NH's Trousers; RoLA v.s. ToD & LC

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

NH's Trousers; RoLA v.s. ToD & LC

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Here's something that I doubt anyone has even mentioned... I noticed that Noel Howard offers trousers in either RoLA style, or ToD & LC style. But does anybody actually know what the difference between the two styles are?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Even there on the main site, it says that the Wested pants are noticeably lighter than the Noel Howard pants. I don't know what causes this discrepancy.

I don't know if Wested changed the color of their pants, I don't know if NH changed the color of his pants. I don't know which pants, Raiders or ToD/LC that NH offers, was compared to the Wested Pants.

What I do know for a fact is this. I have a pair of Wested pants. I also have a pair of NH Raiders pants. These pants are the EXACT same color. I actually believe that they are made from the same material from the same supplier. As I have said numerous times, without looking at the labels, I can't even tell them apart.

Anyone that doubts my word, can come to the Finger Lakes Summit in a few weeks and check it out. I will have both pairs there.

If I knew that I was getting an identical pair of pants, I probably would not have bought the second pair, which was the NH pants. I usually only wear the wool pants at summits and times when I want to dress in the full costume. So, I don't wear them all that much. One pair would have been fine. I listened to all these folks that say the NH pants were soooooo much more accurate and I spent the money to get the second pair. When I got them, I discovered that they were identical to the Wested pants that I already had. I guess it is not too bad to have a backup pair.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Buff, I think you should do a hidden label test at the summit, see if attendees can tell the difference and correctly identify which comes form which maker. :)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Hey KT,

That sounds like a plan.

.....Ummmmm...... :-k ......I guess I better be careful about who checks the label on the pair that I'm wearing! :shock:

#-o I could put them both on hangers and wear something else. \:D/

I just need to watch bink and make sure he doesn't get my wallet. :evil:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I was going to use the term "Taste Test" but thought better of it! :)

I nominate DejaThoris as an impartial judge.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

buff,

i betcha i can tell which brand it is if i can pour pepsi on them....deal? :lol:

castor, i have the NH raiders and the NH tod/lc pants. the raiders is noticeabley darker than the tod/lc which are noticeabley more "pinkish" (ie - has a light naturaly rosey undertone). the pockflaps on the raiders pants are more angled but not as scalloped as what you see on screen or what is offered on the paris pants. the pocket flaps on the "pinks" are pretty much what you see on screen.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indiana G wrote:buff,

i betcha i can tell which brand it is if i can pour pepsi on them....deal? :lol:
I take that to mean that you have personal experience in this matter. :shock:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

well...er...not really, i just wanna know if you'll let me pour sodee-pop all over your nice cavalry twill wool trousers :D
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana G wrote:buff,

castor, i have the NH raiders and the NH tod/lc pants. the raiders is noticeabley darker than the tod/lc which are noticeabley more "pinkish" (ie - has a light naturaly rosey undertone). the pockflaps on the raiders pants are more angled but not as scalloped as what you see on screen or what is offered on the paris pants. the pocket flaps on the "pinks" are pretty much what you see on screen.
Thanks! Just what I was wondering, as the color of the pants seemed to vary depending on the lighting and whatnot in each scene. Example:

Raiders

Last Crusade

So I suppose the ToD&LC version would be the more S.A. of the two? I'll certainly have to place an order for one! ;)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

It also depends on the settings of your monitor.
Last edited by Indiana on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Indiana wrote:It also depends on the resolution
Umm no, the size of the picture has no effect on the shape or color.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

What are you talking about, I never said that! :wink:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

VP, is that second photo you posted from RoLA, or LC?

Heh, I just love the expression of the pilot on the first photo... He looks like he's going "Uhm... Oh kaaay...."
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The second is LC, just before "you call this archaeology?".

The pilot is Frank Marshall BTW, for the new guys who didn't know yet.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Speaking of Franks, apparently Frank Welker (Fred in Scooby Doo) did some 'special' vocal effects in this film... I never knew that.

Those screenshots that VP and I posted does make it seem like the LC pants are darker than the Raiders pants I suppose.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

According to the Main Site the RotLA pants are a grayish brown (clipper hat anyone?) and the ToD and LC pants are a more reddish color.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Personally, I think the Raiders pants compliments the leather jacket better, but I have a feeling that the reddish brown pants will be the one in Indy IV, making it the official Indy pants (since it will be in ToD, LC, Indy IV).
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

RotLA is _the_ Indiana Jones movie, the others are just sequels. 8)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I think of it as Indy's life story! ;)

In fact, I didn't get into Raiders until I rewatched it recently... previously I had only really liked Crusade.

Now this puts me in a tough spot... I was initially going for a LC gear look, but the pants... I just like those pants better! ;)
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

Post by ij1936 »

I have one of each of Noels' offerings. The TOD/LC pants are lighter in color compared to the Raiders pants.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

ij1936 wrote:I have one of each of Noels' offerings. The TOD/LC pants are lighter in color compared to the Raiders pants.
Does the color of your pants match the above screenshots? All this info just seems so contradictory! ;)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

my nh lc/tod pants are pretty bang on to the last picture of indy up there. my rotla nh pants are closer to henry sr.'s pants on that spanish beach than any of the other pants on the screen caps.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Some of these comments make me believe that some of these pants vendors just get wool cavalry twill material whenever and wherever they can, and maybe the colors are all over the place, when comparing purchases made throughout the years. Makes me wonder how consistent the colors really are.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dye lots can vary, so that could play into it, too.
CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

I find it very interesting to see the splotchy dust stains on the Raiders pants in the flying wing scene - the contrast they provide could be very helpful if someone was as in-depth to isolate the color of the sand vs. the contrast to the pants...might isolate the true color…

Or I might be over-thinking this…

Wouldn’t be the first time :P
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

CarolinaQuirk wrote:I find it very interesting to see the splotchy dust stains on the Raiders pants in the flying wing scene - the contrast they provide could be very helpful if someone was as in-depth to isolate the color of the sand vs. the contrast to the pants...might isolate the true color…
Spoken like a true gearhead! ;)
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

Post by ij1936 »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:
ij1936 wrote:I have one of each of Noels' offerings. The TOD/LC pants are lighter in color compared to the Raiders pants.
Does the color of your pants match the above screenshots? All this info just seems so contradictory! ;)
Raiders: yes; LC/TOD: no. You have to understand that there are too many variables when trying to achieve something like the 'screen accurate' look. Variables like: the time the pants were made, i.e. 1980, 1983, 1988; variations in fabric color from when originally purchased from the vendor prior to making the pants; the amount of artifical aging done to the pants prior to shooting; the type(s) of artifical aging done to the pants prior to shooting, and just the wearing of the pants during the shoots and re-takes. I don't even consider 'screen accurate' when I am buying anything gear related. I know that the original makers of the costumes are not going to reproduce something different than what was originally used. I am just happy to have the items, be it pants, shirts or jackets, that were made BY the original makers of the costumes!
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Here are two pics of me wearing the different pants so you can see the difference. :wink:

First Raiders and then Temple of Doom/Last Crusade

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Got any shots in the same lighting conditions?
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I agree... Even the shirt color looks different in the two pictures, making it hard to really tell the difference...
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Um, guys, both pairs of pants were taken in the same sort of lighting and the first shirt is a Magnoli and the second one is the NH shirt. :wink:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Oh yeah? What happened to your skin color? Or the bag? The first pic is taken without flash, the second with flash.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Aww, give it a rest, VP. :lol: