealing for some people. But then again that post was for daily wear.

I'm trying to figure out whether putting the hat on a hat rack will distort the shape in any way.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

More photos without flash.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That Lee does fine work, doesn't he? :D

Regards! Michaelson
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

now that is a beauty.
congratulations! :D

CJ
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Looks much better without flash. It looked great before but truly amazing now.

Dave
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Ahh so, it is a Beaver Brand body.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep.

Regards! Michaelson
wannabe
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by wannabe »

Mine should be here in a bit, thanks for the pics they will hold me over until it arrives.

Bests,

Adam
indiana lurch
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: In the Dark Den of a school Cafateria, Niagara Falls, Canada

Post by indiana lurch »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so jealous of the hat...I ordered mine from Lee back in september and I still don't have it :cry: :cry: :cry:

The last email I got from him said that it should be here by the end of the week but it's thursday and nothing yet.

IL
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

indiana lurch wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm so jealous of the hat...I ordered mine from Lee back in september and I still don't have it :cry: :cry: :cry:
You are too funny! I know Lee has to wait sometimes for his bodies to come in. And then he might have some 7 1/8, 7 and maybe 7 3/8, but no 7 1/4. So the 7 1/4 person has to wait until those bodies come in. Honestly though it's worth it, the hat is a beauty.

Thank you all for the thumbs up and may the Raiders bashes (my favs.) live on forever!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

How does one get ahold of Mr. Keppler?

Post by M1917 »

Gents,
I plan on making a purchase from Mr. Keppler. I've sent him two emails. I'm sure he's a very busy man. How long does he usually take to respond? Once contacted, how long does he usually take to process an order? How does he size his hats? And lastly, is there any other way to contact him, other than his email?
Many thanks,
Fritz
Vindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vindy »

M1917,

Give him a call - that's the best way to reach him. His number's in the first post in this thread. Just remember he's on Pacific Time...