Artsee S&W replica - A "sticky" situation

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Artsee S&W replica - A "sticky" situation

Post by squidkidd »

So I just received my Artsee S&W replicca I got off ebay and it looks amazing. There is just one problem I have with it though and I was wondering if others had this issue and what they've done about it. It feels kinda sticky from the paint. Is there something you can spray on it to take this feeling away. I'm also worried about storing it in my new AB holster for fear of the paint coming off on the leather. advice gearheads?

Regards,
Brian
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

very sticky indeed

Post by Rambler »

It may always be that way.
There are certain combinations of paint and plastics which never "dry". Certain paints and coatings, epoxy and silicone for example, lose some volume due to evaporation of volatiles, but actually harden or "cure" to due a chemical reaction taking place. Some plastics have ingredients that will inhibit this process and never allow the coating to fully cure. It also makes it harder to remove the paint and start over since it is partially cured. Do you know any details on the materials used to make the piece? It would be easier to know what to do in that case.
For now, try placing it on something non-stick such as parchment paper or wax paper and place it in a warm place (NOT hot) like a window sill or near a radiator etc. and wait a few days to see if it just needs more time to cure. If after this it is still tacky, it will probably be that way for a very long time. I have seen this problem where people used model paint like Testors on vinyl or other soft plastics.
If you decide to try and remove the paint, definitely find out what the casting is made from before selecting a paint remover
If you cannot find out and still want to remove the paint, proceed cautiously. Use Q-tips to test a solvent in a small area to see if it removes the paint but does not soften the plastic underneath.
Start with rubbing alcohol, then mineral spirits and finally acetone. Iwould avoid using kerosene or gasoline unless it is metal underneath.
Proceed very carefully with acetone since it can ruin many plastics. do not just dump a bunch on the part and have at it or the details in the casting may rub right off with the paint.
Good luck.
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

i don't know if it would be useful here but testors had a sealant or clearcoat in spray cans to keep chalk 'aging' and 'smear' marks from rubbing off models at one time. regards, hanson.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Yeah, mine has a very slight tacky feel to it. It has been that way since I got it and it is still the same. I never have seen the finish come off or anything negative about it.
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D Mate....I would suggest you let Artsee know. I am should he would replace your replica with a new one. He's a great guy to deal with:)

Regards
Christian
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Got mine on the way...we'll see how it turns out.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Mine never was sticky. Maybe a shellac or some kind of laquer?
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I contacted artsee (which I suppose was the obvious) and we'll see what he says. I'm really wondering if maybe he just forgot a final step or something in the painting.

Regards,
Brian
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Sometimes, multiple layers of paint applied too close togeather will result in such a sticky surface.

Krylon at times has this problem. Also, you want to avoid mixing paint types or brands as this also may have an affect on paint curing.

I was painting Ghostbusters parts this fall and had that problem with the paint not curing fast enough, resulting in a sticky surface. :(

I've noticed the problem most with "metallic" finish paints overlaid with "flat" paints.

Russ
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

For what it's worth, I got mine yesterday and no tackiness whatsoever. There is a little warp on part of the casting, but not enough for me to care.
artsee1
Vendor

Post by artsee1 »

Hi Gang.

I wish people that want these prop guns would buy direct instead of over ebay as I never know who I am dealing with over there and can give more personalized service to you all when you tell me who you are and buy direct. The stickiness was probably coming from the old mold which has been replaced. I told of this in another thread some time ago. I have not heard of it lately though. I had to use release to get the last few out of the old mold. Problem is solved now that it has been redone with a superior material. A light coat of Krylon crystal clear should be all you would need to alleviate any stickiness on those few models that may have had some if a good soap and water bath does not do it.

I sometimes do not even know. Sometimes people want them fast and they go out as soon as they can. On these ones I can never know for sure if it cured all the way because I do not have them in my hand as soon as they are dry enough to send out.

Like I say if you want one deal direct, Everything will be better for both of us that way. I thought everyone knew that I or I would have said so sooner. I just happened to see this post so I stopped in to say what I said.

Ebay is not the way to go unless you want the feedback stuff and resolution abilities and all that at your disposal but I have sold enough now that I think people will tell you I can be trusted to come through as I have for eight years with props of various natures. Please contact me at artsee1@earthlink.net and I will get you what you need if I have it with personalized service and fast follow up emails.

Thanks.

Paul